Visiting Krabi for a Week

ds85

Hey everyone,

In late January some friends and I will be visiting Krabi for a week and I am frankly overwhelmed by what to do, see, and stay. We are looking to have a chill and easy going time. Basically just lie by pools, snorkel, drink, rock climb, beaches, eat, and cliff jumping.

any advice or tips would be amazing. I have the Lonely Planet book and it is making my head spin.

If you can rent motorbikes/bicycles they have lots of great rides and will give you more options. For the best Thai food eat in Krabi the food in Ao Nang has been watered to suit mainly Scandanavian tastes. If you want to stay someplace farther afield try around Ao Thalane, Coconuts Guest House is nice. In general this area does not get a lot of crowds. Sit on top ocean kayaking is good but a lot of the equipment is pretty beat up so examine it well.

Sign up for a day trip and go island hopping and snorkeling. Day trips on long tail boats should cost less than 1000 baht per person, Speed boats costs a little over 1000 baht / person most include a light lunch. There are 2-3 different day trip packages that go to different islands.

I would not recommend Ao Nang unless nightlife is a priority. It's crowded, the beach there is ugly compared to many other places in Krabi, and it draws a lot of scammer types like on some parts of Phuket. North of Ao Nang there are some pretty beaches like Ao Siew and Khlong Mueang, though I'd recommend hitting them as a daytrip by motorbike rather than actually staying on them.

Railay is beautiful and a top spot for rock climbing... If you've got a group, renting a beach house at Raileh Beach Club could be a great option. It was the first tourism-related development on the peninsula and has an incredible location on one whole side of Railay West, which is a phenomenal beach. From Railay (or Ao Nang) you can take a day trip by longtail to Ko Poda and Ko Gai... I left Railay at 7am and was the first one to arrive at Talay Waek, an incredible sand bar that forms between Ko Gai and a couple of islets. That was really special, but by 9am it's already crowded with speedboats. If you do one of the package tours to those islands (they call that the Four Islands tour) or Ko Hong or Ko Phi Phi, expect the crowds to be so thick that it won't be enjoyable. That's especially true for January.

Also Krabi town can be fun for a night out -- it has some good little traveller bars, not the sleazy kind like in Ao Nang.

Then there are the bigger islands... Ko Lanta is beautiful with plenty of room to explore.

If you like waterfalls, you may like to take a trip off the beaten track, to Thungsong . They have a rock climbing school there as well, which the Royal family use. There's few waterfalls here, but the big one has seven tiers. Accommodation's very cheap. Lots of other stuff to do as well.

I was in ao nang last December/January, I definitely won't be going back, I found it very expensive especially over peak periods, the beaches are nice but for me that's about it and it's full of Muslims, It actually felt like I was in Europe, 1shop just outside ao nang didn't even sell alcohol, koh lanta was very beautiful and very chilled and not so expensive, really depends what your looking for

I can tell you where not to go and thats Ko Lanta....I made the mistake of going there in August (admittedly off season) one year and the hotel that Expedia so kindly let me book into was under complete refurbishment and my wife and I were one of two couples in a 300 room hotel!! Anyway the other couple left the next day and we left the day after having completed only 2 days of our 7 day trip. However we did muster some info from an english guy who ran a bar with his wife that "in season" it was mostly a scandinavian family type area, so probably not what you are looking for.... and thats besides the two ferries you have to catch from the mainland to get there.... however all of life is an experience :-)

Wat Tham Seua (Tiger Cave Temple) is definitely worth a look when in Krabi.

Best Temple I've been to.

If you got the energy there's 1200 steps up the mountain with great views over Krabi.

Monkeys just hang about on the hand rail on the way up totally unbothered by people.

Good Thai style restaurant on site.

A few K's north of Krabi.

A good day away from the beach holiday.

Railay is beautiful and a top spot for rock climbing...

I like Railay at lot. However, (1) the food available isn't particularly good, (2) alcohol is expensive, (3) you can see and do everything in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

young children i meant sorry

Koh Kwang's good if you want somewhere quiet for little children. There's cheap places to stay there or very expensive ones. The cheap ones are good though. You could be a minute from the beach in all of the ones that I know. I know there's a small place called Elephant's End, then there's Koh Kwang Resort which is very near it which is little houses in a garden set up. Both of these places are very clean and newly fitted out. Some parts of the beach there have rocks but there's a little island with boats just off the shore which you can walk out to at low tide. Food is well catered for with lots of international restaurants, but you can also get local stuff all over the place. I don't really like mega hotels, as they're too expensive, but again there are no end of them, but don't worry, they don't spoil the views, etc.. They all have swimming pools. What you'll find is that there's lots of people there, but they don't go out that much. Chinese stay in their rooms so there'll be a lot of rooms that are occupied but you won't be swamped with people all over the place. It's a predominantly Muslim area, and they're a bit more reserved. You can get taxis or bus taxis from there which won't cost a lot and they're always going into Krabbi Town or the more impressive places, but they're more like jungles with bad roads and people off their heads. Krabbi gets a lot of tourism as it's good. Make sure you have a good time.

Sign up for a day trip and go island hopping and snorkeling. Day trips on long tail boats should cost less than 1000 baht per person, Speed boats costs a little over 1000 baht / person most include a light lunch. There are 2-3 different day trip packages that go to different islands.

They shouldn't cost that much. Learn how to say "pang" like you mean it and the numbers will go down. Learn the numbers before you arrive. It's very easy and cuts all prices radically down.

which area do you recommend with you g children?

Holiday inn at Hat Napparat has an enormous pool that the kids would have fun with. From there a great day trip would be to walk to the National Marine reserve with lunch for all in a backpack, full day of that will have those kids wiped out and sleeping. Boats across the way to Railay (another daytrip).

Down by the marine reserve are Thai barbecue restaurants, a better option than pricey, not real great Ao Nang (unless the kids are freaking about going to MacDonalds!! Just don't tell them it's there :-).

• 1 month later...

I can tell you where not to go and thats Ko Lanta....I made the mistake of going there in August (admittedly off season) one year and the hotel that Expedia so kindly let me book into was under complete refurbishment and my wife and I were one of two couples in a 300 room hotel!! Anyway the other couple left the next day and we left the day after having completed only 2 days of our 7 day trip. However we did muster some info from an english guy who ran a bar with his wife that "in season" it was mostly a scandinavian family type area, so probably not what you are looking for.... and thats besides the two ferries you have to catch from the mainland to get there.... however all of life is an experience :-)

Is it really this bad . I am looking for info. about going there . How popular it is etc . The above post looks depressing and may change my plans to travel there .

I can tell you where not to go and thats Ko Lanta....I made the mistake of going there in August (admittedly off season) one year and the hotelarrow-10x10.png that Expedia so kindly let me book into was under complete refurbishment and my wife and I were one of two couples in a 300 room hotel!! Anyway the other couple left the next day and we left the day after having completed only 2 days of our 7 day trip. However we did muster some info from an english guy who ran a bar with his wife that "in season" it was mostly a scandinavian family type area, so probably not what you are looking for.... and thats besides the two ferries you have to catch from the mainland to get there.... however all of life is an experience :-)

Is it really this bad . I am looking for info. about going there . How popular it is etc . The above post looks depressing and may change my plans to travel there .

No, don't take that post as God's word. He got roped into one of those hotels, right on the main drag as you exit the ferry, that are consistently leased out to new owners who try a refurb, lose their dough, new leaseholder the following year, rinse and repeat. Constant state of disrepair.

Lanta has some beautiful beaches, some good restaurants too (Red Snapper, tell Joyce Grumpy says hi). The seafood restaurants Saladan Town right on the water, restaurant creaking and shifting with the tide, lovely. After dinner there walk around Saladan Town, get a banana pancake off the cart, grab a drink upstairs at a hip bar, name I'm forgetting now.

Lanta Casuarina is nice, for inexpensive on a really nice beach Bee Garden bungalows.

Archived