Big changes coming to tourist visa applications?

The ED Visa has long gone the way of pfft.

As so many of the students are actually dive masters, operators of dodgy businesses through Thai nominees, "English" teachers, musicians, yoga gurus, and all other manner of illegal foreign workers. Some of them I consider friends but justify the suspiscion which weighs heavily on all of us who exist legally and are constantly challenged to prove a negative. (That one does not work illegally in Thailand).

Sent from Hell via a series of tubes

Edited by arunsakda

Quoting Lampang2

The consulates/embassies are not running a visa shop for their own amusement.

Unclear how people can even think that.

They are all instruments to the Thai government and obey rules from above.

Not the purpose of an embassy or consulate to keep hotels and visa run companies happy.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the Thai consulates are totally autonomous, but the fees they collect from sales of visas are expected to offset the costs of running and staffing the consulate. It should also be noted that while the consulates are not autonomous they also seem to have a great deal of leeway in how they dispense the visas, such as some would supply 3 entry visas (Bali), some 2 entry, Savannakhet and Vientiane. Some will give multi-entry non O visas for marriage (Savannakhet without funds), some only singles. If there was just one 'rule' governing all the consulates with regards to providing visas, then all consulates would behave in exactly the same way, but they do not.

Prem-R I concur with your comments totally. When I appplied for a Non Imm B visa Perth gave only 6 month ones and Adelaide gave 12. I was told interpretation of the rules (after I got th visa).

I've never heard of having to show bank statements for a tourist visa before. Not in any country, anywhere.

Countries around the world are reducing the amount of red tape required to visit and make things easier for tourists whilst Thailand is doing the exact opposite.

I suspect this new visa is going to fail and backfire in a big and embarrassing way. Also if they stop issuing double and triple entry visas it will result in just one thing - less people will come and those who do come will stay for less time.

It's either a badly thought out and irrational idea or a deliberate attempt to reduce visitors. Then again, I'm reminded of something known as 'Hanlons Razor' so it's probably just plain idiocy.

The UK is one of those that make you show bank statements....wink.png
Sweden too.

Suffice to show account balance from your smartphone.

Don't know the amounts because I just overheard this conversation while at the embassy.

and Australia

I've never heard of having to show bank statements for a tourist visa before. Not in any country, anywhere.

Countries around the world are reducing the amount of red tape required to visit and make things easier for tourists whilst Thailand is doing the exact opposite.

I suspect this new visa is going to fail and backfire in a big and embarrassing way. Also if they stop issuing double and triple entry visas it will result in just one thing - less people will come and those who do come will stay for less time.

It's either a badly thought out and irrational idea or a deliberate attempt to reduce visitors. Then again, I'm reminded of something known as 'Hanlons Razor' so it's probably just plain idiocy.

Being from the UK I've never dealt with them.

I guess Thailand now regards itself as an equal to the European countries.

I don't know about you, but I have seen many business closing in Thailand. in tesco by example, lot of booths are empty. I have heard that many Thai are now very worry because they have no more customers.

some have tried to open restaurant and now are back at the night market.

I see less foreigners, it means less customers, and less jobs for thai.

Chinese don't spend a lot in Thailand rich Chinese go UK or Paris.

if I understand, only one entry visa will be given in Lao now . instead to cross the bridge after 90 days for second entry, we will have now to go to the embassy every 90 days to get a new tourist visa. multi entry visa not worth. normal 1 entry visa will take only one night in lao. the real pain is in your farangland, they will ask for a return ticket within 3 months.

you dont need any ticjets to show only reervations,

Either have I, but one time wanted to take the Mrs the UK with me on a business trip for 10 days ....and called the embassy to enquire...and although she would be the one was applying for the visa, they wanted to see my bank statements from Thailand....so you can imagine my response LOL

but politely pointed out i wasnt applying for the visa, i didnt need one....and 'er in doors stayed in Thailand LOL

Fortunately I'll be applying for a double entry TR at the beginning of November. The embassy here is issuing 2+3x TR until 12.11. From 13.11 onwards it's only the new METV. (Berlin)

That's where they lose me. For over a decade, on and off, usually in winter, (last time 5 weeks in May 2014) I've spent anywhere between 1 and 4 months based in LOS with trips out to other countries, using 2x + 3x TRs. It meant I didn't have to worry about border runs after 30 days, and could time the trips according to my own schedule. Only once did I extend a 60 day entry by 30 days.

Problem is my account never has €5000 in it, never mind 3 months in a row (they want to see your account statements from the 3 months previous to application). I have a damn good job, and get paid well above average. However I have always lived pretty much hand to mouth (on a reasonably high level) from a secure cash flow from work and have no savings. It's how I live, full stop.

My trip this year as usual is funded from cash flow - holiday pay, which isn't in my account yet. So in future (after 13.11) they won't give me a multi entry (hitherto 2x/3x) visa any more, because of a "lack of funds".

Guess what, I'll have to start entering on 30 day visa exempts, extend for 30, then do GOSH! - a border run. Whaddaya know. The law of unintended consequences - turning someone who always stuck to the rules into a visa waiver border runner who can brandish THB20k at Nong Khai or Aranya Prathet.

Was there not at least one brain cell in the Thai administration capable of coming up with a better solution to visa abuse than this?

I suspect that an awful lot of snowbirds won't have a steady 5k on their accounts either.

Surely you can show the money needed for a single entry TR? That will give you 3 months with an extension of stay. And one border hop would give another 60 days possible. Or it may still be possible to get a new TR locally to Thailand giving another 3 months.

I don't see that tourists like you will have too much problem.

Agreed, but as I mentioned earlier that is a load of hassle that was avoidable with 2x/3x TR. €30 each, done and dusted before I even arrived. Just what they wanted. Don't feel like border runs or visits to immi just to stay legal. I'm on holiday you know? Can live without that. Was able to. Now I probably can't. And then there's the proof of booking lark, which for a spontaneous type like me is absurd and could theoretically also rule me out.

At the very least as I said, a titanic pain in the butt just to go on holiday.

• Like 1

When I was getting TVs twice a year in UK, NEVER had to produce bank statements. I guess they really don't want farang tourists, just those nice Chinese ones.

When I was getting TVs twice a year in UK, NEVER had to produce bank statements. I guess they really don't want farang tourists, just those nice Chinese ones.

Whats a farang tourist in the UK context ?

Never once in my time in the UK did i ever hear of a tourist being referred to as a "farang" by the natives...

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I have seen many business closing in Thailand. in tesco by example, lot of booths are empty. I have heard that many Thai are now very worry because they have no more customers.

if I understand, only one entry visa will be given in Lao now . instead to cross the bridge after 90 days for second entry, we will have now to go to the embassy every 90 days to get a new tourist visa. multi entry visa not worth. normal 1 entry visa will take only one night in lao. the real pain is in your farangland, they will ask for a return ticket within 3 months.

- Chinese bring a lot of money to designated areas, tourists spots, on a 2 weeks holidays group tour,they wont do a stop over at Tesco.

- Beside tourism, the rest of the economy is not as sluggish as you might see. They have built Tescos and BiG C right left and center, the economy is is indeed growing, but not as fast as some would like, that's all.

- True there are indeed much less foreigners in Thai places, but Thailand is not worried about the ones going to Tesco (low budget) but rather the higher end, Villa Market types which are expanding.

They are just getting rid of the poorer ones, thats all.

I take it u do not live here ( a Chinese holiday is not 2 weeks)

Chinese pre pay everything before they leave China

they shop alot at Tesco/big C, box the purchases up and mail them home

the country is falling apart up north, people out of work, cant grow rice, factories closing everywhere an many returning to the village.

Car sales WAY down, shops closing everywhere

You're right, many Chinese spend much more than 2 weeks in Thailand.

Have you seen the number of Chinese driving their own Chinese plated vehicles into Thailand? It takes already 2 weeks to drive to Thailand from many parts of China, so these types of visitors often spend many weeks in Thailand as you can't drive down from Beijing only to spend 2 days. Nobody does that. Especially when they have to drive on the wrong side of the road (they have LHD), aren't familiar with the way, the language etc. and of course if they want to see anything at all. I'd say most Chinese who drive to Thailand (an ever increasing demographic even though Thais aren't permitted to do the same in China) will spend between 1-2 months driving around Thailand as their tourist visas allow them to.

The fly in fly out tourists might spend a week, maybe 2. Maybe only 3-4 days. Depends.

confirmed on these Embassy's sites, only in if ur a national of:

Norway

Italy

Germany

Finland

Cambodia $200

Singapore $180

Thats not what is important

what is is;

1. u need anywhere from 6,000 euro (Italy) to $8,000 ( Singapore/Cambodia) in ur bank an must show 6 months of bank statements

2. a JOB

3. confirmed hotel reservations

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Singaporean nationals or Long-Term Pass Holder of Singapore.

4. Evidence of adequate finance

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: $1000 per person and $2000 per family

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $8,000 per person (6 months of financial statements)

5. Letter of Employment (compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)

6. Evidence of accommodation booking (compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: S$50

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: S$250 $180 US

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matte...s/tourist-visa

Confirmed hotel reservations, for the entire trip??????????

If so, they are barking.

Who in their right mind is going to book hotels for the entire time before setting foot in LOS ( or should I say Land of smiles no more )? Besides, the hotels I stay at don't take internet bookings, only walk in.

A JOB????????

If you are going for a long time chances are you won't have a job. Retired people?

As usual, not thought through for the unintended consequences.

Good point.

I think while for many legitimate tourists, it may not be such a big deal to show proof of job, some money in the bank etc. but these requirements are going way overboard, especially the hotel booking. Not even developed, western countries require Thais to show a particular amount in the bank (although the more, the better) and they certainly don't require hotel bookings, although if a Thai arrives at say Sydney airport and looks like they are at the end of the road, they may be asked to show proof of a hotel booking or that they are staying with someone.

I agree that not many companies will give 6 months leave unless long service leave has been granted (this will apply only to a very tiny number of applicants mostly from western countries where there is even such an option).

Since there is no problem for a tourist to stay at any residence they wish in Thailand, surely accommodation at a private residence should be acceptable in lieu of a hotel booking. However, what will actually happen will only be known once the consulates and embassies start issuing this visa.

For most travellers, the numerous requirements to obtain this visa, which are more numerous than even getting a non-O or non-B, are too cumbersome to even bother with. So if you were intending on spending 6 months in Thailand on a tourist visa, the best option will be to get a single entry, extend that, do a visa run, get another one, extend that and voila, you have 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. Since the new visa will require a visa run anyway (it isn't clear if each 60-day stay can still be extended or not), it largely comes to the same thing.

For anyone wanting to visit say Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. in between Thailand visits (most likely if you are travelling overland) as long as you don't do a one day border run, you can just use visa exemptions.

Most travellers from countries like Japan and South Korea will never apply for this visa. For Japanese, they have no time to spend 6 months in Thailand as they get very little time off work. Retirees probably already have the right visa anyway. South Koreans get 90-days visa free hence they would be stupid to spend money on a visa when they can enter much more easily for free.

- Chinese bring a lot of money to designated areas, tourists spots, on a 2 weeks holidays group tour,they wont do a stop over at Tesco.

- Beside tourism, the rest of the economy is not as sluggish as you might see. They have built Tescos and BiG C right left and center, the economy is is indeed growing, but not as fast as some would like, that's all.

- True there are indeed much less foreigners in Thai places, but Thailand is not worried about the ones going to Tesco (low budget) but rather the higher end, Villa Market types which are expanding.

They are just getting rid of the poorer ones, thats all.

I take it u do not live here ( a Chinese holiday is not 2 weeks)

Chinese pre pay everything before they leave China

they shop alot at Tesco/big C, box the purchases up and mail them home

the country is falling apart up north, people out of work, cant grow rice, factories closing everywhere an many returning to the village.

Car sales WAY down, shops closing everywhere

Do you live up north?

I do not recognise what you say up there, where I live. Too many cars on the road now and more all the time. No evidence of lack of money, given the way there are so many people driving around. No one my wife knows can't get a job. No factories closing in my town, restaurants busy and bars/ clubs full of young people buying expensive booze, plenty of building going on, new Makros opening, Big C booming with people, new 7 11 near where I live full of customers, Central in C M full of shoppers and new malls opening.

Down in the village, plenty of rice being grown.

confirmed on these Embassy's sites, only in if ur a national of:

Norway

Italy

Germany

Finland

Cambodia $200

Singapore $180

Thats not what is important

what is is;

1. u need anywhere from 6,000 euro (Italy) to $8,000 ( Singapore/Cambodia) in ur bank an must show 6 months of bank statements

2. a JOB

3. confirmed hotel reservations

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Singaporean nationals or Long-Term Pass Holder of Singapore.

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $8,000 per person (6 months of financial statements)

6. Evidence of accommodation booking (compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: S$50

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: S$250 $180 US

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matte...s/tourist-visa

Confirmed hotel reservations, for the entire trip??????????

If so, they are barking.

Who in their right mind is going to book hotels for the entire time before setting foot in LOS ( or should I say Land of smiles no more )? Besides, the hotels I stay at don't take internet bookings, only walk in.

A JOB????????

If you are going for a long time chances are you won't have a job. Retired people?

As usual, not thought through for the unintended consequences.

Good point.

I think while for many legitimate tourists, it may not be such a big deal to show proof of job, some money in the bank etc. but these requirements are going way overboard, especially the hotel booking. Not even developed, western countries require Thais to show a particular amount in the bank (although the more, the better) and they certainly don't require hotel bookings, although if a Thai arrives at say Sydney airport and looks like they are at the end of the road, they may be asked to show proof of a hotel booking or that they are staying with someone.

I agree that not many companies will give 6 months leave unless long service leave has been granted (this will apply only to a very tiny number of applicants mostly from western countries where there is even such an option).

Since there is no problem for a tourist to stay at any residence they wish in Thailand, surely accommodation at a private residence should be acceptable in lieu of a hotel booking. However, what will actually happen will only be known once the consulates and embassies start issuing this visa.

For most travellers, the numerous requirements to obtain this visa, which are more numerous than even getting a non-O or non-B, are too cumbersome to even bother with. So if you were intending on spending 6 months in Thailand on a tourist visa, the best option will be to get a single entry, extend that, do a visa run, get another one, extend that and voila, you have 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. Since the new visa will require a visa run anyway (it isn't clear if each 60-day stay can still be extended or not), it largely comes to the same thing.

For anyone wanting to visit say Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. in between Thailand visits (most likely if you are travelling overland) as long as you don't do a one day border run, you can just use visa exemptions.

Most travellers from countries like Japan and South Korea will never apply for this visa. For Japanese, they have no time to spend 6 months in Thailand as they get very little time off work. Retirees probably already have the right visa anyway. South Koreans get 90-days visa free hence they would be stupid to spend money on a visa when they can enter much more easily for free.

I meant retired tourists, not retirees living in LOS.

I'd wager that it'll be an option between showing either proof of a job OR proof of X amount of funds, not both. Similar to how retirement extensions can be obtained by showing either 800k in the bank, or 40k per month coming in to your account. Plenty of people are self-employed with an online business so have no 'boss' (that 1900s paradigm) to type up a letter saying where they work (how archaic).

Plus I can't see consulates wanting to deal with that much paperwork, i.e. chasing up someone who has more than enough money in their bank account but didn't send in a piece of paper from their employer.

I'd wager that it'll be an option between showing either proof of a job OR proof of X amount of funds, not both. Similar to how retirement extensions can be obtained by showing either 800k in the bank, or 40k per month coming in to your account. Plenty of people are self-employed with an online business so have no 'boss' (that 1900s paradigm) to type up a letter saying where they work (how archaic).

Plus I can't see consulates wanting to deal with that much paperwork, i.e. chasing up someone who has more than enough money in their bank account but didn't send in a piece of paper from their employer.

for singapore

seems like to me all of the above not a choice

the ONLY one that is not a problem is the accommodations, as with Booking.com u can usually cancel 2 days before the stay with no charge

Edited by phuketrichard

it'll be time to go to vietnam or cambodia soon for many people.... even a place like the philippines is pretty easy to stay long term with a visa

How "Many" will be leaving ?

Is fear and panic spreading among those who survive in the shadows?

Instead of Vietnam, Cambodia, or Philippines these people could choose to return to their countries of origin where no visa would be needed.

I think you're missing the point as to why they would ask for details of the job/occupation. It's about demonstrating a reason to return to their home country. Because tourism is about travel and leisure during vacation from work.

Agree

Most genuine self employed people would have no problem in demonstrating that they had a "job"

Then there are the others!

for singapore

seems like to me all of the above not a choice

the ONLY one that is not a problem is the accommodations, as with Booking.com u can usually cancel 2 days before the stay with no charge

I've seen that thanks, but just having them in a numbered list doesn't really mean anything does it. On a Thai consulate website which we all know aren't particularly well designed.

I think you're missing the point as to why they would ask for details of the job/occupation. It's about demonstrating a reason to return to their home country. Because tourism is about travel and leisure during vacation from work.

How many jobs allow 6 month vacations?

Of course one could work in Macs for a week and use that to get the visa, then leave.

It's like the mandatory hotel bookings- there will just be a rise in hotel cancellations once visas are obtained.

This new diktat has not been thought through, and is not based in reality.

• Like 2

Of course one could work in Macs for a week and use that to get the visa, then leave.

It's like the mandatory hotel bookings- there will just be a rise in hotel cancellations once visas are obtained.

That is probably why they've done this. Not many people will be applying for the METV's because most tourists don't need it. A single entry gives 3 months with an extension which is more than enough time for the majority of genuine tourists vacation time.

That is probably why they've done this. Not many people will be applying for the METV's because most tourists don't need it. A single entry gives 3 months with an extension which is more than enough time for the majority of genuine tourists vacation time.

Not so. I took two years off work in the 90s and would happily have spent the entire time as a tourist in Thailand. Could have done it too, as got 90 days at the border as many times as I wanted.

Interestingly, Thailand didn't collapse into chaos because I could have stayed a long time without complying with ever more restrictive requirements, as is the case now.

As Burma opens up, along with Cambodia and Vietnam, I can see less people bothering to visit LOS because it is just too much hassle and the alternatives are so easy. Malaysia gives me 3 months or something like that at the border, but unfortunately I don't wish to stay there.

• Like 2

Not so. I took two years off work in the 90s and would happily have spent the entire time as a tourist in Thailand. Could have done it too, as got 90 days at the border as many times as I wanted.

Interestingly, Thailand didn't collapse into chaos because I could have stayed a long time without complying with ever more restrictive requirements, as is the case now.

As Burma opens up, along with Cambodia and Vietnam, I can see less people bothering to visit LOS because it is just too much hassle and the alternatives are so easy. Malaysia gives me 3 months or something like that at the border, but unfortunately I don't wish to stay there.

I said not many. Of course some can take a long time off but the majority of workers can't.

Genuine tourist will keep coming on single entry TR's, visa exempt entry and visa on arrival. Everyone I know lives in Thailand because it's Thailand so why does it matter what neighbouring countries do. I'm sure if they couldn't stay here none of the countries you mention would be an alternative. Those countries have the opposite problem to Thailand as they are miles behind in visitor numbers.

Yes, if I did not have personal interests here, I certainly would not be here till I was over 50. The last 8 years I have had here have been very nice and my partner and I travelled a lot during my visa runs and had a grand time. We were talking about relocating today for the next three years but my partners business is running too well.

Other Visa friendly countries like the Philippines and Cambodia will get a lot more business now but my partner said to me today that certain few people are getting very rich from the Chinese and it is 'to hell with the rest'. Over the last 3 years, we had quite a few Chinese flow through her business but now she will not accept them due to having too many problems with them not wanting to pay the agreed price after a service is rendered. After being charged 300 baht for a service and then have them tell you they will only pay you 170 baht, it was getting a little too much and after a while, it is not worth the bother.

Yes, the Government has come up with a sure fire way to beat off the long stayers now it seems but Visa friendly countries like Laos, if they follow the same course as Europe, are going to hurt as the visa runner is one of its main stays of income. Look, in my own thinking, it has needed to happen in some ways as I see on a daily basis many farang here, that are on there 3rd Leo beer by 7.30am (yes, I have a neighbour that is only 48 and on a pension doing this) and many others doing some pretty stupid things. Many of these guys are into drugs, selling steroids or just 'working the system' to get a dollar and they give us all a bad name. Its these guys I want to see out as well but doing a blanket ban is going to hurt others like myself that have a good income and do the right thing.

It sucks but well, we will all roll with it and find ways to just 'fit' in till we are 50.