Immigrating To Cambodia

Does anyone know what the procedure is for ex-pats who want to stay long term in Cambodia.

Lets take for example myself - as a farmer and engineer, what would the procedure be for me to settle in Cambodia, what are the land ownership rules like, what restrictions are in place, what are the min money requirements, what are the different types of visa ect ect...

Anyone have any insight on this?

Tim

I am a Thai PR - not moving, but am just curious - psotings on the forum in various places suggest its all a lot easier (which one would expect as the poorer a country is the more it likes to encourage the importation of skilled ex-pats).

If you get a tourist visa on entry then this can be renewed once for another 30 days. Then do a visa run to thailand.

Alternatively get a business visa on entry for $25 - no need to show that you plan to run a business. This can be renewed indefinately via agents. It is expensive (I think a one year extention is around $250) as the agents are required to paid tea-money. No such thing as re-entry permits.

(which one would expect as the poorer a country is the more it likes to encourage the importation of skilled ex-pats).

The US makes it very, very very easy for skilled expats to get US passports. It is a concious policy that really helps the US maintain its technological advantage.

(which one would expect as the poorer a country is the more it likes to encourage the importation of skilled ex-pats).

The US makes it very, very very easy for skilled expats to get US passports. It is a concious policy that really helps the US maintain its technological advantage.

So long as your skills fit into a range of skills that are needed or of which there is a shortage of - and in poor underdeveloped countries the range of skills required for economic/industrial developement are usually mean more are required and more are in shortage.

........ why cant you just read the statement in its context and not seek to find an example that misses the point. Would have helped if you had something to offer regards to original question? (i.e. living/working in Cambodia)

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

• 2 weeks later...

From a visit in march this year, I keep the impression that the country has still some way to go before the conditions become favorable for industrial development. There are two main hurdles:

* Corruption is widespread and can suffocate businesses. I guess that every business of significant size has to pay some sort of protection to the authorities to operate (most certainly foreigner-owned businesses). But maybe it's the same in Thailand? I'm not a business owner.

* Land ownership can be tricky. A lot of the land records have been destroyed or lost under the Khmer rouge regime, meaning that still today quite a few lands don't have legal ownership certificates, and therefore no government guarantee if someone with more money/better connections decides he wants the land, including the buildings that may be on it.

For foreigners wanting to stay long-term, the main starting point seems to be as expats working for governmental development agencies or NGOs. Also, the tourism sector is developing and some restaurants, hotels and resorts in Phnomh Penh and on the seaside are run by foreigners, or by Cambodians who have lived abroad and came back with money to invest.

Regarding paperwork, immigration laws seem less complicated than Thailand, but more bribes may be required.