Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

I brought only my treasured books.. Just the real favourites, rereadable ones and collectors bits.. Then bloody termites or worms eat the lot !!!

Sell the comp.. Can be rebought.. Keep perhaps the audio if its something you really get pleasure from.. I shipped my stuff around for this reason.. Expect to change or downsize your hobbies, consider going digital with the photography ??

I also got collared on import even though it wasnt due.. Expect to get bent over.. Nice welcome to the Thai system.

Being attached to too many things isnt good for you.. If you dont think you can handle to part with them in search of a new existence consider your motives.. Although far younger I have ended up leaving everything behind bar a suitcase on a few occasions.. Its actually very cathartic and liberating. You accumulate more stuff later but its freeing to actually let go of it all.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The TV will not be of much use without conversion (which may not be an option) as the PAL system is used here rather than NTSC. If printer uses ac motors there could also be a frequency issue as 50Hz is used here rather than 60Hz in USA (which could mean slower motors/clocks). Can your turntables work on 50Hz? The AC voltage is 230v so you will have to use transforms for all electric items. As this is a very humid climate the shelf life of books is not great. Very few places will have central air conditioning so you may have to keep one running just to take care of books and slides - or at least a dehumidifier.

Everything you bring will be subject to customs duty.

The TV is too old and heavy to bother shipping. The second hand value is so little it's a write off. I'm in Australia, not the US. The voltage is the same as Thailand, 220-250 volts at 50Hz. (Similar PAL system too). Humidity is not a problem. I've lived in Darwin on the north coast of Australia for a number of years. That place is about as hot and humid as you can get.

I don't understand why second hand personal possessions should be subject to customs duty. If an item is fairly new and expensive and attracts a luxury tax, like a motor vehicle, then maybe. Computers, cameras and electronic goods in general seem to be cheaper than they are in Australia. There's no reason for Thailand to tax such items coming from Australia, except sheer bloodymindedness.

Sorry for some reason though you were from US but believe it must have been someone else who also had a large amount of items. In defense can only cite the circuit conditions which seem to go from good to impossible with no warnings today.

I also got collared on import even though it wasnt due.. Expect to get bent over.. Nice welcome to the Thai system.

Being attached to too many things isnt good for you.. If you dont think you can handle to part with them in search of a new existence consider your motives.. Although far younger I have ended up leaving everything behind bar a suitcase on a few occasions.. Its actually very cathartic and liberating. You accumulate more stuff later but its freeing to actually let go of it all.

You say you got collared on import even though it wasn't due? I can see that's something I'm going to have to look into.

I agree that being attached to too many things isn't good for you. That's just materialism. However, I don't see why I should have to give up or scale down my hobbies. What sort of a retirement is that! I've got equipment which I use, such as computers, scanners and printers, because photography is my hobby. I'm not in love with such equipment. My only concern is doing the most economical thing. I didn't get where I am, being able to afford a luxurious retirement in Thailand, by mindlessly throwing money away :o . (Although my ex-wife might disagree with that :D )

I have a question and hope some can answer. Working in the oil and gas sector I regularly use Thailand as a holiday destination and was wondering how these new regs will affect the regular tourist. ie I normally visit Thailand every 4 t 6 weeks depending on my rotation. If one can only do 3 entry visas in 180 days does this mean I could be turned away from the immigration at Suvarniphum or is it only with respect to consecutive entry visas

Be prepared that you might have to pay some duty and tax, unless coming on a B-visa with already etented permission to stay for one year.

Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for tax and duty free household -items.

You might have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Everything else is negotiating and/or pay.

I have a question and hope some can answer. Working in the oil and gas sector I regularly use Thailand as a holiday destination and was wondering how these new regs will affect the regular tourist. ie I normally visit Thailand every 4 t 6 weeks depending on my rotation. If one can only do 3 entry visas in 180 days does this mean I could be turned away from the immigration at Suvarniphum or is it only with respect to consecutive entry visas

There is no 3 entry limit for non visa entry and none at all for visa entry. Nothing will change for you. The limit is 90 days stay in any six month period when using the 30 day entry method - if you stayed on three of them back-to-back you could not do again for 90 days (although you could enter with a visa). But short entries will not be a problem.

There is no 3 entry limit for non visa entry and none at all for visa entry. Nothing will change for you. The limit is 90 days stay in any six month period when using the 30 day entry method - if you stayed on three of them back-to-back you could not do again for 90 days (although you could enter with a visa). But short entries will not be a problem.

Incredibly, even after having over 3 months to think about it, some of the visa run operations that I've visited in Pattaya still don't understand that. Even when you attempt to explain it to them, they don't get it.

My current computer is a 64 bit dual core system with 8GB of RAM and 600GB of hard drive storage. My hi fi system is very high quality but 20 years old. I have hundreds of old fashioned LPs which I think might eventually become quite valuable, not to mention hundreds of books, many unread and thousands of slides and negatives, some going back to the days my father was a school boy. My printer cost me around $5,000 and weighs a ton and my upright piano even more. My 36" TV is obsolete but still going strong and providing me with an excellent picture.

All this stuff has little resale value but is still serving me fine. Some items are irreplaceable. Other items I would suffer a big loss on the sale of, and whilst replacement in Thailand would result in an upgrade, it would be a major additional cost.

Trying to get a good price for such items would take time and would be troublesome.

Too easy you say! :o

If the stuff means that much to you, stick it in a little container and sea freight it to Thailand. You wouldn't have to pay duty on old personal items.

The other alternative is just sell the stuff for the best possible price and buy again in Thailand. You'll save a lot of money living in Thailand anyway, which will compensate for your costs in no time.

IMO you're far too attached to stuff. A piano? Big deal, sell it.

I've got stuff in 3 countries, and when it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

You're old computers and printer that weigh a ton can be replaced by new light weight technology.

Now will someone just tell me once and for all?

Simple ABC.mariied man with Thai wife. Coming from USA.

Now wants to make Thailand home.

What exactly must be done?

Come on guys, make it simple.

Thank you so much in advance.

My current computer is a 64 bit dual core system with 8GB of RAM and 600GB of hard drive storage. My hi fi system is very high quality but 20 years old. I have hundreds of old fashioned LPs which I think might eventually become quite valuable, not to mention hundreds of books, many unread and thousands of slides and negatives, some going back to the days my father was a school boy. My printer cost me around $5,000 and weighs a ton and my upright piano even more. My 36" TV is obsolete but still going strong and providing me with an excellent picture.

All this stuff has little resale value but is still serving me fine. Some items are irreplaceable. Other items I would suffer a big loss on the sale of, and whilst replacement in Thailand would result in an upgrade, it would be a major additional cost.

Trying to get a good price for such items would take time and would be troublesome.

Too easy you say! :o

If the stuff means that much to you, stick it in a little container and sea freight it to Thailand. You wouldn't have to pay duty on old personal items.

The other alternative is just sell the stuff for the best possible price and buy again in Thailand. You'll save a lot of money living in Thailand anyway, which will compensate for your costs in no time.

IMO you're far too attached to stuff. A piano? Big deal, sell it.

I've got stuff in 3 countries, and when it's out of sight, it's out of mind.

You're old computers and printer that weigh a ton can be replaced by new light weight technology.

You're right. It's not a big deal. However, the printer is heavy because it prints big - 24" wide rolls. The new models are just as heavy and just as expensive.

I see no insurmountable problems here. They are just things to consider. In any case, I won't be making any decision as to what to sell and what to ship until I'm well established in Thailand. Thanks for your concern :D .

The TV will not be of much use without conversion

When I first read this I thought lopburi3 was talking about Tourist Visas, but after reading on I realized he was referring to Television.

Anyway, back to topic.

I've been checking this forum most days, but I'm yet to see any reports to indicate how things are going in Penang. We're over 2 weeks into the "new era" of the 90 day rule and I'm sure there must be hundreds of tourist visa applications going in there everyday.

I can only conclude that very few visa runners are active members on this forum. It would seem that most members are permanent residents with other visa problems to consider.

Have I missed some reports?

You say you got collared on import even though it wasn't due? I can see that's something I'm going to have to look into.

I agree that being attached to too many things isn't good for you. That's just materialism. However, I don't see why I should have to give up or scale down my hobbies. What sort of a retirement is that! I've got equipment which I use, such as computers, scanners and printers, because photography is my hobby. I'm not in love with such equipment. My only concern is doing the most economical thing. I didn't get where I am, being able to afford a luxurious retirement in Thailand, by mindlessly throwing money away :o . (Although my ex-wife might disagree with that :D )

Hi Barry,

If you have ANY luck in finding out the sort of taxes and charges. Thailand will make on personal and some treasured household items I will be most grateful to hear the details.

I know those on a Retirement (NOT working) are liable to pay tax on 100% of everything they bring in (seems totally unfair to select against those without work permits but TIT).

I cannot find what rates and how many taxes will be made. I have looked at the Thai Import Duty site but it does not give specifics AND I could not relate and work out the complicated example they give). Equally an email I sent asking for info on PC, ornaments, DVDS, CDs etc. was never answered (I have to be honest emails I have sent to Thai authorities (not many) have NEVER BEEN answered (can't understand why they publish email addresses if they will not respond (even to direct me elsewhere) -who wants time wasting "lip service".

Good Luck with your investigations. Hope you have more luck than myself so far.

Regards, Dave

Hi Barry,

If you have ANY luck in finding out the sort of taxes and charges. Thailand will make on personal and some treasured household items I will be most grateful to hear the details.

I know those on a Retirement (NOT working) are liable to pay tax on 100% of everything they bring in (seems totally unfair to select against those without work permits but TIT).

I cannot find what rates and how many taxes will be made. I have looked at the Thai Import Duty site but it does not give specifics AND I could not relate and work out the complicated example they give). Equally an email I sent asking for info on PC, ornaments, DVDS, CDs etc. was never answered (I have to be honest emails I have sent to Thai authorities (not many) have NEVER BEEN answered (can't understand why they publish email addresses if they will not respond (even to direct me elsewhere) -who wants time wasting "lip service".

Good Luck with your investigations. Hope you have more luck than myself so far.

Regards, Dave

I guess it's all in the 'Thailand' experience. Inconsistencies, backhanders, corruption, you name it. This is an experience into the future for me. I'll keep you posted, but it'll be a month or two before I get myself organised.

In the meantime, is there a big prize for the 1000th poster to this thread? Does he (or she) get 2 weeks holiday in the location of choice plus free access (and no bar fines) to any 'bar' of choosing for the two week period? :D .

mid 2004 i brought in a high cube container stuffed to the brim with 62 m3 of valuable items most of which are on the list of "import forbidden" such as antique furniture, works of art, oriental rugs and sculptures. importing all our belongings to Thailand was mandatory for my wife and me in order to settle down here and we were prepared to pay a handsome amount to overcome this obstacle.

fortunately we were told about a big professional mover and clearing agency located in Bangkok which could handle our problem. on import duties we were charged something like 2.000 dollars, the container was not opened and had still the lock on it which my friend and neighbour who supervised the loading put on! both of us are in Thailand on a retiree visa and we were told that ZERO customs duty would have applied if i had a work permit.

container arrived in BKK, was cleared within 48 hours, shipped to Pattaya where we rented a shop to store our belongings for one year till the new home was finished. excellent polite crew of movers and supervisor speaking proper english.

i guess i think it's against the forum rules to post the name of the company, so feel free to PM me for further details.

How about my wife? Can she bring her car from USA?

how much for that?

She will drive in the wrong side of the car. Cars are right hand drive in Thailand.

Well here in US it is possible to buy left hand driven cars, such as a mini cooper. hat would solve the problem. Just is there a way to get it in without so much tax?

You'll be ok as you'll be flying in and out of the country, the crackdown is only applicable for landcrossing borders by the visa runner brigade.

How about my wife? Can she bring her car from USA?

how much for that?

She will drive in the wrong side of the car. Cars are right hand drive in Thailand.

Well here in US it is possible to buy left hand driven cars, such as a mini cooper. hat would solve the problem. Just is there a way to get it in without so much tax?

Unless you are a diplomat, you will pay a lot of tax and waste a lot of time. I have known people who imported vintage cars that were very special to them but even then they said they would not do it again.

The TV will not be of much use without conversion (which may not be an option) as the PAL system is used here rather than NTSC. If printer uses ac motors there could also be a frequency issue as 50Hz is used here rather than 60Hz in USA (which could mean slower motors/clocks). Can your turntables work on 50Hz? The AC voltage is 230v so you will have to use transforms for all electric items. As this is a very humid climate the shelf life of books is not great. Very few places will have central air conditioning so you may have to keep one running just to take care of books and slides - or at least a dehumidifier.

Everything you bring will be subject to customs duty.

The TV is too old and heavy to bother shipping. The second hand value is so little it's a write off. I'm in Australia, not the US. The voltage is the same as Thailand, 220-250 volts at 50Hz. (Similar PAL system too). Humidity is not a problem. I've lived in Darwin on the north coast of Australia for a number of years. That place is about as hot and humid as you can get.

I don't understand why second hand personal possessions should be subject to customs duty. If an item is fairly new and expensive and attracts a luxury tax, like a motor vehicle, then maybe. Computers, cameras and electronic goods in general seem to be cheaper than they are in Australia. There's no reason for Thailand to tax such items coming from Australia, except sheer bloodymindedness.

I shipped a one cubic meter box containing my computer, scanner, printer, CD's, etc from the UK to Thailand when I moved here last year and ended up paying about 11000 baht in bangkok for customs clearance and duty, tax and transport costs from the port to my home in Chonburi even though I had been told there was no import duty on electrical/electronic items.

No it is not a one year only item. 800k or 65k or combination.
I never said it was a one year thing. What i said was FIRST year thing

What you seem to be saying is, all one has to do is wave a bank book in their faces with the same 800k in it year after year and you are ok to go

Penkoprod

I shipped a one cubic meter box containing my computer, scanner, printer, CD's, etc from the UK to Thailand when I moved here last year and ended up paying about 11000 baht in bangkok for customs clearance and duty, tax and transport costs from the port to my home in Chonburi even though I had been told there was no import duty on electrical/electronic items.

Did you write clearly on the box in both Thai and English, "CUSTOMS DUTY DOES NOT APPLY. REFER REGULATION 2B SUBSECTION 3C". - or whatever?

And did you have a copy of the appropriate customs regulation in your hand at the time you were incorrectly charged duty? If you are being ripped off, it's up to you to stand your ground, for the benefit of the rest of us, if for no other reason.

Still, 11,000 Baht is not a great amount. Without knowing the value of the contents it's difficult to judge whether or not it was worth kicking up a fuss about.

Did you write clearly on the box in both Thai and English, "CUSTOMS DUTY DOES NOT APPLY. REFER REGULATION 2B SUBSECTION 3C". - or whatever?

And did you have a copy of the appropriate customs regulation in your hand at the time you were incorrectly charged duty? If you are being ripped off, it's up to you to stand your ground, for the benefit of the rest of us, if for no other reason.

Still, 11,000 Baht is not a great amount. Without knowing the value of the contents it's difficult to judge whether or not it was worth kicking up a fuss about.

The box was clearly labeled when I left it with the transport company in the UK but the label was damaged and not readable when I received it here in Thailand. The UK company automatically arranged for an agent to deal with things in Bangkok and they were who I had to pay, and when a Thai friend I had taken with me queried the cost they just refused to dicuss it and walked out of the office. After they'd done that four times I just paid them (the PC etc was worth a lot more than 11000 baht to me). The bill they gave me showed 'customs clearance -6500 baht, tax - 2500 baht and transport from the port to my home -2500 baht'. I know the transport should have been 500-600 baht but I don't kow about the other 'costs', and, believe me we sat in their office for over two hours asking what the costs were for and all they did was shrug their shoulders and walk away so in the end I paid, deciding 'this is Thailand'.

Edited by sumrit

No it is not a one year only item. 800k or 65k or combination.
I never said it was a one year thing. What i said was FIRST year thing

What you seem to be saying is, all one has to do is wave a bank book in their faces with the same 800k in it year after year and you are ok to go

Penkoprod

You asked:

Isnt the 800k only "valid" for the 1st year, and you will have to show either a monthly income of 65k, or a combination of some "lump sum" AND a monthly income to make up the balance of 800k a year in subequent years?

I answered that the same rules apply in other years as in first year. There is no change and no requirement for (("lump sum" AND a monthly income)). In fact people seem to be able to use fixed deposit accounts to meet requirements.