Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Have a thai child dependant

Get a work permit

Get an ed visa. ( hope they go soon)

Buy an elite card

There are others...

OR GO BACK TO FARANG WORLD.

don't slam door.the gig hopefully is up

Those are the options FOR NOW. Just because you are lucky enough to fall inside of the rules this year does t necessarily mean it will always be so. And when you find yourself on the wrong side of the rules I hope you experience the same sort of condescension you show for others currently.
And when I am outside the rules I will leave. Happily it's the rules that serial bias runners for multiple tv and of course all the folk here on ed visa that have abused the system for years have caused a backlash.

On thaivisa itself I recall a daring couple bragging that they were on ed visa learning English. Never attended a class. Speak zero thai. And obtained 70% pass score. Goodbye to them and all others. You and I do not underpin the thai economy it's about 7% GDP. Take away all the folk living here legit by the rules and 2 million Chinese each year. The escape artists living here deserve nothing. Bye

And this is exactly the first point I made and part of the reason I left Thailand. How can you plan to live in a country for 20 years to raise a family in a stable environment when you are at the total mercy of the visa rules year to year?

It's all very well to say you will just leave Thailand whenever the rules don't suit you anymore but is that how you want your family to live and be subjected to? Hence the reason I left when I did before I was forced to.

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy .

Some do, some don't. The problem for Thai immigration is how to tell them apart.

One fairly blunt indicator is nationality . . . in the last crackdown, they were after Russians, Vietnamese and Koreans.

All in, I contribute just over 100,000 baht a month to the Thai economy alone, in addition to volunteer work at a hostel for HIV orphans twice a week... why, what do you contribute jack*ss? Sorry, I mean jacksam

Sorry to bring you the bad news Tracy, as a volunteer you need a Work Permit in Thailand and with this Work Permit you can apply for extension of stay so you do not need tourist visa's anyway.

I, nor any of the other foreigners that volunteer there have WPs, except for one Japanese woman whose husband is on a WP. Once again an inexperienced expat confusing his/her narrow experiences in a country with reality on the ground. I've lived away from my country of birth since I was 6 years old in numerous places, and as a result have witnessed this kind of pompous, presumptuous ignorance countless times.... and will no doubt continue to do so.

The reality is legally speaking you do need a WP and the Japanese lady doesnt get a WP on the back of her husbands WP.... so your wrong there

seems to me your the one who is showing ignorance of the rules....and what has living away from your country of birth from 6 years old got to do with it ?

Seriously....so have I and lived and worked in over 20 countries and do have a WP for Thailand so fail to see the point your trying to make other than insulting people

• Like 2

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Get a work permit

Buy an elite card

There are others...

Jacksam, your post was really concise and to the point but.... you say "Get a work permit" but that isn't a visa. what you should have said is get a Non Immigrant B class visa. but work permit is really hard if you dont have a sponsor company or have things changed since I got one?

If i'm not mistaken jacksam, you ARE in the Farang world. That's what Thai Visa is. As I commented in my previous post, perhaps instead of spending so much time in front of a laptop bashing other people over their visa status, you ought to leave the flat and discover your host country. Of course, that would also entail facing reality, so maybe have a quick drink first to soften the blow.

Maybe you should stop insulting people

• Like 2

Well, if it looks like things of doubles are the past, it is a game changer, especially if Laos or other Visa Friendly countries burn the bridge. Laos will suffer a drop of numbers and the local hotels are going to feel a drop of say 300 people across the board each day. Maybe more as Laos is really not that much a serious tourist destination. It seems that many here think that us that have been using Tourist Visas, due to the fact we are just shy of 50 to be down and out losers. Maybe they should look in the mirror as some of us ran very successful businesses and have had the choice to retire early.

Some of us are not lucky to be able to marry our partners. I am in a Transgender relationship and have been for now just on 8 years. I had no choice really to either to use ED visas for the last 8 years with a mix of Tourist visas and now most likely for the last 4 years, I will now use a PE Visa if push comes to shove. I have been very shrewd with my money but you do not get ahead by being a idiot with it.

For some here, it is just pack your bags and piss off, your shit stinks because your a Tourist. Just because your over 50 does not make you much different to us and if the Thai Government decided to 'weed' you guys out by saying you needed 2 million to be able to extend your stay, a large percentage would suddenly 'smell' as well.

This is Thailand and the boot can change to any foot very quickly and like in this case, in one foul swoop and a bold stroke of the pen, 10,000's of people (Thai business and farangs themselves) are going to pay the price.

Don't say it will not happen to you or maybe your just has happy over in Cambodia sitting on a bar stool getting a 'cultural' investigative look at the country a the bottom of a glass as so many grumpy guys do.

That's interesting point. Can you not marry in Thailand? I'm sure I saw a news story on an expat who married a ladyboy and paid a huge sinsod.

What about marrying in your home country, is that possible? Can you have a transgender marriage or a civil partnership in Thailand or back home?

Well, if it looks like things of doubles are the past, it is a game changer, especially if Laos or other Visa Friendly countries burn the bridge. Laos will suffer a drop of numbers and the local hotels are going to feel a drop of say 300 people across the board each day. Maybe more as Laos is really not that much a serious tourist destination. It seems that many here think that us that have been using Tourist Visas, due to the fact we are just shy of 50 to be down and out losers. Maybe they should look in the mirror as some of us ran very successful businesses and have had the choice to retire early.

Some of us are not lucky to be able to marry our partners. I am in a Transgender relationship and have been for now just on 8 years. I had no choice really to either to use ED visas for the last 8 years with a mix of Tourist visas and now most likely for the last 4 years, I will now use a PE Visa if push comes to shove. I have been very shrewd with my money but you do not get ahead by being a idiot with it.

For some here, it is just pack your bags and piss off, your shit stinks because your a Tourist. Just because your over 50 does not make you much different to us and if the Thai Government decided to 'weed' you guys out by saying you needed 2 million to be able to extend your stay, a large percentage would suddenly 'smell' as well.

This is Thailand and the boot can change to any foot very quickly and like in this case, in one foul swoop and a bold stroke of the pen, 10,000's of people (Thai business and farangs themselves) are going to pay the price.

Don't say it will not happen to you or maybe your just has happy over in Cambodia sitting on a bar stool getting a 'cultural' investigative look at the country a the bottom of a glass as so many grumpy guys do.

That's interesting point. Can you not marry in Thailand? I'm sure I saw a news story on an expat who married a ladyboy and paid a huge sinsod.

What about marrying in your home country, is that possible? Can you have a transgender marriage or a civil partnership in Thailand or back home?

They are not recognised in Thailand....irrespective of where its done...i guess you could to the buddist thing but thats not a recognised marriage either

Marriage between those of the same sex is not permitted in Thailand.

The "marriage" you refer to was just a vulgar display of exhibitionism.

Many "enlightened" Western countries do allow such "marriages" !

• Like 1

...Many under-50s will also give up and take their foreign-sourced income elsewhere. I love Thailand, so will stick it out as long as there is a sensible way.

...How many is "Many"?

Thailand is visited by Millions of genuine tourists every year.

I seriously doubt that the departure of a few who cannot find a legitimate means of remaining in Thailand full time will cause much anxiety. Where is elsewhere..

Countries with flap doors. Name them. Wrong guy quoted. Sorry.

Cambodia and The Philippines, to name 2 where I have lived.

The Philippines does require one exiting plane ticket, to get 14 months, after which you fly out and back. They (somewhat) recently introduced an "outsourcing" type business visa, though I have not explored the details of this option.

Cambodia is $240/year, extendable forever from one $35 visa-on-arrival at the border (do not take the $30 option, if you want to extend beyond 2 months). This might increase to $360/yr, but has not yet, afaik.

As far at the "few" - hard to quantify, given the current situation. But imagine if there was a simple "show $X transferred every 3 months" rule, and how many would rather live here than those other two options. Personally, I have spoken to many people who live as expats, who say, "Not Thailand, because it is a pita to keep a visa," and live elsewhere. They used to live here, and now live all over the world, from Cambodia to Brazil. They ask me why I deal with it, and I simply reply, "I love it here."

if you qualify for the proper visa Thailand is easy, from my experience here the complainers do not qualify for long term stay. If you want to blame someone just find the peopleworking illigally.

Ok, I always thought that Thailand being as tolerant as it is with gays and ladyboys it would allow at least civil partnerships. Apparently not.

Actually my fellow friend you are incorrect. The fact is that many of the "enlightened"countries have already "gone that way" to allow your so called "vulgar display of exhibitionism." Its you hiding behind your keyboard who is being vulgar. Take your crap and back it in your a.s.s. It smells like poop dum dum.

I cannot see them axing the DE visa totally. Nothing they have released lately has suggested as much.

I think they will introduce this new visa to consulates in western countries, to replace the multiple entry system now in use, but im confident all the bordering countries will continue to issue the double entries..its their bread and butter

I just checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate Web Site and they do mention the METV- but the requirements are still the same with no proof of income or other requirements that seem to be appearing in Europe. They would if I am reading correctly still issue a 2 or 3 entry Visa if requested as the price for each entry is different than the METV. There is no notice of phasing this out as of yet. The problem I see is if the Asian Thai Embassy's limit the Tourist Visa to one entry only and require the next one issued be obtained in the travelers home country. If they do this it will cause much disruption for people who are unable to get long term Visa or cannot afford the Thai Elite or cannot afford to return to their home country. In addition, those that do have funds to return every 6 months will choose not to do this as it is a long trip. There are many other more welcoming countries with progressive visa policies.

A friend of mine went to the LA consulate last month, all they could offer him was a double entry tourist visa. Previously he purchased triple entry visas, they told him they don't do them any more.

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy . II'm over the line I spend all my money here etc.

Fact is there will be over 2 million Chinese tourists here next year and this. Time for all the dn and others to get a visa that covers them. Sadly I don't think many can afford the elite visa.

So much for supporting economy theory

I can easily afford the Elite visa but it can be scrapped anytime on a whim. That's how decisions are currently made in Thailand.

If you can easily afford it why are you concerned about the unlikely chance of it being scrapped. If it were scrapped the visa would be valid for it's duration. The only thing at risk are the benefits which aren't worth worrying about anyway. The 20 year plan requires the visa to be renewed every 5 years and if they did opt not to renew the visa and scrap the scheme the terms of the scheme require that you get a refund.

I assume I CAN quote you on that?

But I am nomad backpacker who takes selfies of all my vegan food!!!! I love Thailand sooooo much!!!! I will study their language!!!

what if I got a letter from my Mom saying I am not really homeless, technically?

what is this work permit i need if i have youtube channel??? but i want to be famous in Thailand!!!!

(insert crying emote here)

• Like 1

I just checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate Web Site and they do mention the METV- but the requirements are still the same with no proof of income or other requirements that seem to be appearing in Europe. They would if I am reading correctly still issue a 2 or 3 entry Visa if requested as the price for each entry is different than the METV. There is no notice of phasing this out as of yet. The problem I see is if the Asian Thai Embassy's limit the Tourist Visa to one entry only and require the next one issued be obtained in the travelers home country. If they do this it will cause much disruption for people who are unable to get long term Visa or cannot afford the Thai Elite or cannot afford to return to their home country. In addition, those that do have funds to return every 6 months will choose not to do this as it is a long trip. There are many other more welcoming countries with progressive visa policies.

A friend of mine went to the LA consulate last month, all they could offer him was a double entry tourist visa. Previously he purchased triple entry visas, they told him they don't do them any more.

Toronto consulate still issuing triple entries. Got one last week. Not sure for how long though.

I hope all the folk that are living here on tourist visa over and over get the boot. They certainly contribute little to thai economy . II'm over the line I spend all my money here etc.

Fact is there will be over 2 million Chinese tourists here next year and this. Time for all the dn and others to get a visa that covers them. Sadly I don't think many can afford the elite visa.

So much for supporting economy theory

I can easily afford the Elite visa but it can be scrapped anytime on a whim. That's how decisions are currently made in Thailand.

If you can easily afford it why are you concerned about the unlikely chance of it being scrapped. If it were scrapped the visa would be valid for it's duration. The only thing at risk are the benefits which aren't worth worrying about anyway. The 20 year plan requires the visa to be renewed every 5 years and if they did opt not to renew the visa and scrap the scheme the terms of the scheme require that you get a refund.

I assume I CAN quote you on that?

Go and read the T&C's of the TE contract.....it states it in black and white

• Like 2

...Many under-50s will also give up and take their foreign-sourced income elsewhere. I love Thailand, so will stick it out as long as there is a sensible way.

...How many is "Many"?

Thailand is visited by Millions of genuine tourists every year.

I seriously doubt that the departure of a few who cannot find a legitimate means of remaining in Thailand full time will cause much anxiety. Where is elsewhere..

Countries with flap doors. Name them. Wrong guy quoted. Sorry.

Cambodia and The Philippines, to name 2 where I have lived.

The Philippines does require one exiting plane ticket, to get 14 months, after which you fly out and back. They (somewhat) recently introduced an "outsourcing" type business visa, though I have not explored the details of this option.

Cambodia is $240/year, extendable forever from one $35 visa-on-arrival at the border (do not take the $30 option, if you want to extend beyond 2 months). This might increase to $360/yr, but has not yet, afaik.

As far at the "few" - hard to quantify, given the current situation. But imagine if there was a simple "show $X transferred every 3 months" rule, and how many would rather live here than those other two options. Personally, I have spoken to many people who live as expats, who say, "Not Thailand, because it is a pita to keep a visa," and live elsewhere. They used to live here, and now live all over the world, from Cambodia to Brazil. They ask me why I deal with it, and I simply reply, "I love it here."

I have lived in Thailand , legally, for a long time.

I have not and do not anticipate any problem with remaining in Thailand legally. .

Those who find Thailand and its easy to meet visa requirements to be a "pita" are better off elsewhere, where, of course, the grass is greener.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

It make sence to me.

Purpose of Tourist Visa is for visitors (tourists) into Thailand, not for living in the Kingdom.

And it is not very expensive, 5000 THB for a 6 months multiple entry visa, or

a visit to nearest Consulate or Embassy outside Thailand, apply for dubble entry tourist visa, with overnight, costs variable due to hotel etc.

Back into Thailand for 60 days, 30 day extension at 1900 Thb, border run for another 60 days and again 1900 Thb for the extra 30 days.

Seems to me you spend more money than the 5000 Thb for this new Tourist Visa.

Add in flights to your home country every six months if you want to be accurate, as that is the only place the 6 month'er will be available. Still sound good financially??

Here are the options.

Get married to a thai

Get a work permit

Buy an elite card

There are others...

Those are the options FOR NOW. Just because you are lucky enough to fall inside of the rules this year does t necessarily mean it will always be so. And when you find yourself on the wrong side of the rules I hope you experience the same sort of condescension you show for others currently.
And when I am outside the rules I will leave. Happily it's the rules that serial bias runners for multiple tv and of course all the folk here on ed visa that have abused the system for years have caused a backlash.

On thaivisa itself I recall a daring couple bragging that they were on ed visa learning English. Never attended a class. Speak zero thai. And obtained 70% pass score. Goodbye to them and all others. You and I do not underpin the thai economy it's about 7% GDP. Take away all the folk living here legit by the rules and 2 million Chinese each year. The escape artists living here deserve nothing. Bye

oh stop it, reading you, one would think they are taking away your lunch.

These people leaving are not gonna make you look more desirable for Thai ladies.

In UK a Thai student can pretend to be studying English in a school that does not even exists.

Then he can claim benefit, housing benefit, income support, and get free health care on NHS.

Do they get thrown out? No.

Is your pre disposition to pollute tv with mindless rubbish. There are many members that complain about the back forth nonsense. Stick to the OP

• Like 1

The biggest group of tourist are the Chinese their avarage stay is 5 days no need for long term visa

I think the idea is to make them stay longer.

Or rather to ween out the poorest farangs.

They can be choosy, tourism has never been so high despite political coup, bombing, etc.

Fortunately I'll be applying for a double entry TR at the beginning of November. The embassy here is issuing 2+3x TR until 12.11. From 13.11 onwards it's only the new METV. (Berlin)

That's where they lose me. For over a decade, on and off, usually in winter, (last time 5 weeks in May 2014) I've spent anywhere between 1 and 4 months based in LOS with trips out to other countries, using 2x + 3x TRs. It meant I didn't have to worry about border runs after 30 days, and could time the trips according to my own schedule. Only once did I extend a 60 day entry by 30 days.

Problem is my account never has €5000 in it, never mind 3 months in a row (they want to see your account statements from the 3 months previous to application). I have a damn good job, and get paid well above average. However I have always lived pretty much hand to mouth (on a reasonably high level) from a secure cash flow from work and have no savings. It's how I live, full stop.

My trip this year as usual is funded from cash flow - holiday pay, which isn't in my account yet. So in future (after 13.11) they won't give me a multi entry (hitherto 2x/3x) visa any more, because of a "lack of funds".

Guess what, I'll have to start entering on 30 day visa exempts, extend for 30, then do GOSH! - a border run. Whaddaya know. The law of unintended consequences - turning someone who always stuck to the rules into a visa waiver border runner who can brandish THB20k at Nong Khai or Aranya Prathet.

Was there not at least one brain cell in the Thai administration capable of coming up with a better solution to visa abuse than this?

I suspect that an awful lot of snowbirds won't have a steady 5k on their accounts either.

Fortunately I'll be applying for a double entry TR at the beginning of November. The embassy here is issuing 2+3x TR until 12.11. From 13.11 onwards it's only the new METV. (Berlin)

That's where they lose me. For over a decade, on and off, usually in winter, (last time 5 weeks in May 2014) I've spent anywhere between 1 and 4 months based in LOS with trips out to other countries, using 2x + 3x TRs. It meant I didn't have to worry about border runs after 30 days, and could time the trips according to my own schedule. Only once did I extend a 60 day entry by 30 days.

Problem is my account never has €5000 in it, never mind 3 months in a row (they want to see your account statements from the 3 months previous to application). I have a damn good job, and get paid well above average. However I have always lived pretty much hand to mouth (on a reasonably high level) from a secure cash flow from work and have no savings. It's how I live, full stop.

My trip this year as usual is funded from cash flow - holiday pay, which isn't in my account yet. So in future (after 13.11) they won't give me a multi entry (hitherto 2x/3x) visa any more, because of a "lack of funds".

Guess what, I'll have to start entering on 30 day visa exempts, extend for 30, then do GOSH! - a border run. Whaddaya know. The law of unintended consequences - turning someone who always stuck to the rules into a visa waiver border runner who can brandish THB20k at Nong Khai or Aranya Prathet.

Was there not at least one brain cell in the Thai administration capable of coming up with a better solution to visa abuse than this?

I suspect that an awful lot of snowbirds won't have a steady 5k on their accounts either.

They are just selecting us by money and they can afford it, tourism despite bombing and coup has gone up 15% this year alone.

So somebody that has a 90 day holiday planned, won't be able to get a simple visa that allows them to say go th thailand, then leave thailand, go to Cambodia for a week or two and then go back to Thailand to finish their holiday? Their only recourse is this new nutty sounding and expensive and loaded with pre-plan and booking proof requirements visa?

• Like 1

I've never heard of having to show bank statements for a tourist visa before. Not in any country, anywhere.

Countries around the world are reducing the amount of red tape required to visit and make things easier for tourists whilst Thailand is doing the exact opposite.

I suspect this new visa is going to fail and backfire in a big and embarrassing way. Also if they stop issuing double and triple entry visas it will result in just one thing - less people will come and those who do come will stay for less time.

It's either a badly thought out and irrational idea or a deliberate attempt to reduce visitors. Then again, I'm reminded of something known as 'Hanlons Razor' so it's probably just plain idiocy.

• Like 1