Bridge 11 months until I can get a retirement visa

Hi All, I am looking for some advice on the most convenient way to bridge about 11 months until I can apply for a retirement visa.

I am Australian.

I am planning to enter Thailand at the start of November this year. At the end of October I will be in Hong Kong for a few days for a visit.

These are my thoughts;

1. Enter with a double entry visa applied for at Hong Kong. (However I read other posts that the double entry visa may be phased out soon in November in replacement for the new 6 month multiple entry, so don't know if possible to get, otherwise I would have to get a single entry) With extensions and 1 month break between the 1st and 2nd entry that would get me about 7 months.
  2. After that apply for the new 6 month multiple entry visa (by that time it should be implement and there would be more information)
  3. Between the visa I would have no problem going back to Australia or visit some other SEA country for a few/many weeks.

1. Enter with visa exempt and an extension for a total of 60 days
  2. Then apply for the new 6 month multiple entry visa (it should be implemented by then, hopefully)
  3. Then apply for single entry tourist visa plus extension for a total of 90 days
  4. Between each entry I can go back to Australia or visit some other SEA country for a break of a few/many weeks where necessary

Ultimately I am looking for the least amount of visa and most time in Thailand.

Any other ideas or other possibilities to bridge 11 months?

Cheers

Just buy yourself a single entry non imm O VISA ( 3 months validity) and during the last month of that VISA apply for a Retirement extension... voila.... things settled.

It is being called EXTENSION OF STAY BASED ON RETIREMENT, and it is NOT a VISA ,,,,,,forget that!!

Glegoo

Edited by glegolo

Just buy yourself a single entry non imm O VISA ( 3 months validity) and during the last month of that VISA apply for a Retirement extension... voila.... things settled.

It is being called EXTENSION OF STAY BASED ON RETIREMENT, and it is NOT a VISA ,,,,,,forget that!!

Glegoo

You have jumped to conclusions.

The OP did not say why he had to wait 11 months, possibly his age. He may also be planning to get a visa in his home country so your upper case comment is out of order.

There has been no official notice that the regular 2 and 3 entry tourist visas will phased out. Just a baseless suspicion by some people.

At the moment there is not enough information about the new multiple entry tourist visa to know what the requirements will be.

Getting a 2 entry tourist visa would give you a total stay of almost 6 months by extending each entry for 30 days at immigration. Then you could get another 2 entry visa in Laos.

After you turn 50 you can get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

OP in AU it's very easy to obtain your tourist visa via post. You could obtain a double or maybe even triple.

Sounds like you don't mind travel around south east Asia. I'm typing this from bali. There have been recent threads about triple tourist visa from here. Plenty of places you can obtain a double. Hanoi is a chilled place to visit and does a double tv. Many others. When time to obtain your non o based on retirement you could consider Vientiane. Udon is good for a visit. If back in AU for some reason don't plan on obtaining your non o there

• Visa exempt entry. Your airline might not let you fly if you don't have a visa and a flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

You are going to need to get a new visa at some point so get a tourist visa (TR) with 2 or 3 entries to start with.

Extend each 60 day entry by 30 days. That will give you approx. 6 or 9 months respectively.

Try and get a 3 entry (if available) TR and that way you'll only need a single entry TR to complete the 11 months.

When this visa is used you can get a new TR locally.

Thanks for all your feedback, At least 2 double entry visa will cover the 11 months considering also that I will be visiting some other country between the entries and visas.

Since I will be Hong Kong in about 1 week I decided to try to get a double entry visa in Hong Kong. I have not read anything negative in the posts about this.

The Hong Kong Thai consulate website states the following documents are required

Tourist Visa (Basic requirements)

1. A copy of Hong Kong/Macau I.D.Card (not needed in my case)

2. A copy of main pages of a passport including the last arrival Hong Kong stamp.

3. A valid at least 6 months passport with a clear page for a visa sticker.

4. One application forms must be completely filled out in English ( CAPITAL LETTER)

5. One recent photos, 2x1.5 Inches in size, with clear face, taken within 6 months.

6. A copy of confirmed round-trip air ticket or an itinerary.

All the above document are not a problem to obtain, however I do have a question regarding the air-ticket and itinerary when apply for a double entry visa. Is it necessary to have flights/itinerary needed for all the entries/exist for the double entry visa or only just the first entry and exit. I don't have that detailed planning yet of the 2nd entry as most likely I will visit another country between the 1st and 2nd entry.

I read also that you take a copy of a bank statement to prove funds - Is this a necessary or a nice to have document.

On the Visa application form, it asks for "Name and Address of Local Guarantor" and "Name and Address of Guarantor in Thailand". Neither I these I will have because I am a tourist. Are these needed to be filled in or just write "not applicable", "not required" or "none" or something similar.

It has been a very long time since I needed to apply for a visa so sorry for the simple questions.

Thanks for all your feedback, At least 2 double entry visa will cover the 11 months considering also that I will be visiting some other country between the entries and visas.

Two double tourist visas (TR) will work.

However, five embassies have announced the new multi entry tourist visa (METV) so far and none offer the double entry visa anymore. Only single entry TR and the METV. Also they only offer the METV to nationals and permanent residents. Time will tell if this policy will be world wide. I'm only mentioning it because you might only have the choice of single entry TR's when your first TR expires so you can plan accordingly.

IMO a triple TR from Aus before you leave would be your best option.

You don't say where your going after Hong Kong. If Thailand , and you have time obtain the tourist visa in Australia. Easy. After that expires with extensions fly cheaply to any of many countries for a double or even triple tv.

For example double Hanoi. Or triple say Bali..job done

Then apply for the new 6 month multiple entry visa (it should be implemented by then, hopefully)

It is officially announced on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and copied on multiple consulate/embassy websites wordwide, that the METV will be issued from Nov 13, 2015 onward.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/media-center/14/60714-Thailand-launches-the-Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa.html

Multple consulates/embassies in Europe have announced that they will not issue double or triple entry TRs after Nov 12.

This METV would allow you to bridge close to 240 days (8 months) with three border runs.

Maybe also possible to break down to two border runs with 30 day extensions on the two first entries?

Maybe last entry also extendable, so a total of 9 months (close to)?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the comment and the link.

I am leaving next Monday to HKG so don't have time anymore to get a visa in Australia. I just had to renew my passport and didn't plan the time in between to get a Thai visa. I have a one way ticket to HKG, and from there to Thailand. On the Hong Kong Thai consulate website I see no information about the METV, so I hope to get a double TV at HKG since I plan to fly into Thailand on 28 Oct which would be before the METV becomes effective. Then after that I can plan on a METV.

I suppose I will only know what will happen when I get to the Thai consulate in HKG and see what they are willing to issue.

Will I need to book 2 In/Out flights to get a double entry visa in HKG?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I am just resurrecting my post because it is time for me to consider next steps. My current double entry tourist visa runs out end of April. I need to wait until middle September (when I turn 50) before I can apply for a retirement visa.

I have been considering the following:

1. Go back to Australia and get a METV. That should easily bridge the gap (and more) until mid September.
  2. After the METV go to a nearby embassy/consulate and get a 90-day single entry Non-O (or is a multiple entry advisable?)
  3. During last month of Non-O get an 1 year extension based on retirement.

My questions are:

1. How do you get a Non-O visa at a nearby embassy/consulate, I mean what reason do you need to give. Do they accept retirement as a reason, because essentially I am retired already?
  2. Can I get a Non-O before I turn 50, or I have to wait until I turn 50. Essentially can I go when my current visa runs out and get a Non-O visa in May (but I will only be 49).
  3. I was considering getting a retirement visa in Australia but a post above recommends not to do it in Australia, so that means avoid Australia when I need a Non-O.
  4. Regarding any requirement for financial proof, do the consulates (which ever one) accept a Thai Bank Book and do I need a letter from the Bank as confirmation?

Gratefully appreciate any comments and recommendation about the best way bridge the gap from end of April.

• Like 1

A single entry non "O" visa is easily obtained from Vientiane or Penang once you have reached the age of 50+ (multiple entry "O" visas are not available for the purpose of retirement). When applying you will need your passport (which proves your age) and evidence of meeting the financial requirements for a subsequent extension of stay. (Updated Thai bank book)

It is likely you will not be able to obtain an "O" visa in Australia but an O/A visa could be applied for once you reach the age of 50.

Sign up to a Thai language course where they can offer you the paperwork for a visa. Start the course in May, leave with paperwork end of April, apply for visa. Enter, 90 days gets you to August. Enjoy your classes, extend for 90 more days. Well into your 50s by that point.

Edited by naboo

whistling.gif Double entry and triple entry Tourist visas were ended on 15 November 2015.

They were replaced by the new Multiple Entry Tourist Visas.

The new METV is difficult to get....you may need to be a national or certified resident of the country where you apply to get it.

I had one of the last double entry tourist visas which I received in Vientianne, Laos in October 2015.

If your double entry tourist visa is still valid (check the "enter before" date) stamped on it, then it is probably expiring soon.

My 2nd entry on my double tourist visa and the 30day entry extension on that visa expires on 7 April.....I am leaving on the 6th of April for that reason.

Isn't it 65 now for the retirement visa?

That's what the Thai consulate in Glasgow is saying. They refused my dad yesterday.

That is a UK requirement that comes from the embassy in London to get a non-o visa for retirement. Some consulates will issue a single entry if 50 or over but to get a multiple entry visa you must be 65 or over and getting an old age pension.

No changes to get a OA visa at the embassy or an extension here at immigration.

I am just resurrecting my post because it is time for me to consider next steps. My current double entry tourist visa runs out end of April. I need to wait until middle September (when I turn 50) before I can apply for a retirement visa.

I have been considering the following:

• Go back to Australia and get a METV. That should easily bridge the gap (and more) until mid September.
  • After the METV go to a nearby embassy/consulate and get a 90-day single entry Non-O (or is a multiple entry advisable?)
  • During last month of Non-O get an 1 year extension based on retirement.

My questions are:

• How do you get a Non-O visa at a nearby embassy/consulate, I mean what reason do you need to give. Do they accept retirement as a reason, because essentially I am retired already?
  • Can I get a Non-O before I turn 50, or I have to wait until I turn 50. Essentially can I go when my current visa runs out and get a Non-O visa in May (but I will only be 49).
  • I was considering getting a retirement visa in Australia but a post above recommends not to do it in Australia, so that means avoid Australia when I need a Non-O.
  • Regarding any requirement for financial proof, do the consulates (which ever one) accept a Thai Bank Book and do I need a letter from the Bank as confirmation?

Gratefully appreciate any comments and recommendation about the best way bridge the gap from end of April.

You will not obtain non O in Australia. Brisbane did them but now closed. OA is available and you can obtain by post. Non O easily obtained at places like Vientiane etc.