Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

one has to question the reasons for this given that foreigners have no recourse to health care,social security or the likelihood of working and earning enough money to maintain a standard of living that is only viable by working away from the family home.

It's the ongoing problem Thai immigration have separating the wheat from the chaff. It's easy enough to separate out the 2 week tourists from the longstayers . . . . but how to separate a longstayer with a net economic benefit (money flowing inward from another country, high spender) from one with a net economic loss (taking a local job, committing crime or just getting by on a bare minimum) . . . that's the cut they've been trying to make for years.

As for farang husbands - from a short term economic perspective, it makes more sense to have them abroad, earning bigger money and sending it to their wives and children in Thailand, than having them here taking a Thai job. Yeah, maybe it's a kind of a heartless economic analysis.

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy . II'm over the line I spend all my money here etc.

Fact is there will be over 2 million Chinese tourists here next year and this. Time for all the dn and others to get a visa that covers them. Sadly I don't think many can afford the elite visa.

So much for supporting economy theory

" Many under-50s will also give up and take their foreign-sourced income elsewhere"

How many is "Many"?

Thailand is visited by Millions of genuine tourists every year.

I seriously doubt that the departure of a few who cannot find a legitimate means of remaining in Thailand full time will cause much anxiety.

Plenty, and with a collective earning and spending power that renders what retirement visa holders contribute pale in comparison. It's just a matter of time before the world wakes up to the fact that a growing number of people - including those over fifty - reject the traditional office/work environment for higher-paid, tax-free independent endeavours with less hours and stress, and no office politics and Christmas parties. It's as inevitable as night and day. Welcome to the 21st century. Oh, and many thanks to the moderators for deleting my original post to this comment. No double standards applied of course.

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Like 1

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy .

Some do, some don't. The problem for Thai immigration is how to tell them apart.

One fairly blunt indicator is nationality . . . in the last crackdown, they were after Russians, Vietnamese and Koreans.

They really want to cut back on tourists , what about those going on somewhere else then coming back that way, or the young kids who decide on the spur of the moment they'll head back

Wrong about the Govt wanting to cut back on tourists. They know Farangs exploit the laws governing entry and stay. what the want is to make it harder for tourists to live here...not visit here.

• Like 1

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy . II'm over the line I spend all my money here etc.

Fact is there will be over 2 million Chinese tourists here next year and this. Time for all the dn and others to get a visa that covers them. Sadly I don't think many can afford the elite visa.

Again, who are you talking to?? When I was no longer eligible for a non-imm O visa I lived in Thailand on tourist visas and exemptions once that had expired. I spent at least 100k every month, 3mil on a house, we rented 2 condos, my son went to an international school, my daughter to a pre-school. I spent a small fortune on tourist visas in my time in Thailand because of the visa restrictions.

Big deal what you spend. If you were thai try getting a tourist visa to say my country Australia and live there ongoing. Won't happen. Pack your bags or get something other than tourist visa. You an it a tourist.

• Like 1

Again, who are you talking to?? When I was no longer eligible for a non-imm O visa I lived in Thailand on tourist visas and exemptions once that had expired. I spent at least 100k every month, 3mil on a house, we rented 2 condos, my son went to an international school, my daughter to a pre-school. I spent a small fortune on tourist visas in my time in Thailand because of the visa restrictions.
Big deal what you spend. If you were thai try getting a tourist visa to say my country Australia and live there ongoing. Won't happen. Pack your bags or get something other than tourist visa. You an it a tourist.

You clearly haven't read my posts in this thread leading up to now.

My point was you said everyone on tourists visas don't contribute anything to the Thai economy but I clearly did.

• Like 1

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy .

Some do, some don't. The problem for Thai immigration is how to tell them apart.

One fairly blunt indicator is nationality . . . in the last crackdown, they were after Russians, Vietnamese and Koreans.

All in, I contribute just over 100,000 baht a month to the Thai economy alone, in addition to volunteer work at a hostel for HIV orphans twice a week... why, what do you contribute jack*ss? Sorry, I mean jacksam

• Like 1

And on it goes, complain complain.

Thai Immigration keeps on changing the rules to keep the tourists out.

I have no money in the bank, I do not work but I like to stay in your country without any income and support my family.

You have to give me a visa because I know a person in your country.

Well where in the world this works out.

Okay, except you are a refugee of war.

Who are you talking to? Not one person so far in this thread has said anything that you quoted. You just couldn't wait to jump in and express your prejudices against your countrymen. Says a real lot about you, mate.

Thanks, I don't know you but it seems you know more about me than myself and my countyman.

I did not made a quote as suggested but who am I to discuss.

I have no prejudice against my country man or any other Tourist in Thailand. But please take a look at your own country and their visa rules.

Lots of abuse is taking place in Thailand and now there is a little enforcement we all start complaining about the rules.

Thailand is know of the lack of enforcement on many laws, what will happen here if Thailand get speed trap camera, more alcohol check points, helmet - license checkpoints, fining abuse by post like europe?

I could go on and on. But This Is Thailand, a country we all choose for different reasons.

When there is more control about a rule, people love to write whatever feelings the have on a forum. Its like a discussion in a bar after a few beers.

If you think it is personal up to you as we like to say in Thailand.

But don't judge me when I just write down comments from people I have met in Thailand.

I can easily afford the Elite visa but it can be scrapped anytime on a whim. That's how decisions are currently made in Thailand.

• Like 2

I can easily afford the Elite visa but it can be scrapped anytime on a whim. That's how decisions are currently made in Thailand.

If you can easily afford it why are you concerned about the unlikely chance of it being scrapped. If it were scrapped the visa would be valid for it's duration. The only thing at risk are the benefits which aren't worth worrying about anyway. The 20 year plan requires the visa to be renewed every 5 years and if they did opt not to renew the visa and scrap the scheme the terms of the scheme require that you get a refund.

• Like 2

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Have a thai child dependant

Get a work permit

Get an ed visa. ( hope they go soon)

Buy an elite card

There are others...

OR GO BACK TO FARANG WORLD.

don't slam door.the gig hopefully is up

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Get a work permit

Buy an elite card

There are others...

Those are the options FOR NOW. Just because you are lucky enough to fall inside of the rules this year does t necessarily mean it will always be so. And when you find yourself on the wrong side of the rules I hope you experience the same sort of condescension you show for others currently.

And when I am outside the rules I will leave. Happily it's the rules that serial bias runners for multiple tv and of course all the folk here on ed visa that have abused the system for years have caused a backlash.

On thaivisa itself I recall a daring couple bragging that they were on ed visa learning English. Never attended a class. Speak zero thai. And obtained 70% pass score. Goodbye to them and all others. You and I do not underpin the thai economy it's about 7% GDP. Take away all the folk living here legit by the rules and 2 million Chinese each year. The escape artists living here deserve nothing. Bye

• Like 1

All in, I contribute just over 100,000 baht a month to the Thai economy alone, in addition to volunteer work at a hostel for HIV orphans twice a week... why, what do you contribute jack*ss? Sorry, I mean jacksam

Sorry to bring you the bad news Tracy, as a volunteer you need a Work Permit in Thailand and with this Work Permit you can apply for extension of stay so you do not need tourist visa's anyway.

I, nor any of the other foreigners that volunteer there have WPs, except for one Japanese woman whose husband is on a WP. Once again an inexperienced expat confusing his/her narrow experiences in a country with reality on the ground. I've lived away from my country of birth since I was 6 years old in numerous places, and as a result have witnessed this kind of pompous, presumptuous ignorance countless times.... and will no doubt continue to do so.

• Like 1

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Get a work permit

Buy an elite card

There are others...

Jacksam, your post was really concise and to the point but.... you say "Get a work permit" but that isn't a visa. what you should have said is get a Non Immigrant B class visa. but work permit is really hard if you dont have a sponsor company or have things changed since I got one?

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Get a work permit

Buy an elite card

There are others...

Those are the options FOR NOW. Just because you are lucky enough to fall inside of the rules this year does t necessarily mean it will always be so. And when you find yourself on the wrong side of the rules I hope you experience the same sort of condescension you show for others currently.

And when I am outside the rules I will leave. Happily it's the rules that serial bias runners for multiple tv and of course all the folk here on ed visa that have abused the system for years have caused a backlash.

On thaivisa itself I recall a daring couple bragging that they were on ed visa learning English. Never attended a class. Speak zero thai. And obtained 70% pass score. Goodbye to them and all others. You and I do not underpin the thai economy it's about 7% GDP. Take away all the folk living here legit by the rules and 2 million Chinese each year. The escape artists living here deserve nothing. Bye

oh stop it, reading you, one would think they are taking away your lunch.

These people leaving are not gonna make you look more desirable for Thai ladies.

In UK a Thai student can pretend to be studying English in a school that does not even exists.

Then he can claim benefit, housing benefit, income support, and get free health care on NHS.

Do they get thrown out? No.

Jacksam totally agree see my previous post about scammers