23 year old Irishman arrested in Chiang Mai for selling marijuana to police

webfact

Again lots of Thai posters buying into the myth that Thailand and Thai authorities are tough on drugs.

Thailand is awash with drugs.

The profits from not only selling, but distribution and onward trafficking are kept within networks of people and funnelled up to very powerful people who hold establishment positions (police, military, politicians) or control senior establishment people.

The reason for the tough sentences is not the drugs and their harm to society but the fact that the competition may harm their profits.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, just today I went to a 100% legal dispensary and used my medical card to buy some gummy bear medibles.

One of those puppies before my hot yoga class actually improved my balance, 555

Too bad you geniuses live in the Middle Ages. This guy will probably prefer one of those 'Iron Maidens' to 50 years in a Thai prison...

Mind numbing stupidity. It is not hugely difficult for foreigners to make decent money here legally.

Trying to set up a drug network here is lunacy. Connections are everything and if you're a nobody and you have no serious connections who've got your back its only a matter of time til you end up like this chap here. While i don't agree with drug laws in priciple i have zero sympathy for this man

dont disagree with the bulk of your post, but how do you make money here legally?

In theory, you are not supposed to perform duties a Thai can do.

You cannot lift a finger, not even work on house, farm; without work permit.

I think they have covered pretty much everything except teaching English.

I have wondered for years how to make money here.

thats without outlaying so many millions you are bound to loose

What happened is the transaction was conducted on the 'darknet' and the 250,000 baht was held is escrow using bitcoins. The Irishman got convinced somehow, to meet this guy to supply the drugs, as this is too much weight to send using the mail system. The 'Thai' guy was likely US DEA who have an office in Chaing Mai.

So buddy showed up, thinking he was going to meet a farang.. and probably did, but he was a DEA agent. And then RTP swoop in.

This is why he couldn't pay the police off.

50 years for selling a drug that is now being legalised in many western countries for its medicinal properties. Seems a tad harsh.

But, getting to the whole point, has not been legalised in Thailand.

If someone is going to play big boy's games, make sure they read the rules first..............................wink.png

While the sentencing regime here does appear to be (at best) random and (at worst) chaotic, I think it's safe to say that everyone who either uses drugs, or deals in them, know what the consequences are of being caught.

If you know what the potential consequences are and still continue with you're illegal actions then you get exactly what you deserve, this is not a soft western culture that will slap you on the wrist, you are gambling with you're life for a few thousand dollars/euro's/pounds. If you think that level of risk is worth the measly returns then you're intelligence and judgement seems to be seriously impaired, in my humble opinion you're most probably a lost cause.

For those who still think "weed" is harmless and innocuous, who cares what you think? It is still illegal to deal in this in Thailand

Perhaps the stupid opinions and actions expressed and carried out in relation to this, are an indication of the lasting effects of it's use...

If a judge condemned this man to half a century for trying to sell a plant that is legal and whose effects are not proven to be harmful long term, then the judge too would deserve to go inside with him on principle alone.

Also doesn't say much for the justice system when the soonest he can expect a trial date is 2017. Especially now that he is claiming to have been set up. Certainly wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened here.

If he is guilty, give him a rough punishment. But 50 years would be completely abhorrent.

Jeez, he was set up. Oh the poor bellender. He might be innocent, of course, mustn't presume guilt. If he's guilty then let him man up and take his punishment.

Not everyone agrees that this odious plant has not been proven to have harmful effects: the more modern strains are, indeed, seen to be far too potent for you to say that.

50 years would be completely abhorrent: don't you understand? It's meant to be abhorrent. Where are we, Brighton or Colorado?

haha oh wow! Luck of the Irish .. NOT!

It would feel dodgy and edgy buying weed here but selling it must be quite a sense of paranoia. I can understand that some foreigners love living in SE Asia and cannot seem to find funds, but this is moronic. Go back home and get a job or if you really must sell weed, do it where you won't be serving hefty jail time in some of the worst prisons in the world

actualy there is nothing edgy about it unless you are clueless and purchasing from random people off the street.

Selling as a foreigner without proper backing is just plain idiotic. selling a kilo for 200 baht a gram to thais is just moronic.

haha oh wow! Luck of the Irish .. NOT!

It would feel dodgy and edgy buying weed here but selling it must be quite a sense of paranoia. I can understand that some foreigners love living in SE Asia and cannot seem to find funds, but this is moronic. Go back home and get a job or if you really must sell weed, do it where you won't be serving hefty jail time in some of the worst prisons in the world

actualy there is nothing edgy about it unless you are clueless and purchasing from random people off the street.

Selling as a foreigner without proper backing is just plain idiotic. selling a kilo for 200 baht a gram to thais is just moronic.

The deal was arranged on the internet. He thought he was meeting a farang. The DEA which has an office in Chaing Mai set this up. That's why he couldn't buy his way out.

Meanwhile, just today I went to a 100% legal dispensary and used my medical card to buy some gummy bear medibles.

One of those puppies before my hot yoga class actually improved my balance, 555

Too bad you geniuses live in the Middle Ages. This guy will probably prefer one of those 'Iron Maidens' to 50 years in a Thai prison...

What you're stating is fine in country of where you are from.

When are people going to realise SEA is not the place to take the chance? It's legal in very few places in the world but the penalties in Thailand etc are very well know, especially for visitors.

In Islam it's legal to marry a 9 year old. By everyone's reasoning I, if I was a muslim living O/S, should be able to marry a 9 year old because it's legal back home. Stupid analogy on their behalf.

interesting replies but I have never heard the long jail time for drugs being kept a secret. if the trial is not to 2017 he should be able to get bail and go to Ireland for a holidaybiggrin.png . as for being set up the police have said it was a sting operation so he is correct.

What happened is the transaction was conducted on the 'darknet' and the 250,000 baht was held is escrow using bitcoins. The Irishman got convinced somehow, to meet this guy to supply the drugs, as this is too much weight to send using the mail system. The 'Thai' guy was likely US DEA who have an office in Chaing Mai.

So buddy showed up, thinking he was going to meet a farang.. and probably did, but he was a DEA agent. And then RTP swoop in.

Sounds plausible but can you source anything there??

If not, it remains another cautionary tale for the would be farangs behind the curve...

Sounds plausible but can you sources anything there??

If not, it remains another cautionary tale for the would be farangs ahead of curve...

"Today, the DEA office consists of a resident agent in charge, four special agents, two intelligence analysts, an administrative officer, five Thai narcotics investigators, and Thai office staff. "

They are cracking down on the online 'anonymous' darknet market. Expect many more arrests.

He got befriended online by a farang, DEA. He got greedy and rather using the post to mail the product, he met in person due to the large quantity involved.

RTP would need the DEA's help in going after darknet sellers as it's highly technical.

Sounds plausible but can you sources anything there??

If not, it remains another cautionary tale for the would be farangs ahead of curve...

"Today, the DEA office consists of a resident agent in charge, four special agents, two intelligence analysts, an administrative officer, five Thai narcotics investigators, and Thai office staff. "

They are cracking down on the online 'anonymous' darknet market. Expect many more arrests.

He got befriended online by a farang, DEA. He got greedy and rather using the post to mail the product, he met in person due to the large quantity involved.

RTP would need the DEA's help in going after darknet sellers as it's highly technical.

I hear you and it sounds right but can you put any reference to how you know what you know.

I dont know how this ends, and I donot really care, but I do know that farangs have been arrested in Hua Hin and Pattaya for dealing cocaine in the recent past, only to be back on the streets in a few days and still selling !!! (Only this time employed by the bib, I am guessing...)

TIT

A kilo of grass. So bloody what? Nothing wrong with good old herbal medicine. If it were chemicals, ok. That's done nothing good for anybody. All you old guys with backward thinking who think weed is the same as all the other s_hite need to do a bit of research. That's if you know how to open up Google and type; marijuana and healing effects. You will find that in more and more countries this 'terrible' drug is being legalized because of it's healing effects.

That Paddy got done for selling the medicine is because the corrupted scum over at RTP CM don't allow any competition.

^ so was ... . That was a pov!

Still a crime dave despite personal pov. Age has nothing to do with it. I think you will find some of the older folk are more au fait with the magic weed than you think. Just more careful in a foreign country than our friend.

TV. Plenitude ...

While the sentencing regime here does appear to be (at best) random and (at worst) chaotic, I think it's safe to say that everyone who either uses drugs, or deals in them, know what the consequences are of being caught.

If you know what the potential consequences are and still continue with you're illegal actions then you get exactly what you deserve, this is not a soft western culture that will slap you on the wrist, you are gambling with you're life for a few thousand dollars/euro's/pounds. If you think that level of risk is worth the measly returns then you're intelligence and judgement seems to be seriously impaired, in my humble opinion you're most probably a lost cause.

For those who still think "weed" is harmless and innocuous, who cares what you think? It is still illegal to deal in this in Thailand

Perhaps the stupid opinions and actions expressed and carried out in relation to this, are an indication of the lasting effects of it's use...

I do believe you mean " For those who still think who actually know "weed" is harmless....bla bla bla bla....

Do by chance you work for the pharmaceuticals industry?

Still a crime dave despite personal pov. Age has nothing to do with it. I think you will find some of the older folk are more au fait with the magic weed than you think. Just more careful in a foreign country than our friend.

TV. Plenitude ...

Nothing to do with my pov. I don't smoke. Many friends with illnesses like Arthritis, MS, Parkinson's and even cancer patients have shown big improvements and even some have healed altogether because of this 'monstrous' weed. People who still believe that this is a bad drug are either backward, braindead or in bed with Big Pharma.

And who cares about laws that a bunch of backward apes have drawn up? Here and back home.....just don't get caught

If a judge condemned this man to half a century for trying to sell a plant that is legal and whose effects are not proven to be harmful long term, then the judge too would deserve to go inside with him on principle alone.

Also doesn't say much for the justice system when the soonest he can expect a trial date is 2017. Especially now that he is claiming to have been set up. Certainly wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened here.

If he is guilty, give him a rough punishment. But 50 years would be completely abhorrent.

I completely disagree with you that there are no long term side effects of using Marijuana, in fact in the most comprehensive 20 year study widely recognised and published says other wise, see link below. It is shown that it can effect, memory, IQ, learning abilities (bad for teenage use), lung cancer, gateway drug and even psychosis. I have met heavy users in my life and even whilst not smoking I have seen a significant effect on how "dopey" they appear and how they seem switched off.

In my view the populist policies of legalising the drug in certain US states will be something they deeply regret in years to come, by which time it will be too late. What kind of country are they leaving for their kids,,,?

Anway, just my opinion but now good to see some evidence to back up what was blindingly obvious to me.

But whatever your opinion you may have about the drug it is illegal and this guy has broken the law. I think 50 years in jail is ridiculous, its hardly a punishment that fits the crime but he does deserve punishment for sure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/10/07/what-20-years-of-research-has-taught-us-about-the-chronic-effects-of-marijuana/

TV. Plenitude ...

Nothing to do with my pov. I don't smoke. Many friends with illnesses like Arthritis, MS, Parkinson's and even cancer patients have shown big improvements and even some have healed altogether because of this 'monstrous' weed. People who still believe that this is a bad drug are either backward, braindead or in bed with Big Pharma.

And who cares about laws that a bunch of backward apes have drawn up? Here and back home.....just don't get caught

Mate, lets start a new thread for the medicinal qualities and consider here what is an offense under local laws.

It is a pov to post the contrarian views as you have. The Irish boy was silly, if it proves he was trying to sell weed, and ther is no evidence he was doing so for the purposes you suggest. Quantity issues aside, most people are careful abroad despite attitudes to such substances and he will not garner much from your defense.

TV. Plenitude ...

Mate, lets start a new thread for the medicinal qualities and consider here what is an offense under local laws.

It is a pov to post the contrarian views as you have. The Irish boy was silly, if it proves he was trying to sell weed, and ther is no evidence he was doing so for the purposes you suggest. Quantity issues aside, most people are careful abroad despite attitudes to such substances and he will not garner much from your defense.

Read the last sentence again...who cares about your pov Mate.

We all know it's an offense and the young lad will be sent away for a while if he doesn't manage to corrupt those b-tards.

We all know we should be extremely careful when using illegal substances abroad or anywhere for that matter.

We all know what you have been saying, nothing new.

At least I'm adding something new to this discussion.

I am discussing here if it is fair to send someone away for weed, so I wont start a new thread as you suggest. I will discuss it right here

TV. Plenitude ...

Show me 1 case where marijuana has cured Arthritis, Parkinsons or Cancer! What a load of bull. The only thing it can do is stimulate and make you dopey as well fed puppy and therefore numbing some pain. The same could e said for alcohol or many other controlled and prescribed pain killers.

I wish people would stop with this rubbish about claims of marijuana. It is a nasty drug with proven long term side effects now, yes it is not as harmful as many but there are opinions for and against, better if we stick to the facts rather then read nonsense claims.

The guy was dealing it, he sold it to the police and now needs to be punished, simple as that..

Archived