23 year old Irishman arrested in Chiang Mai for selling marijuana to police

webfact

23 Year Old Irishman Kieran Barry Arrested in Chiang Mai for Selling Marijuana
By Phillip Venne

CHIANG MAI –Crime Suppression Division Commander Lt.Gen Akkaradet Pimolsri has reported that 23-year-old Irishman Kieran Barry was arrested on Monday night in Chiang Mai as he attempted to sell 1Kg of marijuana to officers from the Crime Suppression Division.

According to Lt.Gen Akkaradet Pimolsri, Mr. Kieran Barry was arrested outside the Chiang Mai Night Plaza Boutique Hotel as he attempted to sell a kilo of marijuana to officers for 200,000 baht.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/23-year-old-irishman-kieran-barry-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-selling-marijuana.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-10-24

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mind numbing stupidity. It is not hugely difficult for foreigners to make decent money here legally.

Trying to set up a drug network here is lunacy. Connections are everything and if you're a nobody and you have no serious connections who've got your back its only a matter of time til you end up like this chap here. While i don't agree with drug laws in priciple i have zero sympathy for this man

It does appear to be an unwise trade - that's if the officers were in uniform and not undercover. I'll give him the benefit of doubt that he wasn't aware they were police. Lots of latitude for an Irish guy, huh?

But I can guess what's going to happen next. the drugs will be recycled, he will pay-off the officers, and either get released to ply his trade elsewhere or be deported back to Ireland for not possessing a work permit or similar.

Lot's of options...

haha oh wow! Luck of the Irish .. NOT!

It would feel dodgy and edgy buying weed here but selling it must be quite a sense of paranoia. I can understand that some foreigners love living in SE Asia and cannot seem to find funds, but this is moronic. Go back home and get a job or if you really must sell weed, do it where you won't be serving hefty jail time in some of the worst prisons in the world

There are more idiot foreigners per square mile In Thailand than anywhere on Earth. Dumber than a rock totally brain dead. Perhaps fifty years behind bars might improve his brain power.

Fifty years in front of bars appears to be the problem of many farangs.

It does appear to be an unwise trade - that's if the officers were in uniform and not undercover. I'll give him the benefit of doubt that he wasn't aware they were police. Lots of latitude for an Irish guy, huh?

But I can guess what's going to happen next. the drugs will be recycled, he will pay-off the officers, and either get released to ply his trade elsewhere or be deported back to Ireland for not possessing a work permit or similar.

Lot's of options...

one could be getting out of jail in time for his pension.

Lot's of options...

one could be getting out of jail in time for his pension.

Lots of options, but now that he's been in the media for it (photo and video), he's done. He's bang to rights and will almost certainly do time and get a big fine.

For weed the sentence might be quite hefty but if he confesses and behaves himself, he could be out in 5 years or so.

Jail, deportation and maybe a bit of extra time in an Irish jail following transfer look like his immediate future. Why anybody would even consider touching let alone selling any type of gear here is beyond me. Paradise can turn very ugly very quickly. This is a lesson in how not to do it

Archived