Koh Phayam

anotheruser

Going to Koh Phayam in a few days. I know it is low season but how dead will it be? I am starting to read things that many guesthouses only have their generators going in high season? I am not asking for much but would like some sort of electricity and a restaurant or two to eat at. The place I originally booked mailed me back and said they didn't have a room available due to water in the rooms. Should I cancel going there or still go have a look?

I fly into Ranong so could always go to Khao Lak instead if I wanted a plan B.

Well ticket is booked already. So it is now or never. Understand about Khao Lak not being cheap and isn't really a place I would have chose. Beginning to think of just cancelling the trip. We shall see how I feel Sunday evening about it. If I do go I will make a trip report.

Okay just heard stories of people getting there and the place they booked into wasn't really open. I will understand if I book somewhere small and end up just sharing food with the family or they have a limited menu or whatever. I live in the sticks and know how it can be. Thanks for knocking some sense into me and helping me find my sense of adventure. It is only a 4 day trip so nothing ventured nothing gained.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Samui or Phuket thousands of people like yourself.

So just got back from Koh Phayam. Mixed feelings about the place in general. The flight situation in Ranong doesn't make it the easiest place to get to. You will be stuck in Ranong on your first and last day there at least if you are traveling from somewhere like Bangkok. You get the speedboat in Ranong and it is quite pleasant, however the port is pretty scummy and stinks basically of raw sewage.

Once you get to Phayam, at least this time of year services are fairly limited. This would be expected but actually for the amount of people around they could do better in this regard. For example the main "bar" right at the port only had luke warm cans of Leo beer. Order a rum and coke and you could be disappointed, although I finally managed to get a Sang Som with coke and ice after they went to go buy coke and ice separately. Bare in mind this is the main tourist bar right at the port and the shop was around 10 meters away.

I used to think Laos was bad in regards to service but this place makes the effort to do less.

I found my best luck was at Oskar's bar which is actually owned by a guy named Rich. You order the day before and they do pretty good food. I had a pretty nice meal of Indian food there complete with homemade nan. The ocean and beaches on Phayam are generally polluted and not so great. I want to say what Phayam lacks in night life it makes up for with something, but the truth is it lacks nightlife and the beaches are nothing special. I asked about activities but there really are none unless you want to go on a live aboard dive boat. I was quoted 6,500 for a snorkeling trip and understand the distances they go for such trips given the price but didn't see the point. At that sort of price you can do it many other places that are better and cheaper.

The nicest stretch of beach I found was on Buffalo bay right in front of a place called The Sun. Really nice restaurant and place to chill the bungalows are nothing special and not on the beach. The staff were very friendly and they procured whiskey, smokes and ice for me even if it took awhile. The service was much better than some foreign owned places that are much closer to all of the conveniences.

The port side basically stinks and the big place Blue Sky there is way over priced. I wanted to like that resort but the service is horrible and the food is basically inedible at any price. If you go any amount of money you bring won't help you buy a better lifestyle, it simply isn't that kind of place. Blue Sky charges $190 a night and I just can't see paying that although I could afford to if I wanted to splurge.

So that leaves me to going back to the place on Buffalo bay and they are located in the only good spot on the beach that I saw. The sand is gentle and the water was sort of clear. They are in a sheltered corner but I saw a lot of garbage and natural debris anywhere away from this place. As a destination I can not recommend it but if you are already in the area I would say it is the best place to go if you are looking for a relaxing time.

The smog from Indonesia didn't help matters I have never seen anything like it outside of Chiang Mai. I spent 4 days but would have been happy to leave after 2 or 3. There is no party vibe and conversely the beaches are littered with garbage. They are basically mud flats if you stay on the Ranong side of the island.

I wouldn't rate it as good value for money although it is still cheap and if you are passing nearby anyway it is worth a visit. Phuket visa hoppers might find it worthwhile. Cashews are very cheap but after a few days you might get tired of them. Bring everything you think you might need because there is a very limited selection of anything to buy. I brought a box of wine and found that was a worthwhile thing to bring. The best part about the island is the locals are very friendly.

That is my take on Koh Phayam. Anybody that doesn't share my views can feel free to write their own trip report. Also just for Phuketrichard I refrained from smoking in the room.

No payam isn't for everyone,I spent 6 months there 10 years ago and loved it great vibe and atmosphere great bunch of people ,went back 2 years ago just for 3 days it'd still nice and chilled ,it's the sort of place you need to stay for longer term and meet some some of the other longstayers,I will never forget the people and times I had there 10 years ago.

• Like 2

Yeah the people living there were very friendly for sure. The consensus seemed to be if the water and beaches were any better than they are that Phayam would have been destroyed many years ago anyway. So it is best it is the way that it is. Everybody who is a big fan of the island might want to refrain from praising it lest more people come. lol

I actually think it is like you say if you stayed there awhile it would be a great place to be. For me I was just on weekend holiday mode. Had I stayed a long time I would have been able to do things to make myself more comfortable such as finding a more ideal place to stay.

The supply chain is difficult there as Ranong doesn't offer too much compared to the cities other islands have access to. I had some admiration to the ex pats there and what they go through to make things work as well as they do. they all seemed to get along pretty well with each other as well. Some small communities in Asia the ex pat scene is pretty incestuos but there was a great group of foreigners on Phayam.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any updates on Koh Phayam? I'd never heard of the place, but came across a mention of it somewhere and did a search on TV. The last post here by anotheruser is over a year old. Has anything changed dramatically since? It looks kind of interesting - slightly off the beaten track. I'm contemplating whether to go for a few days to have a look.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/25/2015 at 12:12 AM, anotheruser said:

So just got back from Koh Phayam. Mixed feelings about the place in general. The flight situation in Ranong doesn't make it the easiest place to get to. You will be stuck in Ranong on your first and last day there at least if you are traveling from somewhere like Bangkok. You get the speedboat in Ranong and it is quite pleasant, however the port is pretty scummy and stinks basically of raw sewage.

Once you get to Phayam, at least this time of year services are fairly limited. This would be expected but actually for the amount of people around they could do better in this regard. For example the main "bar" right at the port only had luke warm cans of Leo beer. Order a rum and coke and you could be disappointed, although I finally managed to get a Sang Som with coke and ice after they went to go buy coke and ice separately. Bare in mind this is the main tourist bar right at the port and the shop was around 10 meters away.

I used to think Laos was bad in regards to service but this place makes the effort to do less.

I found my best luck was at Oskar's bar which is actually owned by a guy named Rich. You order the day before and they do pretty good food. I had a pretty nice meal of Indian food there complete with homemade nan. The ocean and beaches on Phayam are generally polluted and not so great. I want to say what Phayam lacks in night life it makes up for with something, but the truth is it lacks nightlife and the beaches are nothing special. I asked about activities but there really are none unless you want to go on a live aboard dive boat. I was quoted 6,500 for a snorkeling trip and understand the distances they go for such trips given the price but didn't see the point. At that sort of price you can do it many other places that are better and cheaper.

The nicest stretch of beach I found was on Buffalo bay right in front of a place called The Sun. Really nice restaurant and place to chill the bungalows are nothing special and not on the beach. The staff were very friendly and they procured whiskey, smokes and ice for me even if it took awhile. The service was much better than some foreign owned places that are much closer to all of the conveniences.

The port side basically stinks and the big place Blue Sky there is way over priced. I wanted to like that resort but the service is horrible and the food is basically inedible at any price. If you go any amount of money you bring won't help you buy a better lifestyle, it simply isn't that kind of place. Blue Sky charges $190 a night and I just can't see paying that although I could afford to if I wanted to splurge.

So that leaves me to going back to the place on Buffalo bay and they are located in the only good spot on the beach that I saw. The sand is gentle and the water was sort of clear. They are in a sheltered corner but I saw a lot of garbage and natural debris anywhere away from this place. As a destination I can not recommend it but if you are already in the area I would say it is the best place to go if you are looking for a relaxing time.

The smog from Indonesia didn't help matters I have never seen anything like it outside of Chiang Mai. I spent 4 days but would have been happy to leave after 2 or 3. There is no party vibe and conversely the beaches are littered with garbage. They are basically mud flats if you stay on the Ranong side of the island.

I wouldn't rate it as good value for money although it is still cheap and if you are passing nearby anyway it is worth a visit. Phuket visa hoppers might find it worthwhile. Cashews are very cheap but after a few days you might get tired of them. Bring everything you think you might need because there is a very limited selection of anything to buy. I brought a box of wine and found that was a worthwhile thing to bring. The best part about the island is the locals are very friendly.

That is my take on Koh Phayam. Anybody that doesn't share my views can feel free to write their own trip report. Also just for Phuketrichard I refrained from smoking in the room.

Sad that it's not as nice as Koh phanghan bottle beach.

• 1 month later...

I went to Ko Phayam a few years ago during the so called rainy season. It didn't rain at all. On the way to the island from Ranong the boat broke down and we had to wait for a repairman who eventually arrived and fixed the engine. Much of the available accommodation was boarded up and closed because it was low season. We found a place to stay and it was OK but nothing special and over priced I thought.  Very limited selection of food and expensive compared to  similar places on the mainland. The first night we wondered down a narrow road along the beach and came to a bar/ restaurant. We sat down at a dirty table on a dirt floor and ordered some food . We ordered a BBQ fish for 600 Baht. When we turned the fish over to eat the other half the other half was missing. We then sat at the bar and the bartender, a very friendly and accommodating man, asked if we wanted a joint with our beers. I am not an imbiber but my acquaintance was elated when shown a  cigar sized joint. Within an hour the bar stated to fill up with most customers smoking dope. Good music and atmosphere. We did the same the second night. Overall, I was not at all impressed with the island. It sounded like it would be an exotic adventure but it was far from it. I didn't think the beaches were anything special either. The two acquaintances I was travelling with thought differently and would like to return. Overall, I was disappointed and have been to much nicer beaches in Thailand and in some cases more secluded.

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2015 at 12:12 AM, anotheruser said:

Thank you for your feedback, I have spent the last week end in Koh Payam, and the guy RICH you mention who is running the OSCAR bar turn to be a scam. I will advice to everyone to stay away from this man... stay safe cheers!