Foreign tourist dies at Chiang Mai zipline attraction

webfact

Foreign tourist dies at Chiang Mai zipline attraction

cm.jpg
image: Khaosod.co.th

CHIANG MAI:-- A Chinese woman has died whilst riding on the Flying Squirrel adventure zipline attraction in Chiang Mai.

Wang Qi, 32, died on Sunday afternoon at the adventure attraction, which is located in the Mae Rim district of the province.

Khaosod reports there was initial confusion over the cause of death of Ms Qi.

It is alleged the operator of the Flying Squirrel told police and friends of the woman that she had died of a heart attack while riding on one of the tree top ziplines.

However, the group of friends asked the officials from the local Chinese consulate to try and help them determine the true cause of death.

A post mortem carried out at Nakorn Ping Hospital revealed that Ms Qi had suffered multiple broken bones in her neck and shoulders.

According to Khaosod, witnesses alledge they saw the woman plummet to the ground after two employees of the attraction failed to hold onto Ms Qi as she approached a platform on the zipline.

The Flying Squirrels website describes the attraction as: “as a truly fun adventure experience that YOU would have wanted to create! Engineered and built by a group of fun-loving experts, we have pioneered a one-of-a-kind attraction. With a combination of ziplines and our exclusive obstacle course built high in the treetops, we will take you on a journey of invigorating fun and exhilarating excitement. “

Local police are now investigating the incident.

tvn.png
-- 2015-10-13

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah heart attack. Reminds me of that bloke in Phuket that got splattered by the bungy jump; so they took him to hospital in a pick up and claimed he'd "fallen over".

These ----ing people, honestly, some of them deserve a right hiding.

When is Thailand going to wake up and create a government department whose job it is to monitor and check these dangerous attractions all over Thailand? Thailand wants tourists and their money, but they could care less about their lives.

What am I thinking of, anyone working for this mythical department will be rich through bribery and looking the other way. Stupid me!

When is Thailand going to wake up and create a government department whose job it is to monitor and check these dangerous attractions all over Thailand? Thailand wants tourists and their money, but they could care less about their lives.

What am I thinking of, anyone working for this mythical department will be rich through bribery and looking the other way. Stupid me!

These organisations exist in other countries under different names, but their main aim is to prevent equipment failures and to ensure that safety barriers and the like are installed.

It comes with having been colonised I guess, and some countries have a way to go.

Equipment checks, electrical safety to name but two. Bring it on Thailand!

She worked, saved up her money, paid for an exciting trip in Thailand, perhaps her first time outside of China and came back in a box at the young age of 32 all due to the negligence of the owner and workers of a "fun day out" park in Northern Thailand, who tried to conceal that very negligence.

Over 16 years, nearly 17,000 people were treated for zip line-related injuries including broken bones, cuts and sprains; most occurred in the last four years of the 1997-2012 study.

google it. it is happening frequently in USA also

Over 16 years, nearly 17,000 people were treated for zip line-related injuries including broken bones, cuts and sprains; most occurred in the last four years of the 1997-2012 study.

google it. it is happening frequently in USA also

How many fatalities down to shoddy equipment and what were the repercussions for the operators?

Multimillion dollar lawsuits for a start I would have thought.

....foreigner deaths...suicide....alcohol...medical condition....heart attack....

...low-life scum that pass for humans.....

...this is not a Buddhism that I am familiar with......

...for want of witnesses they would be getting away with murder.....and may still......

better save face by saying it was a heart attack.

"thainess at its best"

I doubt saving face was their main concern....more like saving money by attempting to prevent a huge claim for damages on the basis of negligence on the part of the Zipline company.

It is alleged the operator of the Flying Squirrel told police and friends of the woman that she had died of a heart attack while riding on one of the tree top ziplines.

<deleted>? Surely they are not this foolish...

How could anyone who runs this sort of activity business have the disrespect and complete disregard for human life, to come out with such a BLATANT lie as this when someone has died due to their shocking / non-existent safety standards?

This business should be closed down, and the owners fined & jailed for negligence on their part.

What will actually happen? I suspect NOTHING.. no compensation, no business closure and no jail time for the people responsible for this persons death.

What a complete and utter disgrace. RIP to the victim.

Thailand needs to wake up to this kind of thing and do something about it.. Maybe next life.

2.699 THB to zipline between a few trees? What?? It's not only a health hazard but also a big ripoff.

Note to oneself; no National Parks, no Siampark in BKK, no Emerald Pool in Phuket, no Crashing Squirrels in CM, no Koh Tao, pffft, nowhere left to go.

Might just have to start going to Cowboy again, seems to be a bit cheaper and safer than all other 'tourist attractions' wink.png

Utterly not surprised in the slightest.

I went to survey flying squirrels back in 2013 for a corporate team building activity ( their choice - not ours)

Almost every time I finished a 'run' the "instructor" would unclip me BEFORE attaching me to the safety line around the tree, meaning me - a 100kg guy was being held onto by a 50-60kg guy, if i had lost my balance and fell backwards, I had only his personal strength to stop me. this goes completely against protocol that no client be unattached at any one time - the whole reason you have two "cowstails" or attachment points.

ZIPLINES are totally 100% safe, IF they are run by competently trained staff. I put this in my report, but the chinese client still decuided to do it anyway!!!

ziplines in Thailand are not 100% safe because of cowboy operaters, who know and care nothing about personal and client safety.

Well, all the overdosed foreigners in Pai/ Mae Hong Son province seem to have heart attacks as well. Doesn't look good if they'd write the truth, does it?

And the full moon party overdosed guys seem to have a very weak heart as well, regarding TAT.

Never wear bikinis at the beach and you'll be safe. ( Goes for men and women..) facepalm.gif

Just to note that while many zipline operators are cowboys; Flight of the Gibbon are not. Never been anywhere with such attention to detail when it comes to safety in my life. Please don't lump all the operators together - those guys are Aussie run and fanatical about their safety record (as they should be).They also give a lot back to the communities in which they operate.

Safety and Thailand. Just does not go together!

My 30 + years as a safety inspector and auditor in Australia and overseas did not prepare me for the numerous events which I witness almost on a daily basis. I have read and re read the LoS safety legislation, which I may add is a close relation of a lweaky sieve, there are are there no suitably qualified (nay honest) safety inspectors out there.? and pray tell where is the duty of care. (silly question, I know)

Archived