Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

I just checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate Web Site and they do mention the METV- but the requirements are still the same with no proof of income or other requirements that seem to be appearing in Europe. They would if I am reading correctly still issue a 2 or 3 entry Visa if requested as the price for each entry is different than the METV. There is no notice of phasing this out as of yet. The problem I see is if the Asian Thai Embassy's limit the Tourist Visa to one entry only and require the next one issued be obtained in the travelers home country. If they do this it will cause much disruption for people who are unable to get long term Visa or cannot afford the Thai Elite or cannot afford to return to their home country. In addition, those that do have funds to return every 6 months will choose not to do this as it is a long trip. There are many other more welcoming countries with progressive visa policies.

• Like 1

Not married to a Thai , not working and not over 50?

Perhaps you made a good decision.

I wasn't married to my wife at the time there we just married in the UK, I do work outside of Thailand and I am well under 50. What were my options? A £10,000 Thai Elite card which only last for 5 years and could be cancelled whenever they felt like it.

What else?

• Like 1

I'm not buying any of this nonsense. The generals running the country (into the ground admittedly) know that tourism is a golden goose.

Anything too drastic will kill it. This will be made abundantly clear before nonsense overhauls are brought fully into effect.

Some of these nonsense criterion simply won't fly long term (figuratively speaking)

I guess they can afford to be choosy now ...

BKK airport traffic has just hit records high...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/730268/suvarnabhumi-airport-traffic-soars-to-record-high

These constant visa rule changes are part of the reason I left Thailand with my family this year. I didn't feel comfortable planning to raise our two kids in Thailand knowing that at any point in the next 20 years immigration could suddenly invent a new rule which didn't include me and our life in Thailand would be over. As it happened I already didn't fit into any real visa status and ended up entering Thailand on Visa Exemptions and getting extensions based on having children there, many consider this abusing the system but there was no other option for me so I did what everyone always suggests and went back to my home country with my family.

Thailand is only for holidays and that's how they want it. Go there, spend all your money and go back home again.

The visa rules don't constantly change. The enforcement of visa rules change due to abuse.

No, you are wrong. When I first visited Thailand 6 years ago I could get a 1 year multiple entry visa just for having a Thai friend, The rules for that visa then changed every year and got more strict so that currently, I believe, you have to be married to a Thai and have a certain amount of money in a Thai bank, which is increasing every year.

All they had to do was invent a rule that anyone not working in Thailand and under 50 cannot spend more than a certain amount of days in Thailand every year and that would have ruined our family life in Thailand.

• Like 1

I wasn't married to my wife at the time there we just married in the UK, I do work outside of Thailand and I am well under 50. What were my options? A £10,000 Thai Elite card which only last for 5 years and could be cancelled whenever they felt like it.

What else?

Non immigrant 'O' visa/extension of stay to visit your kids.

• Like 1

It seems this years change of rules will be much more pain in the ass. Let's see what will finally be served once it's cooked but it sounds with all the official postings on foreign embassy sites much more serious - you were warned for two years now- my bags are packed and ready to leave anyway.

• Like 1

What else?

I wasn't married and I'm under 50 so how could I get a non-imm O?

I just checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate Web Site and they do mention the METV- but the requirements are still the same with no proof of income or other requirements that seem to be appearing in Europe. They would if I am reading correctly still issue a 2 or 3 entry Visa if requested as the price for each entry is different than the METV. There is no notice of phasing this out as of yet. The problem I see is if the Asian Thai Embassy's limit the Tourist Visa to one entry only and require the next one issued be obtained in the travelers home country. If they do this it will cause much disruption for people who are unable to get long term Visa or cannot afford the Thai Elite or cannot afford to return to their home country. In addition, those that do have funds to return every 6 months will choose not to do this as it is a long trip. There are many other more welcoming countries with progressive visa policies.

That website merely publishes a press release about the METV.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=78

The web site does not appear to have been updated with the requirement/application process to obtain a METV.

• Like 1

These constant visa rule changes are part of the reason I left Thailand with my family this year. I didn't feel comfortable planning to raise our two kids in Thailand knowing that at any point in the next 20 years immigration could suddenly invent a new rule which didn't include me and our life in Thailand would be over. As it happened I already didn't fit into any real visa status and ended up entering Thailand on Visa Exemptions and getting extensions based on having children there, many consider this abusing the system but there was no other option for me so I did what everyone always suggests and went back to my home country with my family.

Thailand is only for holidays and that's how they want it. Go there, spend all your money and go back home again.

The visa rules don't constantly change. The enforcement of visa rules change due to abuse.

No, you are wrong. When I first visited Thailand 6 years ago I could get a 1 year multiple entry visa just for having a Thai friend, The rules for that visa then changed every year and got more strict so that currently, I believe, you have to be married to a Thai and have a certain amount of money in a Thai bank, which is increasing every year.

All they had to do was invent a rule that anyone not working in Thailand and under 50 cannot spend more than a certain amount of days in Thailand every year and that would have ruined our family life in Thailand.

You're right about the non 'O' visa but little else. Non 'O' criteria does change from time to time and vary between embassies/consulates. But you said "constantly" which is not the case.

IMO as a parent of a Thai you are in the safest group of foreigners.

What else?

You can get a non 'O' as the parent of a Thai.

• Like 1

You're right about the non 'O' visa but little else. Non 'O' criteria does change from time to time and vary between embassies/consulates. But you said "constantly" which is not the case.

It went from being able to get the 1 year Non-O just by knowing a Thai person and then changed every single year to what it is now. I haven't even checked the latest rule but I'm guessing it's that you have to be married to a Thai and have more money in a Thai bank than before.

I already didn't fit into any visa category so how exactly was I safe? I could only enter on visa exemptions and get extensions. At any point they could have denied my entry into Thailand for coming too many times on exemptions.

Not really as the money requirement is new and can be raised anytime.Or you have to border run every 3 months.

Also it only lasts up to when the child is grown up.

What else?

You can get a non 'O' as the parent of a Thai.

I just checked and yes you are right. Currently you can get a non O for visiting a Thai child but that is another recent change and will be changed again in the future like it constantly is every year.

I just checked and yes you are right. Currently you can get a non O for visiting a Thai child but that is another recent change and will be changed again in the future like it constantly is every year.

Yes you can and you need money in the bank or have to leave the country every 3 months

But then what happens when the child has grown up?

Back to square one.

Edited by Kitsune

Yes you can and you need money in the bank or have to leave the country every 3 months

But then what happens when the child has grown up?

Back to square one.

When the child has grown up presumably most people would be over 50 and could get a different visa then. Having the money in the bank wasn't the issue for me, it was the ever changing criteria and instability of our life in Thailand because of it.

Edited by KunMatt

If married it's still 400k for an extension of stay. You can get a 1 year non 'O' multi entry visa without any financial proof.

You did fit in to a non 'O' visa category. I don't know how far back non 'O' visas and extensions have been available to parents, but I'm sure it's a lot longer than 6 years. A knowledge of the visa system of the foreign country you're living in is essential.

The Thai consulates in the UK would not issue a Non-Imm O based on having a Thai child, I checked with them every time I needed a visa. It was for having a Thai wife only. Based on my situation they would only grant me a multiple entry tourist visas which is what I always got whenever we came back to the UK for a holiday. When that expired I would enter again on exemptions.

The generals running the country (into the ground admittedly) know that tourism is a golden goose.

Anything too drastic will kill it.

The average stay of a "Tourist" is something like 12 days (don't remember exact value)

Tourists staying more than 90 days must not be that many,

and big part of them are probably not counted as "real tourists",

so METV and no more 2-entry 3-entry shouldn't impact tourism much wink.png

• Like 1

When I first visited Thailand 6 years ago I could get a 1 year multiple entry visa just for having a Thai friend, The rules for that visa then changed every year and got more strict //

This were not change of "Thai rules",

but change of rules at some specific Embassies or Consulates,

like Hull who was giving non-O to anyone who want (who paid wink.png) during years...

Places who always followed Thai rules have had very few or small changes in these last years.

• Like 1

If married it's still 400k for an extension of stay. You can get a 1 year non 'O' multi entry visa without any financial proof.

You did fit in to a non 'O' visa category. I don't know how far back non 'O' visas and extensions have been available to parents, but I'm sure it's a lot longer than 6 years. A knowledge of the visa system of the foreign country you're living in is essential.

The Thai consulates in the UK would not issue a Non-Imm O based on having a Thai child, I checked with them every time I needed a visa. It was for having a Thai wife only. Based on my situation they would only grant me a multiple entry tourist visas which is what I always got whenever we came back to the UK for a holiday. When that expired I would enter again on exemptions.

Liverpool and Birmingham Consulates were issuing single Non Imm O for visiting a family member.

Liverpool issued me a single Non Imm O 2 years ago and I don't have any family or dependants in Thailand.

Yes it depends on your situation and circumstances, but something tells me you either weren't supplying the correct evidence or information to them.

You can't blame the users of tourist visas as blame really lies on the embassy/consulates & for issuing & immigration for allowing people in wit back to back tourist visas.

Better precise rules & better enforcement was needed & still is needed or any new system will be much same as past in reality ...

The amount of expats who stayed long term on tourists was huge, just look at some of the companies who ran 7days a week with couches for in-outs at the borders, these people while not huge spenders in general still added a lot of revenue into the country

They really want to cut back on tourists ,

what about those going on somewhere else then coming back that way,

or the young kids who decide on the spur of the moment they'll head back

They will still have the visa exemption, allowing 30+30 more days when coming back in Thailand.