Oil spill on Hua Hin beach

Hua Hin beach closed after oil and rubbish washes ashore

HUA HIN:-- Visitors to Hua Hin beach on Tuesday were shocked to find large amounts of oil and rubbish washed ashore.
Several kilometers of the beach, stretching as far down as Khao Takiab in the south of the town, had been covered in thick oil and debris.
The afternoon incoming tide then only seemed to make the situation worse, bringing with it more oil and rubbish.
Despite the beach being officially closed earlier in the afternoon, the contaminated water, debris and strong smell of oil was also not enough to put some people off from swimming in the sea.
A local official who was collecting samples from the contaminated water told Thaivisa.com that an investigation is underway to try and establish the source.

post-137452-0-25235700-1445936693_thumb.

tvn.png
-- 2015-10-27

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say based on the specific gravity of this hydrocarbon that it is bunker fuel and from a ship's bilge (without being able to taste it I can't be certain of the ship's home port). Also, by the way it has saturated some of the plastic bottles and the fairly consistent spread along the beach and tsking into account the tides that it occured approximately 4.3 nautical miles offshore. Furthermore, it is likely the next tide will bring in additional contaminant.

Lastly, by the indifference of those farang who are wading in the spill and based on the size of their bellies, I would say they are most likely Russian.

Apart from the oil all the other rubbish is a disgrace.

Are you kidding? We just spent a week in Samui and the beach in these photos has much less trash than Samui beaches.

My favorite activity was watching the local hotel staff rake the trash to the edge of their property for some other hotel staff to pick up...and so on...and so on.

The good news is the Thai fisherman had already removed all the marine life from the affected waters.

As it was easy to catch due to it floating upside down on top of the water, also no need for cooking oil later.

The main beach strip from Hua Hin town down to Koh Takiap is not that special, it is 'oh-kay' but has the most amount of people, rubbish and sharp rocks in the water (hence the name Hua Hin). Go a few KMs South and you will find Suan Son which is far quieter, cleaner and genuinely a better place to be imho.

Funny this could occur with 3-4 Navy boats in the vicinity on a constant basis. I bought here (condo) over 3 yrs ago and although have seen trash, oil (if that what it tests out to be) I've seen only in traces, leaking from marine engines/bilges I assumed. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come and hopefully not a fallout from the fishing practices crackdown.. Another distrubing sign is along the base of the mountains west of Hua Hin downtown. Every night (for concealment I'm assuming} I witness various companies?/hotels seemingly taking turns in burning trash all along the base of these hills. When the wind blows form the west you get quite the blend of chemical/organic smells occasionally reach my balcony I need to close my screen windows. Fortunately I have that option, but I do feel for all the children and Thai families living with these noxious fumes on a nightly basis. I've got to feel that long term health effects on on the way for these people and their children (especially considering the contribution from our southern neighbours recently). Since I've been living in the LOS for over 10 yrs now I'm under no illusion that unless someone very highly placed takes an interest, we're just going to have to live with these unfortunate conditions.

Serve time?????

This is Thailand. They will come up with some reason why the used oil and then blame someone else and then announce they are going to conduct the investigation next month and that a verdict is going to come in April 1.

What do you want to bet that nobody will serve time for this disaster?

What do you want to bet that nobody will even spend a day in court defending charges of being responsible for this?

Every year around this time there is trash spilled on the beaches of Hua Hin. Apparently the spills come from the nearest river Northside, after heavy rains all the way from China. This oil spill is most likely from the same origin. Usually the Hua Hin beach down to Kao Takiab is very clean and the garbage pickup on the beach very efficient. Most Russians that I meet on the beach are families, friendly and polite.

Went for a walk on Takiab beach about an hour ago and it is filthy. It is definitely an oil based substance. It is very thick in blobs where you can actually pick it up. But then it gets messy and hard to get off stuff like your feet or shoes. Had to use the clothes washing powder to remove it and it took some effort. The beach is looking terrible and it will greatly affect wildlife and being the start of the tourist season, there may be some very disappointed people if something isn't done soon.

bangkapi, on 27 Oct 2015 - 17:31, said:

What do you want to bet that nobody will serve time for this disaster?

What do you want to bet that nobody will even spend a day in court defending charges of being responsible for this?

As far as I know no charges were pressed over the oil spill on Koh Samet in Rayong 2 years ago by a PTT tanker so don't expect much if they don't even know who's responsible.

Archived