Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

So somebody that has a 90 day holiday planned, won't be able to get a simple visa that allows them to say go th thailand, then leave thailand, go to Cambodia for a week or two and then go back to Thailand to finish their holiday? Their only recourse is this new nutty sounding and expensive and loaded with pre-plan and booking proof requirements visa?

I agree with your sentiment entirely. This is the first time I've ever felt badly done by by LOS. Utterly ludicrous. And a titanic pain in the backside at best.

I manage to bag 120 day (90 days paid) holidays every couple of years, and the new rules screw me with all this proof of leaving/reentering and €5k on the account. And believe me I have NO desire to work in LOS.

I'll be taking a trip during my snowjourn this winter, probably through Laos - at some point between late December and early January. I can't possibly book right now because I have no idea when. Then activating the second entry probably at Mukhdahan. I'm really looking forward to the experience, as well as traveling through parts of Thailand I've not visited yet as well - like possibly up to Nakhon Panom, and possibly across towards Khorat. Then I go back to an apartment I've booked for the whole holiday. All no longer possible under new rules.

Still possible for 90 day holidays though - they're still issuing 1x TRs after 13.11 - at least in Berlin. So there's a little wiggle room for shortish trips. i.e. 1x TR + 30-day waiver at border on reentry + poss. extension. Or 1x TR in PP or Vientiane - but that's just the kind of unnecessary poo that I want to avoid. That's why I always forked out €30 per entry in Berlin - to get that garbage out of the way during my holiday.

The new METVs are more expensive than the previous 3x TR as well. The METV costs €150. The triple entry €90! How many will want 5 entries in 6 months?

Oh yeah ... and correction to my post above - they don't want to see bank statements from previous 3 months. Maybe I'll park some cash from a friend on my account for a few days next year if I want an METV. But that's next year. This year at least I'm still OK to apply for 2x TR on 02.11.

I think. For now.

I'll keep you all posted, and try and get some verbal feedback from the visa section here.

I've never heard of having to show bank statements for a tourist visa before. Not in any country, anywhere.

Countries around the world are reducing the amount of red tape required to visit and make things easier for tourists whilst Thailand is doing the exact opposite.

I suspect this new visa is going to fail and backfire in a big and embarrassing way. Also if they stop issuing double and triple entry visas it will result in just one thing - less people will come and those who do come will stay for less time.

It's either a badly thought out and irrational idea or a deliberate attempt to reduce visitors. Then again, I'm reminded of something known as 'Hanlons Razor' so it's probably just plain idiocy.

No bank statements showing money inflow/outflow & people will be refused a visitors/tourist visa to the UK.

Them are the "UK Rules."

Wife got refused before we married only for that reason.

Got 1 for sister-inlaw this year & had to help her have a "job" at the local hotel 6 months prior to show income, outgoings & a letter of employment.

Thailand, the centre of the world.

It's like having a schoolboy crush on a girl who just keeps rejecting you.

The regs will tighten for a while then status quo will resume. Just like the cycles of the moon.

This ain't a "crackdown".

The new rules are up on the embassy websites, complete with dates and requirements. It ain't about immigration border personnel having a good or bad day, and holding out hands or not. If they want to let this lot lapse, they'll have to change the rules back and repost on their websites.

No, this is part of a sea change. There is a new visa with new conditions, it is central government policy. There will be no more 2x/3x TRs. They're history.

• Like 1

I've seen a new visa.

I've seen refusal of multi visas from neighbouring countries.

I haven't seen refusal of tourist visas.

I haven't seen a statement stating the METV will replace the existing tourist visa.

If I've missed that, then I apologise.

Have a look at posts 4, 11 + 13.

I can also assure you that the German embassy site says on its visa requirements page, in German, that there will be no more 2x/3x entry TR visas issued in Berlin after 13 Nov. Only the METV. I have no idea how many embassies this applies to and don't feel like researching it at this time. But there's something of a small list in an earlier post which includes Singapore and Cambodia, Norway, Germany and Italy - though not, interestingly, the UK or US. wai.gif

I find it hard to believe that this is just a balloon they're floating. They've completely altered the requirements table, with dates, costs and requirements. I also find it hard to believe they've singled out let's say Germany and Norway. Why? Do they have masses of German or Norwegian teachers working on visa waivers in Thailand? Hardly.

• Like 1

everybody scares, why?

many things will be fine,

every country has many Consulats, who are paid by work, more Visa´s more money,

people who own Condos in Thailand is hard to refuse entry without any real reason,

Goverment would have to pay Compensation.

For all the TV members who have the opinion only they have the right to stay in Thailand because they are rich or over 50y

I wish you that in your town all foreigners will move, all foreign restaurants and shops will be closed, the value of there houses and Condos will go down by 80% .And they can spend all their time with the Chinese tourists and the locals,

Look like this is the life what all this perfect farangs looking for.

FYI abusing a system means to get something from the system, and there is no foreigner who get anything from the Thai Goverment!

• Like 1

I've seen a new visa.

I've seen refusal of multi visas from neighbouring countries.

I haven't seen refusal of tourist visas.

I haven't seen a statement stating the METV will replace the existing tourist visa.

If I've missed that, then I apologise.

Have a look at posts 4, 11 + 13.

I can also assure you that the German embassy site says on its visa requirements page, in German, that there will be no more 2x/3x entry TR visas issued in Berlin after 13 Nov. Only the METV. I have no idea how many embassies this applies to and don't feel like researching it at this time. But there's something of a small list in an earlier post which includes Singapore and Cambodia, Norway, Germany and Italy - though not, interestingly, the UK or US. wai.gif

I find it hard to believe that this is just a balloon they're floating. They've completely altered the requirements table, with dates, costs and requirements. I also find it hard to believe they've singled out let's say Germany and Norway. Why? Do they have masses of German or Norwegian teachers working on visa waivers in Thailand? Hardly.

If German's can only receive a METV from within Germany for a longer stay they can receive a tourist visa from the likes of Savannakhet.

I presume they can still recieve a single tourist visa.

I see the reason to remove x2,x3 is to make the new METV work for single vacation visitors. The regular traveller would have a single, then a visa run. Not too much of a change.

I agree there's a movement at the moment, but once a government without insular views takes office things will ease up again. Maybe a decade, maybe sooner, who knows but will change again.

It's impractical for people to complete the requirements of the METV who travel regular.

When the tourist visa goes, I'll jump onboard.

I've never heard of having to show bank statements for a tourist visa before. Not in any country, anywhere.

Countries around the world are reducing the amount of red tape required to visit and make things easier for tourists whilst Thailand is doing the exact opposite.

I suspect this new visa is going to fail and backfire in a big and embarrassing way. Also if they stop issuing double and triple entry visas it will result in just one thing - less people will come and those who do come will stay for less time.

It's either a badly thought out and irrational idea or a deliberate attempt to reduce visitors. Then again, I'm reminded of something known as 'Hanlons Razor' so it's probably just plain idiocy.

I dont think they mind losing a few thousands farangs with all the Chinese they are gaining.

2015 despite bombing has reached new high in tourism

thailand-tourist-arrivals.png?s=thailand

I don't know about you, but I have seen many business closing in Thailand. in tesco by example, lot of booths are empty. I have heard that many Thai are now very worry because they have no more customers.

some have tried to open restaurant and now are back at the night market.

I see less foreigners, it means less customers, and less jobs for thai.

Chinese don't spend a lot in Thailand rich Chinese go UK or Paris.

if I understand, only one entry visa will be given in Lao now . instead to cross the bridge after 90 days for second entry, we will have now to go to the embassy every 90 days to get a new tourist visa. multi entry visa not worth. normal 1 entry visa will take only one night in lao. the real pain is in your farangland, they will ask for a return ticket within 3 months.

Edited by VIPinthailand
  • Like 1

How does a tourist who is retired and exploring SEA get on, he has no job but probably lots of money?

A tourist who will enter multiple countries a single time will have not problem...... for Thailand many nationalities have visa free entry.

If he would like to base himself in Thailand, a 6 month multiple visa would fulfil his needs..

Lots of money, fly home and get another.....

I think you might be asking for those who are not really tourists.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I have seen many business closing in Thailand. in tesco by example, lot of booths are empty. I have heard that many Thai are now very worry because they have no more customers.

if I understand, only one entry visa will be given in Lao now . instead to cross the bridge after 90 days for second entry, we will have now to go to the embassy every 90 days to get a new tourist visa. multi entry visa not worth. normal 1 entry visa will take only one night in lao. the real pain is in your farangland, they will ask for a return ticket within 3 months.

- Chinese bring a lot of money to designated areas, tourists spots, on a 2 weeks holidays group tour,they wont do a stop over at Tesco.

- Beside tourism, the rest of the economy is not as sluggish as you might see. They have built Tescos and BiG C right left and center, the economy is is indeed growing, but not as fast as some would like, that's all.

- True there are indeed much less foreigners in Thai places, but Thailand is not worried about the ones going to Tesco (low budget) but rather the higher end, Villa Market types which are expanding.

They are just getting rid of the poorer ones, thats all.

I cannot see them axing the DE visa totally. Nothing they have released lately has suggested as much.

I think they will introduce this new visa to consulates in western countries, to replace the multiple entry system now in use, but im confident all the bordering countries will continue to issue the double entries..its their bread and butter

ONLY Laos and Bali issued doubles in the area,

- Chinese bring a lot of money to designated areas, tourists spots, on a 2 weeks holidays group tour,they wont do a stop over at Tesco.

- Beside tourism, the rest of the economy is not as sluggish as you might see. They have built Tescos and BiG C right left and center, the economy is is indeed growing, but not as fast as some would like, that's all.

- True there are indeed much less foreigners in Thai places, but Thailand is not worried about the ones going to Tesco (low budget) but rather the higher end, Villa Market types which are expanding.

They are just getting rid of the poorer ones, thats all.

I take it u do not live here ( a Chinese holiday is not 2 weeks)

Chinese pre pay everything before they leave China

they shop alot at Tesco/big C, box the purchases up and mail them home

the country is falling apart up north, people out of work, cant grow rice, factories closing everywhere an many returning to the village.

Car sales WAY down, shops closing everywhere

• Like 1

So somebody that has a 90 day holiday planned, won't be able to get a simple visa that allows them to say go th thailand, then leave thailand, go to Cambodia for a week or two and then go back to Thailand to finish their holiday? Their only recourse is this new nutty sounding and expensive and loaded with pre-plan and booking proof requirements visa?

Of course theh can they get a re entry permit same as you can do now

The UK is one of those that make you show bank statements....;)

Keep calm, even with this new rules - for the average farlang doesn't matter if no-low-middle-high earner/aged there will always be a visa to come by. But take every rule change as a moment to reassess if this is- with all the changes going on , not limited to visas- still the country you want to spent money and time for a certain period. I do, and certainly not sure about for quite some time now.

I don't know about you, but I have seen many business closing in Thailand. in tesco by example, lot of booths are empty. I have heard that many Thai are now very worry because they have no more customers.some have tried to open restaurant and now are back at the night market. I see less foreigners, it means less customers, and less jobs for thai. Chinese don't spend a lot in Thailand rich Chinese go UK or Paris.

Ditto - Many condos still vacant along the coast, even with high season beginning. I see more tourists, so more hotels must have customers now, but not so much for the condos.

The question is, what will be the rules for back-to-back - i.e. what are the specific terms of the "blue stamp". Hopefully, they will clarify that down to a specific amount/mo in $$ transferred into Thailand. Otherwise, I will be visiting a lot of other nearby countries, and/or making trips to Hawaii for the 6-mo METV (which works out to ~9 mo, if existing extensions apply).

One upside to all this, is I never looked forward to turning 50, before - now I do :-)

There has been much discussion in this thread about the negative effect upon some visitors of removing the double and or triple entry TR visas from being available after November, but I wonder what effect this change will have on the Thai consulates, particularly those in Laos at Vientiane and Savannakhet. I would imagine that much of the funding for these establishments comes from the fees from the regular and large demand for TR visas therefore, and I am giving a ‘positive spin’ to this, maybe the consulates will allow ‘many’, back-to-back, single entry TR visas in order to maintain their income levels.

Having been to both Vientiane and Savannakhet consulates and seen the large numbers of people applying for (mostly) TR visas it would seem that, at least in Laos, the consulates would lose a considerable amount of income when the multi-entry visa replaces 2-3 entry TR in November. If the rule suggesting that multi-entry will only be available to citizens of the country where the application is made is in fact correct, then I doubt there will be much take up of this visa from Laos, Cambodia Malaysia etc. as citizens of these countries get a free 30 day entry to Thailand as often as they require it under ASEAN agreements.

As the OP states, “Many people asked us about the new Tourist Visa regulations. Fact is, that they are not in place yet. There is a meeting planned for Mid-November where details will be agreed upon and rules are coming into effect…”

So it would appear that there has been, as yet, no definitive decision made on how it is going to work, but it can be safely said that if the rule becomes, ‘1 TR and no more’ at Thailand’s neighbouring Thai consulates then they presumably face a future with a much reduced income, which suggests to me that they may be more accommodating in providing ‘back to back’, single TR visas to those who apply for them.

All speculation of course, as are some other posts in this thread, as full information is not yet available. Just trying to offer a more positive outlook over a sea of negativity.

There has been much discussion in this thread about the negative effect upon some visitors of removing the double and or triple entry TR visas from being available after November, but I wonder what effect this change will have on the Thai consulates, particularly those in Laos at Vientiane and Savannakhet. I would imagine that much of the funding for these establishments comes from the fees from the regular and large demand for TR visas therefore, and I am giving a ‘positive spin’ to this, maybe the consulates will allow ‘many’, back-to-back, single entry TR visas in order to maintain their income levels.

Having been to both Vientiane and Savannakhet consulates and seen the large numbers of people applying for (mostly) TR visas it would seem that, at least in Laos, the consulates would lose a considerable amount of income when the multi-entry visa replaces 2-3 entry TR in November. If the rule suggesting that multi-entry will only be available to citizens of the country where the application is made is in fact correct, then I doubt there will be much take up of this visa from Laos, Cambodia Malaysia etc. as citizens of these countries get a free 30 day entry to Thailand as often as they require it under ASEAN agreements.

As the OP states, “Many people asked us about the new Tourist Visa regulations. Fact is, that they are not in place yet. There is a meeting planned for Mid-November where details will be agreed upon and rules are coming into effect…”

So it would appear that there has been, as yet, no definitive decision made on how it is going to work, but it can be safely said that if the rule becomes, ‘1 TR and no more’ at Thailand’s neighbouring Thai consulates then they presumably face a future with a much reduced income, which suggests to me that they may be more accommodating in providing ‘back to back’, single TR visas to those who apply for them.

All speculation of course, as are some other posts in this thread, as full information is not yet available. Just trying to offer a more positive outlook over a sea of negativity.

Agreed, if they stop the 2& 3 entries and only offer METV to Laotians, Laos will indeed see a lot of empty hotels.

Regarding back to backs, they (Vientiane and Savannakhet) already have said 2 TR visas only.

It is yet not clear if they mean 2 per passport or per consulate or even per country of application.

Savannakhet has already refused people on 2 from Vientiane, so it could be per country, but there have been reports of people accepted with more than 2, so luck/the officers mood/the day you go, are also a factor.. as always in THL...

Edited by Kitsune

Agreed, if they stop the 2& 3 entries and only offer METV to Laotians, Laos will indeed see a lot of empty hotels.

Regarding back to backs, they (Vientiane and Savannakhet) already have said 2 TR visas only.

It is yet not clear if they mean 2 per passport or per consulate or even per country of application.

Savannakhet has already refused people on 2 from Vientiane, so it could be per country, but there have been reports of people accepted with more than 2, so luck/the officers mood/the day you go, are also a factor.. as always in THL...

My view is that the consulates, particularly in Laos, will want to offer the option of getting, back-to-back single TR visas if the consulate is to remain viable. In my opinion, the potential reduction in their income would have an enormous effect if the TR visas are limited to one or two per passport. Moreover, there is also the effect on Laos as a country, who, I imagine, stand to lose massive amounts from visa on arrival at $35 per person when people enter Laos in order to purchase a visa from the Thai consulates. I would think that most of the fees are received from 'foreigners' who enter Laos in order to obtain a further Thai visa and leave after a couple of days. I just cannot see that this will be a 'long term thing' as so much money will be lost to the various agencies involved. Again, just my view.

My view is that the consulates, particularly in Laos, will want to offer the option of getting, back-to-back single TR visas if the consulate is to remain viable. In my opinion, the potential reduction in their income would have an enormous effect if the TR visas are limited to one or two per passport. Moreover, there is also the effect on Laos as a country, who, I imagine, stand to lose massive amounts from visa on arrival at $35 per person when people enter Laos in order to purchase a visa from the Thai consulates. I would think that most of the fees are received from 'foreigners' who enter Laos in order to obtain a further Thai visa and leave after a couple of days. I just cannot see that this will be a 'long term thing' as so much money will be lost to the various agencies involved. Again, just my view.

Exactly, Laos has virtually no industries, no oil, no gas, no resources, and tourism is low, so the income from visa runners is very much needed.

On the other hand, with the excellent Thai tourism figures for the past 5 years, Thailand can definitely afford to loose its visa runners and buy itself a new up market image to reassure conservative Chinese tourists.

Fortunately I'll be applying for a double entry TR at the beginning of November. The embassy here is issuing 2+3x TR until 12.11. From 13.11 onwards it's only the new METV. (Berlin)

That's where they lose me. For over a decade, on and off, usually in winter, (last time 5 weeks in May 2014) I've spent anywhere between 1 and 4 months based in LOS with trips out to other countries, using 2x + 3x TRs. It meant I didn't have to worry about border runs after 30 days, and could time the trips according to my own schedule. Only once did I extend a 60 day entry by 30 days.

Problem is my account never has €5000 in it, never mind 3 months in a row (they want to see your account statements from the 3 months previous to application). I have a damn good job, and get paid well above average. However I have always lived pretty much hand to mouth (on a reasonably high level) from a secure cash flow from work and have no savings. It's how I live, full stop.

My trip this year as usual is funded from cash flow - holiday pay, which isn't in my account yet. So in future (after 13.11) they won't give me a multi entry (hitherto 2x/3x) visa any more, because of a "lack of funds".

Guess what, I'll have to start entering on 30 day visa exempts, extend for 30, then do GOSH! - a border run. Whaddaya know. The law of unintended consequences - turning someone who always stuck to the rules into a visa waiver border runner who can brandish THB20k at Nong Khai or Aranya Prathet.

Was there not at least one brain cell in the Thai administration capable of coming up with a better solution to visa abuse than this?

I suspect that an awful lot of snowbirds won't have a steady 5k on their accounts either.

Surely you can show the money needed for a single entry TR? That will give you 3 months with an extension of stay. And one border hop would give another 60 days possible. Or it may still be possible to get a new TR locally to Thailand giving another 3 months.

I don't see that tourists like you will have too much problem.

whistling.gif

I wasn't married and I'm under 50 so how could I get a non-imm O?

In October 2010 I believe I was one of the last batch of people to get a Non-immigrant O Visa from Hull based on "Visiting friends and acquaintances In Thailand".

No documents required, although in my case it was really true.... I even provided them names and telephone numbers, but they didn't care..... just my word was enough then.

And the kicker is..... I have a U.S .passport.

I received a one year multi -entry Non immigrant O Visa and later extended that in Bangkok to a retirement extension in October 2011.

How times have changed since then.

• Like 1

The UK is one of those that make you show bank statements....;)
Sweden too.

Suffice to show account balance from your smartphone.

Don't know the amounts because I just overheard this conversation while at the embassy.

The consulates/embassies are not running a visa shop for their own amusement.

Unclear how people can even think that.

They are all instruments to the Thai government and obey rules from above.

Not the purpose of an embassy or consulate to keep hotels and visa run companies happy.

These constant visa rule changes are part of the reason I left Thailand with my family this year. I didn't feel comfortable planning to raise our two kids in Thailand knowing that at any point in the next 20 years immigration could suddenly invent a new rule which didn't include me and our life in Thailand would be over. As it happened I already didn't fit into any real visa status and ended up entering Thailand on Visa Exemptions and getting extensions based on having children there, many consider this abusing the system but there was no other option for me so I did what everyone always suggests and went back to my home country with my family.

Thailand is only for holidays and that's how they want it. Go there, spend all your money and go back home again.

12 MONTH extension based on marriage?????, show a pittiful sum of 400,000 baht a bob,s ye uncle

These constant visa rule changes are part of the reason I left Thailand with my family this year. I didn't feel comfortable planning to raise our two kids in Thailand knowing that at any point in the next 20 years immigration could suddenly invent a new rule which didn't include me and our life in Thailand would be over. As it happened I already didn't fit into any real visa status and ended up entering Thailand on Visa Exemptions and getting extensions based on having children there, many consider this abusing the system but there was no other option for me so I did what everyone always suggests and went back to my home country with my family.

Thailand is only for holidays and that's how they want it. Go there, spend all your money and go back home again.

12 MONTH extension based on marriage?????, show a pittiful sum of 400,000 baht a bob,s ye uncle

I wasn't married at the time.

Quoting Lampang2

The consulates/embassies are not running a visa shop for their own amusement.

Unclear how people can even think that.

They are all instruments to the Thai government and obey rules from above.

Not the purpose of an embassy or consulate to keep hotels and visa run companies happy.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the Thai consulates are totally autonomous, but the fees they collect from sales of visas are expected to offset the costs of running and staffing the consulate. It should also be noted that while the consulates are not autonomous they also seem to have a great deal of leeway in how they dispense the visas, such as some would supply 3 entry visas (Bali), some 2 entry, Savannakhet and Vientiane. Some will give multi-entry non O visas for marriage (Savannakhet without funds), some only singles. If there was just one 'rule' governing all the consulates with regards to providing visas, then all consulates would behave in exactly the same way, but they do not.

• Like 2