Video of how to save the 50 Baht and not have to queue for a taxi

sammym

It's not the issue of trying to save the 50bt that's my issue

It's the way the op does it & films it!!

We all know you can barter in LOS but the op tried to give it 'large' by thinking he knew the way of LOS where in fact, and he doesn't realise it, he's embarrassed himself & his female friend by the way he did it. He thought his 'teaching video' was a tool for others to follow but I think it's had the opposite effect as who would want to go that way! Yes, I'm sure over time we've all had a laugh with a taxi driver but the way he thought he knew everything tells me he knows little about LOS and needs to wind his neck in & listen & learn a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, he wasn't aiming the video at expats...have you heard of 'blogs'?

I think he was just showing 'newbies' to Thailand how to save time (and money), not the 'know-it-alls'. Shedloads of people make these videos to help others who have not been to that country before. Ok, so maybe he posted on the wrong forum, because it seems everyone on here knows everything, and doesn't need to be shown how to save time. I have done that before, but it's the saving time, not the money, that he is trying to get across.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is now hilarious.

The OP describes an old "trick" which has happened for years at Dom Muang and then Swampy. I have been doing it for at least 11 years.

At both places, just go up to the 4th floor DEPARTURES (sorry, did I say ARRIVALS above? My mistake)

and pick up a taxi who is dropping people off. At Don Muang, go to the doors near the Taurus Coffee Bar at the far end.

The police, the security and the taxis all know what is happening. There is some sort of mini-mafia affair.

At Swampy, there was an effort to make one-way gates to stop this practice, but you can sidle through or jump the gates. Taxi drivers are happy to help you pass your bags over.

True, it's not the money. You can wait up to an hour in the "real" taxi rank and then pay your 50b extra if you want to.

Even when you do this 4th floor hop, you can still insist on meter (and you pay the two tolls into the city). If he does not accept your proposal for "meter", he must either sit and wait on the 4th floor (where he can get moved on if he waits around, despite the mini-mafia) OR he must drive down to the public queue and wait---or he drives back to BKK empty.

Many Thais also use this 4th floor taxi trick. Few Thais needing cabs will queue for 45 minutes in the public rank.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who thinks they have discovered a new thing.

Eddy

See, you are now doing EXACTLY the same as the video....?

You are now telling people (in words) the same as Sammy did in his video blog...what's the difference?

The OP describes an old "trick" which has happened for years at Dom Muang and then Swampy. I have been doing it for at least 11 years.

At both places, just go up to the 4th floor DEPARTURES (sorry, did I say ARRIVALS above? My mistake)

and pick up a taxi who is dropping people off. At Don Muang, go to the doors near the Taurus Coffee Bar at the far end.

The police, the security and the taxis all know what is happening. There is some sort of mini-mafia affair.

At Swampy, there was an effort to make one-way gates to stop this practice, but you can sidle through or jump the gates. Taxi drivers are happy to help you pass your bags over.

True, it's not the money. You can wait up to an hour in the "real" taxi rank and then pay your 50b extra if you want to.

Even when you do this 4th floor hop, you can still insist on meter (and you pay the two tolls into the city). If he does not accept your proposal for "meter", he must either sit and wait on the 4th floor (where he can get moved on if he waits around, despite the mini-mafia) OR he must drive down to the public queue and wait---or he drives back to BKK empty.

Many Thais also use this 4th floor taxi trick. Few Thais needing cabs will queue for 45 minutes in the public rank.

Eddy

You are now telling people (in words) the same as Sammy did in his video blog...what's the difference?

The difference is he's letting us know that he knew about this first.

That's all this business is about. It's not about saving money or time - it's about a slightly pathetic desire to show how clever you are in 'beating the system'.

Eddy

That's all this business is about. It's not about saving money or time - it's about a slightly pathetic desire to show how clever you are in 'beating the system'.

I'm ex-SAS, we don't use airports....bwahahahaahaahaa

Eddy

Within 25 seconds (and nearly the first time thing I said) was: "I'd read online". I wasn't letting anyone know I knew about this first...

A more apt description would be: "Sammy claimed he'd read online how to do something, so recorded him trying to do it and put it online to show others incase they wanted to try it. I don't agree with what he did because it circumvented the system put in place to help/assist travellers like him".

Within 25 seconds (and nearly the first time thing I said) was: "I'd read online". I wasn't letting anyone know I knew about this first...

A more apt description would be: "Sammy claimed he'd read online how to do something, so recorded him trying to do it and put it online to show others incase they wanted to try it. I don't agree with what he did because it circumvented the system put in place to help/assist travellers like him".

I wasn't talking about you.

Apologies :) Read that all wrong on my phone.

See, you are now doing EXACTLY the same as the video....?You are now telling people (in words) the same as Sammy did in his video blog...what's the difference?

Mr Soibiker was referring to pauleddy's post, Sammy.

after a long haul u think oh i need to save 50b .... , the first thing you need to think is don't take money at the airport exchange money ; you will save money

last time at 11 am with my friend it took 5 minute to push the machine and got the paper for taxi and yeah we pay 50b

I totally agree with the sentiment of avoiding yet another long cue waiting for a taxi after spending the better part of 24 hours in planes and in cues to get on planes.Especially when the cue only leads to the idiotic computerized nonsense they have set up at Swampy that creates more delays than it resolves.

But my approach is a bit different...

When my last bag appears on the carousel, I click the Request Uber button on my phone and walk out through customs... about then I get a call from the driver and I tell him to meet me at arrivals level door 4. I walk out, he loads my bags in the trunk, and I'm on my way in a nice clean Camry. No strange odors, no war zone relic taxi with squealing brakes, worn out bushings and toasted wheel bearings... no politics or issan music blasting from the stereo....

That 30 minutes of comfort and quiet is worth every penny IMHO.

Maybe I should make a video...

Yo sammy are you in chiang mai now? We should go get some beers and food....actually i know this dope northern thai food spot hidden away in my hood near cmu....pm me if you wanna kick it.

Yes mate. I'll send a message now. We are having a chill day today just relaxing at the place we are staying. Lying on a sofa thinking about a beer. At the bar here it's 60 Baht (Julies guest house). If CMU means chang mai university - we don't have a bike today, after 6 days and riding to and from Pai my bum needed a rest, but would be definately happy to meet up for some beers smile.png .

Edit - it says I can't send you a message. You could add me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/sammort

Sam

The one time I queued I expected everything to be on the up and up since it was a government run program. But the taxi driver refused to turn on his meter. I told him to stop so i could get out. He finally turned on the meter. Never again.

I agree. I had trouble getting them to turn on the meter both leaving BKK and departing lower Suk for the airport. Next time I will travel lighter and take the train/BTS connection. Not the money, but the hassle factor.

SL

i am sure you sleep there right 4 beds Dorm, shared bathroom 90 b

555555555+

Even if I did, what difference would it make to you? I prefer to judge people by their personality rather than their bank balance.

I've never claimed to be rich or poor in this thread. As it happens when working at home I earn a reasonable salary. That doesn't mean I should conform to your view of how to spend my time and money.

As it happens I'm not in a dorm - but I sort of wish I was, for the social factor. I enjoy meeting new people. I had no problems sleeping around other people in the army. But as I'm here with my partner and I'm carrying a lot of fairly expensive equipment so it makes more sense to stay in a private room and meet people in the bar.

after a long haul u think oh i need to save 50b .... , the first thing you need to think is don't take money at the airport exchange money ; you will save money

last time at 11 am with my friend it took 5 minute to push the machine and got the paper for taxi and yeah we pay 50b

Perhaps if you used regular English I might better understand what you are trying to say.

Catching a taxi at departures is easy and beneficial to passengers and driver.

When I return to the airport from the place in which I always stay in Rangsit, I pay 34 baht for a 1+hr air-con bus trip to the airport rather than 400 - 500 baht for a taxi. I use songthaews, trains and buses in preference to taxis and eat street food. I am not poor but I am also not going to spend money unnecessarily.

When posters here boast about their wealth and their properties and the comfort of their lives, and condemn someone for taking a taxi from the departures area just to save 50 baht, I realise what it is I like and dislike about farangs in Thailand. Sure the guy who made the video talked too fast for a Thai speaker, but apart from that his desire to be economical with his money and time did not seem unreasonable.

I will continue to take taxis from the departure area rather than wait my turn below below in the official taxi queue.

Perhaps we also need a thread about the coupon food court at the airport which is tucked away at the end of the 1st floor. If you don't want to spend squillions of baht on food or beverages at the airport, this is a great place to eat and drink. Though if you own properties all over the world and have a villa with 5 bedrooms and bathrooms and a pool in Phuket, I guess there is no need to spend your money anywhere other than the over-priced restaurants at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Last time i was at suvarnabhumi, I went up to departures and they have erected some sort of metal barriers that only open one way allowing passengers to enter the airport from the taxi zone….you can't go from airport to taxi alighting area.

Yes you can! The barriers can be climbed over or around.

The taxi driver was wrong to ask for the 50 baht service fee because he had just dropped off passengers at departures and was not in the taxi queue down below. However I accept that the driver would have to search for an unknown guest house in Kaosan rd and should be tipped for any time wasted in finding it.

And I also agree that the foreigner spoke too quickly and said too much. You need to speak slowly and be economical with words with people who speak only a few words of English, and check for comprehension.

Otherwise I too will continue to take taxis from departures rather than arrivals. It is more convenient and good for the taxi drivers because they don't need to queue down below. They just drop off one set of passengers and pick up another.

This needs to remain a "little known tip" for it to not be shut down to all…..if everyone started heading to departures there would be chaos.

Ever since the train service started I don't take cabs….I like the BTS….gets me in the mood for later that night …looking at all those thai women.

Last time i was at suvarnabhumi, I went up to departures and they have erected some sort of metal barriers that only open one way allowing passengers to enter the airport from the taxi zone….you can't go from airport to taxi alighting area.

The taxi driver was wrong to ask for the 50 baht service fee because he had just dropped off passengers at departures and was not in the taxi queue down below. However I accept that the driver would have to search for an unknown guest house in Kaosan rd and should be tipped for any time wasted in finding it.

And I also agree that the foreigner spoke too quickly and said too much. You need to speak slowly and be economical with words with people who speak only a few words of English, and check for comprehension.

Otherwise I too will continue to take taxis from departures rather than arrivals. It is more convenient and good for the taxi drivers because they don't need to queue down below. They just drop off one set of passengers and pick up another.

This needs to remain a "little known tip" for it to not be shut down to all…..if everyone started heading to departures there would be chaos.

Ever since the train service started I don't take cabs….I like the BTS….gets me in the mood for later that night …looking at all those thai women.

I too would take the BTS if I wasn't staying in Rangsit. It is much more convenient for me to take a taxi. People staying in Kaosan Rd are also not serviced by BTS - taxis are their best option. Horses for courses. For some the BTS is the best option, for others it is not. Be reasonable instead of being totally subjective.

I too would take the BTS if I wasn't staying in Rangsit. It is much more convenient for me to take a taxi. People staying in Kaosan Rd are also not serviced by BTS - taxis are their best option. Horses for courses. For some the BTS is the best option, for others it is not. Be reasonable instead of being totally subjective.

I can't remember telling anyone what transport they should take into town….just saying what I do.

Several people have said it's better for the drivers.

It's not better for those drivers who play by the rules and queue up, only to lose customers to those who circumvent the system.

Considering the amount of whining people do here about dishonest taxi drivers, I'm surprised anyone would advocate this.

Several people have said it's better for the drivers.

It's not better for those drivers who play by the rules and queue up, only to lose customers to those who circumvent the system.

Considering the amount of whining people do here about dishonest taxi drivers, I'm surprised anyone would advocate this.

What a bunch of crap. A driver who has just dropped someone at the airport is happy to pick someone up in the departure's area. The vast majority of arriving passengers queue, pay the 50 baht and wait. Those few of us resourceful and energetic enough to head to departures, by-pass the barriers and grab a taxi at departures are entitled to benefit from our efforts.

I have always had honest, friendly drivers who have given no reason whatever for me to whine. Drivers who queue up would be the majority not lucky enough to meet someone like me as they drop off passengers who is willing and able to clamber over or around barriers. This is Thailand. There are rules and there are semi-legitimate ways around them.

Get off your high-horse and acknowledge that the odd person who circumvents the norm is hardly wrecking the whole system for either passengers or drivers. Very few people have the gumption or lack of heavy luggage to head up escalators, scout around barriers and negotiate directly with taxi drivers. If you cannot or do not want to do what I and some others do then at least have the decency to allow us to continue the practice without your unwarranted criticisms.

So freaking sad.

So after 19 hour flight, you would want to have more headache to save $1.50 just to see if you could save $1.50

I guess different people have different priorities.

I've said twice in this thread and atleast once in the video that it's not about the money. I could have gone and waited in a line with my bag on, then had someone fill in a form for me and then hand the form to someone else who then walked me to a car... I chose instead to stand on an escalator (could use lift) and walk 20m to talk for around 30 seconds to be on my way.

The video was aimed at people who wanted an easier way to get a cab from the airport. It's not for everyone. But respectfully - Thailand is probably the number one gap year destination on the planet. Travelling on the cheap is important for a lot of people who come here. If I'd have payed that 500 he asked originally that equates to 5 street food meals to a student.

Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad smile.png have a good day mate.

"Anyway - please don't look at my other videos of how to get the electricity to run without the card or you will think I'm really really sad"

get the electricity to run without the card = Is this legal? Do you do that in your home too?

Tell us more, interesting...

I have no idea if it's legal or not. I'm not a lawyer and know less about Thai Criminal Law than I do about English. I'd guess that if it was a major problem they would have notices saying not to do it. However life wouldn't be so miserable if you didn't find something to whinge and complain about would it... I've created a couple of video's to try and help people who are travelling and coming to Thailand. I have no problem if you don't like them - you can tell me. But seriously - you must have better things to do with your time than worry about ridiculous hypothetical legal arguments about stealing electricity via using a piece of paper rather than the piece of plastic provided.

Anyway - have a nice day mate. I'm getting a sleeper train later. I'll be breaking the rules by taking some alcohol with me. I'll share it with whoever else is on my train. I know it's incredibly naughty, but I'm a natural risk taker smile.png

Mmm,i can see a statistic here,won't take long with your attitude.I guess risk takers don't need insurance either.

You talk of pathetic arguments and then you go and contradict yourself... A moment it's air con and now it's not. How much I tip is immaterial... I could say 10k or 1 baht... But it wouldn't change the point about the original video... Which is where to get picked up if you want to avoid the fee and the queue.

Now going back to silly arguments... How long is the video, I don't know around 5 minutes. How many times does that go into thirty? If maths isn't your strong point you could square the number of minutes and be below your stupid 30 minute haggling figure.

Anyway - having a beer now. Have a nice evening, as I will smile.png

Yes my bad. I assumed you could afford air con room but after watching your video , turns out you can not even afford that but a fan room yet still need to cheat to run electricity for 24 hours, your words not mine.

You do not tip, it's just a fact .

Enjoy your beer, 7-11 selling alcohol times just started,make sure to stand by the door so you can get air con breeze when doors open.

Keep an eye out, they might sell discounted cans if someone drops it.

May be idea for new video, drop and damage cans to save further 2-5 baht. wink.png

How can you know what I can or cannot afford? If I'm comfortable and happy in a fan room why should I get an air con room because you perceive it to be better? Are you judging me because of your perception of my wealth (or lack of it), or because I "cheated" some electricity.

You need to look up the definition of a fact. If I tip or not is none of your business. However if you are confident in your assertion I'd give up running a hotel in a third world country and take up buying lottery tickets.

I do enjoy a beer from 7-11 though. I'm not a big drinker, but when I'm chilling on a balcony having a beer is nice. Does your beer taste better/worst depending on where it is purchased from? I'm not sure I'd want to purchase a broken bottle. But I'll bear it in mind.

Have you always been so sad and bitter? You are in an amazing country with loads to see. But you chose to come on the internet and be negative. Try being happy and seeing the good in things. It will make you a better person.

P.S. Where is your hotel? I'm travelling around I'd be happy to meet you and have a beer. In person I'm sure you are a nice bloke and we could get along. I'd even buy it!

Yes, in your video you clearly love fan room, hence the sweat, giggle.gif

While your offer is tempting, unfortunately my hotel might be little out of reach for you, i do not have fan rooms and prefer to avoid cheap charlies like you.

Stick to fan rooms and 7-11 for beer drinking, i am not a 7-11 kind of guy, and prices in the bars might be too expansive for you, unless you plan to smuggle few in from 7-11thumbsup.gif

Is that right,you can't bring drinks in from outside.I'm not here to make other farangs rich with their overpriced beer.I stick with drinking with the locals.

The one time I queued I expected everything to be on the up and up since it was a government run program. But the taxi driver refused to turn on his meter. I told him to stop so i could get out. He finally turned on the meter. Never again.

I agree. I had trouble getting them to turn on the meter both leaving BKK and departing lower Suk for the airport. Next time I will travel lighter and take the train/BTS connection. Not the money, but the hassle factor.

SL

In 40 years i have never had to ask to get the meter turned on,just lucky i guess.Many moons ago i would leave soi 3 and say Cowboy,50 baht,no meter,flagfall was 35 baht.He was going that way anyway and i got a short ride at peak hour and he trousered the 50 baht.

Archived