No Alcohol Sales Tomorrow, 27th..

jamie2009

I thought it was the end of a religious period when people have given up stuff like alcohol (my wife has done so - good on her to have stuck with it - hasn't rolled in drunk after midnight demanding sex for the last 3 monthstongue.png ).

Only in a madhouse like Thailand would they prevent the celebrants of Bhuddist lent from celebrating their abstinence.

Pffftt... waaaay ahead of you all.

http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

The site says there is a 'high' chance of no alcohol sales for the King's birthday, December 5th.

All bars have been open on this date for the past 7 or 8 years !

As there does not appear to have been an official announcement, my guess is that it will be business as usual.

According to this website there will be no alcohol sales. This is the first year that there has been no sales on this public holiday.

Today is a public holiday?

My Mrs will be hunting alcohol as she emerges from her 3 month abstention!

Today is not a public holiday.

Dry day today.... unless one has made other arrangements.

Bars, restaurants can't serve alcohol for 24 hours for the duration of Tuesday 27th October (midnight to midnight). Hotels are also prohibited from serving alcohol even to guests during this 24-hour period. I am interested in how bigger hotels with minibars in guest rooms handle this. Are the minibar fridges locked or emptied for the day?

The site says there is a 'high' chance of no alcohol sales for the King's birthday, December 5th.

As there does not appear to have been an official announcement, my guess is that it will be business as usual.

I stand corrected, I would say "it surprises me", but living in Thailand nothing surprises me.

By the way, it does not bother me before the 'can't you do without drink for 1 day?' brigade start

Bars, restaurants can't serve alcohol for 24 hours for the duration of Tuesday 27th October (midnight to midnight). Hotels are also prohibited from serving alcohol even to guests during this 24-hour period. I am interested in how bigger hotels with minibars in guest rooms handle this. Are the minibar fridges locked or emptied for the day?

I doubt it. There are no restrictions on drinking alcohol in your room or home.

I thought it was the end of a religious period when people have given up stuff like alcohol (my wife has done so - good on her to have stuck with it - hasn't rolled in drunk after midnight demanding sex for the last 3 monthstongue.png ).

Only in a madhouse like Thailand would they prevent the celebrants of Bhuddist lent from celebrating their abstinence.

How fortunate could one be? Nice peacful sleeps!

why do people always freak out about these alcohol banned days...this is Thailand, of course you can find a drink as long as a mom and pop shop is open..I mean do you really buy your booze at 7 or Lotus anyway.??

Or do without a few days of the year. Sorry, asking too much of some people.

There is an official announcement. I posted these in another topic.

From the PM's office - http://www.nationmul...e-30254434.html

And here - http://thailanddirec...-bars-thailand/

And here - thaizer.com

They don't serve it. You serve yourself. Or they "served" it when they stocked the fridge.

This is the General flexing his muscles with the anti alcohol lobby.

Never been closed for this event before.

Understand the 3 Buddhst holidays being closed but this is going too far.

Many farangs on holiday will be further perplexed & be looking elsewhere for next holiday

One of the biggest money earners Tourism being disregarded again.

The TAT must be tearing their hair out,Do u want tourism or not???

End of lent & His Majesty the Kings Birthday is supposed to be a celebration not an anti alcohol appeaser.

Shades of the mayor of Dubai here

why do people always freak out about these alcohol banned days...this is Thailand, of course you can find a drink as long as a mom and pop shop is open..I mean do you really buy your booze at 7 or Lotus anyway.??

I have never seen so many people so concerned about an alcohol-free day. With no stock at home, no friends with a stock at home, certainly no membership in clubs which may have open bars, and no knowledge of any other sources for alcohol--I guess a day without the chance to buy a Chang is terrifying for all the hand-to-mouth alkies.

Archived