Malaysia couple who abused Cambodian maid to hang

geovalin

A Malaysian couple was sentenced to death on Friday for the 2012 murder of their Cambodian maid, whom they had starved and abused.

Chew Tong, 46, and his wife Chin Chui Ling, 43, were sentenced by the Court of Appeal to death by hanging for murdering 23-year-old Mey Sichan from Kampong Thom province.

According to Malaysian newspaper the Star, the court heard how Sichan was denied food for a long period of time. The cause of death was “acute peritonitis due to a perforated gastric ulcer associated with abuses and neglect”, it said.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/malaysia-couple-who-abused-maid-hang

The likes of Saudi and the UAE should follow this as well. Some of the poor maids there are treated like dirt ! And worse. I don't have to write here some of the stuff that goes on as I'm pretty sure you can guess.

Good example also for Thailand. Countless Cambodians. Lao and Burmese get treated here like they have no human rights whatsoever.

A little less profit on construction and more dignity to those people would be a really great thing to happen for a start.

Outstanding. Agreed hang them. Self-entitled torturing little cretins. But it took an Asian Muslim country to exact this appropriate justice. In Europe they would have got a few years jail and a country club stay and a trip to the psyche doctor at the public's expense. Funny how what is deemed an appropriate response to such an heinous act by most people would be totally perverted in the so called "enlightened" Western world. Some thing is drastically wrong there. Now we shall see if Msia actually carries it out.

The likes of Saudi and the UAE should follow this as well. Some of the poor maids there are treated like dirt ! And worse. I don't have to write here some of the stuff that goes on as I'm pretty sure you can guess.

They possibly would if their names ended in ling, ching, wing, chew etc, not actually local kind of names, or you would not hear a lot about it.

They possibly would if their names ended in ling, ching, wing, chew etc, not actually local kind of names, or you would not hear a lot about it.

Malaysia is a racially divided country, with the majority Malays treating the ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indian populations very badly. Racially motivated attacks on Chinese or Indan shops is not uncommon, and is often met with half-hearted response by the police. This attitiude may have no bearing on the sentencing in this case, where the crime was despicable, but it would be interesting to compare the results from similar trials involving Malay defendants

Not only the maids but all the other workers as well...thousands of construction workers die every year in the Gulf States from heat exhaustion, accidents, you name it. Most foreign labor is treated badly, especially South Asians. And once they have you there "Kafala" keeps you from leaving...your "owners" have your passport and you can't leave, sometimes even after the contract expires. A real criminal enterprise.

"The government is currently preparing to end its ban on sending domestic workers to Malaysia, which it established in 2011 amid reports of abuse.

Sour said yesterday that he was unsure when the new agreement between the two countries would be signed. The government is currently preparing to end its ban on sending domestic workers to Malaysia, which it established in 2011 amid reports of abuse."

It only would be nice if the democratically elected governments of the Philippines and Indonesia cared as much about the well-being of their citizens as the 'evil dictator' of Cambodia cares about his people. A ban on sending workers to Saudi and UAE is long overdue. Oh wait, Saudi is the chair of the UN Human Rights Council. They would never do something that is evil or hypocritical.

Excuse me for being ever critical of the "journalism" that typically shows up here, and the depth and accuracy of the reporting. Neither the post nor the story I read following the link disclose WHERE this sentencing took place. One might assume such and such....maybe. But anyone who's learned how to write a news story will remember: "who, what, where, when, why and how."

Anyway, mai pen rai.... We've come to not expect too much from the news here.

Excuse me for being ever critical of the "journalism" that typically shows up here, and the depth and accuracy of the reporting. Neither the post nor the story I read following the link disclose WHERE this sentencing took place. One might assume such and such....maybe. But anyone who's learned how to write a news story will remember: "who, what, where, when, why and how."

If you're not happy with the journalism of the Phnom Penh Post why don't you address your concern to the, er, Phnom Penh Post?

WHERE did the sentencing take place? Malaysia, it's in the link.

Anyway, never mind, we've come to not expect much from posters here either.

I do not agree with hanging. It's just too easy.

I believe life without parole in solitary is best punishment

Yes well you could, if you feel so strongly, volunteer to take the burden from the taxpayer of accommodating, feeding and clothing them. Then pay their lawyers when they want to appeal. Then explain to the victim's family when they re-commit murder after they've been let out. Forfeit your life for taking a life sounds like justice to me.

The couple were found guilty in the Penang High Court in May 2013, for starving the maid to death along with physical assault, which occured in 2012, and each was sentenced to a term of 24 years.

On appeal, the Court of Appeal found them guilty of murder rather than the lesser charge of manslaughter, for which they were initally sentenced.

A new sentence was subtituted, namely death by hanging for both.

Their lawyer has now lodged a further appeal to the Federal Court.

Singaporeans, Honkies and Maylays have the worst track record for treating domestics….just because they are relatively better off than the other asian economies they think all other asians are their fracking serfs….there have been cases of scalding with boiling water and forcing maids to eat faeces.

Hanging seems a bit harsh but some sort of message needed to be sent.

Malaysia is a racially divided country, with the majority Malays treating the ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indian populations very badly. Racially motivated attacks on Chinese or Indan shops is not uncommon, and is often met with half-hearted response by the police. This attitiude may have no bearing on the sentencing in this case, where the crime was despicable, but it would be interesting to compare the results from similar trials involving Malay defendants

Was my first thought too. If it was a Muslim family it may not have ended this way. I used to live there and saw the immense racial divide between Chinese and Malays. Not pleasant.

They deserved to be punished but I just feel there is more to the punishment than the crime itself.

Archived