Lodging a complaint with UKVI

Does anybody know how or where you go about lodging a complaint against this hopeless organization.

In July in the belief that my wife's settlement visa expired in September I attempted to make an appointment for a fast track visa. I was promptly told that there were none. A second attempt widening the parameters also came up negative.

Now it transpired that the wife's visa was valid until mid November so last week I attempted to make another fast track appointment and again I was told that there were no appointments.

When my solicitor tried to make an appointment low and behold there was no end of appointments to chose from

I can only deduce that the log in that I created in my wife's name had some sort of block on it. Otherwise why was I being told there were no appointments when in fact there were.

There were appointments available at Croydon and Sheffield and I opted to accept Sheffield as the ones at Croydon were the following week. I also gather they are more human in Sheffield.

When for the third time I as barred from making and appointment I called my MPs office but nobody got back to me. I then sent a stinker of an email saying that I considered the failure by UKVI to allow me to book an appointment was a breach under article 8 of the EHRC. I also made a dig about him spending more time dealing with the Syrian refugee crisis that dealing with constituents issues as he is the Minister responsible.

He commented back that is my wife wasn't granted and flr visa then he would consider supporting action but that wasn't really the issue. The issue was about being put in the position where an application couldn't be made except by making a paper application. This was not an option due to travel arrangements and I had opted for the fast track. This option was initially denied to me.

Should I go straight to the top and make the complaint to Theresa May or is there anywhere else. The complaints that I have already made to Lunar House regarding being charged the NHS surcharge as a pre-requisite to making an appointment have gone completely unanswered.

I consider it my right to be able to sponsor my wife's application via a fast track appointment and I consider that right was abused.

Don't bother! Quite seriously!

Even via your MP you will not get a satisfactory response.The complaints section is based in Croydon, I can find the address if you are that determined.

I made the mistake of believing someone, somewhere would make some effort to deal with an issue. They will not so again, I say don't waste your time!

I totally understand your frustration and sympathise but this is an organisation that has little interest (or need) in customer service.

A complaint will have little or no impact on a department that is sinking under poor service and complaints.

Take a deep breath, start with a cup of tea, then something stronger and accept that you are powerless!

Then move on with life!

(Going to the top will have absolutely no more impact than going directly to them. All complaints are fielded by the same people eventually!)

Edited by bobrussell

Don't bother! Quite seriously!

Even via your MP you will not get a satisfactory response.The complaints section is based in Croydon, I can find the address if you are that determined.

I made the mistake of believing someone, somewhere would make some effort to deal with an issue. They will not so again, I say don't waste your time!

I totally understand your frustration and sympathise but this is an organisation that has little interest (or need) in customer service.

A complaint will have little or no impact on a department that is sinking under poor service and complaints.

Take a deep breath, start with a cup of tea, then something stronger and accept that you are powerless!

Then move on with life!

(Going to the top will have absolutely no more impact than going directly to them. All complaints are fielded by the same people eventually!)

You are absolutely right of course. I wrote to Croydon about getting a refund on the NHS surcharge but of course got no response. Just sticks in my throat somewhat that my MP is busy dealing with the Syrian crisis and can't give two hoots about his own constituents. UKVI clearly has a two tier application process.

There is absolutely no point in "going to the top", your letter wont even get past the correspondence unit, in the highly unlikely chance that it did reach the office of Ms May, it wouldn't reach her eyes, just some lowly civil servant in her directorate.

There is a pecking order in the way correspondence is prioritised, us mere mortals are somewhat near the bottom of that order.

I consider it my right to be able to sponsor my wife's application via a fast track appointment and I consider that right was abused.

You need to get up, and in, earlier, Trevor. You were only denied by your own tardiness.

The world doesn't revolve around you, my friend.

As per usual, another load of nonsense plus talking down to people from you wooly.

Where do you get that the OP was only denied by his own tardiness? It seems to me he was early rather than late. He thought his wife's visa expired in September when it was actually November so he was early.

Trevor, I agree with most of the other posts here that it is very difficult to complain to UKVI/Home Office/HMG. I went through that process with problems with my previous wife's visa (take note wooly) and ended up suing the Home Office and lost. The only 2 avenues that might bring some success are complaints to the European Court of Human Rights or The Ombudsman (not sure which ombudsman though).

Good luck.

It is very easy to complain but very difficult to get a satisfactory result that shows they have read, understood and accepted that complaint.

I would very much doubt that there are sinister motives. They would have to give a toss to go to that effort. They don't and feel only limited need to account for actions, even to MP's. There is a specific department dealing with MP complaints.

I complained (vociferously!) when my wife's best friend was refused a visa/EEA permit despite being a long-term resident in Switzerland, with two children and married to a multimillionaire! The lady that spoke to our MP agreed it was somewhat strange but by the time a written reply arrived it pretty much stated she should apply again! I intended to go to the Parliamentary Ombudsman (unless I could find someone more appropriate!) but the friend and husband had decided they would have nothing more to do with the UK so the thousands in holiday money was spent in Paris and Disney. UK PLC was the loser!!

Complaining will do very little, they will not listen, they do not have to, plus they have teams who's job is to fob people off!

I would very much doubt that there are sinister motives. They would have to give a toss to go to that effort. They don't and feel only limited need to account for actions, even to MP's. There is a specific department dealing with MP complaints.

I agree. I know from a previous complaint against a Government Dept how they so easily get away with sticking two fingers up the a democratically elected representative and just how ineffective an MP is.

What did surprise me though is how they blatantly lie to save face.

Agree with anyone. The system is designed to stop anyone getting through easily for help: complaints will at best be treated (tardily) to a 'pick an answer that deflects any criticsim' from the book of answers.

Immigration is one of the most impervious organisations to helpfulness and complaint handling known on this earth

• Like 1