TM 30 ...just when is it needed

I have been living in Thailand for the last 2 years on a permission to stay based on retirement.

In late Aug 2105 I returned to Australia and returned again to Thailand on 12th Oct 2015 ( obviously I had obtained a re-entry permit prior to leaving).

I had read about various immigration offices being strict about the TM 30 form recently so I decided to take my GF with me to local immigration

for her to submit the TM 30 the day after my return- 13th Oct

My local office ( udon Thani) advised that as I was returning to ( still at) the same address as prior to my departure.........................

that a new TM 30 WAS NOT required.

Interestingly , however, the Immigration officer ( I think main boss at Udon office) performed a NEW 90 DAY REPORT for me ( without my asking)....................

this was unusual as I thought leaving and returning to the kingdom re-set the clock for the 90 day reporting.

Perhaps it was just that my old notification of when my next report would have been due was still in my passport..................and that date WOULD HAVE BEEN 12th OCT( if I HAD NOT departed the kingdom and travelled to Aust)

Perhaps the IO didnt understand that I was advising that I had left the kingdom and now returned...............but at least I now have a clear reminder in my passport of my next reporting date.

How about when your away from your regular address and staying in hotel then go back home, Do you need TM30 then as hotel would have given immigration your details.

• You don't need worry about submitting a new TM30 when you get home.
  • It's up to the hotel to submit a TM30 so you don't need to worry about that either.

How about when your away from your regular address and staying in hotel then go back home, Do you need TM30 then as hotel would have given immigration your details.

The report done by a hotel would not change the record that immigration maintains as you permanent address if you are on an extension of stay. Thus a TM30 form would not be needed when your return home.

• Like 1

the tm30 form is to be submitted to immigration/police by the landlord/housemaster. it has nothing to do with the tenant or guest as such the landlord/housemaster can refuse to give a completed tm30 form to the tenant or guest. they must submit it to immigration/police themselves

the tm30 form is to be submitted to immigration/police by the landlord/housemaster. it has nothing to do with the tenant or guest as such the landlord/housemaster can refuse to give a completed tm30 form to the tenant or guest. they must submit it to immigration/police themselves

• The TM30 can be submitted by anyone in person or by post.
  • It can be completed by anyone qualifying as the house-master or owner or possessor.

• It can be completed by anyone qualifying as the house-master or owner or possessor.

Going by thaivisa some immigration offices want foreigners applying for extensions to include a tm 30 form. Now if I was a landlord would I want the tenant to know my home address. I may not want that. Would I want the tenant to have a copy of my id. I do not think so. Would I want the tenant to have a copy of the house book. I do not think so.

You are right the owner/House master does not have to submit it personally but it does not have to be done via the tenant which immigration at some offices have requested. The way I read it by some posters is that if they do not submit the tm30 with their application they will not be granted an extension

Going by thaivisa some immigration offices want foreigners applying for extensions to include a tm 30 form. Now if I was a landlord would I want the tenant to know my home address. I may not want that. Would I want the tenant to have a copy of my id. I do not think so. Would I want the tenant to have a copy of the house book. I do not think so.

You are right the owner/House master does not have to submit it personally but it does not have to be done via the tenant which immigration at some offices have requested. The way I read it by some posters is that if they do not submit the tm30 with their application they will not be granted an extension

I was quoting the procedure for normal TM30 reports submitted when someone moves in.

Yes some offices do want TM30's with extensions which is different. In these cases they seem to want the person named as house-master in the blue Tabien Baan (house book). This may or may not be the owner.

The house book details who lives in the property and not who the owner is. Thais are used to giving copies of their Tabien Baan and ID and I doubt any would have a problem giving copies to a tenant.

I seriously doubt if 2 Immigration-offices follow the law and rules same same way - each office make up their own little requirements to the poor sods that have to dance to their silly tune ...

Does anyone have information as to who to contact if an immigration office ignores the current laws and demands unnecessary documentation or non lawful requirements?

Can one go to the head office of iimigration for ones documentation if one is being shafted by a subsiduary office?

Thanks Ubonjoe and elviajero..................as always your answers are simple and to the point.

My initial question was prompted ( as suggested by one reply) by the fact that I had indeed stayed in a hotel in bangkok for 4 days upon my return to the kingdom and before

my return to my permanent address in Udon Thani.

I was assuming ( ....I know -- never assume , it makes an a.r.se. out of u and me) that the hotel would have completed a TM 30 for my stay there and therefore

I would need to resubmit one upon my return to my permanent address.

Just us silly farang...................interpreting the rules our own way.

I appreciate now that a TM30 submitted by a hotel .................DOES NOT signify a permanent change of address and if I did re-locate then I would be required to submit

a formal change of address to my " new nearest immigration office".

• Like 1

If I was a landlord, I'd want copies of my tenants ID.

Thais copy their ID for numerous procedures. They write 'copy' and 'sign' across the page.

If your landlord refuses to give you copies, then you need to find another landlord.

The TM30 can be completed and signed by the tenant, depending on the circumstances.

I submitted my TM30 on behalf of my landlord, along with copies of her ID and Tabian Baan.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

A TM30 should only be required to be submitted once for your permanent residency.

However an Immigration Office or Officer, can request a new TM30 when re-applying for an extension, or when taking up residence again after leaving the Country.

Although rare, an IO can request whatever documentation he feels is necessary under the rules to satisfy his idiosyncrasy.

Going prepared is the key to a successful application without problems.

I seriously doubt if 2 Immigration-offices follow the law and rules same same way - each office make up their own little requirements to the poor sods that have to dance to their silly tune ...

Does anyone have information as to who to contact if an immigration office ignores the current laws and demands unnecessary documentation or non lawful requirements?

Can one go to the head office of iimigration for ones documentation if one is being shafted by a subsiduary office?

What do you call 'unnecessary' documentation?

Your a foreigner staying in Thailand by permission of the Immigration department.

The onus is on you to provide such documents they may request to satisfy your Immigration status.

You can ring the Immigration helpline on 1111 if you need to make a complaint.

I don't quite understand this TM30 requirements because I didn't know this and my friend who is the owner the house never did either and never submitted the TM30. Does it mean she has to submit this form when I move in? I am going back to Thailand beginning of November but she won't be there, she is overseas and probably won't be back for a while. I will be living in her house. How do I solve this? Thanks.

Ubonquest do the tm 30 yourself. You can be regarded as the possessor of where you are living. You can post it. Make a copy of the form just for your records. They do not post you a receipt. When your friend is back do a lease agreement, if you haven't already.

There is a lot of duplication required, often on a whim.

You report your address when you arrive on your arrival/departure card, every 90 day report, every annual application for an extension, when you apply for a re-entry permit etc etc

Don't Immi have a common computer file on you?

Last December, going fore-warned and fore-armed with completed both TM28 and TM30 forms Phuket Immi wouldn't accept them and required us to fill out a form of their own, not official and not numbered and printed on the back of IO paysheets ...

The latest push on enforcing TM28/30 seems to get info on who is renting privately to farangs.

So how important is TM30 when you have a yellow tabien baan, since this is proof of your residence already, and immigration received a copy of that tabien baan with your application for retirement extension?

The TM30 isn't really anything to do with proof of address it is for the house-master, owner or possessor to notify, within 24 hours, that a foreigner is staying at the address. If you have a yellow tabien baan you will likely be listed as a house-master and can self report.

Some offices seem to use the TM30 as confirmation of your address when doing extensions. Mine ask for it every year.

IMO you only need to do it once unless specifically asked for it at extension time.

• 11 months later...

Just like to confirm on this 2015 thread about TM30 reporting now October 2016 onwards...

I have stayed same address last few years but 6 weeks ago left and returned on a different visa to the same address I put on TM6/7 entry card.

I see on this thread ....

....you need a confirmation that your address was notified to them on arrival with the ' Investigation Office ' before any extension can proceed in near future. My place probably not aware I left and came back.

Will the building owner attract a penalty or would their notification of my residency this year on my old visa still stand, or should I have in fact handed my passport over to building owner again for fresh reporting of my address on my current re-entry to Thailand even though the address has not changed in last few years?

Edited by freedomnow

Found this....

http://www.donslifeinthailand.com/Change_Of_Address_June_2016.html

7.    If the Expat leaves Thailand and then returns later to the same address, does he have to file another
TM 28 or TM 30?

The owner has to file a TM 30 but the Expat doesn't have to file a TM 28

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Found this....

http://www.donslifeinthailand.com/Change_Of_Address_June_2016.html

7.    If the Expat leaves Thailand and then returns later to the same address, does he have to file another
TM 28 or TM 30?

The owner has to file a TM 30 but the Expat doesn't have to file a TM 28

In this area, a perfect knowledge of the law and regulations as written is of limited value. Your local immigration office sets the rules. Stay in Thailand long enough, and you will learn to accept that Thai law is flexible. It is applied differently for some groups (if you are a farang, you are relatively lucky) and often adjusted for the convenience/benefit of local officials. Do not make the mistake of thinking you can beat this system. It just leads to misery. Keeping your logical farang brain carefully hidden, ask your local officials what the "law" is according to their office and go with the flow.

The blog "Dons Life In Thailand" is about living in Chiang Mai and what he says is indeed true for Chiang Mai province.  CM Immigration insists that the Departure card associated with the TM30 has to be the same as the one in your passport, which means that a new TM30 has to be filed each time you return to Thailand.  Furthermore, they say that if you stay somewhere else in Thailand, like a hotel, and that place files a TM30 for you, then that TM30 "overwrites" the one associated with your CM address and a new TM30 should be filed when you return home.

They're fining the foreigner for not having a TM30 on file, even though it's the responsibility of the landlord (homeowner) to submit the TM30.  Fortunately, many condo buildings with high numbers of foreign residents in CM are getting set up to file TM30s on-line as a service to their residents.  But, it's difficult for individuals to do this.

I put these Immigration discrepancies on interpretation of the law down to poor training and/or communication from top to bottom.

In my particular province a TM30 is only required if you move to a new permanent residence, or if you leave the Country, then return to take up your former residence.

It is not required annually for extensions, or for short trips/breaks within Thailand which they regard as Touring.    

I'd advise everyone to check the requirements of their own Immigration office.

• Like 1

So I'm about 6 weeks late, once my building owner gets the TM30 in to immi., it will automatically attract a fine for them for sure ?

I'd just pay it on their behalf. I've never had this issue previously on extensions/return to Chiang Mai, so it seems they are just enforcing this 1979 rule stricter now in connection to being able to get extensions ( on a single TV currently) which is why I quoted in last year's thread on Tm30 to show what the general opinion/up-to-date knowledge was then and how this is going to catch out so many who think staying at the same address and stating that address on the arrival card (i.e. not trying to hide your whereabouts) is not enough.....

address on arrival,

on extension/reporting

and now a fresh TM30 on return to SAME ADDRESS.

ANOTHER layer of bureauoCRAP to catch people out and tip them upside down.

24 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

So I'm about 6 weeks late, once my building owner gets the TM30 in to immi., it will automatically attract a fine for them for sure ?.

No. It varies from office to office. Many (actually most) offices that require TM-30 reports are flexible about the 24-hour rule.