Phetchabun

99BigLad99

Hi all

I live just 10km south of the city and wondered if any body knows of a general meeting place for falang in the city also if I can get decent breakfast sausages any place in the city ?

Plus where are all the falangs around here they seem so few and far between my nearest neighbour that I know is a Dutch guy Peter and that is 50km away ?

'mgc'

I can't help you very much as I live about 170 K east from BKK

But you could do the same as I do for sausage, make your own and it is dead easy.

In the market place where you shop get 1 kilo good pork and get 1/2 kilo pork fat.

Have the people there in the market mix both and pass thru the grinder 2 times. after the spices and ground pork blend over night in the fridge I then put individual servings in zip lock bags and form a patty then freeze.

Jim :o

Hot Country Style Sausage

2 1/2 lbs boneless pork butt or shoulder

pork fat

2 1/2 tsp rubbed sage

2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp ground white or black pepper

1 1/2 tsp marjoram

1 tsp crushed red chile

1/2 tsp savory

1/2 tsp ground cayenne chile

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Cut the meat (and fat, if necessary) into chunks. Spread out on a pie

pan or cookie sheet and place in the freezer to chill (not long enough

to freeze, just long enough to become firm). Grind the meat and fat

together twice, using a coarse blade. Add the spices to the meat and

fat mixture and knead it in thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at

least a couple of hours or overnight. The sausage can be stuffed into

prepared casings or formed into patties or appropriate bulk portions

and refrigerated for up to 3 days before use after which any remaining

should be frozen.

icqodber

Cheers for that I have a friend that is bringing me a mincer and some skins when he comes next to Thailand if he remembers ! the one thing I can't find here are the skins.

If your friend "forgets to bring you a mincer "grinder" not to worry as they can be found everywhere here in Thailand and are very cheap , or, as I said just have any meat seller mince it for you.

The one thing that you really MUST have would be the spice sauSAGE "SAGE" I know that that can be bought at any of the big stores like Tesco or Big C.

Good luck,

Jim

The reason that I make patty sausage is because I not sure of just how to get the sausage stuffed into a casing or skin

The reason that I make patty sausage is because I not sure of just how to get the sausage stuffed into a casing or skin

Now that bit I do know it is an attachment to the mincer (that holds the skin open) and the meat goes into the skin as it comes out of the mincer, that's the bit I cant find in Thailand hence the mincer from abroad, I even know how to string the sausage as a cousin was a butcher :o

• 2 weeks later...

Mincer easy from Chinatown (handcrank less than 1000 Baht), sausage filler from the same store, looks like a long funnel, fits on the mincer :o

Casings, small pork intestine, Tesco or your local market, you have to wash them well with salt water, my missus puts them on the tap (remember John Holmes?? :D )

Making sausages is a regular sunday job, loads of giggles putting the 6 foot condom on the filler, nice to experiment with seasoning although I still like plain salt and pepper with loads of garlic.

Try www.sausagelinks.co.uk for recipes

Even the simplest of home made taste 1000000 times better than the manufactured junk we get back home.

Edited by Crossy

Hi all

I live just 10km south of the city and wondered if any body knows of a general meeting place for falang in the city?

Not too many Westerners around Phetchabun, although if you walk the streets and shops, you're bound to bump into one now and then. Been to a couple decent bars in Phetchabun, although I only know them by sight, not by name.

My lady's younger brother lives and goes to school there. Our place is about 45-60min away, west up and down the mountains, make a right at Chon Daen, and then north about 20 clicks.

I'll be in for a visit around mid-December.

Don't know much about sausages. I just usually eat the local stuff, which is always good.

Cheers!

Mincer easy from Chinatown (handcrank less than 1000 Baht), sausage filler from the same store, looks like a long funnel, fits on the mincer :o

Casings, small pork intestine, Tesco or your local market, you have to wash them well with salt water, my missus puts them on the tap (remember John Holmes?? :D )

Making sausages is a regular sunday job, loads of giggles putting the 6 foot condom on the filler, nice to experiment with seasoning although I still like plain salt and pepper with loads of garlic.

Try www.sausagelinks.co.uk for recipes

Even the simplest of home made taste 1000000 times better than the manufactured junk we get back home.

I heartily agree...get yourself a meat grinder, I got a Sanyo 1.2kw unit that I purchased in Bahrain with all the attachments for sausage and etc. also good for ground beef which is hard to find in the provinces...it don't figure much into thai cuisine. Did a pasta bolognaise the other night that went down a treat with the family...the kids liked it...

sausage casings usually available everywhere, just wash them as Crossy says. Exotic spices like majoram and thyme usually available only in supers in BKK...anyone ever do a lemon grass sausage?

'onward sausage soldiers marching as to war...'

Hi all

I live just 10km south of the city and wondered if any body knows of a general meeting place for falang in the city also if I can get decent breakfast sausages any place in the city ?

Plus where are all the falangs around here they seem so few and far between my nearest neighbour that I know is a Dutch guy Peter and that is 50km away ?

Hi mgc

I live about 60km southwest of Khampaeng Phet near the Mae Wong national park.

My nearest neighbour is Danish but he is only here a couple of times a year, there is a French guy I believe about 4 km from me nearer the village, an American guy living in the Amphur 20 km from you, and I believe Mouse is about 10km north of Khampaeng Phet. We ahve quite a few neighbours but not really on the doorstep so to speak.