Do working girls really support their families back home?

Gecko123

We have all heard these stories about women being pressured by their families to go work in red-light districts.

I live in a small rural village. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I have a pretty good handle on what's going on around town. Not only have I never heard the slightest hint or scuttlebutt that families pressure their daughters to do this, but I've also never seen much evidence that the immediate family even remotely financially benefits from their daughter's endeavors.

Example # 1:

32 y/o woman in town has been engaged to a man from a neighboring SE Asian country for the past 3 years. Over this period of time he has purchased a new Honda sedan, a new Honda motorcycle, 15 rai of land, enough money to build a nice house, and sends her 40K baht every month. Her closest relatives are her daughter from a prior marriage, her brother, her mother (her father is deceased), and her grandmother. None of these relatives, including her daughter, appear to have received much benefit from the largess she has received from her fiancé. The daughter who is cared for by her grandmother, goes to the local government school, and is dressed in nothing-special clothes. The mother's lifestyle doesn't appear to have changed in the least, and the grandmother, who is impoverished and in declining health, more or less subsists on next to nothing.

Example # 2:

Woman in her late 20's; works in a bar in Pattaya. Hires mother to weed garden by hand; pays her 200 baht a day. Mother is poorly dressed; lives in rusting galvanized tin shack.

I'm sure some working girls do help out their families, but my impression is that most of the money being sent back home is for child support for the woman's own children, and that the immediate family receives little to no financial support from the working girl.

What I want to know is, does anybody have hard examples of immediate families pressuring their daughters to go to work in red-light districts, or receiving financial support directly from their working girl daughters?

Either way, hoping to hear accounts which you can vouch for to be true.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not heard of any either. But in my wife's village one woman went away I believe it was Korea to work and sent her money home for her sister ti invest,for her so she would have wealth when she returned. Well the sister invested it in a land and house. When the girl came home the sister had everything in her own name and left the sister who went away to work with nothing not even a place to live.The girl now walking around the village like a vagrant and no one helps. the village men use her. This story is sad it shows me how even the family donot respect the girls that do sacrifice themselves.

I think the ones you are referring to are hill tribes.There they have people come to the tribe and get contracts from the families for the girls for 1 or 2 years. this goes within the human trafficing problem Thailand has.It is my understanding it is ran mostly by the stronger Karen tribes. these women also service just about 100% Thai clients and foreigners never see them. they are the ones that 20 years ago were chained to their beds at night.But things are changing I hope.

This used to be quite common in Japan 80-90 years ago. See the movie Nomugi Toge. The girls were worked to death in the silk factories under dreadful conditions. Agents went into the mountains and paid the very poor families to use the girls for three years on average. It's a heartbreaking movie.

Numerous cases in my village of men and girls working away who send money back here to their families. There are no doubt exceptions but most families here benefit to some degree from remittances sent home.

Thanks for the post.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking asking about cases where one spouse works out of town for a period of time and sends money back to care for his/her spouse and their children. I know that happens frequently, for example, doing construction in Bangkok during the off-season.

What I'm asking about are single/divorced women working away from the village and helping to support their parents, grandparents, sibblings or other relatives. Do you have any examples of this occuring? Have you heard of any cases where young women who have been pressured to work in the sex industry by their families?

Numerous cases in my village of men and girls working away who send money back here to their families. There are no doubt exceptions but most families here benefit to some degree from remittances sent home.

Thanks for the post.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking asking about cases where one spouse works out of town for a period of time and sends money back to care for his/her spouse and their children. I know that happens frequently, for example, doing construction in Bangkok during the off-season.

What I'm asking about are single/divorced women working away from the village and helping to support their parents, grandparents, sibblings or other relatives. Do you have any examples of this occuring? Have you heard of any cases where young women who have been pressured to work in the sex industry by their families?

Three girls from my wife's family have worked away and sent money home. (1) My sister in law, no kids works as a chef in a Phuket restaurant. She sends money to her mother (my mil). (2) My niece (1 kid) went to work in Pattaya sent money to her mother (my sil) for looking after her kid. Now married to a farang and living in Holland. (3) Another niece (1 kid) just recently returned from Malaysia where she was working as a masseuse sent money to mum for looking after her kid. Unmarried.

Next door neighbours daughter went to work on the game when she was probably underage, now married to a Frenchman The headman's daughter got pregnant and went away to work (not sure where) sends money home. The list goes on.

As to whether these girls are 'pressurised' or not is very difficult to say. There could be subtle pressures applied that people would not know about, and the girls themselves are hardly likely to say.

Thanks for the post.

The best assumption that you make in your post is "maybe I'm wrong.

Let us know when your book "The Lives of Thai Sex Workers" gets published. Always room for one more.

(Don't forget the "working" boys/ladyboys)

I have known a few. One gal had brought her mom to Pattaya and they lived together in a condo just off Pattaya Klang. She took me to meet the mom, with an obligatory food gift in tow. They were each quite proud of the girls breast augmentation that there was a topless photo of the girl on the shelf in the room. I swear they looked on them as investment, and a way to make money. I can understand that.

All the working girls claim they do, some do some don't.

Lived with 1 for a year,

She said, 'give me money to send home for my 14 year old daughter',

I said, 'when did you last send money back'

Her answer, 'three years ago'.

The next one I took up with appeared to send all her money home.

The family, mother, sister, brother just lived off her.

The one I married,

I send money home to her mother, 3k a month.

If the misses argues with me, mum supports me.

Mum is bought and paid for.

It's a little ironic that the folks on here who protestith the most against associating with bar girls are also the ones who show the most interest in discussing them.

You are a cyber bully.

This is the not the first time you have mischaracterized and taken my posts out of context.

There's absolutely nothing salacious or prurient in nature about my OP, and it's more about village life than bar life.

If you're not interested in discussing the topic raised in the thread, please do not feel obligated to comment further.

The best assumption that you make in your post is "maybe I'm wrong.

Let us know when your book "The Lives of Thai Sex Workers" gets published. Always room for one more.

(Don't forget the "working" boys/ladyboys)

I went back and read my OP.

Can't find a single "assumption" in my post.

If you don't have anything informative to add, don't feel any need to comment further on this thread.

According to the UN's International Labour Organization (ILO), sex workers in the major cities of Thailand send an estimated $300 million a year of their earnings back home to their families in rural areas. The amount of money that is sent back home to rural areas by the prostitutes is more money than any form of government development project.

(Sorry I do not have the citation at hand and don't want to waste time finding it.)

According to the UN's International Labour Organization (ILO), sex workers in the major cities of Thailand send an estimated $300 million a year of their earnings back home to their families in rural areas. The amount of money that is sent back home to rural areas by the prostitutes is more money than any form of government development project.

(Sorry I do not have the citation at hand and don't want to waste time finding it.)

This appears to be the report you referenced:

http://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/media-centre/press-releases/WCMS_007994/lang--en/index.htm

This same August, 1998 report estimated that the number of sex workers in Thailand ranged somewhere between a census count of 65,000 to unofficial estimates as high as 300,000.

If the $300,000,000 remittance figure is accurate, the average amount received per family is somewhere between $1,000 and $4,615 per year.

Using a 1998 exchange rate of 25 Bht/USD, this works out to somewhere between 25,000 Bht/yr (2,083 Bht/mo) and 115,375 Bht/yr (9614 Bht/month).

I know some do and some don't. Same as in the Philippines with overseas domestic workers. Though probably a larger percentage of domestic worker income is sent home. But that is only because the domestic workers by default should have no expenses aside from illegal agency fees they may need to pay back.

What would you do in a similar situation? Most of these girls are from extremely poor backgrounds and get the short end of the chopstick compared to their brothers, often too many siblings for the impoverished parents to support, typical 3rd world hole that they can't dig out of. No financial management knowledge. Easily duped into buying snake oil, local unoffical lotteries, barrowing at insane interest rates. The list goes on. Many of them are just going through life, pulling each other down to ever lower depths.

And just a few, seem to figure it out, and work their way out of the hole.

The one I married,

When guys say they know successful bargil marriages-above is what i think they mean. So sad!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one I married,

When guys say they know successful bargil marriages-above is what i think they mean. So sad!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my investigations i surmise many girls who do HARD jobs in red-light districts dont make enough money to send home..........................hahahahaha. I know its not funny-it is what it is. I equate them to those who go to Hollywood to be movie stars. Most fall short-way short.

is it a western thing to care about what other pepole do? YES* and that's so annyoing..

is it Our problem ? NO*

N.O.B (NOT OUR BUSINESS)

****for those who like to put their nose into what other pepole do should move to the west where this is very common*****

another reason why i left farangland...

is it a western thing to care about what other pepole do? YES* and that's so annyoing..

is it Our problem ? NO*

N.O.B (NOT OUR BUSINESS)

****for those who like to put their nose into what other pepole do should move to the west where this is very common*****

Thanks for stopping by to let us know you're annoyed.

It's a common, probably universal, human trait to be interested in other people and cultures, certainly not limited to Western societies.

Hope next time you have something more meaningful to contribute.

I want to know the nitty gritty. How are they groomed? @ a party are they locked in a room and guys go in to party privately?

And @ what age?

Does it start with massages? Mentors?

Discussing the specifics of prostitution is against forum rules. Please refrain from further posts such as the above.

OP: There is no "hard pressure" by the Family to send a female family member to seek "greener pastures" on behalf of the family. "Soft pressure" is being applied. Never mind, Farangs will never understand this Thai-Concept.

I travel a lot, because I have nothing else to do. Often times I end up in the "Isaan" and realize, that without "outside financial support", parts of the Isaan could not survive as an economic zone in itself anymore without outside financial help.

If the financial help originates from Pattaya by a family member, or by "direct-investment" by a Farang is not of relevance.

The "Axis" Bangkok all the way up to Chiang Mai presents itself as a completely different Thailand.

Cheers.

there are many more than 2 exemples to show for being objectif....

but in general/usually, regarding what i see that happens nowadays and what i guess that happened long time ago (10 ? 15 ? 20 years ago ? ) , LESS and LESS ! less and less simply maybe because less and less buddist and familly values in thailand , more and more drugs addicts , alcoholics...

however , i give an exemple (more common) : one girl working in bangkok , earning 7/8 thousands baths a month working everyday, having his boy 9 years old , yaille sick , a brother (40) lazy staying in the small village in issaan : guess howmuch she can afford to send back to her poor familly : me know : 2.000 b. a month ! okay she do it but can we really call that a support ?

P.S :

- no alcoholics in the family

- must also safe money for when she s back in the village , for the school expenses (new uniforms each years - very expensive - for exemple )

- no smart phone, no motorbike

- working (for a boss) prepare the food at night and sell it on the markets during the day

is it Our problem ? NO*

N.O.B (NOT OUR BUSINESS)

They should probably avoid internet forums as well - they are full of other peoples business.

I bet Farangland is missing you!

is it Our problem ? NO*

N.O.B (NOT OUR BUSINESS)

why the hell , are you thus putting your nose into this thread ????

Thanks for all the observations posted so far.

Hoping to keep this thread on-topic with more general observations and specific anecdotes about women who work away from their home village and support their families, especially parents/grandparents/siblings, etc.

And the answer would be..........it varies!

I have met quite a few (and befriended some) over the years due to the fact that I have/had many friends who have owned bars, and one in particular in which I used to spend a great deal of time in helping out, so I have some knowledge of the issue, and as I said, it varies!

Those particularly motivated to send money home are those who have left their young child/children behind with their families, who are currently taking care of them whilst the girl is out trying to earn some money. The amount obviously varies depending on the type and quantity of work they have been getting, whether it's from regular customers or just through being bought lady drinks.

A few of the girls come down for the extra money and get to like it, ensuring that they have the latest iPhones and gadgets etc, as well as some gold, before sending a little bit home for the family, and then there are others who will only send a bit of money home when seemingly their conscience gets the better of them.

There is a problem here and I have seen it in action – – many of the girls who are not earning enough money to be able to pay their rent and support their lifestyle actually borrow from the "loan sharks" in order to survive and perhaps send whatever they can back home, and this is a recipe for disaster because the interest rate charged by these despicable people soon ensures that the girls are horribly in debt.

As for girls being sent down to work in the bars by their mothers, well that is absolutely true and a particular bar I was helping out in had quite a few of these sent down from a village up North (the bar owners girlfriend came from this particular village) and he put his foot down when he found out that some of them were between the ages of 15 and 17.

Some of the girls who stayed eventually got into the swing of things and from being shy cute young things who would sit quietly in the corner of the bar, they became crotch grabbing vixens who would hunt down prey in the Soi..............the transformation in six months was sometimes remarkable.

Another lady I have known for about five years has managed to send enough money home to just about complete a lovely single-storey house near Udon Thani (she has shown me the photographs) and intends to earn enough to finish it and go back home and live in it, having built a couple of rooms on the back of it for her mother.

And finally, there are those girls who will pick and choose with whom they go and they are able to do so because they are particularly attractive, and usually as well they can command better rates, and some of that gets sent home.

As you can see, there is no one particular "situation" that fits all.

And the answer would be..........it varies!

I have met quite a few (and befriended some) over the years due to the fact that I have/had many friends who have owned bars, and one in particular in which I used to spend a great deal of time in helping out, so I have some knowledge of the issue, and as I said, it varies!

Those particularly motivated to send money home are those who have left their young child/children behind with their families, who are currently taking care of them whilst the girl is out trying to earn some money. The amount obviously varies depending on the type and quantity of work they have been getting, whether it's from regular customers or just through being bought lady drinks.

A few of the girls come down for the extra money and get to like it, ensuring that they have the latest iPhones and gadgets etc, as well as some gold, before sending a little bit home for the family, and then there are others who will only send a bit of money home when seemingly their conscience gets the better of them.

There is a problem here and I have seen it in action – – many of the girls who are not earning enough money to be able to pay their rent and support their lifestyle actually borrow from the "loan sharks" in order to survive and perhaps send whatever they can back home, and this is a recipe for disaster because the interest rate charged by these despicable people soon ensures that the girls are horribly in debt.

As for girls being sent down to work in the bars by their mothers, well that is absolutely true and a particular bar I was helping out in had quite a few of these sent down from a village up North (the bar owners girlfriend came from this particular village) and he put his foot down when he found out that some of them were between the ages of 15 and 17.

Some of the girls who stayed eventually got into the swing of things and from being shy cute young things who would sit quietly in the corner of the bar, they became crotch grabbing vixens who would hunt down prey in the Soi..............the transformation in six months was sometimes remarkable.

Another lady I have known for about five years has managed to send enough money home to just about complete a lovely single-storey house near Udon Thani (she has shown me the photographs) and intends to earn enough to finish it and go back home and live in it, having built a couple of rooms on the back of it for her mother.

And finally, there are those girls who will pick and choose with whom they go and they are able to do so because they are particularly attractive, and usually as well they can command better rates, and some of that gets sent home.

As you can see, there is no one particular "situation" that fits all.

Can you give a breakdown of how many actually make money? I surmmise 30% dont make s h i t.!

Just last night a new girl showed up- very pretty. She had guys interested in a minute while the regs get no action weeks at a time.

Archived