Foreign tourist dies at Chiang Mai zipline attraction

webfact

32 year old dying of a heart attack, yeah right. These people are a f*%king disgrace. They should be arrested initially for nothing more then lying and investigated thoroughly to determine who is going to jail over failing to take ensure this womans safety.

Utter cowards, all of them from the minibus driver who flees the scene of an accident to gangs attacking drunk tourists and now idiots who are in charge of an obstacle course where safety is priority.

Thailand at its best. The decent Thai people must be thoroughly ashamed.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to go a bit earlier this month since I am in chiang mai, then I looked at tripadvisor comments about the attraction, a LOT of people were saying how unsafe and how unprofessional the staff is, decided not to go. Instead of closing bars at 12 am can't they close this shit unsafe ripoff of an attraction ?

Just to note that while many zipline operators are cowboys; Flight of the Gibbon are not. Never been anywhere with such attention to detail when it comes to safety in my life. Please don't lump all the operators together - those guys are Aussie run and fanatical about their safety record (as they should be).They also give a lot back to the communities in which they operate.

I've seen posts about accidents there.

Quick google and .....

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/14/two-tourists-injured-chiang-mai-zip-line-adventure

More here .....

http://www.travbuddy.com/Flight-of-the-Gibbons-v463949

Where is folkguitar when the Zipline killer Companies need him to defend whats going on in this mess of a country ... ?

No doubt this shady Zipline business in CM will continue - Authorities dont care how many foreigners is getting killed cause of negligence from owner and staff bah.gif

Only one thing to do : Stay away ...

The borrow from JFK, let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that visitors to this country truly do take their lives in their hands when they come here.

Each and every TV forum member has a duty to warn their friends and family of the risks!

If the message gets to enough people then, hopefully Thailand may change (but, don’t hold your breath waiting).

Over 16 years, nearly 17,000 people were treated for zip line-related injuries including broken bones, cuts and sprains; most occurred in the last four years of the 1997-2012 study.

google it. it is happening frequently in USA also

Very interesting statistics. Are these figures that you quoted specific to Thailand, South East Asia or World wide? Thanks.

Regardless, my condolences to her family and friends.

2.699 THB to zipline between a few trees? What?? It's not only a health hazard but also a big ripoff.

Note to oneself; no National Parks, no Siampark in BKK, no Emerald Pool in Phuket, no Crashing Squirrels in CM, no Koh Tao, pffft, nowhere left to go.

Might just have to start going to Cowboy again, seems to be a bit cheaper and safer than all other 'tourist attractions' wink.png

Correct! There is no 'Emerald pool in Phuket' clap2.gif

When is Thailand going to wake up and create a government department whose job it is to monitor and check these dangerous attractions all over Thailand? Thailand wants tourists and their money, but they could care less about their lives.

What am I thinking of, anyone working for this mythical department will be rich through bribery and looking the other way. Stupid me!

I trust you are not suggesting that there is bribery in Thailand

Safety and Thailand. Just does not go together!

My 30 + years as a safety inspector and auditor in Australia and overseas did not prepare me for the numerous events which I witness almost on a daily basis. I have read and re read the LoS safety legislation, which I may add is a close relation of a lweaky sieve, there are are there no suitably qualified (nay honest) safety inspectors out there.? and pray tell where is the duty of care. (silly question, I know)
Croiso Taff, As you know,in Australia and many countries "Duty of Care" is not just a term, but, and as you mentioned, it is Federal Act of Parliament, a law. In your professional opinion, do you think that the accidents in tourist attractions are to blame on the way this act is written or interpreted in the Thai act (if it exists)? Or by the lack of the numbers of safety inspectors, or their inadequate training, or possibly all the above? Also, how many employers, industrial, theam park or others, would be totally aware of what constitutes and is included in this Act? Or would you think that there are too many fly by night operators who just are totally ignorant that any such law exist.? It would useful if these factors could help to improve current situations. How, I don't know! IMHO, Thailand does not have the financial resources to keep up with all of this. Diolch..

Where is folkguitar when the Zipline killer Companies need him to defend whats going on in this mess of a country ... ?

No doubt this shady Zipline business in CM will continue - Authorities dont care how many foreigners is getting killed cause of negligence from owner and staff bah.gif

I'm right here, but I won't say anything until some 'facts' have been presented. You may wish to fly off the handle with no information, but that's not how I like to do things.

Right now, the only things we are sure of is that someone died, and she had broken bones. We don't know if she died as a result of these broken bones, or before she fell. We also don't know WHY she fell.

If the zipline company was at fault, I'll be more than happy to castigate them for their failure. Until we know the facts, I'll leave the mud slinging to you.

Right now, the only things we are sure of is that someone died, and she had broken bones. We don't know if she died as a result of these broken bones, or before she fell. We also don't know WHY she fell.

Hmmmmmmm

I thought the whole concept of zipline safety was you would be unable to fall, even if unconscious or dead.

So what 'facts' can we be sure of ......

Fact 1 = she's dead

Fact 2 = she had broken bones

Conclusion = she fell

Verdict = safety lacking

No need to know any more really.

Hmmmmmmm

I thought the whole concept of zipline safety was you would be unable to fall, even if unconscious or dead.

So what 'facts' can we be sure of ......

Fact 1 = she's dead

Fact 2 = she had broken bones

Conclusion = she fell

Verdict = safety lacking

No need to know any more really.

Was she on the zipline when she fell? Was she on a platform when she fell? There are several times when a person is NOT tethered to a safety line (although in my opinion there should never be.) Believe me, I'm all in favor of redundant safety measures, and I realize that many of the Thai Zipline companies don't follow them. We just don't know if THIS is one of the companies that is remiss. So personally, I'll wait for the facts to come in before I make any judgements. You needn't feel so obligated.

all these tourist attractions where there is a risk factor involved should be checked periodically by a government official who is not susceptible to bribes .

The problem is that nobody wants to be a safety inspector that not takes bribes , he or she would sign his or her deathwarrant for sure .

It is alleged the operator of the Flying Squirrel told police and friends of the woman that she had died of a heart attack while riding on one of the tree top ziplines.

<deleted>? Surely they are not this foolish...

How could anyone who runs this sort of activity business have the disrespect and complete disregard for human life, to come out with such a BLATANT lie as this when someone has died due to their shocking / non-existent safety standards?

This business should be closed down, and the owners fined & jailed for negligence on their part.

What will actually happen? I suspect NOTHING.. no compensation, no business closure and no jail time for the people responsible for this persons death.

What a complete and utter disgrace. RIP to the victim.

Thailand needs to wake up to this kind of thing and do something about it.. Maybe next life.

The Chinese can certainly do something about it.Get on social media and name and shame.

I'm right here, but I won't say anything until some 'facts' have been presented. You may wish to fly off the handle with no information, but that's not how I like to do things.

If the zipline company was at fault, I'll be more than happy to castigate them for their failure. Until we know the facts, I'll leave the mud slinging to you.

So whose facts do we wait for and believe, those given to us by Thais as you always seem to accept as gospel or from an independent investigation which will never happen? Any derogatry comments or as what you refer to a smud slinging are not only justified but there should be a lot more of it. Only a real loser keeps backing other losers. No she more than likely didn't die from the fall, i am guessing it was the sudden stop when she hit the ground. Jeez!

Still safer than

1. Renting and using a motorbike

2. staying in a high rise in Pattaya

3. Sleeping with a sex worker

4. Any journey by public transport

5. Flying Malaysian Airlines.

6. Crossing major roads without using the footbridges

7. Being any where near RTP on a drugs bust

However just like all these other dangerous activities the accidents are on the whole avoidable. Staff training and supervision seems to be the issue here.

all these tourist attractions where there is a risk factor involved should be checked periodically by a government official who is not susceptible to bribes .

The problem is that nobody wants to be a safety inspector that not takes bribes , he or she would sign his or her deathwarrant for sure .

The idea that these organisations deliberately circumvent safety regs is not believable. They all know the impact a death or injury can have on their reputation and business.

I can believe that the operators were careless, poorly trained, badly supervised, but not that they or the company they worked for had any intent to cause a death or injury by bribing officials to overlook anything at all.

So whose facts do we wait for and believe, those given to us by Thais as you always seem to accept as gospel or from an independent investigation which will never happen? Any derogatry comments or as what you refer to a smud slinging are not only justified but there should be a lot more of it. Only a real loser keeps backing other losers. No she more than likely didn't die from the fall, i am guessing it was the sudden stop when she hit the ground. Jeez!

Only 23 posts from an account started a week ago, yet you know that I 'always seem to accept as gospel.' Remarkable! Don't you get tired of this? ROTFL!

Please enjoy your derogatory comments, and don't worry about which name you post under. Personally, I'll wait for some more information.

For all you know, she was stomped on by an elephant! Point is, you know nothing right now, except what you read in the very first post, and that amounts to almost nothing except that a woman is dead. So rant, rave, stomp you feet if you feel the need. I'll wait for more information.

The idea that these organisations deliberately circumvent safety regs is not believable. They all know the impact a death or injury can have on their reputation and business.

I can believe that the operators were careless, poorly trained, badly supervised, but not that they or the company they worked for had any intent to cause a death or injury by bribing officials to overlook anything at all.

I think the answer is easier than that,

The zipline companies are owned by foreigners, the staff are Thais.

The Thai staff are paid minimum wage, and don't really care about the safety of foreigners.

The Thai staff can't be taught anything, because they always know better than foreigners.

As the owner of the company what can you do? You are forced to use Thai staff, and forbidden to do the work yourself.

Ever found a Thai that can service a car or mc properly?

Paint, build or wire your house properly?

If you own a company, ever been able to train and retain staff?

Do Thai teachers know how to teach?

It's the same old story again and again.

To make it safe you would need a foreigner supervisor and 4 Thai employees at every stage of the zip.

Have been on the Flight of the Gibbon zip line and have to say I was extremely impressed by the safety precautions.

Would have no qualms about going again.

But then I believe it is owned and operated by a farang. Shame if they get tainted with the same brush.

TBWG wai.gif

Archived