Thais all look Chinese now?

Hello all! Sawadee Krup!

Lately I've noticed a lack of what can be called native or original Thai faces.

By native Thai I mean Thais who have more dark complexions, including dark skin, large eyes, sometimes curly hair and overall less mongoloid appearance. Some May refer to what I'm describing as the South-East Asian race.

For me growing up even though they were not the majority where I was, there was still fair number of dark Thais in my village. I knew some Thais who could pass for Indian, if I saw them in Bangkok today I would assume they were south asian (few of them if they had light skin I would assume were farang). I didn't think much of it at the time. I had thought Thais range from looking fully chinese to almost Indian.

In recent years I've noticed a decline in number of native Thais. Few years ago I only seen a handful of native Thai faces. Now I see absolutely none. Everyone looks oriental. I would've thought I was in Vietnam based on faces alone. Is it just me or is the diversity of faces decreasing in Thailand? Why do you think this is?

BTW I'm referring to central and Eastern Thais 'standard Thais' not southern Thais who are more mixed with other ethnicities including Malays, sea gypsies, negritos etc.

Thanks!

There's no such thing as a native Thai appearance.

------------------------------------------

Exactly right.

In fact there was no such country as Thailand until about 50 years ago.

It was called the Kingdom of Siam and contained then parts of what is today Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia.

And individuals form all those areas were long ago mixed into the "Thai" people of today.

I know people who were born in "Thailand", have valid Thai I.D. cards, speak Thai and consider themselves Thai who in 3 generations have ancestors from Australia, Myanmar(Burma), and India mixed together in their Thai ancestry.

Exactly right.

It was called the Kingdom of Siam and contained then parts of what is today Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia.

And individuals form all those areas were long ago mixed into the "Thai" people of today.

I know people who were born in "Thailand", have valid Thai I.D. cards, speak Thai and consider themselves Thai who in 3 generations have ancestors from Australia, Myanmar(Burma), and India mixed together in their Thai ancestry.

Ancestors from Australia? That is interesting, as I doubt that many Aborigines have the money to fly to Thailand. Or do you mean European ancestors?

Exactly right.

A great deal of the Thais in Chonburi are of Chinese descent, you only have to look at the size of the Chinese graveyards. My wife's grandfather came from China.

In regards of OP`s native Thai appearance..

maybe he is refering to Isaan people ??..

They are still around, but many of them are slowly getting decent jobs, and then have the funds to buy hair bleach. get nose jobs and what have you..

Still i think there is a lot of them around, looking normal as usual..

In regards of OP`s native Thai appearance..

maybe he is refering to Isaan people ??..

They are still around, but many of them are slowly getting decent jobs, and then have the funds to buy hair bleach. get nose jobs and what have you..

Still i think there is a lot of them around, looking normal as usual..

Well around Siam Paragon a high percentage look like Korean models.....actually there must be a list of face styles that is very popular.

Standing there and wait for something, I saw the same faces passing me several times with different body....Or they were all in the same clinic???

And of course white like a Swedish in February....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What's more, if there is somehow a "Southeast Asian race," it's most certainly not the Thais, and never was...the ancestors of the people we call Thai today were relative newcomers to the region, coming down from southern China no earlier than the 1100s, taking over control from the native (or as close as the region has to native) Mon and Khmer populations.

Archived