Expats in LOS. Your preference? Thai food v Home food?

fang37

I hear what you are saying, and i used to love ''indian' food, and also Chinese and Thai..

But since living here i have realised how unhealthy most Thai Food is , with all the Salt and Sugar and Soy Sauce and Syrup they put in..

At least back ''Home'', you can find various healthy options, here it is possible but you have to dig deep to find them..

one positive here, is all the ''lovely tropical Fruits'', whereas back home, it was ''Strawberrys'' in July and thats it..

I enjoy both nearly everyday.

I miss Indian, Turkish, Mexican and Chinese food, as was sold in the UK.

The Chinese food available in Chaing Mai just tastes wrong.

The Indian curries are just too watery ...... it's gotta be thick.

Turkish and Mexican just non-existent.

There were some great Turkish restaurants in central London.

95% of the food that I eat I cook myself. But that doesn't limit me to"farang" food. I cook Thai, Indian and other cuisines. I'm American and actually have a couple of cottage pies in the freezer that I made myself. I usually keep a ball of flour tortilla dough in the fridge and pull of a knob and make tortillas all of the time, a quick fresh bread. I've lived here 18 years and have learned to become creative.

95% of the food that I eat I cook myself. But that doesn't limit me to"farang" food. I cook Thai, Indian and other cuisines. I'm American and actually have a couple of cottage pies in the freezer that I made myself. I usually keep a ball of flour tortilla dough in the fridge and pull of a knob and make tortillas all of the time, a quick fresh bread. I've lived here 18 years and have learned to become creative.

Lucky on you, cooking could be a great hobby and also very satisfying and constructive.

Lucky on you, cooking could be a great hobby and also very satisfying and constructive.

But cleaning up afterwards is a PITA! If they made disposable pots and pans I would be the first in line to buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly western food. I don't mind Thai food once in awhile but unless you pay decent money you are stuck in very unpleasant places to eat it. If I pay decent money i might as well eat western. Also all the cooking at home is western. The western food in Thailand unfortunately is usually pretty bad but what can you do?

I also do 95% of the cooking. Evertything from Indian, Mexican, Italian....Western Fare. Keep premium steaks on hand. Love smoking/bbq'ing and grilling....lots of room for homemade sauces and marinades. Thai if done right is great but stuff in most places is sub par to me. My Gf is learning and after a year and a half has picked up a bit......

Archived