How Do I Get To Myeik, Myanmar From Hua Hin, Thailand?

NCC1701A

Hello everybody, :)

I am in Hua Hin. I am trying to get to Myeik, Myanmar.

I am open to any suggestions of how to get there.

My basic google research seems to say that it is a 16 hour drive having to go north for 8 hours and then u-turn for another 8 hours.

Obviously I know I have to go to Bangkok for a flight.

and there are no direct flights from Thailand to Myeik? Myeik is domestic flights via Yangon only?

Is this correct?

I know the border crossing opened awhile ago not far from Hua Hin. But maybe not for Farangs yet?

I am so close to Myeik sitting here in Hua Hin I could almost walk. :)

You can get there from Prachuap. About an hour south of Hua HIN.You can enter Burma from Dan Sing Khon; the border town. .

You will find a road that goes to Myeik.

Not a good road but a road

ok maybe i can walk after all. :)

thanks... i will look into this...

But can you cross the border from Phracuap Kiri Khan to Myeik? Last time I went there it was not open to foreigners you need a visa to enter there. But that was 7 years ago. I crossed there and spoke to the Myanmar immigration and Military Intelligence post there. Thats as far as I got. Next time I flew Yangon to Dawei and then boat to Myeik and fly back to Yangon from there.

You can travel up from Kawthaung by boat to Myeik. You can travel to Dawei and then take a boat down the coast. Or fly Dawei to Myeik. If you had a visa you could travel to Dawei via thai border point of Htee Kee and then take boat or plane or even a bus now I think.

I will need to check if they have opened that Prachuap Kiri Khan border crossing. If they have then that is the most direct way.

Current accuracy unknown:

www.go-myanmar.com getting to Myeik by plane, or fast boats from Kawthaung leaving at 4.30am and costing $45

www.go-myanmar.com arriving and departing over land

Ranong/Kawthaung

The crossing between Ranong (Thailand, Ranong Province) and Kawthaung (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Region) offers options for further travel in Myanmar – public boats on to Myeik and Dawei, as well as flights to those places and Yangon (overland travel may be possible, but the road between Kawthaung and Myeik is extremely slow and rough). Cruises to the Myeik Archipelago also start from Kawthaung.

There are regular longtail boats between Ranong and Kawthaung, taking 20 minutes and costing around 100 Bhat.

If you are on a short stay or visa run from Thailand, you will not need a Myanmar visa, but you will need your passport and a copy of the photo page, plus US$10 in crisp notes.

Also...

www.telegraph.co.uk | travel destinations asia burma | Crossing the border from Burma to Thailand.html

Comments: comcomtech • a year ago

We recently crossed from Thailand to Tiki Burma (about an hour west of Kanchanaburi). The process was quick, pleasant and effortless. I understand that overland entrance/exit between Burma and Thailand at the four new border gates (Victoria Point/Kawthaung, Tiki--which goes by a variety of names, Myawaddy and Tajilek) is straightforward. You can either enter Burma on a visa and travel with few restrictions throughout the country (except those imposed by poor infrastructure: expect to cover less than 150 km/day by road). In principle, you can exit anywhere you enter, assuming you are eligible to enter Thailand. If you are from a G7 nation, you get a 30-day Thai visa (free). Otherwise, it's 15.
Oh, and before you leave I should probably be polite and say, "It was a pleasure knowing you."

Somewhat recent ThaiVisa comments regarding:

Started by webfact, 2015-01-12 14:18
1432369576-thaimyanmar-border-crossing-a
The first group of Thai tourists cross into Myanmar following the upgrading of the Thai-Myanmar border crossing at Dan Singkhon in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. Thais can enter Myanmar without a visa for 14 days using a temporary pass.
Thai-Myanmar border crossing at Dan Singkhon officially upgraded
23 May 2015 by Matthew Richards

Crowds joined to celebrate the upgrading of the Thai-Myanmar border crossing at Dan Singkhon in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Officials from both countries welcomed the border changes which are expected to significantly boost two-way local trade.

So. it seems they've only gotten so far on that border. Thai & Burmese traffic only, traders are said to need to pay a double bribe to be allowed to pass.

for ALL land borders u will need a visa in advance from the embassy,

the pre approved visa online is only for flying into 3 airports,

if u have ur visa u could travel south to Ranong take a long tail to Kwathong ( 50 baht/seat) and than grab a boat up to Myeik ( apx 7-8hours)

or fly,

The above border crossing is ONLY for THai's not Farangs!!!

The ministry of immigration website for Myanmar has still only 4 points listed.

http://www.mip.gov.mm/portfolio/permission-of-entry-into-and-departure-from-myanmar-thai-border-gates/

(a) Tachilek – Maisai

(B) Myawaddy – Mesok

© Htee Kee – Phunaron

(d) Kawthoung – Ranong

Have to have a visa to get in there no visa on arrival or online method.

I have been to Kawthoung, Myeik, Dawei, out of these the best for me was Dawei and the nearby Maungmakang beach. They are going to put a deep sea port just north of it and build a huge industrial park so it will slowly be destroyed but I liked that area because of the remoteness of that beach. I hired a motorbike and drove out there and beyond to some other point and pagoda. Recently other friends have gone there with a guide but I speak burmese so I get to explore a lot of places the guides dont know.

Sometimes its a dead end sometimes a great find. I have heard you can bus from Dawei to Mawlamyine and onto Yangon now.

But plenty of opportunities to explore in that area.

The DAN SINGKHON gate when it opens for all will really improve the access to that area.

• 4 weeks later...

you can exit there but can not enter

From Kwathoung to Dawei

boat ( 7-8 hours) or fly

Dawei-Myeik Bus ( 12-14) or Boat 4-5 hours

I am traveling south from Yangon in 2 weeks and exiting at Kwathoung

You can enter the country via Kaw Thaung from Ranong

on a visa obtained at the Embassy of Myanmar in BKK,

right?

What time does a boat leave Kaw Thaung for Dawei and

how often (daily or not)?

I heard that you can take a train from Dawei to Yangon as

well but it runs way too slow and they still have the tourist

price (fare) for both trains and boats.

Hope you enjoy travelling in the south.

Yes u can enter if u have a visa but seems crazy to go to Bangkok to get a visa an than travel all the way south to Ranong to enter at Kwathoung

flights Bangkok - Yangon are around $50 one way

Daily boats ( yes u pay more) Boats leave Kawthaung at 4.30am, the journey takes 12 hours to Dawei, one reason why i am breaking it up in Myeik

Yes u can take the train but i have heard its the worst/slowest in all of Myanmar

Last April i took the train from Mandalay to myitkyina. 20 hours sleeper

There are NO tourist prices on the train, u pay the same as anyone

http://www.go-myanmar.com/dawei-tavoy

This is my 3rd trip back to Myanmar in the last 16 months :-)

http://www.reitman-photo.com/f125862719

Yes u can enter if u have a visa but seems crazy to go to Bangkok to get a visa an than travel all the way south to Ranong to enter at Kwathoung

flights Bangkok - Yangon are around $50 one way

Daily boats ( yes u pay more) Boats leave Kawthaung at 4.30am, the journey takes 12 hours to Dawei, one reason why i am breaking it up in Myeik

Thanks for the details.

It doesn't sound like a good idea if I take a boat leaving Kaw Thaung

at 4:30am because I'll then have to spend the night before there. So

I'd do the reverse as you're going to do in less than 2 weeks.

yep

well if ur in Yangon the 2nd-5th let me know an we can hook up

I'd like to meet you up in Yangon but I'll have to work then.

I don't think I can afford to go anywhere on holiday till next

April simply because I have to work. Thanks for your offer,

though.

Have fun.

you can exit there but can not enter

From Kwathoung to Dawei

boat ( 7-8 hours) or fly

Dawei-Myeik Bus ( 12-14) or Boat 4-5 hours

I am traveling south from Yangon in 2 weeks and exiting at Kwathoung

Sorry, what do you mean by "you can exit there but can not enter"? I am virtually certain if you are talking about the 4 international Thai-Myanmar crossings going in either direction is absolutely fine. The Prachuab Khiri Khan crossing can not yet be used in either direction as far as I'm aware. Only for Thais and they can only travel to Myeik, not the whole country, if they enter at that checkpoint. I believe that Thais entering at any of the 4 main checkpoints also are not allowed to exit at Prachuab/Mawdaung. That crossing is specifically only for border pass holders going to Myeik ONLY.

I hope this will change soon. However, according to one news source (see ttrweekly.com) a new crossing in Mae Hong Son may open for all by the end of this year before the Prachuab crossing is upgraded to an int'l crossing. However, there have not been any updates since the news was first announced back in July or whenever it was.

The ministry of immigration website for Myanmar has still only 4 points listed.

http://www.mip.gov.mm/portfolio/permission-of-entry-into-and-departure-from-myanmar-thai-border-gates/

(a) Tachilek – Maisai

(cool.png Myawaddy – Mesok

© Htee Kee – Phunaron

(d) Kawthoung – Ranong

Have to have a visa to get in there no visa on arrival or online method.

I have been to Kawthoung, Myeik, Dawei, out of these the best for me was Dawei and the nearby Maungmakang beach. They are going to put a deep sea port just north of it and build a huge industrial park so it will slowly be destroyed but I liked that area because of the remoteness of that beach. I hired a motorbike and drove out there and beyond to some other point and pagoda. Recently other friends have gone there with a guide but I speak burmese so I get to explore a lot of places the guides dont know.

Sometimes its a dead end sometimes a great find. I have heard you can bus from Dawei to Mawlamyine and onto Yangon now.

But plenty of opportunities to explore in that area.

The DAN SINGKHON gate when it opens for all will really improve the access to that area.

You can catch a bus all the way from Yangon down to Myeik now. Many travellers have done it. There are also some travellers who have travelled overland all the way down to Kawthoung, although there has been some lack of clarity about whether it's OK to travel south of Bobkyin the last stretch to Kawthoung by land. However, the only thing immigration definitely don't want you doing is driving a motorcycle between Bobkyin and Kawthoung, according to a notice at Kawthoung immigration I saw in a blog about a western expat who drove his Myanmar registered motorcycle from Yangon down to Kawthoung, where he sold it.

Dan Singkorn will become a major crossing once it's upgraded to international status. I find it rather strange that they only opened it for locals, giving Thais the most access (they can travel as far as Myeik but MUST return the same way they came) with Burmese only allowed to travel to Prachuab. Thais get up to 14 days, while Burmese get just 3 days and 2 nights.

Archived