Video of how to save the 50 Baht and not have to queue for a taxi

sammym

I know this will get some scorn and ridicule from many on here. But for someone who is just visiting it might be helpful. It also shows the lengths the driver goes too, to make more money than the meter. For those who think I'm tight i did in the end give him a tip. I just wanted to see if you could do it. Apologies for the annoying squeaky voice - I'd just had a 19 hour flight :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am brand new to Thailand and I heard this expression, "Cheap Charlie".

Something tells me you are the man to ask when it comes to a definition.

Well with that post count I am guessing you are not that new to Thailand. But as I've pointed out - it's about time saving as well. The last time I came to Thailand I had to wait 45 minutes in a line for a taxi, this time I just walked straight through. I also pointed out I did tip the driver.

Well done Sammy, I can see you are not a 'cheap Charlie'. I think maybe post #2 just wants to make you look a tight-wad, because he didn't think of doing that himself. Why do these people think it's ok for taxi drivers, and many other rip-off merchants to scam tourists and even expats from their money. As like you said, it's more the principal than the actual money involved, and a time saver.

Well done mate, welcome back to Thailand....

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I guess different people have different priorities.

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad :) have a good day mate.

I never experienced a 45 minute wait, but no doubt it can happen at peak times. I have been to the country over a dozen times and I have no desire to do what you did. The best that happens is you save a few minutes and a few dollars. The worst that can happen can be a pretty long list. No taxi receipt. Comes in handy if things go wrong. Airport police may get involved or some other taxi drivers from downstairs queue could raise a fuss. I am not against saving a few dollars. Goodness, I have taken the longer BTS with Rail Link connection and even have used the public buses a few times when I had the time. But just stop and think what you are doing. Arriving in a foreign country at night. Hopping in a taxi with no record of you hopping in that taxi. Not recommended for the general traveling public. I am not a scaredy cat and have taken my share of 2 AM taxis to Pattaya in the past. The heart beats a little faster when the driver pulls off for gas and some Red BUll or whatever he needs to stay awake. For simplicity and for cost, I have been able to take the flights from the USA to BKK that get me there at 1100. So I can take the cheap bus to pattaya or rail link and BTS or bus into Bangkok. Plane ticket price is the same as the other connections that get me there at 2 AM, but I save quite a bit and it is better to arrive during the day.

I always walk to departure level at Swampy, or out to Vibhavadi-Rangsit road at Don Mueang when arriving other than from my yearly home-country-trip when I have so much luggage (= food) with me that it is not doable.

The reason is not 50 THB I am saving that way, but I am much less likely (at least 5 times less likely, me thinks) being SCAMMED than when I use official Airport cabs. Using official Airport Cabs from the queue, my FRAUD ratio is about 50% in the past 24 months (rigged Meters usually). Or the driver sobs that he only gets a trip of 20 Km to where I live, and not 130 KM to Pattaya, and that he had to queue for 2 hours just for those pathetic 230 Baht he gets from me. I am tired of that....

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad smile.png have a good day mate.

"Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad"

get the electricity to run without the card = Is this legal? Do you do that in your home too?

Tell us more, interesting...

So freaking sad.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad smile.png have a good day mate.

"Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad"

get the electricity to run without the card = Is this legal? Do you do that in your home too?

I have no idea if it's legal or not. I'm not a lawyer and know less about Thai Criminal Law than I do about English. I'd guess that if it was a major problem they would have notices saying not to do it. However life wouldn't be so miserable if you didn't find something to whinge and complain about would it... I've created a couple of video's to try and help people who are travelling and coming to Thailand. I have no problem if you don't like them - you can tell me. But seriously - you must have better things to do with your time than worry about ridiculous hypothetical legal arguments about stealing electricity via using a piece of paper rather than the piece of plastic provided.

Anyway - have a nice day mate. I'm getting a sleeper train later. I'll be breaking the rules by taking some alcohol with me. I'll share it with whoever else is on my train. I know it's incredibly naughty, but I'm a natural risk taker :)

So freaking sad.

i'm just guessing how he tipped the taxi driver ... 10 thb ? or less ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So freaking sad.

This video is aimed at cheap charlie backpackers who would rather spend 30 mins on arguing just save $1

In 15 years i have never seen or been in lines for 45 mins to get a taxi and after 19 hour flight last thing anyone in the right mind wants to do is haggle and argue in order to save $1

Do not try to make it out as if getting a taxi is a problemblink.png

Indeed it is sad, you book cheapest hotel and then cheat to have air con going while you away.

Travelling on the cheap and being a cheap charlie is NOT one of the same

As a hotel owner, in my opinion nothing short of fraud. I wonder if at home you run your aircon while you awayrolleyes.gif

So freaking sad.

i'm just guessing how he tipped the taxi driver ... 10 thb ? or less ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I am guessing meter ran to 295 or 297, so he was the big spender and let driver keep 3-5 baht changegiggle.gif

So freaking sad.

I have no idea if it's legal or not. I'm not a lawyer and know less about Thai Criminal Law than I do about English. I'd guess that if it was a major problem they would have notices saying not to do it. However life wouldn't be so miserable if you didn't find something to whinge and complain about would it... I've created a couple of video's to try and help people who are travelling and coming to Thailand. I have no problem if you don't like them - you can tell me. But seriously - you must have better things to do with your time than worry about ridiculous hypothetical legal arguments about stealing electricity via using a piece of paper rather than the piece of plastic provided.

Anyway - have a nice day mate. I'm getting a sleeper train later. I'll be breaking the rules by taking some alcohol with me. I'll share it with whoever else is on my train. I know it's incredibly naughty, but I'm a natural risk taker smile.png

All the best. Have a good trip and enjoy your alcohol with your fellow passengers!

After all, the law is only for the weak and feeble!

I will not be surprised that more foreigners will fly off high rise buildings and get beaten up unmercifully on the streets in the future with such mentality.

YES, TH needs a different type of tourist for sure.

So freaking sad.

This video is aimed at cheap charlie backpackers who would rather spend 30 mins on arguing just save $1

In 15 years i have never seen or been in lines for 45 mins to get a taxi and after 19 hour flight last thing anyone in the right mind wants to do is haggle and argue in order to save $1

Indeed it is sad, you book cheapest hotel and then cheat to have air con going while you away.

As a hotel owner, in my opinion nothing short of fraud. I wonder if at home you run your aircon while you awayrolleyes.gif

Why are you using ridiculous examples? Did it look to you that it took me half an hour? Do you think it would have been quicker for me to get a form filled in and then a form given to a driver only to then be walked to a cab?

We are not talking about aircon being run all day. Again you are using an extreme and ridiculous argument. We are talking about charging a laptop... If you have a problem with that why don't you put up a sign telling people not to do it?

Getting a cab there isn't illegal. It's above board. It saves time and money. Sorry that you don't like that.

(Side note - the taxi drivers don't get the 50 baht. The poor do not do well out of it.)

So freaking sad.

the big return in Los of Bonnie and Clyde cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif they stroke again !!! cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

So freaking sad.

Why are you using ridiculous examples? Did it look to you that it took me half an hour? Do you think it would have been quicker for me to get a form filled in and then a form given to a driver only to then be walked to a cab?

We are not talking about aircon being run all day. Again you are using an extreme and ridiculous argument. We are talking about charging a laptop... If you have a problem with that why don't you put up a sign telling people not to do it?

Getting a cab there isn't illegal. It's above board. It saves time and money. Sorry that you don't like that.

(Side note - the taxi drivers don't get the 50 baht. The poor do not do well out of it.)

Now after reading how ridiculous you sound you are trying to wiggle out by rather silly arguments.

To start with how long is your video? thats already long enough to give me a headache

Secondly i have no doubts you were haggling over toll ways, no point denying it

You then claimed to have tipped, i do not believe it even for one second, this is just your justification hoping to appear not to be cheap a$$

Why else would you cheat to have electric without a card if not for the running aircon?

When card is removed , all power points still active, including the fridge, again, nothing but silly justification to justify your tight a$$ behavior.

And now to top it up, you want to bring up the 50baht not going to poor?giggle.gif so why did you not give him 50 baht/$1.50, are you that tight that you can not afford to give the poor $1.50?

Let me guess you also wait for 1 baht change during happy hour 39 baht beers?gigglem.gif

So freaking sad.

the big return in Los of Bonnie and Clyde cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif they stroke again !!! cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Yep the big tipper gets not only cheapest room, but room without air, so no more than 200 baht per night and then he wants to run fan 24 hours per day.

True quality tourist.

Next video would be how to skip 200 baht room bill and keep moving aroundbah.gif

So freaking sad.

Yep the big tipper gets not only cheapest room, but room without air, so no more than 200 baht per night and then he wants to run fan 24 hours per day.

True quality tourist.

Next video would be how to skip 200 baht room bill and keep moving aroundbah.gif

You talk of pathetic arguments and then you go and contradict yourself... A moment it's air con and now it's not. How much I tip is immaterial... I could say 10k or 1 baht... But it wouldn't change the point about the original video... Which is where to get picked up if you want to avoid the fee and the queue.

Now going back to silly arguments... How long is the video, I don't know around 5 minutes. How many times does that go into thirty? If maths isn't your strong point you could square the number of minutes and be below your stupid 30 minute haggling figure.

Anyway - having a beer now. Have a nice evening, as I will smile.png

Filling in a form?

You don't need to fill in a form to get a taxi at the airport. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with how the current legit system works before declaring yourself the internet expert and showing us how to circumvent a system you clearly don't understand.

You talk of pathetic arguments and then you go and contradict yourself... A moment it's air con and now it's not. How much I tip is immaterial... I could say 10k or 1 baht... But it wouldn't change the point about the original video... Which is where to get picked up if you want to avoid the fee and the queue.

Now going back to silly arguments... How long is the video, I don't know around 5 minutes. How many times does that go into thirty? If maths isn't your strong point you could square the number of minutes and be below your stupid 30 minute haggling figure.

Yes my bad. I assumed you could afford air con room but after watching your video , turns out you can not even afford that but a fan room yet still need to cheat to run electricity for 24 hours, your words not mine.

You do not tip, it's just a fact .

Enjoy your beer, 7-11 selling alcohol times just started,make sure to stand by the door so you can get air con breeze when doors open.

Keep an eye out, they might sell discounted cans if someone drops it.

May be idea for new video, drop and damage cans to save further 2-5 baht. ;)

' cheap charlie ' comes to mind ........... I can't believe the lengths people will go to just to save 100 baht ....... OMG !! that's $3.00

poor poor sods traveling around Thailand ....... you certainly are not quality tourists !! TAT don't need you here .. that's for sure !

bah.gif

I love the way the OP is denying it is about saving money but clearly states in post 22 that it is about avoiding the fee.

I reckon he edited that video as his first sad attempt to pass the wrong way through the one way barrier was an epic fail.

Coming to Thailand for years apparently but can't pronounce Khao San correctly. My Thai is rubbish but even I know it is a cow sound not a co sound.

I love the way the OP is denying it is about saving money but clearly states in post 22 that it is about avoiding the fee.

I reckon he edited that video as his first sad attempt to pass the wrong way through the one way barrier was an epic fail.

Coming to Thailand for years apparently but can't pronounce Khao San correctly. My Thai is rubbish but even I know it is a cow sound not a co sound.

I've never denied it was about saving money. I go in metered cabs to save money. At home I get the cheapest rate mortgage I can, hey I even import my cameras from China to save a lot of money. I have no problem saving money. If you'd have looked at post 1, or even the video it's about saving BOTH time AND money.

Correct - I did pass the wrong way thought the gate originally. Well spotted.

This is my second time in Thailand. The comment in the video about "many times" was merely at attempt to get the driver to drop the 50 baht thing and put the taxi on the meter.

I don't get why you are so negative? I've just got into a lovely guest house in chang mai. The internet is fast, there is no card to cut the electricity out when I leave and it's LESS than 200 baht a night. I don't judge things by how much they cost me, but how much I like them. I'm looking forward to a day exploring here. I'll rent a bike and have a great time. I'm happy - I don't feel the need to be negative. I hope you can get to that point soon.

Yes my bad. I assumed you could afford air con room but after watching your video , turns out you can not even afford that but a fan room yet still need to cheat to run electricity for 24 hours, your words not mine.

You do not tip, it's just a fact .

Enjoy your beer, 7-11 selling alcohol times just started,make sure to stand by the door so you can get air con breeze when doors open.

Keep an eye out, they might sell discounted cans if someone drops it.

May be idea for new video, drop and damage cans to save further 2-5 baht. wink.png

How can you know what I can or cannot afford? If I'm comfortable and happy in a fan room why should I get an air con room because you perceive it to be better? Are you judging me because of your perception of my wealth (or lack of it), or because I "cheated" some electricity.

You need to look up the definition of a fact. If I tip or not is none of your business. However if you are confident in your assertion I'd give up running a hotel in a third world country and take up buying lottery tickets.

I do enjoy a beer from 7-11 though. I'm not a big drinker, but when I'm chilling on a balcony having a beer is nice. Does your beer taste better/worst depending on where it is purchased from? I'm not sure I'd want to purchase a broken bottle. But I'll bear it in mind.

Have you always been so sad and bitter? You are in an amazing country with loads to see. But you chose to come on the internet and be negative. Try being happy and seeing the good in things. It will make you a better person.

P.S. Where is your hotel? I'm travelling around I'd be happy to meet you and have a beer. In person I'm sure you are a nice bloke and we could get along. I'd even buy it!

I've never denied it was about saving money. I go in metered cabs to save money. At home I get the cheapest rate mortgage I can, hey I even import my cameras from China to save a lot of money. I have no problem saving money. If you'd have looked at post 1, or even the video it's about saving BOTH time AND money.

Correct - I did pass the wrong way thought the gate originally. Well spotted.

This is my second time in Thailand. The comment in the video about "many times" was merely at attempt to get the driver to drop the 50 baht thing and put the taxi on the meter.

I don't get why you are so negative? I've just got into a lovely guest house in chang mai. The internet is fast, there is no card to cut the electricity out when I leave and it's LESS than 200 baht a night. I don't judge things by how much they cost me, but how much I like them. I'm looking forward to a day exploring here. I'll rent a bike and have a great time. I'm happy - I don't feel the need to be negative. I hope you can get to that point soon.

Post 7 is where you deny it is about the money and then post 22 is where you claim another poster is contradicting himself. That's why the negative post.

You doth protest too much.

Nothing wrong with living on a budget. just don't bite and when people state that and try to deny it.

I am brand new to Thailand and I heard this expression, "Cheap Charlie".

Something tells me you are the man to ask when it comes to a definition.

Well with that post count I am guessing you are not that new to Thailand. But as I've pointed out - it's about time saving as well. The last time I came to Thailand I had to wait 45 minutes in a line for a taxi, this time I just walked straight through. I also pointed out I did tip the driver.

45 minutes wait??

Complete rubbish

I've been to Thai 30+ times, never waited more than 15/20

Mins max.

45 minutes - no way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived