Just found out the police and municipality officials were looking for me

I got a call from a neighbor of mine today telling me that the police and municipality officials had stopped by. Apparently they stopped by another neighbors who is related to my landlord and runs the local tambone office. I'm really quite surprised because all my paperwork is right up to date work permit visa extension etc. Actually I was just picking up my new extended work permit at the labor board and wasn't home. I guess my question is, is this normal? I can understand immigration officials looking for me especially with the latest crackdowns and such but the police and municipality people? My address is the same as its been for two years and I did my most recent 90-day report just a month ago. Should I be showing any of my paperwork to the police and municipality or is that just for the immigration people?

Edited by wcoast

Well, where were you???!!! i'm kidding

They may want you to explain your #124 TV post.....no, no, kidding...

I post to generate MASSIVE interest in your thread and help you get answer quicker...

thank me now....and later, and always...

coffee1.gif

Which part of the country are you based in ?

What is your extension of stay based on ? Work or Marriage ?

If I were you , and you are certain everything is in order, I would just continue with my normal daily living routines and await development.

If the issue is important the officials will return and/or ask that you contact them.

The Police can, legally, request evidence of ID and your immigration status.

Is this really i big matter for anyone? Yes of course it is, but only for the one that have NOT everything in good order,

How can you question a country, that wants to check up their falangs living in their country, on different ways and means. Some of them retired men, some staying on extensions based on marriage, and some on reason for work.

If this would have been Sweden or whereever western country, I would LOVE to have my own IO calling on our foreigners, to check these guys up every now and than, No question about that.

Stop being paranoid, that is if you have clean flour in your "bag" of course!!

Glegolo

• Like 1

@glegelo

The issue is that we are being targeted as foreigners. This having house owners "register us" and documenting our every move and stay required by law to be reported....? You haven't read 1984 I take it.

To the OP, if you have nothing to hide/worry about, just let them find you and don't worry about it. Clearly you're not hiding, so if were important they'd have found you already.

BTW, my guess is this is just a routine check on foreigners staying in the area. Particularly because you're in a relatively out of the way spot. The same thing happened with me as well. They have a passed down initiate to document and confirm where we're all living. Had an officer a couple of times stopping me and documenting on some official sheet where I stayed etc...

• Like 1

"I would not worry about it In small towns Immigration has time on their hands and very often make spot checks to verify a persons situation"

Sounds correct - I have a family and in 8 years have never had an immigration visit or even have it mentioned, but I don't live in the countryside where things may be different.

I live in Surin and last week i was paid a visit from a senior police officer,in plain clothes.

He wanted copies of my passport and house yellow book

The only question he asked,was i happy in Thailand. I answered in Thai "mai me ben ha" no problems!

All went smoothly!!

• Like 2

@glegelo

The issue is that we are being targeted as foreigners. This having house owners "register us" and documenting our every move and stay required by law to be reported....? You haven't read 1984 I take it.

To the OP, if you have nothing to hide/worry about, just let them find you and don't worry about it. Clearly you're not hiding, so if were important they'd have found you already.

BTW, my guess is this is just a routine check on foreigners staying in the area. Particularly because you're in a relatively out of the way spot. The same thing happened with me as well. They have a passed down initiate to document and confirm where we're all living. Had an officer a couple of times stopping me and documenting on some official sheet where I stayed etc...

No I have not and do not intend to! But I can tell you that we are still laughing in the western world of you guys that ran around like headless chickens, after reading the stuff, and obviously still doing it..... By the way have you found big foot yet???

What in hell,,, for me... who cares... let them check... let them register....I DONT CARE..... I am a falang and they want to keep track of me, that is fine,,, it is their country not mine... and as I said, i would love my swedish I:officers doing the same, even in more extend....

Dont worry, relax, you guys reached the moon, but still afraid of the book 1984....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Here is a funny part. What makes you think their visit was about you? Or your visa?

They may have been doing rounds regarding other matters.

Did they tell your neighbor why they want to see you? Most likely no.

He / she saw them stop by, and of course theory developed into a fiction based on what one might think

This was my thought as well.

Here in Baja California (Mexico) I was surprised to find a couple of Federales at my door. They asked for ID. I was scared, having already overstayed. The immigration laws are not enforced in this part of northern Baja, but it seemed a suspicious neighbor had turned me in.

Nope. They were looking for a fugitive, who used to reside at my address.

I assured them I was planning to apply for residency -- they just laughed, shook my hand and left.

All clear!

@glegelo

No I have not and do not intend to! But I can tell you that we are still laughing in the western world of you guys that ran around like headless chickens, after reading the stuff, and obviously still doing it..... By the way have you found big foot yet???

What in hell,,, for me... who cares... let them check... let them register....I DONT CARE..... I am a falang and they want to keep track of me, that is fine,,, it is their country not mine... and as I said, i would love my swedish I:officers doing the same, even in more extend....

Dont worry, relax, you guys reached the moon, but still afraid of the book 1984....

Glegolo

Maybe change his username to ParanoidFalang.

Just another 'why do I have to follow the rules?' BS. Grow up and deal with it. Even your home country wants to keep tabs on you i.e.: drivers license, ID cards etc.

Edited by MadMuhummad

Is it clear that the whole purpose of their visit to the neighbor who runs the local tambon office was you? I doubt it - more likely it was a routine visit or visit for some other reason in the course of which they asked if there were any foreign residents and you were mentioned. And your neighbors jumped to the wrong conclusion.

They are certainly not "looking for you" because if they were they would have come to your home, which since they were in contact with your neighbors and tambon leader they surely knew the location of.

Police everywhere in the country have been told to be more vigilant about keeping tabs on foreigners. Nothing to worry about. Even if they do come to your place, still nothing to worry about, it will just have been because a superior hearing that they had identified that this village has a foreign resident told them to. Just chat and show your papers.

• Like 1

wcoast....dont worry, BUT change your Avatar Photo of small kids....Even if they are yours.

There are people here(Farlang types) that are always being watched for that very reason....Get the picture?

A lot of members dont realise that just about every post on here is monitored by the Officials in different departments....looking for pedos....etc etc.

• Like 1

wcoast....dont worry, BUT change your Avatar Photo of small kids....Even if they are yours.

There are people here(Farlang types) that are always being watched for that very reason....Get the picture?

A lot of members dont realise that just about every post on here is monitored by the Officials in different departments....looking for pedos....etc etc.

It's an innocent picture !! Perhaps he's a proud Dad.

That bottle Jack Daniels ! I take it you emptied it today.

• Like 2

Guys ..you have it all wrong.

The police and municipal officials want to talk to him and ask his advice about where the best Go Go bars are in Bangkok, before they make their upcoming weekend trip to the City Of Angels....as foreigners know best about such matters....... lol

Cheers

It's an innocent picture !! Perhaps he's a proud Dad.

That bottle Jack Daniels ! I take it you emptied it today.

And people are calling the OP paranoid??

I think we should all take a good look at weegee.!

Note to weege:

A lack of photos of children makes the think you are hiding something!cheesy.gif

• Like 1

End of saga story, so they were looking for current residence info, the reason most likely being that I left Thailand in March for 3 weeks to vacation in Vietnam, and my home info was never renewed or specifically restated during my 90 day reports, even tho I live in the same home. Apparently there was or might have been some error on my immigration file. All is well I redid my notification of residence papers with my landlord and submitted to the local immigration office.

• Like 1

While at a coffee shop a couple of weeks ago the local police came in and took pictures, had us fill out forms and look at photos of other frangs to see if we knew them. I figure the local police have some pressure on them to do their job. Then last week I had my extension from immigration visit. They came, sat on my deck, filled out forms and checked on "Line" about something. Had my wife roundup a couple of neighbors, more pictures. Never asked to see my passport, and on the way out, the leading officer turned and said " By the way, What is your name?"

I have no idea if you are joking - but I loved your post - you have a great sense of humor - carry on...

Is it clear that the whole purpose of their visit to the neighbor who runs the local tambon office was you? I doubt it - more likely it was a routine visit or visit for some other reason in the course of which they asked if there were any foreign residents and you were mentioned. And your neighbors jumped to the wrong conclusion.

They are certainly not "looking for you" because if they were they would have come to your home, which since they were in contact with your neighbors and tambon leader they surely knew the location of.

Police everywhere in the country have been told to be more vigilant about keeping tabs on foreigners. Nothing to worry about. Even if they do come to your place, still nothing to worry about, it will just have been because a superior hearing that they had identified that this village has a foreign resident told them to. Just chat and show your papers.

Fully agree with you Sheryl.

Just came back from Bangkok and my Mrs told me the Kamnan from our Tambon dropped by this morning and wanted to see the passports of every foreigner, including a copy of the visa and the last entry stamp. In our village we have several Lao, an American, a Turk, a French and me (German). Those details will be forwarded to the police at our Amphur,

It's all very routine and nothing to worry about.

Went today to Market Isaan and two cops shouted at me, Khun Mike, Khun Mike, Khun Mike. I looked at my Mrs and asked them who the <snip> are those cops and she said you was drunk with them last month at Nam Un Dam and they paid for all your drink. I didn't recognized them as they didn't used a uniform last time but cops and immigration officials are very easy going in Isaan and are almost part of the family.

• Like 1