No Alcohol Sales Tomorrow, 27th..

jamie2009

Sorry Smotherb,

I think you have missed 2 points

1. The general tourist wishing a glass of wine with dinner & then frequenting an entertainment area.

2. The hotel & entertainment industry as a whole who attract a lot of tourists here in the first place just losing out again.

Fully aware that us resident farangs have a good stock in but I for one do not like sitting in my cave drinking alone.

Just a social animal

Unbelievable. Anyone would think there are no suitable alternatives, such as food and water.facepalm.gif Just shows how alcohol destroys brain cells, planning one day ahead is apparently too much for some people.

The number of the 'no alcohol brigade' (reformed alcoholics who had to stop because they couldn't control it), that post on these topics baffles me.

Do the same kn*heads post on topics such as botany and birdwatching ? No, because they have no interest in them.

Just carry on with your sober life, probably in the middle of nowhere, and reminisce about the good times you enjoyed with the 'demon drink', before you lost control of it.

Unbelievable. Anyone would think there are no suitable alternatives, such as food and water.facepalm.gif Just shows how alcohol destroys brain cells, planning one day ahead is apparently too much for some people.

Not everyone is a Cheapo, with watered Leo beer from 7-11.

Some of us actually like to go to a bar and enjoy a drink.

Particularly we who fly in for a few days.

I just flew in to BKK yesterday, and was told in a bar that alcohol would stop from midnight to midnight.

I continue on tomorrow.

Dry day today.... unless one has made other arrangements.

Bars, restaurants can't serve alcohol for 24 hours for the duration of Tuesday 27th October (midnight to midnight). Hotels are also prohibited from serving alcohol even to guests during this 24-hour period. I am interested in how bigger hotels with minibars in guest rooms handle this. Are the minibar fridges locked or emptied for the day?

I doubt it. There are no restrictions on drinking alcohol in your room or home.

You are of course sublimely correct. My point was "Bars, restaurants can't serve alcohol for 24 hours for the duration of Tuesday 27th October (midnight to midnight). Hotels are also prohibited from serving alcohol even to guests during this 24-hour period."

Of course you can serve yourself anything at any time, that isn't what the restriction is about. It's about public consumption of alcohol. I even saw a couple of locals loading four slabs of Chang into a minibus at Klang and Third around 1 PM today. The beer wholesaler was still selling it but not serving it and the guys weren't about drinking it. But once they closed the door of the minibus....?

Dry day today.... unless one has made other arrangements.

Bars, restaurants can't serve alcohol for 24 hours for the duration of Tuesday 27th October (midnight to midnight). Hotels are also prohibited from serving alcohol even to guests during this 24-hour period. I am interested in how bigger hotels with minibars in guest rooms handle this. Are the minibar fridges locked or emptied for the day?

They don't serve it. You serve yourself. Or they "served" it when they stocked the fridge.

Yes, technically the hotel stocked the minibar the day before the ban and didn't restock it until the day after the ban so the guests served themselves and drank it in their rooms during the ban so nobody broke the law.

Not everyone is a Cheapo, with watered Leo beer from 7-11.

Some of us actually like to go to a bar and enjoy a drink.

Particularly we who fly in for a few days.

I just flew in to BKK yesterday, and was told in a bar that alcohol would stop from midnight to midnight.

I continue on tomorrow.

Yeah right. May come as a surprise to you, far more likely to get watered drinks at a bar than anywhere else. It's called increasing the profit margin.

The number of the 'no alcohol brigade' (reformed alcoholics who had to stop because they couldn't control it), that post on these topics baffles me.

Do the same kn*heads post on topics such as botany and birdwatching ? No, because they have no interest in them.

Just carry on with your sober life, probably in the middle of nowhere, and reminisce about the good times you enjoyed with the 'demon drink', before you lost control of it.

I'm equally baffled by the number of posters on TV who are in danger of severe bruising by jumping to conclusions totally unsupported by prior facts.

Did I say I was (a) reformed (B) an alcoholic? I enjoy a drink or two every day; however, have an alcohol-free day every so often to give my liver a rest. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere, Chiang Mai. Unless you are a Bangkok dweller who thinks the world revolves around that sinkhole. Please note, I'm being polite here.

I suggest you have an alcohol-free day every so often too, because your judgment is obviously impaired.

I'm equally baffled by the number of posters on TV who are in danger of severe bruising by jumping to conclusions totally unsupported by prior facts.

Did I say I was (a) reformed (cool.png an alcoholic? I enjoy a drink or two every day; however, have an alcohol-free day every so often to give my liver a rest. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere, Chiang Mai. Unless you are a Bangkok dweller who thinks the world revolves around that sinkhole. Please note, I'm being polite here.

I suggest you have an alcohol-free day every so often too, because your judgment is obviously impaired.

He made a point, supported by facts, that people post about this topic that doesn't interest them, for some reason. You haven't explained why they do.

Did I say I was (a) reformed (cool.png an alcoholic? I enjoy a drink or two every day; however, have an alcohol-free day every so often to give my liver a rest. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere, Chiang Mai. Unless you are a Bangkok dweller who thinks the world revolves around that sinkhole. Please note, I'm being polite here.

He made a point, supported by facts, that people post about this topic that doesn't interest them, for some reason. You haven't explained why they do.

What facts?

Presumably they do care, otherwise they wouldn't bother to post.

You would think, but no. Non-drinkers moralizing and projecting in an alcohol availability discussion does not equate to caring.

If I lost my mind, went onto a Justin Bieber discussion and told people they were mindless for listening to rubbish, that wouldn't signify caring about him hoping that his fans would magically develop musical taste. That would indicate that I have more issues than The Economist.

I seem to remember plenty of posts about the Koh Tao murders. Presumably they weren't all from people who enjoy killing backpackers.

You don't have to be on a particular side of an issue to be interested in it.

Rather a pathetic comparison, but no surprise there.

Your example was actual news about the unfortunate murders of 2 backpackers, hence it was in a NEWS sub-forum. I think most of us who live here browse through Thailand news quite regularly.

This topic, however, is in the Farang Pub sub-forum, and was not actual 'news', but merely a bit of information, aimed at certain people who it might affect, to advise them that the sale of alcohol was prohibited on the said day.

There are many sub-forums on here, and quite frankly, I only visit the ones that interest me, or, if someone is looking for information and I can possibly be helpful, I will share that information with the person enquiring.

Was in Hua Hin last night, it was like a ghost town, no drinks in restaurants even!. HH is a tourist destination, it must have a negative impact not selling alcohol in restaurants, most diners are not Buddhist, most not heavy drinkers but simply want to enjoy a glass of beer or wine with their meal on their holiday. This holiday has probably cost them a lot of hard earned money, their time in Thailand may well be short, especially if on a multi country tour, they may have a celebration on the 27th and may have planned for a night out. Surely this is the relevant issue not whether someone is an alcoholic or abstainer or whether or not you can get an alcoholic drink out of a coffee cup.

Was in Hua Hin last night, it was like a ghost town, no drinks in restaurants even!. HH is a tourist destination, it must have a negative impact not selling alcohol in restaurants, most diners are not Buddhist, most not heavy drinkers but simply want to enjoy a glass of beer or wine with their meal on their holiday. This holiday has probably cost them a lot of hard earned money, their time in Thailand may well be short, especially if on a multi country tour, they may have a celebration on the 27th and may have planned for a night out. Surely this is the relevant issue not whether someone is an alcoholic or abstainer or whether or not you can get an alcoholic drink out of a coffee cup.

...or they could have chosen to holiday in Saudi Arabia?

They should write their MP's when they get back home.

... they probably will anyway.

I imagine most tourists would just think 'what a quaint local oddity', and drink soft drinks for one night. Because normal people can happily go without drinking for a day.

I can, and do, happily go without drinking regularly, often venturing out once or twice a week.

However, I like to choose which days I wish to go out, not be dictated to by the powers that be.

It has never been a 'banned alcohol sales' day in the past, so why start now ?

I respect the official religious holidays having been here some time, but yesterday was a complete joke.

Sorry Smotherb,

I think you have missed 2 points

1. The general tourist wishing a glass of wine with dinner & then frequenting an entertainment area.

2. The hotel & entertainment industry as a whole who attract a lot of tourists here in the first place just losing out again.

Fully aware that us resident farangs have a good stock in but I for one do not like sitting in my cave drinking alone.

Just a social animal

The people on TV complaining about one day without alcohol are not tourists. They need to act as if they had friends and invite them over to party.

Since this is now history I'll close it.

But one final note.

Wifey bought 10 cold tins of Chang from the local Mom-and-Pop with no issues whilst chatting to the local cop who was buying cigarettes. A scene repeated throughout Thailand I imagine.

Laws? What laws?

Archived