Video of how to save the 50 Baht and not have to queue for a taxi

sammym

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my earlier years here I wanted to go from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang, and when we arrived I gave him 1000 baht since I didn't have smaller denominations. We got the bags out of the back of the taxi then where I was expecting some change he jumped in and wheel span away. Hope he made good use of it.

In the above case I think I'd have took the middle ground and say "okay, meter and 50 baht but no tip". I also suspect that because Sammy was talking fairly quickly, the driver might not have picked up on everything he was saying. In genuine use of meter I would tip handsomely, because BKK traffic can be slow and they wouldn't be able to fit many jobs into a day.

For room electricity, I wouldn't run AirCon if I wasn't there, even if I could, as that would be very disrespectful. It must be one of the larger overheads on hotels and guesthouses.

The last time I came through Suvarnabhumi Airport and took a taxi, from the arrival level, I waited 25 minutes and had to fight with the guy over where I had to go. I have had other issues with the airport taxis as well. Due to my location in Bangkok I have to pay 1 or 2 tolls depending on the motorways used. Either way there is no significant savings for total trip price going to or coming back from the airport. My last trip, yesterday, I made a beeline for the departure level and went straight out to a taxi. He moved the turnstyle for me and I slipped through with very easily. Bags were put in the car and I hopped into the front seat within 10 minutes of collecting my bags. He questionsed the meter, and I simply stated 'Meter' is a stern tone. No issues. He did say that my initial choice for route was going to cost an extra 10 baht in tolls and he went the other way. I did tip him 20 baht. After a long flight I just want to get on my way as quick as I can. If that means I go up to catch a taxi so be it. I have riden the airport line to get to the BTS which is a very nice ride. I still have to catch a taxi for about 100 baht once I get done with the BTS. I typically leave and arrive when the BTS and airport lines are not operating so I am stuck with a taxi.

Seriously I don't understand what the issue is with catching a taxi from the allotted place.

The set-up is better than it was, seemed more organized (last month) no waiting, no arguments about the route into town or the use of the meter.

There are many threads about the charge for catching a taxi at the airport, it was agreed by the transport government why do people continue to make it an issue.

50THB = 1GBP / 150$est. Before anyone says its not about the money YES it is if you feel the need to complain then it must be.

When I catch taxis from the departure area, I have never had a problem getting the driver to use meter nor been asked for 50 baht. Maybe speaking Thai is the reason why I get no argument from the driver. As for tipping, if traffic is heavy and the driver a decent guy, I will usually tip, but not 50 baht.

I'm sorry for offending some people. This forum has helped me out with finding stuff to do in Thailand. And I'm grateful for that.

I suppose my aversion to someone randomly adding amounts to the meter is cultural. In London I'd be pretty shocked if a taxi driver said he was adding something to the meter... If I wish to give a tip I will do. I understand it's a poor country, and in my own way I try to be generous. I don't book online and prefer to pay the places in person. So they get all the money etc, I also do tip when I want and buy local when I can to put back into the economy.

Anyway - I'm having a great time in Thailand. I've just got back from Pai. Riding a bike through the mountains was amazing. Chilling in the waterfalls was refreshing and exploring lod cave was an experience I won't forget soon. I hope everyone on here is enjoying this country as much as me :) only 11 days before Vietnam, then Cambodia and then back to Thailand for another month in the islands over Xmas and new year. I'll continue doing my thing - I have my budget and am loving doing this on a budget. I meet amazing people, both local and foreign and I've even picked up a few words of Thai. I'll miss the north a lot - more kind and decent people I'm yet to meet. Got a flat tyre and a man gave me a lift to a garage. He wouldn't take money off me, and it only cost me 150 baht for a new inner tube. I don't know if that's expensive or not - but it was a bargain to me when I was tired and wanted to get home.

I'm sorry for offending some people. This forum has helped me out with finding stuff to do in Thailand. And I'm grateful for that.

I suppose my aversion to someone randomly adding amounts to the meter is cultural. In London I'd be pretty shocked if a taxi driver said he was adding something to the meter... If I wish to give a tip I will do. I understand it's a poor country, and in my own way I try to be generous. I don't book online and prefer to pay the places in person. So they get all the money etc, I also do tip when I want and buy local when I can to put back into the economy.

Anyway - I'm having a great time in Thailand. I've just got back from Pai. Riding a bike through the mountains was amazing. Chilling in the waterfalls was refreshing and exploring lod cave was an experience I won't forget soon. I hope everyone on here is enjoying this country as much as me :) only 11 days before Vietnam, then Cambodia and then back to Thailand for another month in the islands over Xmas and new year. I'll continue doing my thing - I have my budget and am loving doing this on a budget. I meet amazing people, both local and foreign and I've even picked up a few words of Thai. I'll miss the north a lot - more kind and decent people I'm yet to meet. Got a flat tyre and a man gave me a lift to a garage. He wouldn't take money off me, and it only cost me 150 baht for a new inner tube. I don't know if that's expensive or not - but it was a bargain to me when I was tired and wanted to get home.

I have caught a taxi like this upon arrival for years, even before the barriers were set up. Can't see why anyone would consider you a cheap Charlie! You avoid all the scammers, queues, paperwork and fees and depart immediately. Why anyone would be criticised for showing some initiative is beyond my comprehension.

I have also been doing that since 1988 almost every trip. At the start it was about the money but then became about the time saved. I used the airport taxi rank a few times when the queues were very short.

Though now, for the last few years, we have a family friend, who is a taxi driver, who meets us so there is no wait at all.

Ok - so, you were successful in saving a pittance, while cheating the airport of their 50 baht or the taxi drivers, who probably make less in a day than you do in an hour -

but you say that it is about the time - so, you jumped a queue and screwed everyone who was rightfully in front of you - - and you are telling this man you are going to be his friend… really? Do you now visit his family on Sundays? Or was that just a lie to ingratiate yourself?

You are bargaining like the dickens to save 50 baht for your video performance and he is bargaining for his livelihood.

And when so many people on this forum complain and often legitimately too about being taken by a Thai - here is a seemingly honest fellow making a game of beating the system, all for a pittance - - so, farang cheat the service people too and lie to them, but of course, it is different.

Before I retired last year I worked in the middle east and traveled to my family in Thailand 3 or 4 times a year and did the upstairs taxi thing for the last 4 or 5 years.

Before you all jump up and down and call me a skinflint etc. hear me out.

I live fairly close to the airport (Rom Klow, about 15 mins in a taxi) and if you use the airport taxi's for a short journey they get pretty upset as they sometimes wait a considerable time before getting a fare and feel such a short journey is not worth the airport fee and the journey back to the airport where they have to wait in line again.

I recently had family members come on holiday and because of the suitcases etc we used the airport taxi service. The driver was definitely NOT amused and loudly proclaimed his displeasure. Unfortunately we already had our ticket which he was obliged to honour. Yes he got a reasonable tip but the fact remains, sometimes it is beneficial to all to use the upstairs option.

PS. Never once had an upstairs taxi driver try to scam me for the airport 50 Baht as in the video. Always been straight on the meter and the usual tip.

What time did you arrive? I have to say that i'm a little embarrassed, being quite similar by definition (We're 20's / love travelling / 3rd time going back to LOS this year). That said, I think we have different budgets. I hate long flights, so travel business... the flight alone was probably more than your whole trip. Last time we landed, the airport rail was running so we just hopped on that. Then changed into the other line and landed almost outside out place on Sukhumvit Rd.

My point is that it's guys like you that give the rest of us a bad name. No wonder people try to scam tourists, when they think that the tourists are just trying to scam them. Karma's a b1t(h, and she'll catch up with you. There is NOTHING wrong with being thrifty (I have often walked away from potential rip-off situations), but your video it just plan stupid for reasons mentioned above; Un-documented taxi ride / no receipt. Things could have gotten nasty very quickly, esp. if the airport police wanted to get involved. Do future travelers a favour and remove the video.

And for what it's worth, i've never had any issues with the Taxi's at the airport. (I've taken maybe 10 / 15). Granted, one time the guy was a little slow to put on his meter (hoping we wouldn't notice or were first timers), but once I politely pointed at it, he turned it on.

You will really impress me when you split a cab sucessfully. In Phuket the cab stand made the mistake of telling me and a couple I didn't know to wait for cabs. I casually asked where they were going, and low and behold we had the same destination. I offered to split and they agreed. I initially said three ways as there was two of them and one of me but relented to a 50%-50% after a mild protest. Their driver now ready, tells them to get in. We all jump in the cab. You should have seen the drivers face. I said in Thai "three chairs three asses, start driving". He did. The fare was metered at 800 plus the 100 airport tax so half was a good score.

Alt where in the video was I trying to scam the taxi driver? I simply said we would pay the metered fare and would not pay a premium... As I've said I chose to give him a tip (can't remember how much, I rounded it up and think it was between 30-40 baht). At home do you pay random amounts added on as not to scam people?

I flew with the cheapest airline as I usually do. Air China - cost me about £330 return. On flights I take a few prescribed diazepam and fall asleep so it makes no difference to me. If I was a millionaire I might see if differently. But that's just a personal preference.

One thing though - what is the obsession with receipts from taxis for security reasons? When you get in a tuk tuk or other taxi do you get a receipt before travelling? That's a genuine question. Apart from when travelling for work I've never asked for receipts or been given one. And if someone was going to attack or rob you I'd assume they would take the receipt anyway.

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I guess different people have different priorities.

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad smile.png have a good day mate.

Actually a very good point and shows that the driver still tried to rip you for the airport charge even though he wouldn't be paying it.

You spoke to him very fast in English and I'm sure he didn't understand all and if I here correctly at the end of the video he gets you to pay for highway tolls so 1 to you and 1 to him.

Personally I wouldn't ask him to use the meter and I would agree the total price before getting in the car. Never been ripped yet. Please don't forget how cheap a BKK taxi is as opposed to example a London cab.

In my earlier years here I wanted to go from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang, and when we arrived I gave him 1000 baht since I didn't have smaller denominations. We got the bags out of the back of the taxi then where I was expecting some change he jumped in and wheel span away. Hope he made good use of it.

In the above case I think I'd have took the middle ground and say "okay, meter and 50 baht but no tip". I also suspect that because Sammy was talking fairly quickly, the driver might not have picked up on everything he was saying. In genuine use of meter I would tip handsomely, because BKK traffic can be slow and they wouldn't be able to fit many jobs into a day.

For room electricity, I wouldn't run AirCon if I wasn't there, even if I could, as that would be very disrespectful. It must be one of the larger overheads on hotels and guesthouses.

Spot on!

Alt where in the video was I trying to scam the taxi driver? I simply said we would pay the metered fare and would not pay a premium... As I've said I chose to give him a tip (can't remember how much, I rounded it up and think it was between 30-40 baht). At home do you pay random amounts added on as not to scam people?

I flew with the cheapest airline as I usually do. Air China - cost me about £330 return. On flights I take a few prescribed diazepam and fall asleep so it makes no difference to me. If I was a millionaire I might see if differently. But that's just a personal preference.

One thing though - what is the obsession with receipts from taxis for security reasons? When you get in a tuk tuk or other taxi do you get a receipt before travelling? That's a genuine question. Apart from when travelling for work I've never asked for receipts or been given one. And if someone was going to attack or rob you I'd assume they would take the receipt anyway.

Cameras at the ready. Making a show of how to save one pound. I have also gone up to save time in the queue but I don't think you understand the way the system works here. If he can get a return drop with a couple of backpackers that can't speak the language and know their hotel is somewhere around Khao san rd he desrves the bonus as he cannot drive straight to it with vague directions. The taxi drivers here give an amazing service for small change so whether you tipped him or not pressuring him to drop the 50 baht won't get brownie points. It may promote your vid amongst the first timer backpackers who will probably try the same trick but hey ho if you think you can beat the system here you are wrong. Keep trying that one and they will simply stop on the motorway and tell you to walk. To be honest you would deserve it.

I have talked at length to many taxi drivers. Some have their own car which has to be serviced twice as often as a normal car and some rent from the owner at a premium. The one thing in common they have is that they spend very little time with family and a huge amount of time driving around in traffic jams for little money. I don't think you placed your video here for the wrong reasons and I believe it was about saving time and that you felt you made it OK by tipping him in the end but you are trying to promote a way of beating the driver. You should try and understand this is his livelyhood.

I hope you continue to enjoy your time here and over time understand there is a different set of rules I'm 18 years and still learning!

Can't see what is the problem, wanting to safe some Money.. The big spenders in the forum, may continue their spending, but I will rather be named a cheap Charlie, and try to save a few quid. I know, I will be taken advantage of anyway..

It's not the issue of trying to save the 50bt that's my issue

It's the way the op does it & films it!!

We all know you can barter in LOS but the op tried to give it 'large' by thinking he knew the way of LOS where in fact, and he doesn't realise it, he's embarrassed himself & his female friend by the way he did it. He thought his 'teaching video' was a tool for others to follow but I think it's had the opposite effect as who would want to go that way! Yes, I'm sure over time we've all had a laugh with a taxi driver but the way he thought he knew everything tells me he knows little about LOS and needs to wind his neck in & listen & learn a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant scamming the system, not the taxi driver. I don't mind paying the 50 baht airport fee as it's an efficient (imho) system... certainly better than it used to be.

I don't take tuk tuks, except once when I first arrived in BKK as they are fun at night.

For yours (and for anyone else reading), I always take a pic of the taxi I get, without exception. I've never needed to use it, thankfully. Either i'm lucky, or the taxi driver reckons it's not worth trying to rip me off.

It's not the issue of trying to save the 50bt that's my issue

It's the way the op does it & films it!!

We all know you can barter in LOS but the op tried to give it 'large' by thinking he knew the way of LOS where in fact, and he doesn't realise it, he's embarrassed himself & his female friend by the way he did it. He thought his 'teaching video' was a tool for others to follow but I think it's had the opposite effect as who would want to go that way! Yes, I'm sure over time we've all had a laugh with a taxi driver but the way he thought he knew everything tells me he knows little about LOS and needs to wind his neck in & listen & learn a bit.

I filmed it because I didn't know how to get there and thought others might be in the same position. I also filmed how to locate a particular part on a car years ago. Some people found that useful, around 20k people have watched it. For a mechanic specialised in that vehicle it would not be useful - for someone who is more experienced in travelling in Thailand my newer video won't help.

I don't think it's me who is claiming to be the expert on all things Thai... I'm just having a good time enjoying the country.

I meant scamming the system, not the taxi driver. I don't mind paying the 50 baht airport fee as it's an efficient (imho) system... certainly better than it used to be.

I don't take tuk tuks, except once when I first arrived in BKK as they are fun at night.

For yours (and for anyone else reading), I always take a pic of the taxi I get, without exception. I've never needed to use it, thankfully. Either i'm lucky, or the taxi driver reckons it's not worth trying to rip me off.

From what has been said the new system is efficient and works well. I was comparing it to June when I came and had a long queue. If that is no longer the case then people have less incentive to do what I did. So the system is working. Very few people will do this to save £1. So I applaud them for fixing what was a crappy system.

I actually think your last sentence is good advice. Especially for young/solo/female travellers in strange/foreign places. I'll add that to my video in the 'about' tab - or if I can work out how I'll add it in the video.

Last time i was at suvarnabhumi, I went up to departures and they have erected some sort of metal barriers that only open one way allowing passengers to enter the airport from the taxi zone….you can't go from airport to taxi alighting area.

Last time i was at suvarnabhumi, I went up to departures and they have erected some sort of metal barriers that only open one way allowing passengers to enter the airport from the taxi zone….you can't go from airport to taxi alighting area.

You can sort of but your not meant to!

Yes you can! The barriers can be climbed over or around.

The taxi driver was wrong to ask for the 50 baht service fee because he had just dropped off passengers at departures and was not in the taxi queue down below. However I accept that the driver would have to search for an unknown guest house in Kaosan rd and should be tipped for any time wasted in finding it.

And I also agree that the foreigner spoke too quickly and said too much. You need to speak slowly and be economical with words with people who speak only a few words of English, and check for comprehension.

Otherwise I too will continue to take taxis from departures rather than arrivals. It is more convenient and good for the taxi drivers because they don't need to queue down below. They just drop off one set of passengers and pick up another.

This thread is now hilarious.

The OP describes an old "trick" which has happened for years at Dom Muang and then Swampy. I have been doing it for at least 11 years.

At both places, just go up to the 4th floor ARRIVALS and pick up a taxi who is dropping people off. At Don Muang, go to the doors near the Taurus Coffee Bar at the far end.

The police, the security and the taxis all know what is happening.

At Swampy, there was an effort to make one-way gates to stop this practice, but you can sidle through or jump the gates. Taxi drivers are happy to help you pass your bags over.

True, it's not the money. You can wait up to an hour in the "real" taxi rank and then pay your 50b extra if you want to.

Thais also use this Arrivals taxi trick.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who thinks they have discovered a new thing.

Eddy

The one time I queued I expected everything to be on the up and up since it was a government run program. But the taxi driver refused to turn on his meter. I told him to stop so i could get out. He finally turned on the meter. Never again.

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I guess different people have different priorities.

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad :) have a good day mate.

Don't worry Sammy, he has a pop at everyone on here, he thinks he knows everything, he thinks he is the richest, and that we know nothing,..and nothing will change his mind, even if he is wrong he'll argue 'til the cows come home.

To prove you wrong, he would rather pay 50 bht to stand in a taxi queue for 1 hour or more...you can't win with mate, good luck.

This thread is now hilarious.

The OP describes an old "trick" which has happened for years at Dom Muang and then Swampy. I have been doing it for at least 11 years.

At both places, just go up to the 4th floor DEPARTURES (sorry, did I say ARRIVALS above? My mistake)

and pick up a taxi who is dropping people off. At Don Muang, go to the doors near the Taurus Coffee Bar at the far end.

The police, the security and the taxis all know what is happening. There is some sort of mini-mafia affair.

At Swampy, there was an effort to make one-way gates to stop this practice, but you can sidle through or jump the gates. Taxi drivers are happy to help you pass your bags over.

True, it's not the money. You can wait up to an hour in the "real" taxi rank and then pay your 50b extra if you want to.

Even when you do this 4th floor hop, you can still insist on meter (and you pay the two tolls into the city). If he does not accept your proposal for "meter", he must either sit and wait on the 4th floor (where he can get moved on if he waits around, despite the mini-mafia) OR he must drive down to the public queue and wait---or he drives back to BKK empty.

Many Thais also use this 4th floor taxi trick. Few Thais needing cabs will queue for 45 minutes in the public rank.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who thinks they have discovered a new thing.

Eddy

Archived