Parenting In Cm:

JuniorExPat

I have been lurking around ThaiVisa for quite some time now and have often found useful info from the various discussions going on - thank you ThaiVisa.

Two threads have prompted me to jump in and join the fray - 'Cm schools' and 'Days Out'.

Chiang Mai has been my home now for a couple of years and I have been using my time wisely, so wisely in fact that I now have a beautiful 2 month old daughter! Included in the package come two step-children aged 7 and 11 and, of course, I love them all dearly and want to do the best for them that I can . . .

Schooling seems to be an absolute minefield in Thailand with constantly changing standards, I guess due to the nomadic nature of many of the teachers. The thread addressing Cm schools is useful and appears to back up my impression that any parent must keep a very, very close eye on any changes at their child's school - an obvious conclusion I know but seemingly even more important in this part of the world. The challenge I have set myself is for my daughter to eventually be brought up speaking British English with an English accent (as well as Thai) - no offence intended to our stateside cousins. A reasonable sized challenge I feel, considering the schools here seem to be dominated by American systems and accents, English language media also shares a similar domination and in our home we operate in three languages, English, Thai and Northern Thai!! Wish me luck please :D

Days Out naturally gained more attention from this sanuk seeking Daddy and I will definitely be exploring the Ob Khan Gorge in the near future - thank you chanchao.

Anyway - to get to the point . . . at last - how many parents are posting here? What groups, venues, shops, schools, nurseries, swimming pools, parks, restaurants et al can you recommend to a new parent? Is there enough interest here to set up a parenting forum or constant thread? Or at the very least create a thread that can be 'pinned' as a parenting resource . . . .

From my brief experience I have very little to offer in return but I am keen to get to know other people in similar situations.

So far I have discovered:

- Kad luang is THE place to get cheap reasonable quality clothes that are going to end up covered in and stained by dust and dirt!

- Central is the only place to get a decent pram albeit at a ridiculous price!

- Thai car dealers do not have a clue about baby safety seats. :D

- You really can get used to the smell of baby poo surprisingly quickly!! :o

JuniorExPat (ProudParanoidPapa) :D

> - Thai car dealers do not have a clue about baby safety seats.

It would already be quite something to see children inside the car cabin (instead of in the bed of a pick-up) AND sitting down on the rear seats, rather than all over the cabin.. :o

I think a solution could be to just have more children. Thailand is obviously a more hazardous place, so the number of offspring should increase to guarantee that at least some of them make it to adulthood. :D

Seriously, I think baby safety seats are best imported from wherever you come from. Should be able to fit them on any car with proper back seats (i.e. anything other than a single cab pick-up truck)

And if any young parents here are interested in my booklet "Duct Tape: an Essential Tool in Parenthood" then just yell. Still looking for a publisher.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Funnily enough I'm pretty sure that one car dealer did recommend using duct tape to deal with my safety concerns - not sure if he meant me or the baby . . . :o

'til later . . .

JuniorExPat (DoingMyBitForTheGenePoolAndDiminishingPopulation)

I have four children, aged 14, 12, 5 and 4 and hopefully no more although, if there were no bills, we would dearly love another ten or so!

. We bought our child seats from Central and fitted them ourselves (Me!). No real problem if you apply a bit of logic to the destruction sheet.

Am also keen for my kids to grow up with a British "Received" English accent and to study either Brit, Oz or IB curriculum at school. (Have previously tutored graduates who passed through US colleges and am afraid I have never been impressed.)

My elder two are lucky enough to have scolarships to British boarding schools, so I do not have to find much more than their air-fares. The two little ones are currently at Kiddy Bear preschool and we have found it to be wonderful for them. It is situates in the soi directly to the side of the big Honda dealership on Kaew Nawarat Road. They are due to leave this August and we have been researching heavily to find the best school to take them onwards.

Forgetting the American, German & Japanese schools etc. Lanna school has a British headmaster and runs a British curriculum. They are also investigating joining the IB but have not yet done so. IMHO they suffer due to almost no sports facilities.

The Prem Center is a fair way out but they have a good school bus service and easy possibility to share transport with other parents. They are also more expensive, but not dramatically so, than other local international schools. Their facilities are second to none in all respects.

I am trying to push my budget to afford Prem. If I can not I'll send them to Lanna for a few years and hopefully find a place at Prem or in the UK for their teenage years.

Good luck and enjoy every moment you can with yours. They grow up so fast and one always misses so much.

P :o

p1p - yep, I am also looking for that fabled money tree!

As far as my two step-children are concerned I have to find a sensible (regarding budget and education) way to move them out of the Thai government schooling system. Do you have any experience of or opinions about the government schools here?

Looks like Central may be winning yet more of my hard earned baht! Once the sting of the pram bill has worn off I'll venture back up those escalators and hunt down the elusive baby seats.

Thanks for your kind and helpful words.

'til later . . .

JuniorExPat (CheapCharlieSeeksGoldenGrail)

As far as my two step-children are concerned I have to find a sensible (regarding budget and education) way to move them out of the Thai government schooling system. Do you have any experience of or opinions about the government schools here?

No particular experience from your perspective although my inlaws are all in education at various levels here and I have Farang friends who have moved children from Thai to Inter.

My personal opinion of the standard of education enjoyed by the vast majority of our local bretheren here is, I'm afraid, not printable in such a way to pass the auto-censors. The entire system is designed to brain-wash, rather than educate. Students are generally punished for being anything other than "Yes-Kids". Initiative is frowned upon and free thought unheard of. (Enough before I write what I really think...)

I do not envy you your situation. There is no difficulty involved in moving a Thai child from Thai to International schooling however you have to ensure the child has sufficient grounding in English language. Tutoring in English is therefore frequently necessary prior to application and interview. You also have to find the funds. . .

Good luck

P

Yes - a very valid point - I'm all for Religious Education in the broad sense of the subject but will be doing my damndest (did I just make up that word?!) to avoid any hint of Religious Indoctrination into any single religion.

'til later . . .

JuniorExPat (AnAthiestWithAgnosticTendencies)

• 1 year later...

Saw some child safety seats for sale at Lotus, actually on display outside just to the right of the entrance to indoor parking. Maybe not top of the line stuff but take a look. We use the seat that we brought over from the States-- a pain to transport for sure but wouldn't leave home without it. Saw same model for sale at a Central in BKK for roughly the same price we paid back home - about $70.

Wife and I have been discussing ways to launch a child safety-seat campaign here. Constraints are that many families travel in pick-ups with limited seating; people go on outings in big groups and so seat space is a premium--thus having an adult sit with child on lap saves space; lack of affordable options. Partnering with schools and slightly older children (10 yo+) to push safety seats and take responsibility at home would make use of a national institution to press a broad message, and take advantage of the older sibling's role in looking after the nong. Need industry to help drive it, though, to bring seats into the 500 range, I would think.

Yes there are habits and cultural barriers and some will rail on that Thais ae too irresponsible, blind to safety, etc. But in my experience, once we strip away our prejudices, most of these obstacles can be overcome by practice and peer pressure.

An interesting thread. My Thai wife and I are thinking of a move to Chiang Mai in about 5 years time, by which time the kids will be 71/2 and 5 1/2. We are coming over to Thailand this week-end and after few days in BKK will spend a few days in CM. We have made arrangements to visit Prem while we are here. Have been trying to do as much research as possible on this forum and the net before coming over so we hope just to have a few days to see how we like the place. I think that if we didnt have children there would be no question that we would re-locate to Thailand and possibly CM, but the education question is a big one and also puts a significant dent in the finances. Like P1P, I would like to think that our budget will be able to afford somewhere like Prem. Hopefully after our visit we will be in a better position to evaluate, having actually seen the place first hand. Although I have been to Thailand several times this will actually be my first visit to Chiang Mai.

I would also be interested to know what others think of raising children in Thailand apart from the actually education viewpoint.

Brief update. My little ones are now both at Lanna International School, where the headmaster and many teachers are from the UK. They have been there for almost a year. We are very happy indeed with the school. The teaching staff in the junior school are both dedicated and very competent. I do reccomend it to others who are concerned about giving their offspring a British start in life.

Thats good to know especially from a parent who has experienced the school first hand. How do you think it compares to Prem and the other schools ( education and facilities), especially at the older level ? I was wondering about using another school while they were younger to save money as long as it didnt jeopardise their education in any way, and from what you say Lanna appears to be a viable alternative. How do Lanna's fees compare ? I just checked out their website, but they dont have any fees listed.

Cheers

I was wondering about using another school while they were younger to save money as long as it didnt jeopardise their education in any way, and from what you say Lanna appears to be a viable alternative. How do Lanna's fees compare ? I just checked out their website, but they dont have any fees listed.

Cheers

Me too! My boy will also hopefully be going to one of these schools in a few years, so any info on fees would be appreciated.

Cheers

I too am a parent in chiangmai, 3 years now. I have 2 young children at prem. I cannot say enough great things about the school. It is the only truelly international school I have encountered in Thailand. The teachers are of the absolute highest calibur. In regards to the post about sending students to a cheaper school at an early age I think personally this is a very big mistake. For most children the tone of their life as a student is set at a very early age. Starting at the earliest age to set a tone of critical thinking, creative exploration, and excitement in learning sets them up for a much more succesful lifelong learning experience. I have grown children too and the difference in the education my younger ones are getting at Prem from the IB approach as well as the exceptional staff is so evident.

On the safety seat note, we bought a van 5 years ago in Bangkok and tried to have seat belts installed. The garage just didn't seem to understand why. I tried to explain we needed to put the baby seat in they said no problem we will just give you a seat belt you can wrap around it :o It seems rather daunting to think of a safety seat campaign when you see newborns being carried on motorcycles. Economy as well as education and culture have a lot to do with it

I too am a parent in chiangmai, 3 years now. I have 2 young children at prem. I cannot say enough great things about the school. It is the only truelly international school I have encountered in Thailand. The teachers are of the absolute highest calibur. In regards to the post about sending students to a cheaper school at an early age I think personally this is a very big mistake. For most children the tone of their life as a student is set at a very early age. Starting at the earliest age to set a tone of critical thinking, creative exploration, and excitement in learning sets them up for a much more succesful lifelong learning experience. I have grown children too and the difference in the education my younger ones are getting at Prem from the IB approach as well as the exceptional staff is so evident.

On the safety seat note, we bought a van 5 years ago in Bangkok and tried to have seat belts installed. The garage just didn't seem to understand why. I tried to explain we needed to put the baby seat in they said no problem we will just give you a seat belt you can wrap around it  :o It seems rather daunting to think of a safety seat campaign when you see newborns being carried on motorcycles. Economy as well as education and culture have a lot to do with it

Sounds good, bggg, but how much?

I know Prem is all you write, and probably more. However it is currently beyond my budget to send my children there.

Lanna is currently costing me in the region of Bt 110K per annum, inclusive, for each of my children in the junior school.

The recently revised tuition fees at Lanna are Age 3-4 80K per annum, Age 5-6 100K per Annum, Age 7-10 120K per annum, Age 11-13 134K per annum, and Age 14 up 145K per annum. Additional items, (food etc.), come to under 10K per annum unless you need ESL or transport etc.

I'm afraid Prem's fees are about double those of Lanna, ranging from 200K+ (inclusive) for grade 1, (5-6 years), up to over 350 K for the seniors. I am intending to move my children there later, but I can not justify the commute, (well over an hour each way,) or afford the cost at present.

I know Prem is all you write, and probably more. However it is currently beyond my budget to send my children there.

Lanna is currently costing me in the region of Bt 110K per annum, inclusive, for each of my children in the junior school.

The recently revised tuition fees at Lanna are Age 3-4 80K per annum, Age 5-6 100K per Annum, Age 7-10 120K per annum, Age 11-13 134K per annum, and Age 14 up 145K per annum. Additional items, (food etc.), come to under 10K per annum unless you need ESL or transport etc.

I'm afraid Prem's fees are about double those of Lanna, ranging from 200K+ (inclusive) for grade 1, (5-6 years), up to over 350 K for the seniors. I am intending to move my children there later, but I can not justify the commute, (well over an hour each way,) or afford the cost at present.

Thanks for that info, p1p. Does Lanna have decent sporting, and music facilities?

Wow! I had no idea that tuition was that high:

Recently, some guy wanted to move to Pukhet; let's assume the prices there are similar; his kids were 10 and 14. Their combined tuition would be 285K, per year, averaging 24,000 baht per month. That's roughly the full monthly salary of most farang English teachers (with a few years' experience) in Chiang Mai.

I'm glad some people have the money. I still wonder how such an education in an international school in Thailand compares to an average suburban school back home.

This looks like the place to ask advice about first where to have my wife go to see a ob/gyn as she is 6mths pregnant and our only doctor is in BKK where we travel to monthly, for business not just the Dr. But I would feel better if we had a good hospital/doctor in Chiang Mai - any suggestions we live in Nong Hoi, but I'll drive wherever for the best doctors.

Second I am at the point of just starting to think about the languages our child will need to know. My wife is Essan, I'm an Americanfrom California. I think worrying about their accent English/American/Aussie is sort of an old school consideration. I'm fairly certain kids pick up their accent from their parents not their schools, but that could be not quite the whole story. I'll feel grateful if they're not trying to copy the hip-hop gangster slang like so many are - around the world. Since when did it become cool to sound like a complete moron...

Will my child be fluent in Thai if they don't attend any Thai schools, either public or private. Are there schools with mixed classes, I want him/her to have full communication in both Thai and English, for family, future life and business needs. As far as English v. American accents that won't make any difference to me, it must be more about the class system stuff that is much more important in the UK, again I'm sure he/she'll speak much like myself, hopefully better if put through better than my smalltown public school. Just as long as they don't say zet for the letter zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just want to make sure my child identifies with being both Thai and American. What's the best solution, say starting with pre-school?

I've got time to think that over. But for now could someone please recommend where to take my wife in for a check-up and meet a good doctor just in case of an emergency or early labor and the like. How's the hospital across from the Sheraton?

This looks like the place to ask advice about first where to have my wife go to see a ob/gyn as she is 6mths pregnant and our only doctor is in BKK where we travel to monthly, for business not just the Dr.  But I would feel better if we had a good hospital/doctor in Chiang Mai - any suggestions we live in Nong Hoi, but I'll drive wherever for the best doctors.

Recommend Dr Amnuay at Chiang Mai Ram (NW corner of moat).

This looks like the place to ask advice about first where to have my wife go to see a ob/gyn as she is 6mths pregnant and our only doctor is in BKK where we travel to monthly, for business not just the Dr.  But I would feel better if we had a good hospital/doctor in Chiang Mai - any suggestions we live in Nong Hoi, but I'll drive wherever for the best doctors.

I'm happy to second the recommendation for Dr Amnuay. He has helped my wife in the past.

Second I am at the point of just starting to think about the languages our child will need to know.  My wife is Essan, I'm an Americanfrom California.  I think worrying about their accent English/American/Aussie is sort of an old school consideration.  I'm fairly certain kids pick up their accent from their parents not their schools, but that could be not quite the whole story.  I'll feel grateful if they're not trying to copy the hip-hop gangster slang like so many are - around the world.  Since when did it become cool to sound like a complete moron...

Will my child be fluent in Thai if they don't attend any Thai schools, either public or private.  Are there schools with mixed classes, I want him/her to have full communication in both Thai and English, for family,  future life and business needs.  As far as English v. American accents that won't make any difference to me, it must be more about the class system stuff that is much more important in the UK, again I'm sure he/she'll speak much like myself, hopefully better if put through better than my smalltown public school.  Just as long as they don't say zet for the letter zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

All of my children have grown up bilingual English/Thai although both my wife and I tend to speak only English with them. Their Pee Liang have always been Thai and most friends speak Thai. Their classes have always been mixed Thai and non Thai.

I have found, however, that from about the age 6 they have a tendency to speak only English and my eldest two, 15 and 13 now refuse to speak Thai. They say they are English. (They are currently at school in England.)

I just want to make sure my child identifies with being both Thai and American.  What's the best solution, say starting with pre-school?

That will happen anyway. Nothing you can do will really change things very much, but they will be influenced by the people they know and see around them. As long as they can respect their Thai relatives as much as their non Thai same, they will be happy to relate to them. I fear my elder children reacted against a difficult grandmother & great-uncle. Therefore they do not want to be associated with them.

I've got time to think that over.  But for now could someone please recommend where to take my wife in for a check-up and meet a good doctor just in case of an emergency or early labor and the like.  How's the hospital across from the Sheraton?

My wife gave birth there and it was very good at the time. I have not been there for over five years, since her Ob/Gyn specialist moved away.

Thanks for that info, p1p. Does Lanna have decent sporting, and music facilities?

Best to contact the school for details, as I do not know how you would rate these things but the sports facilities are not as good as I would like them to be.

Ajarn Santi teaches music there, and he is very good.

Wow!  I had no idea that tuition was that high:

Recently, some guy wanted to move to Pukhet; let's assume the prices there are similar; his kids were 10 and 14.  Their combined tuition would be 285K, per year, averaging 24,000 baht per month.  That's roughly the full monthly salary of most farang English teachers (with a few years' experience) in Chiang Mai.

I'm glad some people have the money.  I still wonder how such an education in an international school in Thailand compares to an average suburban school back home.

I believe Phuket is generally more expensive than Chiang Mai. You can find Dulwich College fee scale Here.

Education quality varies in international schools, as it does in schools in the US, UK or elsewhere. The best international schools will compete with or surpass the very best schools anywhere else in the world.

I agree on the fee's. We have looked at a move to other areas of Thailand. Prem is cheaper or at least on par with the best of the other areas. Dulwich, ISB, etc. not everyone can afford the fee's but in my opinion if you can do it. YOu an dyour children will do nothing but benefit.

A far as accents, we tease our children about their british accents. When we go home (to America) my family often ask for translations. I have a friend who is returning home to America this summer she is devestated to think her children will ask an American teacher for a "rubber"

Don't kid yourself that they get most of their language from home. IT is quite a mix, I find most of the children speak a great mix of British, American, Aussie, and THainglish

The International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT) released a list of accredited schools in Thailand on May 4. According to their document, there are 72 international schools in Thailand, 44 of which are members of ISAT. Of those, only 22 are accredited by outside organizations. Some may be in the process of meeting the requirement to gain accreditation, and some may not have begun the process. Outside accreditation means the school has been audited and meets international standards.

List of accredited international schools

1 American Pacific International School

2 Chiang Mai International School

3 Ekamai International Schoool

4 International Community School

5 International School Bangkok

6 International School Eastern Seaboard

7 Nakorn Payap International School

8 Ruamrudee International School

9 Thai-Chinese International School

10 The American School of Bangkok

11 Bangkok International Academic School

12 Ramkhmhaeng Adventist international School

13 Bangkok Patana School

14 Dulwich International College

15 Lanna international School

16 St. John's International School

17 St. Stephen's International School, Kao Yai

18 The Regent's School

19 Christian German School Chiang Mai

20 KIS International School

21 St. Stephen's International School, Bangkok

22 Thai-Japanese Association School

Could you provide a link or a reference for your list?

This what is said on their website:

ISAT has over 67 member schools offering a range of curricula from American, British and International systems.

The quality of education offered at the International Schools Association of Thailand’s (ISAT) member schools has been recognized by accreditation organizations such as the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and the Council of International Schools (CIS).

http://www.isat.or.th/member_schools.asp

In your list 2 Chiang Mai international schools are missing: Grace & Prem. I'm quite sure that both are accredited and ISAT members. On the other hand there is at least one school on the list that is not accredired by its national (oversea) accreditation body.

The International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT) released a list of accredited schools in Thailand on May 4. According to their document, there are 72 international schools in Thailand, 44 of which are members of ISAT.  Of those, only 22 are accredited by outside organizations. Some may be in the process of meeting the requirement to gain accreditation, and some may not have begun the process. Outside accreditation means the school has been audited and meets international standards.

List of accredited international schools

1 American Pacific International School 

2 Chiang Mai International School 

3 Ekamai International Schoool

4 International Community School

5 International School Bangkok 

6 International School Eastern Seaboard 

7 Nakorn Payap International School 

8 Ruamrudee International School

9 Thai-Chinese International School 

10 The American School of Bangkok 

11 Bangkok International Academic School

12 Ramkhmhaeng Adventist international School

13 Bangkok Patana School

14 Dulwich International College

15 Lanna international School

16 St. John's International School 

17 St. Stephen's International School, Kao Yai

18 The Regent's School

19 Christian German School Chiang Mai

20 KIS International School

21 St. Stephen's International School, Bangkok

22 Thai-Japanese Association School

Sorry,

I did make a mistake on the numbers. There are 95 international schools (!), 72 of which are members of ISAT. The list of accredited schools remains 22; the list was sent as an Excel email attachment , which I saved as text so I could post it in this forum.

This information comes from the President of ISAT and was emailed to member schools on May 4. I know because I handle the email for one of them. I thought the info is relevant to this discussion.

As I said the schools listed are ones who have already received certification; the process takes several years and it could be those not listed are undergoing the review process now. It could also mean that they have not applied – I don’t know. I’m just sending along the info as it was sent by ISAT. If people have questions, they should check with the schools and ask to see the actual certification document.

ISAT 647/2005 May 4, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

Accreditation of International Schools in Thailand

This purpose of this letter is to provide you with information on the legal requirements and process for international schools in regards to

1) Overseas accreditation as required by the Office of Private Education Commission (OPEC)

2) Quality assurance as required by the Office of National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (Sor Mor Sor) and

3) The possibility of future joint accreditation by CIS, NEASC, WASC and Sor Mor Sor.

The agreements as hereby outlined, follow a series of fruitful meetings held between the above mentioned agencies and ISAT over the past few months. Points requiring action have been underlined for your attention.

1.      Overseas Accreditation (Required by OPEC, MOE)

MOE regulations state that all international schools must receive overseas accreditation within 6 years of receiving their license. Currently, there are 95 international schools, 72 of which are ISAT members, 22 of which have received accreditation from overseas agencies. The remaining non-accredited international schools are either in the process or haven’t yet started.

<snip> This lengthly document continues for another three pages of legal details.

At the end it is signed:

Yours sincerely,

Usa Somboon

President,

International Schools Association of Thailand

• 1 year later...
Saw some child safety seats for sale at Lotus, actually on display outside just to the right of the entrance to indoor parking. Maybe not top of the line stuff but take a look. We use the seat that we brought over from the States-- a pain to transport for sure but wouldn't leave home without it. Saw same model for sale at a Central in BKK for roughly the same price we paid back home - about $70.

Wife and I have been discussing ways to launch a child safety-seat campaign here. Constraints are that many families travel in pick-ups with limited seating; people go on outings in big groups and so seat space is a premium--thus having an adult sit with child on lap saves space; lack of affordable options. Partnering with schools and slightly older children (10 yo+) to push safety seats and take responsibility at home would make use of a national institution to press a broad message, and take advantage of the older sibling's role in looking after the nong. Need industry to help drive it, though, to bring seats into the 500 range, I would think.

Yes there are habits and cultural barriers and some will rail on that Thais ae too irresponsible, blind to safety, etc. But in my experience, once we strip away our prejudices, most of these obstacles can be overcome by practice and peer pressure.

Try this link geocitties.com/child saftey they will send baby seats to Thailand, free post and packaging. child safety seat cost from ",600 bhat

• 4 weeks later...