Bizarre twist in the 'Belgium girl rescued from Samui seas' story

webfact

"...The rescue team member told the Samui Times he was rather reluctant to swim out 2 kilometres, however he realized he had to do something quickly".

As mentioned by chrisinth above, full credit to the very brave and sensible rescuer and the Dutch man at the resort.

This is certainly on a par with Krabi fisherman Chat Ubonchinda, who saved the Norwegian couple from the mud last month (http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/hero-thai-fisherman-rescues-norwegian-couple-from-sinking-mud/117783/).

So, let us hope that the brave rescue worker does not remain anonymous, and that his deed is recognised by his countrymen.

Meanwhile, the 26-year-old Belgian tourist needs to be severely criticised for putting other people’s lives in danger through her actions. Especially as she repeated the exercise the next day, and was lucky to be rescued by Nanthapong Khacha-art in his fishing boat.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many dive centers and even more Dive instructors.

Every Dive Instructor is able to teach Rescue Diving.

Why in Koh Samui the dive centers not set up a Search and Rescue?

I did in Krabi with Tourist Rescue Police,

Small effort for dive centers.

Good Idea Khun Robert.

Last I heard there were 45 dive operators on Koh Tao.

They probably all have boats with radios.

It would be simple enough to set up a search and rescue team using those resources. Just needs someone to co-ordinate.

Over to you Koh Tao dive instructors! You make your money there - time to give something back.

Why she brought her life in danger is unclear, but it's good she got help and survived. Unexpected incidents can happen to everybody. About the mushrooms; that' absolutely no specific koh phanghan full moon party thing. Upon about 25 years ago nearly every restaurant/bar at chaweng- and lamai beach had magic mushsroom soups and omeletts on their menues, mushroomfarms everywhere. News were spread around that they (m.m.) got forbidden, because too many tourists without experience with hallucinogenics tried to swim to Vietnam or fly off the mountains. Locals didn't eat them, because they were afraid of loosing their mind, but were happy to provide them. Personally i'm too old for this now, but ages ago i really enjoyed them. Possibly more a problem with the synthetic stuff wich is sold nowadays (sometimes even not desired).

Either way a strange story, with her falling out with her bf the evening before, where was he during her 'fit' and her being 'spaced out' ?

He could have given better care, imho.

Reminds me of that English girl a short while ago who drowned in the hotel room pool on Koh Chang after a fall out with her bf.

Name 5 famous Belgium's

Thank you, I've been waiting for a "comedian" to come up with this one:

Jackie Ickx (6 times Le Mans winner)

Rene Magritte (considered by many as greatest Surrealist painter)

Georges Simenon (Author an creator of "Maigret")

Cesar Franck (Important and influential 19th century composer)

Eddy Merckx (11 times winner of Grand Tour cycle race, many say greatest cycle racer ever) He's usually 1st on most peoples "Great Belgians" list.

Jaques Brel (highly revered composer/songwriter, including the beautiful, distinctive and unforgettable "La Mer")

Herge (creator of "Tintin")

Oh I seemed to have named 7. That's because at the time of Cesar Francks birth (1822) Liege was part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. Belgium has only been in existence since 1830 so they were rather late starters in the "Great Figures of History" category.

You've got the other 5 + 1 so you won't run short in future.

Not heard of some or all of them? Just because you haven't heard of someone, it doesn't make them insignificant. It just makes you ignorant.

So many dive centers and even more Dive instructors.

Every Dive Instructor is able to teach Rescue Diving.

Why in Koh Samui the dive centers not set up a Search and Rescue?

I did in Krabi with Tourist Rescue Police,

Small effort for dive centers.

Good Idea Khun Robert.

Last I heard there were 45 dive operators on Koh Tao.

They probably all have boats with radios.

It would be simple enough to set up a search and rescue team using those resources. Just needs someone to co-ordinate.

Over to you Koh Tao dive instructors! You make your money there - time to give something back.

Don't you just love these people who demand that a part of society of their choosing should "give something back"? They're making a big assumption that those they are making demands of haven't made any contributions to society, I wonder what "tuanku" has contributed that puts him in a position to make demands of others?

I bet my bottom dollar this is another case of psychosis. Just like that naked woman on the bike in Bangkok the other week. The amount of young people in their 20s, particularly early 30s, suffering episodes in Thailand is very high. Will someone please do a documentary on this! What triggers it? Lack of sleep combined with the heat and in some cases sleeping pills or other drugs, I would assume.

Several factors can contribute to psychosis:

• Genetics. Many genes are associated with the development of psychosis, but just because a person has a gene doesn’t mean they will experience psychosis. Studies are still being conducted to determine the exact genes that cause psychosis.
  • Trauma. A traumatic event such as a death, war or sexual assault can trigger a psychotic episode. The type of trauma—as well as a person’s age—also affect whether a traumatic event will result in psychosis.
  • Substance use. The use marijuana, LSD, amphetamines and other substances can increase the risk of psychosis in people who are already vulnerable.
  • Physical illness or injury. Traumatic brain injuries, brain tumors, strokes, HIV and some brain diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and dementia can sometimes cause psychosis.

- See more at: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Psychosis#sthash.4arwObXK.dpuf

Name 5 famous Belgium's

Thank you, I've been waiting for a "comedian" to come up with this one:

Jackie Ickx (6 times Le Mans winner)

Rene Magritte (considered by many as greatest Surrealist painter)

Georges Simenon (Author an creator of "Maigret")

Cesar Franck (Important and influential 19th century composer)

Eddy Merckx (11 times winner of Grand Tour cycle race, many say greatest cycle racer ever) He's usually 1st on most peoples "Great Belgians" list.

Jaques Brel (highly revered composer/songwriter, including the beautiful, distinctive and unforgettable "La Mer")

Herge (creator of "Tintin")

Oh I seemed to have named 7. That's because at the time of Cesar Francks birth (1822) Liege was part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. Belgium has only been in existence since 1830 so they were rather late starters in the "Great Figures of History" category.

You've got the other 5 + 1 so you won't run short in future.

Not heard of some or all of them? Just because you haven't heard of someone, it doesn't make them insignificant. It just makes you ignorant.

It is a well known fact that one of the side effects of drugs is psychosis.

In my own life I have seen many dope smokers undergo psychosis.

One of my friends who used lots of LSD and maybe mushrooms too never came back from his trip mentally.

He later died of a heart attack from using Speed after many years of drug use and repeated episodes in mental institutions.

I met one Italian in Nepal who lost the plot like this and he came back to ground a few weeks later.

I can rattle off a whole list of friends and associates which all eventually had mental problems from drug use.

So if I add up all the people I know who used drugs and the amount I know who ended up losing their sanity it is maybe less than 1 in 100 but whenever it happens it is tragic for all those in the immediate family.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with our cultures that people think that creating temporary insanity is a good thing. The cost in lives lost is high and the black economy and crime is also a major part of the world economy.

I am saddened that this poor girl has to learn all this the hard way. I hope she is able to find her sanity again and it does not lead to a lifetime of mental illness.

She is very lucky she did not lose her life so I hope she is able to find her mind again, which maybe drifting in a sea of confusion for a long time.

One of my friends who used lots of LSD and maybe mushrooms too never came back from his trip mentally.

He later died of a heart attack from using Speed after many years of drug use and repeated episodes in mental institutions.

I met one Italian in Nepal who lost the plot like this and he came back to ground a few weeks later.

I can rattle off a whole list of friends and associates which all eventually had mental problems from drug use.

So if I add up all the people I know who used drugs and the amount I know who ended up losing their sanity it is maybe less than 1 in 100 but whenever it happens it is tragic for all those in the immediate family.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with our cultures that people think that creating temporary insanity is a good thing. The cost in lives lost is high and the black economy and crime is also a major part of the world economy.

I am saddened that this poor girl has to learn all this the hard way. I hope she is able to find her sanity again and it does not lead to a lifetime of mental illness.

She is very lucky she did not lose her life so I hope she is able to find her mind again, which maybe drifting in a sea of confusion for a long time.

"It is a well known fact that one of the side effects of drugs is psychosis."

yes and it is "well-known" that the number one drug for this is alcohol....do you drink?

BTW - remember the plural of anecdote isn't data.

The woman is immature to say the least. What a loser. Usually I expect more from such pretty and presumably reasonably educated 25-year-old women. (Yes, a combination of looks and education do tend to have an impact on people's lives, behavior, poise, especially women).

"It is a well known fact that one of the side effects of drugs is psychosis."

yes and it is "well-known" that the number one drug for this is alcohol....do you drink?

BTW - remember the plural of anecdote isn't data.

Yes sir...Alcohol and drugs or alcohol or drugs alone all too often do turn otherwise normal people into intoxicated morons.

I witnessed the alcohol and drug abuse also while it is not a pretty sight.

With the exception of Marijuana and LSD (so they argue ) the many other recreational drug substances consumed for the sole purpose of let us say "Intoxication" or "The High"...... all those substances are understood to be addicting or highly addicting besides creating a craving for their consumption.

Alcohol is the most problematic simply because it is widespread and socially acceptable to drink in moderation, or drink a lot, while alcoholics are more or less tolerated throughout the world as drinking and getting drunk is a common social affair that is practiced throughout the world.......and it is legal to do so in most countries.

On the other hand the recreational purpose drugs are kept illegal so there is far more social stigma surrounding the use of illegal substances to get high on rather than alcohol.

But lets say they were all legal for the sake of argument.

Unfortunately most of the recreational purpose drugs deemed as the "hard drugs", such as Heroin and Crack Cocaine and Crystal Meth are highly addicting in a short period of time and often enough catch the users unaware, so to speak, as to how quickly they can and do become dependent and addicted to the drug.

Alcohol on the other hand takes much longer to become addicted to as compared to the hard core recreational drugs while you would have to be drinking seriously large amounts of alcohol to be come addicted fast ....but still never as fast as the way Heroin or Crack Cocaine or Crystal Meth can leave a user addicted in a short period of time....as is the nature of the drugs, in part.

For alcohol,l that is one argument in its favor compared to the hard core recreational drugs along with being a liquid that people consume for refreshment while the intoxication is more or less regulated by the individuals consumption and gradually builds up in the blood stream.

Of course if you want to chug a lug a bottle of vodka then within 20 minutes you would be stumbling around thoroughly drunk or just fall down and near lifeless.

Meantime, the hard core recreational drugs are consumed for a specific purpose, that being, to get high on while the high is immediate or somewhat immediate and intense, depending on the specific narcotic ...but....happens as planned and welcomed by the drug users.

The drug users could take smaller dozes and get slightly high gradually, the same or similar way that a drinker will gradually consume more alcohol until they are drunk or good and drunk....but for the drug users or drug addict it is not that way rather the high arrives quickly, as planned and craved and welcomed.

Then if you make judgment on an alcoholic who is more or less very drunk all the time as compared to the drug addict who is very stoned all the time ...which would be worse ...in comparison.

Are the antics and or the consumption habits of a long time alcoholic any worse than the antics of a long time drug addict..... if you compare the 2 groups and have to make judgment as to which is more tolerable and or less problematic...all aspects considered and all factors entailed.

Cheers

"Are the antics and or the consumption habits of a long time alcoholic any worse than the antics of a long time drug addict."

Yes. That's a fact. Which I'm sure you COULD look up IF you wanted to, but you obviously prefer that EXTREMELY POPULAR alternative to factual knowledge.

Archived