Coffee

sceadugenga

I had a cup of coffee in one of the cafes on Singhaklai Road on the weekend and bought a packet of beans to take out as I was running on empty at home.

It was a classic roast, twice the price of the standard, but I'm a two cups a day man so it immediately became my home coffee of choice.

Unfortunately it was their last pack and I'll need to find a new source if they don't replace it.

Doi Luang Classic Peaberry.

Anyone seen it around?

My favorite coffee is Landoy Coffee, delivered fresh roasted right to my door (by post). I have been buying form them for over five years now and I have been completely satisfied with the quality and reliability. I have referred many people to Landoy and they now have a fairly strong mail order business through word of mouth alone. Give them a try, you will not be disappointed, and will never buy stale coffee in a shop again. I love my morning coffee. If you want to read a little coffee essay, see the PDF.

post-240396-0-40681600-1444870414_thumb.

Purchase and Store Coffee in Thailand.pdf

I used to drink DoiTung. It's great coffee! But I looked at the link. Do you see the problem? It's up to 1,600 baht a kilogram! I love good coffee, and I suppose if you have more money than you know what to do with, the DoiTng is a good bet. But after I found Landoy, I found it to be every bit as delicious as the DoiTung and I get it delivered to my door fresh roasted at one-fourth the cost.

I go through about a kg every ten days or so. The DoiTung would cost me 4,800 baht/month, while the Landoy costs less than 1,200 for the same amount and same quality.

And, by the way, the DoiTung price is with shipping NOT included.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Royal Project store yesterday and noticed Arabica Coffee beans for 315B for 500gms.

Irresistible at that price, I'm just sampling a cup now and it's very drinkable. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Almost double what I pay for an outstanding coffee roasted to order and delivered to my door!

Carry on.

A kilo every ten days would have me bouncing off the walls like a squash ball, caffeine tolerant my system is not.

I've just come back from Doi Chaang Coffee after two cups of their Americano and I know it's gonna be a late night.

I don't drink the kilo all by myself. Every Thai that has tried it has given up the old 3 in 1. Have a lot of converts.

I was in the Royal Project store yesterday and noticed Arabica Coffee beans for 315B for 500gms.

Irresistible at that price, I'm just sampling a cup now and it's very drinkable. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Almost double what I pay for an outstanding coffee roasted to order and delivered to my door!

Carry on.

My problem is that I'm an impulse buyer.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I don’t know how much I spend for a kilo of coffee beans. I buy smaller bags of whole beans at Doi Chaang but haven’t bothered to calculate the per kilo price. I do pay 105 baht for a small double cappuccino at Starbucks, maybe once or twice each week. Friends sometimes give me small bags of Coffee as gifts from as far away as New Zealand.

It is nice to try different kinds of coffee from different places but I am not sure I really have a favorite or worry much about the price.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I don’t know how much I spend for a kilo of coffee beans. I buy smaller bags of whole beans at Doi Chaang but haven’t bothered to calculate the per kilo price. I do pay 105 baht for a small double cappuccino at Starbucks, maybe once or twice each week. Friends sometimes give me small bags of Coffee as gifts from as far away as New Zealand.

It is nice to try different kinds of coffee from different places but I am not sure I really have a favorite or worry much about the price.

VF, do you recall what was in that small shot of free coffee that the staff at Starbucks gave us last time we caught up? Had am intriguing taste to it.

VF, do you recall what was in that small shot of free coffee that the staff at Starbucks gave us last time we caught up? Had am intriguing taste to it.

Sorry Garry, all I remember is that it was one of their special promotional blends but I don't remember the name.

• 2 weeks later...

I was quite pleased with my home roasting efforts this year so when I happened to be in the Canary Lodge Cafe last week and saw the girl roasting a new supply I bought a kilo of green beans for the surprising low price of 200B.

Now all I need is the house to myself to do a bit of roasting.... the smell is not appreciated.

I was quite pleased with my home roasting efforts this year so when I happened to be in the Canary Lodge Cafe last week and saw the girl roasting a new supply I bought a kilo of green beans for the surprising low price of 200B.

Now all I need is the house to myself to do a bit of roasting.... the smell is not appreciated.

Just curious, to what level of flavour do you roast to or do you vary your roast from time to time?

It's mainly pot luck Gary but I get better with practice.

I just heat them in a heavy frypan until they turn black, usually not evenly though.

I then often blend with some cheaper beans I bought that may be too strong for my taste, the home roasted beans are usually very mild.

I like somewhere in between.

Carry on.

My problem is that I'm an impulse buyer.

What was wrong with the coffee at our place sceaduga. They have from 4000 a kilo to 1200

It's mainly pot luck Gary but I get better with practice.

I just heat them in a heavy frypan until they turn black, usually not evenly though.

I then often blend with some cheaper beans I bought that may be too strong for my taste, the home roasted beans are usually very mild.

I like somewhere in between.

Ah okay interesting, I thought you might have yourself a small roasting oven, but that obviously works fine for you. From what I've seen on youtube, I was intrigued how the process for the flavour can be very time (& heat) criticlal.

• 5 months later...

I had an ATM transaction to do today so made the 15km run at 6.30am to avoid the street festivities.

Checked out the 7/11 next door and was surprised to see a small coffee bar.

One perfectly acceptable Americano... 30B

She snapped a shot of liquid sugar into before I could protest but a little extra energy at that hour doesn't go astray.

Archived