EPL TV Rights thailand 2016-19 Bein Sports

jjp

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAILAND

In Thailand, BeIns swoop strikes a blow to the incumbent, CTH.More than half of CTHs direct subs subscribe to its football package, although the operator has other sports to soften the blow, including Euro 2016, which could be complemented by other acquisitions and partnerships.Under new CEO Amarit Sukhavanij, CTH has also been pushing for more entertainment, kids and news content, to diversify its offering, broaden its audience base and compete more strongly with the market leader, TrueVisions.BeIn, meanwhile, now has a foothold and a few options to consider in one of Southeast Asias largest TV markets, where TV and video revenues are projected to grow at a 7% CAGR from 2015 to 2020.

》Potential partners include TrueVisions and CTH, as well as free-to-air, OTT and mobile operators, in one of Asias most diverse TV markets.《

http://www.mediabusinessasia.com/article.php?id=1577

If BeIn wants to be in the set top box business, they can.

But they do have some pretty good kit, like a box that will wirelessly transmit to any TV in your house.

They've also got a pretty mature streaming product, so I'd expect them to go after the IlikeHD's 365Sport's and so on.

And funnily enough they just added two Movie channels on 1st Nov, fk nose what that's all about.

http://bein.net/en/receivers/

And Astro must be crapping themselves too.

Bidding in Malaysia, meanwhile, has gone to a third round, as the Premier League pushes to squeeze more value from a market experiencing weak economic growth.

Malaysia’s biggest media company, pay-TV incumbent Astro, is a key contender, with BeIn and TM also believed to be pitching.

Surely the FA has some say over who actually transmits the product. Bein must have bid with a partner like True unless the FA wants the same problem all over again.

It's the Premier League. The FA have nothing to do with it. Bein already own PL rights in many regions. The Thai deal is smallfry.

Not disputing their creds as a license holder Brewster - but as we have seen it's all about the nuts and bolts of installation, billing and customer service. That needs a reliable Thai operation and True is the only such animal with a track record in the Thai market? The question mark is indicating that I stand to be corrected if someone knows of a high volume operator that has stood the test of time. Maybe an existing mobile operator would start with at least the infrastructure for billing and customer service but even they do not have the installation infrastructure.

I still can't believe the Premier League (ok - slip in the original post) would license the rights to an organisation without it being based on a defined delivery plan within the receiving country. Let's wait and see what the follow-up announcements bring.

Not disputing their creds as a license holder Brewster - but as we have seen it's all about the nuts and bolts of installation, billing and customer service. That needs a reliable Thai operation and True is the only such animal with a track record in the Thai market? The question mark is indicating that I stand to be corrected if someone knows of a high volume operator that has stood the test of time. Maybe an existing mobile operator would start with at least the infrastructure for billing and customer service but even they do not have the installation infrastructure.

I still can't believe the Premier League (ok - slip in the original post) would license the rights to an organisation without it being based on a defined delivery plan within the receiving country. Let's wait and see what the follow-up announcements bring.

You're right but Bein is huge, owned by Al Jazeera out of Dubai and already is the PL broadcaster in many territories. They have far bigger pockets than True. However they are new to Thailand and I agree it would make sense for them to do a sub-licensing deal with True.

As long as the PL receive a decent fee I doubt if they give a rat's fart about the quality of service provided in the end market. Not their problem. Their job is to sell the product, not handle its implementation. I think allowing an untested cowboy outfit like CTH to buy the service proves that beyond any doubt. Whoever pays most gets the product. End of.

Bein is owned by Al Jazeera. Truevisions currently carry it, but only on one channel. It will be interesting to see if they sell on the rights to a Thai broadcaster or set up their own platform in Thailand.

In the Middle East and Gulf region they offer an excellent service with 18 sports channels. This will certainly be an improvement. :)

Bein is owned by Al Jazeera. Truevisions currently carry it, but only on one channel. It will be interesting to see if they sell on the rights to a Thai broadcaster or set up their own platform in Thailand.

In the Middle East and Gulf region they offer an excellent service with 18 sports channels. This will certainly be an improvement. smile.png

Anything would be an improvement as long as crappy CTH are not involved in any way whatsoever. By that i mean, Bein selling on their rights or partnering up with a Thai broadcaster.

I'm still very satisfied with my inconsistent internet signal using 365sport which is a massive improvement compared with True & CTH. Mainly due to the ability to watch a match when it suits me, on demand.

http://www.mediabusinessasia.com/article.php?id=1577

Rights for the next cycle in Thailand are thought to have gone for less than US$300 million, about US$50 million less than the sum paid by CTH, Thailand’s second-biggest pay-TV operator, for matches from 2013-16.

In which case that would presumably mean - in theory at least - no substantial increases in fee subscriptions under the new 3-year deal here in LOS, as many of us had been fearing.

In the short term at least, I suspect that BEIN would most likely lease the rights to True. Even with the vast resources at their disposal, I really cannot see them having the logistical capabilities to set up a fully-fledged independent satellite/cable EPL coverage network here in LOS over the coming 9 months. Hopefully, they would have learnt from CTH's shambolic attempts in this regard this time 3 years ago - which, among a host of other things, resulted in no live PLTV channel coverage here in LOS for the first 6 months of the current agreement period.

However, were BEIN to win the rights to screen live EPL games from the start of next season, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they saw this as an opportunity and springboard for establishing a greater satellite/cable presence here in LOS, which would justify the launch of an independent network - meaning, of course, that they might then be able to ditch True after as soon as the first season. Definitely worth bearing in mind when/if considering any alternative packages with True, I think.

Come what may, though, I am assuming that BEIN would not wish to have their good name and reputation sullied through any association, at least in the short term, with that shambolic Dad's Army of a subscription TV service provider called CTH - whose days, do, indeed, appear to be numbered if/when it is confirmed that they have lost the rights to screen live EPL games here from the 2016-17 season.

You're right but Bein is huge, owned by Al Jazeera out of Dubai and already is the PL broadcaster in many territories. They have far bigger pockets than True. However they are new to Thailand and I agree it would make sense for them to do a sub-licensing deal with True.

Bein *is* Al Jazeera, they rebranded, and they're based out of Doha, not Dubai.

Come what may, though, I am assuming that BEIN would not wish to have their good name and reputation sullied through any association, at least in the short term, with that shambolic Dad's Army of a subscription TV service provider called CTH - whose days, do, indeed, appear to be numbered if/when it is confirmed that they have lost the rights to screen live EPL games here from the 2016-17 season.

BeIn don't give a toss, they are a bunch of arrogant a-holes and their billing and renewal is a joke.

I've just entered my Smartcard number to check my status and according to them it's an invalid smart card - although I was watching it last night and only renewed it in July.

They frequently don't bother putting English commentary on, you get three audio tracks all the same with some camelshagger screaming "Mishmumkin!" at the top of his voice.

Oh and if you want Euro 2016 they'll probably try and charge you extra.

They have good technology, but that's about it.

^"Hopefully, they would have learnt from CTH's shambolic attempts in this regard this time 3 years ago - which, among a host of other things, resulted in no live PLTV channel coverage here in LOS for the first 6 months of the current agreement period."

Is that true? I don't remember CTH not showing ANY live Premier League games, but the wife does say I'm getting old.

There's a message on my BeIn box saying that they are giving me 12 new entertainment channels free until the end of the year.

Which considering I've actually lost the only English one they had after their last update is a bit comical.

Cue spending another hour on the fekin phone to Doha tomorrow to try and work out what they've screwed up now.

cheesy.gif

^"Hopefully, they would have learnt from CTH's shambolic attempts in this regard this time 3 years ago - which, among a host of other things, resulted in no live PLTV channel coverage here in LOS for the first 6 months of the current agreement period."

Is that true? I don't remember CTH not showing ANY live Premier League games, but the wife does say I'm getting old.

I live in Thailand and bought CTH in November 2013, with live EPL coverage from day 1. The biggest problem with CTH was/is their appalling accounting system. It seems to me, having read other recent TVF threads that a lot of people will be very happy if EPL is back with True again next season. This will be a big revenue loss to CTH, which is excellent Karma from the viewpoint of many dissatisfied customers.

BeIn don't give a toss, they are a bunch of arrogant a-holes and their billing and renewal is a joke.

I've just entered my Smartcard number to check my status and according to them it's an invalid smart card - although I was watching it last night and only renewed it in July.

They frequently don't bother putting English commentary on, you get three audio tracks all the same with some camelshagger screaming "Mishmumkin!" at the top of his voice.

Oh and if you want Euro 2016 they'll probably try and charge you extra.

They have good technology, but that's about it.

So it looks like a case of jumping from the frying pan into the fire at the end of the current EPL season (assuming that CTH last that long, of course), then.

Yes, CTH have, indeed, been pretty good at screening live EPL games across their Stadium 1-5 channels from the word go, just as True were before them.

However, as I said, it did take CTH a good 6 months to set up the Stadium 6 channel with the English-language PLTV punditry from John Dykes & co.

Confirmed by today's Bangkok Post

**** links to Bangkok post are not allowed on this forum ***

Needless to say, the BP article which we are not allowed to quote directly refers to the inevitable hole which will exist in CTH's schedules from next August. All the more reason to hope, therefore, that losing the EPL rights will finally sound their death knell since I regard the prospect of them following True's lead 3 years ago by substituting all the footie on the Stadium 1-6 channels with basketball, basketball and, guess what, yet more bloody basketball as a truly horrendous one! crazy.gif

Archived