Typical starting salaries

Pockys

Op: I think language schools might be the best way to find work. They can get a visa and work permit without a degree

Language schools can't get a visa, nor a work permit. The OP will usually have to make a visa run to a neighboring country and apply for a Non-B.

Many language schools can't, or won't issue those documents for various reasons. John, you've only worked at one, but you act like you know the whole business up and down???

The best way to find work for the Op is to print put a few sets of his resume, then go from school to school in his preferable area and he'll find a teaching position working directly for a school. He can always ask other employees, or people in the hood about the school.

Do yourself a favor and look for a teaching position at a high school, teaching the little kiddies isn't suitable for everybody.

All the issues, such as sick leave, having the Thai SS, maybe an accommodation, paid, or not paid holidays, end of the contract and other important things can be easily sorted out before the OP's jumping into too cold water.

A full-time job at a language school is almost impossible unless you like to travel back and forth, might have many hours to kill, work mostly on weekends, etc..

Best of luck finding a suitable job. thumbsup.gif .

post-158336-0-82918500-1445673353_thumb.

I won't be signing again for less than 42.5-45000 or b2200 per hour.

It's not time, its core competence. How well you are liked and how well you are respected among Thai teachers, Ss and administration.

Stay well clear of agencies unless you are a zombie, fraud, etc...agencies love zombies.

You need game to get a decent wage as well as a willingness to pull stakes.

No way I'd start in BKK for less than 35 and up north, 32.5.

Tards at my school sans degree making way to much for way too little effort.

If you have no degree, I wouldn't pay you more than 20k, at that price schools can have an avg Pinoy teacher.

Good luck OP. I bow out. I have only been here 20 years but I know nothing.

Albert Einstein's quotation seems to be completely misunderstood by you.

You wrote with your own keyboard, using your own words that you've worked for an agent before. Why do you stick your head in the sand and give up now?

If you've been here for 20 years, then you should be aware that looking for a full-time job at a language school isn't really what somebody who's new to teaching in Thailand, wants.

Same goes for working for an agency, or an agent.

Would you use a "middleman", instead of going to the main dealer, when you want to purchase a car if it's 30 % cheaper at the main dealer?

Of course would you buy your car at the main dealer, because you don't have to pay money to a "middleman" and I assume, even after being 20 years in Thailand.

You'd go straight to the dealer and buy your car there, without paying a lot of money to the "middleman", in this case, an agent.

Would a heroine/cocaine addict go to somebody who's stretching it, when he knows the source, where he'd get it cheaper and uncut?

There's so much information available on the net, so why would you have to use the service of an agent first place?

I'm just wondering why you told the OP that looking for a position at a language school would be best for him/her.

I did some part-time work for a private language school many moons ago, but when I was asking for a document to add the position to my work permit, I've heard weird excuses like:

“WE don't have the needed money to show." WE don't have somebody with a Master’s degree and other nonsense.

They had more and more customers, then of course made very good money by paying us only 300 baht an hour while the parents paid around 600+ baht an hour.

Conversational English for kiddies in groups, one on one lessons for particular purposes, business English lessons for bankers, etc.….but they couldn’t even make an agreement with the DoL that we were legal. That was all we wanted. But it was too much. Was something like E +, or so.

So we then quit our jobs and left. That was also their end, but I doubt that they’ve learned a lesson. Insanity at its best, of course.

It was a well-known franchising company that sold their packages to Thais all over this beautiful country, but the language schools had to buy all and everything from them.

What's usually easy math, wasn't possible for the boss to understand. You can't spend more money than you've got as an income.

But then a new car for all family members, they tried hard to be somebody, but it onbly backfired.

But most of them are shut down by now. Language schools are there to make money while government schools (usually) just do their job?

Why didn't you write that working for a school directly, with a 12-month contract, SS with full coverage in case of sickness, (hopefully not having an accident), all holidays and school breaks, etc. paid for, plus the opportunity to work there for many years and become a part of the staff, would be the best possible solution for the OP?

One of the biggest problems might be that foreigners in general usually "socialize" over a beer, or two.

And then you can hear all sorts of gossip about foreigners who didn't make it on that day, which is quite the norm here.

Then you know that you're the topic of the day when you don't make it to the daily beer session.

That's why I finally stopped to go to any farang hangout places. I don't like the smell of baby shit and that's exactly what it is.

“Have you heard about it that Mr. /Mrs. Bla Bla Bla did Bla Bla Bla things?

No, thanks. I don’t need this stuff. But that’s what foreigners who’d just started at the same school in Thailand are usually talking about, especially after some alcohol. Pink elephants everywhere.

Now please get back on your feet and write something about your experience that makes you think that working for an agent/agency seems to be the best way when looking for a teaching opportunity.

Sorry, it was not my intention to write such a long post.

Now please get your head out of the sand and continue to write why using an agent seems to be the best decision for you?

. Thanks a lot in advance for your consideration.

Life’s really too short to be upset about somebody who’s got a different opinion. - wai2.gif

post-158336-0-52571500-1445693545_thumb.

It's not time, its core competence. How well you are liked and how well you are respected among Thai teachers, Ss and administration.

Stay well clear of agencies unless you are a zombie, fraud, etc...agencies love zombies.

If you have no degree, I wouldn't pay you more than 20k, at that price schools can have an avg Pinoy teacher.

Darts are making way to(o) much at your school? Okay, got it. You forgot a very important factor. The Pinoy never has a hangover, because they don't show up on that day to meet their ambassador, or help a cousin to find a job.

Calling everybody, who's got some say "Ajarn" helps a lot, especially when you're a good broomer. ( not talking about the exotic pearling Western Aussie Kimberly region now).

Just wondering how good you're with a broom? Please be honest. The world is watching you, not just facebook and the FBI...facepalm.gif

Mencken has a way with words, but he's usually fairly close or spot on. If you have a degree don't settle for less than 40k in Bangkok. If you have some experience or further credentials 50k plus. If you're without a college degree you put up with anything that you can get, and that's frequenly becoming those 10 month, 30k or less a month jobs. We can argue until we're blue in the face if having a degree or not makes you a better teacher, but truth is it will be significant impediment to getting a better paying job. Sorry.

The market is moving towards a cheaper model, anyone can see that as salaries have not moved for years (and in fact, may be going backwards). Granted, I've only been here about three years but I've seen enough to make me go home and teach next year. Daddy needs a pension and the ability to actually own a house.

B1850 per class hour. It's far too much for the contractor and too little for a person with a decent degree, but that's imo where the bottom line is to start.

Contractors, 33 to start and degreed wonders 36 for twenty hours.

Second year should be more if you work hard. If not, bail out. Add more if you are super involved in activities, EP or especially subjects. Larger responsibilities, etc... Sh/Could be up to 25-35% more easily.

People with degrees need to have some dignity and hold the line. The contractor monkeys can go screw.

Darts are making way to(o) much at your school? Okay, got it. You forgot a very important factor. The Pinoy never has a hangover, because they don't show up on that day to meet their ambassador, or help a cousin to find a job.

Calling everybody, who's got some say "Ajarn" helps a lot, especially when you're a good broomer. ( not talking about the exotic pearling Western Aussie Kimberly region now).

Just wondering how good you're with a broom? Please be honest. The world is watching you, not just facebook and the FBI...facepalm.gif

Not darts, 'tards.

I'm excellent with a broom if need be. No job is beneath me, just need to be compensated for it.

I would never drink at school nor have I ever come to school with a hangover. So???

But overall, I've essentially no idea what you've stated above.

It is in the work permit rules - foreigners from certain countries must be paid a certain minimal amount. If you look at ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557, Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand, there is, in sect. 2.1 a reference to a minimum salary table, which is in Annex A on pg 15 of the pdf. However, sect 2.1 is a general employee category. Teachers are covered under sections 2.6 (public) and 2.7 (private), so they are not covered, and, thus, can be paid as little as the directors can scam us for.

On a personal note, I've been here 2 years in the south. Starting salary everywhere is 30,000Bht/mo. I've heard from long timers that is was the same a decade ago, except 10 years ago it was a 1 year contract and included the mandatory 20 sick days and 10 business days of leave. Now, it's about a 10 1/2 month contract at the same rate, so the money has actually gone down, and our contracts only have 10 sick days of leave. (Because of the smog, everyone of us have been sick multiple times. Some of us are out of sick leave, and I worked sick for 5 weeks straight.) On top of that, since the contract is less than a year, it forces you to make an extra visa run, which costs us an extra 6 - 10,000 bht. I question the legality of all the contract changes, but, there's no use fighting it. All the directors know each other, and I know of a couple people who have been blacklisted already.

Ajahnski. If it is in the "work permit rules" why are you quoting something from immigration ?

If a minimum salary is as you claim then you should be easily able to quote or link something from the Labour Dept.... you know, the place that issues the work permit.

• 2 weeks later...

I get my Degree (Hons) in English Language and Linguistics with TESOL in July 2016, I will also be getting a CELTA. How much money should I ask for? or be paid. I don't have much teaching experience, but I should be worth more than someone who has a non English degree with a tefl.

No offense to people with non English Degrees.smile.png

I get my Degree (Hons) in English Language and Linguistics with TESOL in July 2016, I will also be getting a CELTA. How much money should I ask for? or be paid. I don't have much teaching experience, but I should be worth more than someone who has a non English degree with a tefl.

What you want and what you get are 3 different things.

Why would someone with a lot of paperwork and zero experience be worth more than someone with a lot of experience and zero paperwork ?

wow. all those book smarts and degrees and yet you are incapable of quoting a post correctly. Possibly due to a lack of experience I guess.

True, but it would be nice if people got off the outrage bus, and answed my original question.

It seems some people have got a chip on their shoulders, I studied English because it seemed sensible to have to teach eh, teach English.

• Kru, originally Kurru - Thai word of respect for lower grade Teachers of Elementary and Kindergarten. (c.f. Wai Kru day), Thailand.
  • Kru is the Thai for lower grades, as opposed to Ajarn - a teacher of High School and a University Lecturer.

Not true.

Khru is just the old word for teacher. Pretty much before Thailand had universities (and even secondary schools). It is somewhat honorific.

Khru does not mean specifically prathom teacher.

I teach hs but refer to myself, penh khru. Let others address you as ajarn, I prefer "Teacher Mencken" anyway.

wow. all those book smarts and degrees and yet you are incapable of quoting a post correctly. Possibly due to a lack of experience I guess.

True, but it would be nice if people got off the outrage bus, and answed my original question.

It seems some people have got a chip on their shoulders, I studied English because it seemed sensible to have to teach eh, teach English.

I did.

Guess I wasted my time. Duly noted.

I get my degree?? Then you go on to rave about all your worthless paper. Too lol.

Being paid well is up to you in large part.

Public schools pay 30-50k. Anything above 40 is rare, especially if it does not include a bonus for management.

The courses MIGHT make you a better teacher, it will certainly make you more employable but you won't necessarily make more money.

It appears you are not NES so you will be chasing your tail in this racket. You wasted some serious money on all those dubious bits of paper. You have four years or two waivers.

Non NES, with degrees at my school fear jumping bcz they are very unsure about a 3, 4th waiver.

Funny how much time and effort you've invested. There are South Africans and Germans with no degree making more than you will when you start. Good luck recouping that expense lol.

Money? Go to MENA.

I deal with several private schools. If you do not have a degree the starting salary is 30,000 baht. If you have a degree, it starts at 35,000 baht. There are some special programs, such as an International program, which start at 37,000. Also, teachers in the upper Mathyom level with specialized degrees (usually Math and Science) start at a slightly higher salary.

I attended a workshop last week which was about schools that are trying to set up English programs. The workshop conductors stated that the schools under their jurisdiction have a starting salary of 35,000 baht and an upper cap of 70,000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I get my degree?? Then you go on to rave about all your worthless paper. Too lol.

Being paid well is up to you in large part.

Public schools pay 30-50k. Anything above 40 is rare, especially if it does not include a bonus for management.

The courses MIGHT make you a better teacher, it will certainly make you more employable but you won't necessarily make more money.

It appears you are not NES so you will be chasing your tail in this racket. You wasted some serious money on all those dubious bits of paper. You have four years or two waivers.

Non NES, with degrees at my school fear jumping bcz they are very unsure about a 3, 4th waiver.

Funny how much time and effort you've invested. There are South Africans and Germans with no degree making more than you will when you start. Good luck recouping that expense lol.

Money? Go to MENA.

Lets see how worthless my papers are when I add a PGCE, (fully funded), and a Celta to the rest of my worthless papers along with two years home teaching experiance!

Archived