Young-adult, Thai attitudes about becoming teachers.....

bangmai

I do most of my drinking at Thai places, as the promos are always better than the western places. It tends to be a younger crowd; college age or recently finished. This one place I go to, the only English speakers are members of a band that regularly preform at the bar/restaurant. They're very friendly, good guys, pretty easy going. The singer is a big guy, with a great soft voice. I think he is a third year university student. He comes across to me as a guy, who would make a good teacher; patient and well mannered.

We were chatting one afternoon, and I asked him if he had ever considered teaching. I think he would have thought about becoming a member of the Bomb Squad in Yala a little longer. He obviously didn't want anything to do with it.

Is this a common attitude of this generation of Thais? I thought Ajarns were highly respected members of society. Has that all gone out the window?

Did I just misjudge this young adult, or are times really changing? What have you heard them say about becoming teachers?

Usually, my career advice is a lot more well received.

It is easy to misinterpret what people say. If he is third year university the chances are that he has a career mapped out and it isn't teaching. If you were shooting for a job where money is the commodity and someone asked; Why not teach? What would be your answer?

If he's 3rd year he's already studying something else, and not education.

It's not a wise career choice anyway. There is a HUGE surplus of education graduates in Thailand, most can not get teaching jobs. Every decent job will have tons of people applying. If they really want to be a teacher lots of people have to settle for jobs at like 7k and hope they can get a better job with experience. They could make twice that in a factory.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Too-many-teaching-graduates-not-enough-good-teache-30202375.html

A senior official of the Education Ministry said recently that in four years' time, all teachers' colleges throughout the country will produce a total of 240,000 graduates. That number far exceeds the projected demand

Tons of people want to become teachers. Most of them can not, and being good at it will not secure you a job.

From the linked article:

The problem lies in the fact that teachers' colleges respond to students' desire to study teaching courses - not necessarily because they want to become good teachers but mostly because it's the easiest way to get a college degree.

To be fair, that's pretty much what I got from reading a dissertation on this topic too. Lower standards for teacher education programs than other faculties. Thus, for example if one wants to go to Chula but doesn't make it into their program of choice they can just pick education. Easy peasy mac and cheesy.

Thais have a healthy respect for the profession in part because education was originally delivered by monks. However, Thais also know that teachers make jack shit for money and thus many aren't so keen on the field. This is also why they look the other way so often on teachers moonlighting and tutoring their own students for money.

Why become a teacher in Thailand when you get paid almost nothing.

Why become many things when you get paid almost nothing.
Oh please spare us your insanity! What a crock you make. Thai teachers might only get about 10k or a little more in salary but after their forced tutoring classes they make closer to 25 or 30k a month. Then they have acces to a 2 million low interest house loan as well as insurance. If they made as little as you claim then how is it that almost all are driving decent cars. Minimum payments just for that is 5k or more

I agree that Education is a relatively easy major. It was at my Uni. The Elementary Ed Department was also a place for the math illiterate to hide, as only one math course was required: Math For Elementary Ed Teachers. I often thought that this alone accounted for the piss poor math scores in K-6 public schools in the US.

I disagree about the car thing, and I often read the same pile of baloney. Seems to be a Euro line of thought, as those of us, who grew up with GM no better. Nice car here often means high ratio consumer debt, and zero long term real estate investments. Sharing the road with morons? You'd likely be safer at Soi Cowboy. My dad told me he made 1.6 million THB in July, and has been retired since George H. Bush was President. The other night he was telling me about buying some touch-up paint on the internet and fixing some scratches on the '97 Taurus.

I see the report about the glut of grads, but doesn't that contradict the reports of so many reaching retirement age in the next five years?

Oh please spare us your insanity! What a crock you make. Thai teachers might only get about 10k or a little more in salary but after their forced tutoring classes they make closer to 25 or 30k a month. Then they have acces to a 2 million low interest house loan as well as insurance. If they made as little as you claim then how is it that almost all are driving decent cars. Minimum payments just for that is 5k or more

Thai teachers ( at government schools) might start with a low salary of about 9 K, depending on the school, but they have two evaluations per year, where they always get a pay raise.

After 15 years, they do have a decent salary compared to a 7 Eleven clerk. One of my colleagues has a monthly income of 58,679 baht, plus the opportunity to increase her "low salary" by an hour tutoring from 4 to 5 pm, where each kid "only pays 50 baht per hour"

But they have usually 30 to 40 kids and if you make your math, these teachers can easily make 1,500 baht in an hour, using the school facilities and material paid by others. Take 1,500 times five and you have additional 7,500 baht per week, or 30 K/ month. Tax free, of course.

If she's got 40, instead of 30 pupils, another 10 K per month will easily enable her to buy some more houses, a new car every year and traveling a lot isn't a big deal.

All provinces have their own Thai banks, it's easy to have a 2 million baht loan and let the money work. ( Building houses, etc..)

They have free medical health care, plus many other goodies. The story of the poor and underpaid Thai teachers is just a myth.

And before they retire, they'll usually be pushed up to the head of something with a huge pay raise that they'll receive a higher pension.

Just wondering why so many Americans have to do 2 jobs to pay their bills? Once they're in, they're good to go.

Thai teachers ( at government schools) might start with a low salary of about 9 K, depending on the school, but they have two evaluations per year, where they always get a pay raise.

After 15 years, they do have a decent salary compared to a 7 Eleven clerk. One of my colleagues has a monthly income of 58,679 baht, plus the opportunity to increase her "low salary" by an hour tutoring from 4 to 5 pm, where each kid "only pays 50 baht per hour"

But they have usually 30 to 40 kids and if you make your math, these teachers can easily make 1,500 baht in an hour, using the school facilities and material paid by others. Take 1,500 times five and you have additional 7,500 baht per week, or 30 K/ month. Tax free, of course.

If she's got 40, instead of 30 pupils, another 10 K per month will easily enable her to buy some more houses, a new car every year and traveling a lot isn't a big deal.

All provinces have their own Thai banks, it's easy to have a 2 million baht loan and let the money work. ( Building houses, etc..)

They have free medical health care, plus many other goodies. The story of the poor and underpaid Thai teachers is just a myth.

And before they retire, they'll usually be pushed up to the head of something with a huge pay raise that they'll receive a higher pension.

Just wondering why so many Americans have to do 2 jobs to pay their bills? Once they're in, they're good to go.

Only a civil servant at C9 level gets around 60K a month. My wife has been C8 for many years (she's not a teacher, but does earn extra money each month for various projects), and she is well over 50 years old now. C9 is very difficult to get an requires a fairly substantial research project. But I think the days of civil servants in education are long gone, alone with all of their benefits. Most of the younger ones are on contracts now.

I know for a fact that a young teacher formerly at my school was pulling in 27k a month. I've no details, never seen her but do know her pay.

I don't know what older teachers make must do know its enough for cars, homes and int'l trips. Many/most are single women.

I've witnessed in each school I've been at changes to directorship where select teachers get bumped up. I get the feeling that many positions are set up only to be held for 3-4 years.

Perhaps I project myself differently than others, but I've had four kids in four very different class levels this year - why are you here (this job is way beneath you)?

Now, before some of you take the oppty to respond - no doubt because I'm so out of place, lost and clueless in the classroom...

They were all some of the better students in each of said classes; it was more like - why has such a winner like yourself you settled for a loser job TEACHING in THAILAND?

Yeah, kids have little perspective of jobs and life but I think the Ss end up with some pretty atrocious foreign teachers.

These people see all the money on instagram, facebook, twitter, whatever......and NONE of them are teachers making 10,000 baht every 11-years. lol

Kids don't understand the importance of knowledge. I would guess some attain this thirst around the age of 35, while others may never have the time to study topics outside the proverbial sweat shop.

IF you can prove you are rich, then I think they will respect you. If not, they will feel you have failed in life. Maybe in a few decades they will think differently.

I would just learn how to throw a 110-mph fastball and make millions for a few years, then retire. simple. i've seen it on youtube.

Well, it depends. I met someone from a family of teachers (mother, sister) who is very good in English. No way, Jose!

Many students want to become teachers. Although they should know that there is so much waste and self-aggrandisement (endless time wasted to getting revered and assuring each other how valued Khun Kru or Ajarn ... is). The hirarchy. The barriers to entry (pay to get a job). The lack of a career even when someone truly excels as somehow it's all depending on someone's passport). Young teachers from top universities... Bet their TOEIC score is near 900. Not 1 Baht higher salary or some recognition for them).

Take the competitions and underhanded politics who wins. Some very good candidates may make 6th place.

Yes, they will get access to cheap loans.

All it takes is a bad boss to make them change career.

I witnessed elderly teachers instructing the best M4 students to do their very own job. It was shocking! No shame? Apparently, it's okay when students know they are better than their Thai English teachers? Why would these bright students want to become those teachers?!?

I agree that Education is a relatively easy major. It was at my Uni.

Certainly wasn't when I applied in my country of birth.Courses in engineering, technology etc required less points to get into.

I guess that it depends on the number of applicants also. It is quite a popular course, especially for females.

Archived