Video of how to save the 50 Baht and not have to queue for a taxi

sammym

What a low life idiot, aggressively fighting over 50b after saving time on queuing time.

'saving face' emo.gif 'staying polite' emo.gif 'going to bangkok often' emo.gif He obviously learned the Lonely Planet lessons very well but has no idea what a joke he makes of him selves.

Even as tip for a good driver 50b is pretty miserable, what a dude.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah life sucks for people with 'principles'.

What a low life idiot, aggressively fighting over 50b after saving time on queuing time.

The driver has no right to the 50 baht. He was not in the queue downstairs. He did a pick-up immediately after a drop.

Several people have said it's better for the drivers.

It's not better for those drivers who play by the rules and queue up, only to lose customers to those who circumvent the system.

Considering the amount of whining people do here about dishonest taxi drivers, I'm surprised anyone would advocate this.

What a bunch of crap. A driver who has just dropped someone at the airport is happy to pick someone up in the departure's area. The vast majority of arriving passengers queue, pay the 50 baht and wait. Those few of us resourceful and energetic enough to head to departures, by-pass the barriers and grab a taxi at departures are entitled to benefit from our efforts.

I have always had honest, friendly drivers who have given no reason whatever for me to whine. Drivers who queue up would be the majority not lucky enough to meet someone like me as they drop off passengers who is willing and able to clamber over or around barriers. This is Thailand. There are rules and there are semi-legitimate ways around them.

Get off your high-horse and acknowledge that the odd person who circumvents the norm is hardly wrecking the whole system for either passengers or drivers. Very few people have the gumption or lack of heavy luggage to head up escalators, scout around barriers and negotiate directly with taxi drivers. If you cannot or do not want to do what I and some others do then at least have the decency to allow us to continue the practice without your unwarranted criticisms.

I am going to let you in on a big secret, its rather classified information, so hope you will not go spreading it around.

After they drop off a passenger in departures, they drive down and join other taxi's to pick up customers from arrivals.

They DO NOT drive back empty

The only difference that it makes for them is the wait time, if arrivals do not have too many people waiting, other wise in peak hours, drop off, drive down, 5 mins wait and customer to go back,

Is that right,you can't bring drinks in from outside.I'm not here to make other farangs rich with their overpriced beer.I stick with drinking with the locals.

Clearly you never been to a decent bar for locals, you might be shocked to find out prices in a decent club catering for locals prices start at 250 baht, but you welcome to hang around peasants , may be you have a lot to talk aboutgiggle.gif

PS, Yes in many clubs you can bring drinks with you from outside, but you pay a fee. and pay double for mixersthumbsup.gif

Are you sure that any taxi discharging passengers at departure can join the official arrivals queue downstairs? I believe those drivers must have a special airport permit.

Special permit applies only to unmarked taxi cars.

Official taxi does not need a permit

I am brand new to Thailand and I heard this expression, "Cheap Charlie".

Something tells me you are the man to ask when it comes to a definition.

Well with that post count I am guessing you are not that new to Thailand. But as I've pointed out - it's about time saving as well. The last time I came to Thailand I had to wait 45 minutes in a line for a taxi, this time I just walked straight through. I also pointed out I did tip the driver.

I would be sorry to lose so much voice for 50 Baht. tongue.png If the Taxi on meter and that mneter is correct running, the Taxi are still cheap in Bangkok.

So I would not fight about that 50 B. wink.png

I had until now no problems at Suvarnabhumi airport with waiting times for a Taxi, but nearly always have in Don Mueang, so there I can also recommend to go to the departure level and take a Taxi instead of waiting in a queue for 20-30 minutes +.

I will also accept, sometimes a flat rate if its a reasonable one. I live here and know the price with meter. smile.png

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I guess different people have different priorities.

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad smile.png have a good day mate.

"how to get the electricity to run without the card"

Are the people really so silly, that they need you to show them such banality stuff tongue.png

Did not think so, but seems to be so. lol blink.png

I love the way the OP is denying it is about saving money but clearly states in post 22 that it is about avoiding the fee.

I reckon he edited that video as his first sad attempt to pass the wrong way through the one way barrier was an epic fail.

Coming to Thailand for years apparently but can't pronounce Khao San correctly. My Thai is rubbish but even I know it is a cow sound not a co sound.

I've just got into a lovely guest house in chang mai. The internet is fast, there is no card to cut the electricity out when I leave and it's LESS than 200 baht a night.

Less than 200 B. a night please post a photo of your room and the in room toilet - it has that? here,

or a video. In room toilet - Western style sitting? Warm water shower? Window to the outside world or only into a corridor?

You will bring a lot money home you nearly do not need any. wink.png

I love the way the OP is denying it is about saving money but clearly states in post 22 that it is about avoiding the fee.

I reckon he edited that video as his first sad attempt to pass the wrong way through the one way barrier was an epic fail.

Coming to Thailand for years apparently but can't pronounce Khao San correctly. My Thai is rubbish but even I know it is a cow sound not a co sound.

I've just got into a lovely guest house in chang mai. The internet is fast, there is no card to cut the electricity out when I leave and it's LESS than 200 baht a night.

Less than 200 B. a night please post a photo of your room and the in room toilet - it has that? here,

or a video. In room toilet - Western style sitting? Warm water shower? Window to the outside world or only into a corridor?

So what if he stays in a cheap room? In my younger backpacking days I often did the same. It doesn't really matter if you're spending your time out enjoying the country.

I don't really understand why he wants electricity while he's out, though.

Last time I tried to catch a taxi at the official rank it took more than 30 mins so he does have a point that it might save time.

How long ago was that?

Sorry, thinking about it, it was Don Muang. My bad.

Yes have the bad experiences regarding longer waiting and a lot of people in front of you also there.

Last on 26.10. arriving early afternoon with my boys from Kuala Lumpur from a nice Moto GP race.

So what if he stays in a cheap roomarrow-10x10.png? In my younger backpacking days I often did the same. It doesn't really matter if you're spending your time out enjoying the country.

I don't really understand why he wants electricity while he's out, though.

"doesn't really matter if you're spending your time out enjoying the country"

It matters to me - a sit down toilet inside my room,

a warm water shower,

a window to the outside world - waking up with the day-sunlight, not a NO WINDOW room or a window to a corridor with passers by.

Its just not enough - that Cheapest room, living in a hole in the wall does not fit my needs.

I would be willing to spend some bucks more to have all that small goodies.

"I don't really understand why he wants electricity while he's out, though."

To charge some of the electric stuff in the time out, second, third battery for - whatever. wink.png

Several people have said it's better for the drivers.

It's not better for those drivers who play by the rules and queue up, only to lose customers to those who circumvent the system.

Considering the amount of whining people do here about dishonest taxi drivers, I'm surprised anyone would advocate this.

Those drivers you speak of who "play by the rules" simply weren't lucky enough to get a passenger before they were chased off by Security.

Security does not immediately chase drivers off when they have discharged incoming passengers. For more than a year now, AOT have officially permitted incoming taxis to accept passengers at the departures level, so long as they have brought a passenger in. That is part of the system and they too are playing by the rules as AOT have laid them out.

I will go ahead and admit that I always take taxis from the departures level. This is not about 50 baht, but there is never any wait or queue and I can choose the car and driver that I prefer.

I fear now that the word is out...the authorities will make leaving Airport much more difficult...if you have a secret keep this to yourself.. you now have lengthened your future travels....others whom have been here some 20yrs know more about Thai than you the week week traveler...speak Thai would be impressive .. sharing secrets with millions only hurts the people living yes living here..pay your dues or keep silent OK?...does the thousands of visitors to Thai waiting in Q effect you...no...so <deleted>!

Archived