Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

Interesting that tourist visas will now be valid for a full 90 days. That saves the 1 mth extension fee of 1900 Baht (2 mth+1 mth). I presume a tourist visa costs about that 2000 Baht. I.e. for the 30 day visa runner/2 times tourist visa the costs just fell 3800 Baht compared to the 2+1 system.

Investment visa: glad that they will grand-father renewals.

Cheers!

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@SCRATT UA.

you are below 50 and have money, you get 10 year RESIDENCE VISA without hassle, money under table or however.

Mon 02 Oct 06, 5:33 p.m.

You have hit the nail on the head Lapamita! IF you have the money! It's a mighty big "if" for an enormous number of people. Looking back at the thousands of posts on this subject over the years, the only really substantive issue is money. Now, as in the past, if you have some money, you can get what you want, whether it is via retirement, marriage, investment, starting some kind of company (genuine or just on paper), or whatever the next loophole will be. Granted, your description of the Malaysia rules seem a lot more generous, however, if you have the 3 M baht that Malaysia requires, you are not going to have any problems finding a way to stay in Thailand if that is your preference. No one in their right mind would do monthly visa runs or other indignities if they could afford a more elegant solution.

Aloha,

Rex

Agree! Most of the whiners want to stay in LOS on the cheap! :o

Surely the only real criteria should be

1) you have a valid reason to live in thailand (marriage, gay partner, work etc)

and

2) that you have enough funds to be able to live there without any support (as if you would get any anyway!) the figures being quoted here would be enough to live in a hotel!!

The UK and US have enriched their countries by embracing immigration (yes they do really even though it seems difficult at times) Real integration is the key with immigrants playing a full role in social, academic, industrial and even political life

I would like to know why all the people living in thailand on a so called permanent basis do not become a citizen of Thailand and saves themselve the hazzle of forever obtaining vizas

Because they aren't eligible? Because they can't afford it? Because they don't want dual citizenship?

You don't just decide to become a Thai citizen and wander down to immigration one day and tell them so. Same thing for the PR, permanent resident visa. Many are simply not eligible. For example, my husband and I are here to retire, and will be getting our proper visas when the dust settles a bit. We will never have the years on an appropriate visa to apply for PR if, as I have read here, the retirement visa is ineligible. I would cheerfully pay Thai taxes if I thought it would help me get PR, but I have been told Thailand does not tax foreign pensions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost.

I don't know what Hague will do about it but what you say is bull. Tell me one other country that does not allow you to live in it if you are married to one of their nationals.

This is allowed in all of the Americas, North and South and in all of Europe. Asia may be differen, Africa too, I don't have som much experiene there, but "virtually every country in the world" is just bull, pure unadulterated!

Australia. Marrying an Australian doesn't mean automatic residence. The marriage is assessed for genuineness and the applicant needs to meet health and character requirements. A bad criminal record would make it very difficult to obtain a visa despite the marriage.

NOW YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF...WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO HAVE A CORPORATION IN THIS COUNTRY WHERE YOU CANNOT OWN IT LOCK STOCK AND BARREL; ARE SUBJECT TO THIS 49/51% RULE HERE, WHERE YOU CANNOT OWN A HOME AS AN INDIVIDUAL, WHERE THERE IS NO RULE OF LAW, WHERE YOU SUBJECT TO THE WHIMS OR MERCURIAL NATURE OF THIS GOVERNMENT, AND NO MATTER IF YOU STAYED HERE IN THAILAND 1000 YEARS (ASSUMING YOU COULD LIVE THAT LONG OF COURSE), COULD NEVER BECOME A CITIZEN OF THAILAND; and of course who would want to. THESE PEOPLE CAN GO TO THE WEST and have the OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME A CITIZEN, TO OWN RAW LAND, IMPROVED REAL ESTATE, OPEN UP A BANK ACCOUNT IN THEIR NAME, FORM A CORPORATION IN THEIR NAME AND EVEN GET ON WELL-FARE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF MONIES IN TERMS OF A TOTAL DOLLAR AMOUNT THE WESTERN COUNTRIES GIVE THIS COUNTRY OF THAILAND, BUT WHATEVER IT IS, ITS TOO MUCH. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY WANT ALL OF US OUT. COME TO THINK OF IT, THINGS AIN'T SO BAD BACK HOME IN THE U.S.A. THAT I WOULD WANT TO TRADE MY RIGHTS AND PRIVLEDGES BACK HOME FOR NO RIGHTS AND NO PRIVLEGES HERE.

It all seems way too complicated, me married to a thai, with 1/2 thai son, will, in 5-10 years want to go and build a house and live in, now no problems for the mrs and son but what about me, i want to set up a small business or 3 on the wifes behalf for her family or try and set ip a mail order business run via friends family in the uk. and live off that nothing big just enough to get buy, now only being 32 say 40 at the time it happens what are my best options regards to visas?

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

For those that are genuine there will be no problem. For those that are scamming expect to get caught out.

It's the same the world over.

Get a lawyer. Do the paperwork. Pay the fees, and everything will be fine.

Sit and whinge and moan and criticize and you can always expect your worst nightmares to come true.

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

It's not the same the world over. Canada and the US are different.

Surely the only real criteria should be

1) you have a valid reason to live in thailand (marriage, gay partner, work etc)

and

2) that you have enough funds to be able to live there without any support (as if you would get any anyway!) the figures being quoted here would be enough to live in a hotel!!

The UK and US have enriched their countries by embracing immigration (yes they do really even though it seems difficult at times) Real integration is the key with immigrants playing a full role in social, academic, industrial and even political life

WELL YOU HIT THE NAIL SQUARELY ON THE HEAD....THE U.K., U.S.A. AUSTRALIA, CANADA AND MOST OF THE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES DO IN FACT EMBRACE IMMIGRATION, AND THAT IS WHAT MAKES AND HAS MADE THEM STRONG ECONOMICALLY WITHOUT QUESTION. THE THAIS WON'T DO THAT AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE AND WILL REMAIN A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY. MANY OF THE THAIS WHO LIVE IN THE U.S.A AND WHO ARE NOW AMERICAN CITIZENS (SOMETHING WE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO OBTAIN IN THIS COUNTRY), DON'T WANT TO COME BACK TO THAILAND. WHY?

BECAUSE AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN OUTSIDE THIS COUNTRY OF THAILAND, THEY BEGIN TO REALIZE HOW SCREWED UP IT IS.

I'm beginning to feel that it's not really worth the effort to stay in Thailand.

Recently I've been thinking about the reasons for being in Bangkok and I can't really come up with a unique selling point!

. . .

Tired of reporting every 3 months to say that I'm still with my wife and kids. Tired of signing all rights away.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, but now that I just spent a bundle of cash to set up an IT consultancy company over here, it seems I might find it difficult to get a work permit to work there! I wasn't planning on any more assignments in Thailand anyway, but I need the WP and salary so I can continue to live with my wife and kids in our house (in her name).

Perhaps I'll chage my mind, but right now, I'm thinking the whole family is going to be moving, next time I get a contract outside Thailand.

A few weeks ago, someone (I can't remember who) wrote in this forum something along the following lines: "The big question is "What's Next".

Since the early part of September, there has been a maze of new laws, old laws that will be enforced, clarifications, re-clarifications, interpretations, re-interpretations, confirmations, meetings, etc. And all of this seemed to have some urgent need to be in effect by 1 Oct 06.

Like you, I am becoming increasing frustrated and concerned and am seriously considering putting the condo up for sale and relocating. My wife is relocating this week, and I may follow in the next few months.

Excitement might be fun in Los Vegas, but gambling with uncertain visa laws is not fun. To repeat the wisdom of the earlier poster "What's Next".

Back OT.

800,000 in a thai bank 3 months Prior !!!!!!!

Is this a journo's screwup?

How does a retiree open a thai bank a/c from outside thailand!

I'm ok with 2 a/cs as I've lived in Thailand.

Why are they shooting themselves in the foot, yet again? :o

I'm beginning to feel that it's not really worth the effort to stay in Thailand.

Recently I've been thinking about the reasons for being in Bangkok and I can't really come up with a unique selling point!

. . .

Tired of reporting every 3 months to say that I'm still with my wife and kids. Tired of signing all rights away.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, but now that I just spent a bundle of cash to set up an IT consultancy company over here, it seems I might find it difficult to get a work permit to work there! I wasn't planning on any more assignments in Thailand anyway, but I need the WP and salary so I can continue to live with my wife and kids in our house (in her name).

Perhaps I'll chage my mind, but right now, I'm thinking the whole family is going to be moving, next time I get a contract outside Thailand.

A few weeks ago, someone (I can't remember who) wrote in this forum something along the following lines: "The big question is "What's Next".

Since the early part of September, there has been a maze of new laws, old laws that will be enforced, clarifications, re-clarifications, interpretations, re-interpretations, confirmations, meetings, etc. And all of this seemed to have some urgent need to be in effect by 1 Oct 06.

Like you, I am becoming increasing frustrated and concerned and am seriously considering putting the condo up for sale and relocating. My wife is relocating this week, and I may follow in the next few months.

Excitement might be fun in Los Vegas, but gambling with uncertain visa laws is not fun. To repeat the wisdom of the earlier poster "What's Next".

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing. I remember ppl saying everything would be OK, just get a double entry tourist visa in Penang. I've got a WP and employ 6 Thais, but I'm now getting very nervous about renewal - What's next?

It all seems way too complicated, me married to a thai, with 1/2 thai son, will, in 5-10 years want to go and build a house and live in, now no problems for the mrs and son but what about me, i want to set up a small business or 3 on the wifes behalf for her family or try and set ip a mail order business run via friends family in the uk. and live off that nothing big just enough to get buy, now only being 32 say 40 at the time it happens what are my best options regards to visas?

Goodness knows. I'm somewhat in the same situation. I've been with a Thai girl for nearly 2 years now and am currently saving to move from Australia to Thailand (North East). Last time I was there I helped her set up a business (going very well too !) and I have another 3 that I want to start when I get there. I love Thailand - the place, culture, food and of course my fiance. Her family and friends are truly wonderful and I feel completely welcome and the happiest I've ever been when I'm there. We're to be married there, but good grief it all seems a lot of hassle for me to come, marry, live and work with all the visa requirements etc. I'm not even sure how long I could stay with her in Thailand after we're married. I mean, do I have to leave the country for a period of time after 12 months? Yes it's harder to get in to Australia now - probably like many countries - but you can do it with the right checks done and even get citizenship after a qualifying period (I'm English, but now hold Australian citizenship and passport). I may suggest she comes here instead, but I've met Thai (and Malay, Filipinas etc) girls who now live in other countries and they really seem to lose their "Thai-ness" and take on a lot of the ways of the country they live in. If I wanted a western girl I'd get one. It would be like taking a Bird of Paradise out of the jungle and sticking it in a zoo. Hence I'd prefer to go there, contribute positively to the Thai economy, have a family, set up more businesses and be happy!

I don't know what Hague will do about it but what you say is bull. Tell me one other country that does not allow you to live in it if you are married to one of their nationals.

This is allowed in all of the Americas, North and South and in all of Europe. Asia may be differen, Africa too, I don't have som much experiene there, but "virtually every country in the world" is just bull, pure unadulterated!

You are wrong !

In Denmark there is absolutely no automatic right to live with your spouse.

Be careful about throwing all that "bull" around, the smell might just hang on to yourself. :o

I would like to know why all the people living in thailand on a so called permanent basis do not become a citizen of Thailand and saves themselve the hazzle of forever obtaining vizas

Because they aren't eligible? Because they can't afford it? Because they don't want dual citizenship?

You don't just decide to become a Thai citizen and wander down to immigration one day and tell them so. Same thing for the PR, permanent resident visa. Many are simply not eligible. For example, my husband and I are here to retire, and will be getting our proper visas when the dust settles a bit. We will never have the years on an appropriate visa to apply for PR if, as I have read here, the retirement visa is ineligible. I would cheerfully pay Thai taxes if I thought it would help me get PR, but I have been told Thailand does not tax foreign pensions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

ANSWER: WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO BECOME A CITIZEN HERE. LOOK AROUND YOU. WHAT KINDS OF BENEFITS ARE THE THAI CITIZENS RECEIVING....ANSWER: ZERO! and IF THAT WERE NOT THE CASE, TAKE A LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF THAI PEOPLE AT YOUR OWN EMBASSY WAITING TO HAVE AN INTERVIEW TRYING TO GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY

If you want to hang out in pool bars with lots of willing women who don't speak much english, then Bangkok is great. It gets boring after a while (several years ago!)

Well it's amazing how exciting it gets once again when you don't have the option for a couple of months. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

abdulrahman cleverly replies to rexall: Agree! Most of the whiners want to stay in LOS on the cheap! :o

Mon 02 Oct 06, 6:36 p.m.

Sorry Abdulrahman, I can't tell if your response is tongue-in-cheek or not. If I miss that, sorry, but I don't think you take my point. First of all, I hate that expression "whiners" as it dismisses people who have grievances as inadequate, and mocks the effort to raise important issues for public discussion and debate.

Aside from that, last time I checked, it was not against the law to be poor in any country in the world, even in Thailand! It's one thing to say, "You're poor. You can't have a Mercedes. Stop your whining!" But that's not what we are talking about. The way immigration restrictions are constructed, it denies poor people basic freedom of movement and the possibility to settle, to marry, to pursue a livelihood.

Sure you can say that it is the right of a country to control it's borders and to restrict immigration. Fine. But you can also say that according to modern, international standards of human rights, it is is an error to enforce laws which are implicitly or explicitly prejudiced against the poor or other social classes.

There has got to be a better way!

Aloha,

Rex

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY WANT ALL OF US OUT. COME TO THINK OF IT, THINGS AIN'T SO BAD BACK HOME IN THE U.S.A. THAT I WOULD WANT TO TRADE MY RIGHTS AND PRIVLEDGES BACK HOME FOR NO RIGHTS AND NO PRIVLEGES HERE.

I've been thinking about this lately. I'm Australian but have lived in the Philippines for 3 years and 1 year in Thailand.

What are the real advantages, apart from it being cheap, of living in Thailand once the novelty of the girls wears off (when you finally realize they are just after your money) and you become exhausted by the unrelenting heat.

Comparing Thailand with USA and Australia:

There are better beaches back at home.

It's cleaner back at home.

They speak English.

The food is better with more choices.

The infrastructure is more reliable and better: Electricity, Internet, Cable TV.

Better cinema (I'm comparing with Pattaya, where I can watch only 1, or if lucky 2 new English movies per week).

I even believe they're friendlier back at home (Australia). I know they call this the LOS, but from my experience, that's nonsense. Even the Philippines is MUCH friendlier and welcoming. I can stay for a year without leaving. That requires 6 x 30 minute visits to the local Immigration Office and under 9000 baht for the year.

Speaking for myself, the only advantage of living in Thailand (over Australia) is the price.

Have I be living in Asia too long? What have I missed?

When they start making it difficult to stay I really start thinking of getting back home, or at least moving back to the Philippines. I've even been considering Malaysia as an alternative.

Actually - there are some very successful and very wealthy ex-pats who have become Thai citizens.

2 examples: William (Bill) Heinike (check spelling) and the guy who owns the franchise for Johnnie Walker imports and a few other foreign drink brandnames.

Both are self made multi-millionaires - yes, very much the exception, but no the point - they are now Thai citizens - and if you want a few more examples, there are quite a few more - both super rich and just averagely rich, or middle income - and even downright poor, like some of the long serving Catholic priests and other religous.

But Navajo's point is valid - what are the advantages to Thai citizenship - very few, unles in are in a position like the above mentioned 2 guys who run large national businesses and have the eqivilant of millions & milllions of dollars tied up in the Thai economy.

There are otherwise none, and to adopt Thai citizenship simply to save on Visa runs is firstly, not required because you can become a Permanent Resident, and seocndly, is the wrong motive (in my opinion).

Hi

Everybody keeps refering to the Baht 800,000 deposit however if you are married to a Thai spouse it is in fact Baht 400,000 as per OP.

IMHO I think that the majority of farangs who are genuinely committed to Thailand fall into this category.

See extract...

The so called married man’s visa.

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

So in fact reduction in deposit. Apologies if this has been covered already but I have lost the will to read all the postings :o

TBWG :D

I am not married anymore so have no thai wife. I do have a my half thai daughter in school here and I live here so... I can apply for the extension based supporting a thai national on that as well but it is ONLY done in Bangkok ( as is the marriage one).

I have been here for over 22 years. part of the time on a work permit, part on marriage visa, part on tourists visas, now for 6 years on a retirement extension. You call that committed or ....

Hi Phuketrichard

I would certainly call you ultra committed, however unfortunatley no legislation can cover every scenario and this is where local decision making on individual circumstances should come into effect, however, we all know this is not a Thai strong point.

I do sympathise and wish you all the best.

TBWG :D

THERE ARE A LOT OF COUNTRYS OFFER MORE

MORE SECURITY,MORE CLEANBEACHES,STREETS WHO ARE SAVE !!! AND AND AND

BUT FACT IS

1. THAIPEOPLE ARE VERY FRIENDLY

2. LIVING COSTS ARE CHEAP, 2000 Us $ GIVE YOU AN EASY LIVE, WHAT IN EUROPE OR US COST YOU 6000

3. CROUDED STREETS INSTEAD OF DEADSTREETS

4. THE LOVELY GIRLS AND NIGHTLIFE

5. GOOD INFRASTRUCTURE OF FOREIGN SHOPS AND FOOD ( MADE by illeagal worker and people investing in buissenes under very unfriendly conditions from goverment and competition)

or you think somebody want to saty longtime here and only eat somtam and fired rice

no we stay BEAUSE OF THE GOOD INFRASTRUCTURE BUILD UP BY MANY FOREIGGNERS FOR FOREIGNERS.........................................

I work in china on a month on,month off deal and only bother coming in on the 30 day visa because they're shipping me back to work after 28 days, perfect setup, company pays for my visa run. What worries me is this 90 day out of 180 limit. Sometimes I have an extended break at home due to a shutdown or something. I've done the visa run in the past at my own expense but will they let me back in if for that 180 day period my 30 visa will take me to 95 days? Very confusing!!!! Would go live in china if i didn't think it was a crap-hole!!! But BKK? hhmmmmm....... Anyone in a similar position or someone who knows the answer please help!!

As previously announced, it will no longer be possible to “live” in Thailand simply by travelling to the border of a neighbouring country and receiving indefinitely the 30 day visa on arrival.

Somewhat misleading. You cannot "live" in Thailand using tourist visas. Anyone who tries to accomplish this feat is likely to end up a very unhappy Farang.

Enormous shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Most farangs will be affected

What began as a restriction on the number of 30 day visas on arrival has turned out to be a major reshuffling of immigration regulations, most of which were framed as far back as 1979. The new rules apply to short term and long term tourists and farang residents and cover yearly extensions of various types, investment visas and even work permits.

The so called retirement visa.

This allows foreigners aged 50 and over to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. It requires either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or a combination of cash in the bank and proof of pension paid in the home country. A letter from the respective embassy is required for proof of pension. From now on, the immigration officer will need to see proof that the 800,000 baht has been there for three months prior to the visa being issued. This is to stop the practice of moving money into a bank account, and promptly out again, once the visa is granted

-- Pattaya Today 2006-10-02

The above highlighted text suggests to me that the credence of this article by Pattaya Today ranks alongside the ‘knowledgeable’ barroom expert on all things Thai.

They appear to be blissfully unaware that they are referring to a Tourist Visa Exemption, not 30 day visas on arrival

To compound their unenviable lack of knowledge on the subject, they infer that there is a requirement to have 800,000 Baht in the bank prior to a visa being issued. That is not the case (excepting the equivalent in the home country bank account of the applicant for a Non-Immigrant ‘O-A’ visa) as the 800k only comes into play when you apply for a twelve month extension once you already have the visa.

That said, there may well of course be some truth in their sensationalistic screed, but I really do doubt that Retirees extending their Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visas for the umpteenth time will be told that they are no longer eligible because they have not maintained a balance in excess of 800,000 Baht three months prior to their annual renewal.

Of course, it might well be the case for first time applicants, as that a least would make some sort of sense.

It will be interesting to read firsthand accounts of actual experiences over the coming weeks… :o

On the subject of Retirement Visa:

Can we just confirm that a letter of Guarantee for the pension from the Embassey and the fact that it meets or is above the 65000 bht criteria will suffice ie money not needed in Thai Bank Account as mine is paid into a UK bank and I draw as I need it ?

Secondly each year I get a new letter of guarantee from the British Consulate even though my Pension is index linked and the Gross is different each year.

Why is original letter of guarantee not excepted each year

macb

Edited by macb

Well, most if not all of the newer, fancier condos fall in one of the following three groups:

Some were finished before April 2004, therefore allowing 100% foreign ownership.

Some are owned by 49% foreigners and 51% "Thai companies"

Some are owned by rich Thais as a means of speculation as well as rental purposes.

I know quite a few Condo buildings in Pattaya, but hardly see any Thai family or Single living there!

Sunny

Nothing happened in April of 2004?????????

There are no condos associations that are 100% foreign owned, you are misinformed, foreigners can not own property, with the exception of BOI sponsored companies.

To everyone else here that thinks you can't own a 100% of a company as a foreigner, you people are all misinformed also, Americans can own 100% of a company in Thailand, and I know dozens of them that do.

I was going to buy a condo 6 months ago, I am so glad I didn't. The mid range to high end condo business is going in the gutter if this crap continues.

The low to mid range Bangkok condos should be ok.

Someone made the point that visa runners don’t usually own condos anyways, so it won't make much of a difference to the market. What they failed to point out is that they do rent condos, and if there are less renters, then that means the Thai owners that speculated on those condos for rental purposes will be forced to sell. This will especially hold true in Thailand where it is well know that even the super wealthy Thais over leverage themselves all the time. Look at '97 even the guys that were running the major banks made stupid investments and over leveraged their banks.

If I owned a condo or house now that wasn't in Bangkok I would be looking to unload it now, even if I had to take a 15% loss.

Seems there are some other changes other than visa runners, I usually get a non-immigrate B multiple entry visa every year, and I don't bother to extend it, as I leave the country more than once every 3 months. Now it seems as though they aren't going to issue anymore multiple entry class B's. This is kinda lame, now I am going to have to extend it, and pay a stupid re-entry fee fee every time I need to leave.

These new rules are third world thinking.

Clean it up Thailand, just because you can sell enough rice to pay some foreign firms to build you a new airport and subway system doesn't mean you are any closer to being first world country, if your thinking is the same.

Edited by cutter007

For those that are genuine there will be no problem. For those that are scamming expect to get caught out.

It's the same the world over.

Get a lawyer. Do the paperwork. Pay the fees, and everything will be fine.

Sit and whinge and moan and criticize and you can always expect your worst nightmares to come true.

I am genuinely married and have been for five and half years. The point here is that the Thai system, has no form of redress for mistakes, moreover after being married for a certain period of time, one should not have to be reliant on annual renewals, but be given some form of permanent residency, providing all the paper work and the circumstances are kosher! But that is not the case, I know someone who has been married here for 27 years and still has to go through the ridiculous process of annual renewal. If his wife had gone to the UK with him, should could have been a prominient local politician or even an MP by now! But here your just a foreigner!

If his wife had gone to the UK with him, should could have been a prominient local politician or even an MP by now! But here your just a foreigner![/color][/size][/font][/i]

Excuse me but shouldn't this be in the (CLOSED) political thread?????

I went to my local Visa shop last week, and he showed me a copy of a double-entry tourist visa, which one of his customers obtained from Phnom Penh (Cambodia) 2 weeks earlier. He has assured me that I will be able to obtain a double entry tourist Visa from there?

Has anyone else got any info on this? I dont want to get all the way there and then be turned away with just a 90 day tourist visa as id rather go to Penang if thats the case..