Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

I'd wager that it'll be an option between showing either proof of a job OR proof of X amount of funds, not both. Similar to how retirement extensions can be obtained by showing either 800k in the bank, or 40k per month coming in to your account. Plenty of people are self-employed with an online business so have no 'boss' (that 1900s paradigm) to type up a letter saying where they work (how archaic).

Plus I can't see consulates wanting to deal with that much paperwork, i.e. chasing up someone who has more than enough money in their bank account but didn't send in a piece of paper from their employer.

I think you're missing the point as to why they would ask for details of the job/occupation. It's about demonstrating a reason to return to their home country. Because tourism is about travel and leisure during vacation from work.

How many jobs allow 6 month vacations?

Of course one could work in Macs for a week and use that to get the visa, then leave.

It's like the mandatory hotel bookings- there will just be a rise in hotel cancellations once visas are obtained.

This new diktat has not been thought through, and is not based in reality.

Mine does ;)