23 year old Irishman arrested in Chiang Mai for selling marijuana to police

webfact

A KILO - Was he carrying it in his pocket,

better still, where did he get it

from,, who's growing the stuff..

Smelly fish smelly.

...Hill tribe operations.....its easy to find ganga,if you know the secret mountain hand shake, Doi Pui for example...not that I know,just what I heard closedeyes.gif

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any update on this guy? What's his current situation? I guess my only interest is that he's Irish, and at 23 I went travelling SE Asia myself. Granted, I wasn't stupid enough to get into the business he's in (I just did the more boring thing and saved up before I went travelling).

That said, I can't help but feel some empathy, and wondering if he could take a visitor as i'll be in LOS in December. Having said that, i'm not going to Chiang Mai this time... is he being detained up there? Funny, i'm actually visiting my Australian pen-pal in BangKwang in December when i'm back in BKK.

I don't know how I feel sorry for these guys. I'm not a fan of drugs, but I hate that these guys are throwing their lives away for a few baht.

it appears as though he was assuming he could make a 1900% profit....more than just a few THB. That will prepare him well for paying 100 for a bottle of water, etc..

When I said 'a few baht', I meant in the grand scheme of things. €5k euro is a drop in the ocean for throwing a lot of your life away. Heck, when we go to Thailand for our annual holidays we budget 300k THB after accommodation... it's like throwing your life away for a the price of a [potential] nice holiday.

RIP mate, Thailand has you now!

I would still like to make contact with his family, though. Since we'll be going out there, i'd make the effort to get a message to him, if needs be. I haven't the slightest clue as to going about this, though.

Irishman arrested in Thailand on drugs charge could face 50 years behind bars if found guilty

A 23-year-old Irishman is facing up to 50 years in a Thai prison after he allegedly tried to sell a kilo of cannabis to undercover police officers.

The young Irishman was busted in a sting operation led by officers from Crime Suppression Divison in Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand early last week after police claimed that he tried to deal drugs to undercover officers.

Local media report that police arranged to meet the 23-year-old outside of the Chiang Mai Night Plaza Boutique Hotel on Monday October 19 after placing an order with him online.

Crime Suppression Division Commander Lt.Gen Akkaradet Pimolsri claims the Irishman was arrested as he attempted to sell a kilo of marijuana to officers for 200,000 baht (€5,090).

A video posted online shows the young man denying all knowledge of the incident and accusing officers of trying to set him up.

-- Irish Independent 2015-10-27

Would he get 50 years for 1 kilo of weed? Looks like i'll tell my friend in Bangkwang to expect an Irish friend soon, so.

How long is a trial like this likely to take? I would like to get in touch with him in December if he'll be in Bangkwang by then (which, if he gets 50 years, he'll be sent to... I think?)

If a judge condemned this man to half a century for trying to sell a plant that is legal and whose effects are not proven to be harmful long term, then the judge too would deserve to go inside with him on principle alone.

Also doesn't say much for the justice system when the soonest he can expect a trial date is 2017. Especially now that he is claiming to have been set up. Certainly wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened here.

If he is guilty, give him a rough punishment. But 50 years would be completely abhorrent.

If a judge condemned this man to half a century for trying to sell a plant that is legal and whose effects are not proven to be harmful long term, then the judge too would deserve to go inside with him on principle alone.

Also doesn't say much for the justice system when the soonest he can expect a trial date is 2017. Especially now that he is claiming to have been set up. Certainly wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened here.

If he is guilty, give him a rough punishment. But 50 years would be completely abhorrent.

Anyone who is not aware that SEA does not tolerate drug abusers deserves to be locked up.

"In all of the Southeast Asian countries, using or trafficking drugs carries stiff punishments that are enforced even if you’re a foreigner."

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/southeast-asia/legal-matters

Is the statement 'trial date is 2017' from your experience, or did you read that somewhere? Curious to read up about this as much as possible, if only for the fact that he's Irish and I was also 23 when I went on my first travels to SE Asia (although my motive was to jump off waterfalls, not sell weed)

Is the statement 'trial date is 2017' from your experience, or did you read that somewhere? Curious to read up about this as much as possible, if only for the fact that he's Irish and I was also 23 when I went on my first travels to SE Asia (although my motive was to jump off waterfalls, not sell weed)

It's from the article, it says, and i quote "It's likely that he will not appear before the Thai courts until 2017"

And to be fair I don't think any sane, rational person would choose to be a small time drug dealer in a south east asian country. It's good that you want to read up on this chap, it would be interesting to see what his story is.

Just the prices being given in the article are nowhere near realistic. Even swazi gold wouldn't be priced as high as that when sold in a single weight.

The guy deserves punishment if he is guilty, but certainly doesn't deserve multiple decades in hellish prison conditions either. The punishment very rarely seems to fit the crime here, and its always those defenceless souls at the bottom of the criminal pile who cop the harshest sentences

I have been in touch with a journalist who is going to try and contact his family. If I can get in touch with them, I may be able to track him down. If, by some miracle, he's moved further South towards BKK, I will do my best to visit him and ask him <deleted> he was up to. Although, I suspect he'll be detained in Chiang Mai (but that's a guess)

It is interesting to note that the police rushed to the media saying he had confessed.

On the other hand, UK reporters or stringers have posted reports that he denied the allegations.

This seems to be a recurring theme with the Thai police that they always claim the suspect has confessed irrespective of the facts.

Lots of prisons up north are really not that bad, used to visit quit a few in an official capacity. Not my idea of a holiday, though. Easy money is never as easy as people make it seem. Don't think he'll get 50 years, unless they make him an example. About 15 is average, if you're Thai and have no record. Release in 10 years.

the young man denying all knowledge of the incident and accusing officers of trying to set him up.

[...]

It's likely that he will not appear before the Thai courts until 2017.

Now that's very interesting!

50 years for a kg is stone age, the British sent convicts to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread 200 years ago.

The Thais will always have a cave man mentality about the use of recreational drugs....while marijuana is the one recreational drug they should be least concerned about anyhow....but the mentality and attitude of the Thai authorities will probably never change.

Until then...you are in big trouble if you are a user and even more trouble if you are a supplier.

Cheers

Hard tp believe in this day and age a yone getting jailed up for selling pot. Most of us who came through the 60's came through unscathed by being stoned half the time. Can't argue with when in Rome nor do I have knowledge of what other drugs was the guy into distributing but 50 years for pot or death in Maylaysia...they need to come out of the dark ages imvho

...........<deleted> you.........

...they bust Thais with truckloads of drugs....do they even get any jail time....???

......'sting operation'......sounds like a 'setup'......

....they sell illegal workers in this country and get a slap on the wrist if that......

....double standard....perverted justice.....

...even the quacks that inject butts with cement get less time.....

....there should be an international outcry.....

...where did he find the drug....grow it himself......???

....b.s....

Archived