Pai: British rape victim speaks up about ordeal

webfact

Pai Rape Victim Speaks Up about Ordeal

CityNews – Following the story published in CityNews yesterday about a British tourist who was raped in Pai, the victim contacted CityNews today in order to give her account of what happened.

black-and-white-person-woman-girl-large.

The perpetrator, who has now confessed to rape following a DNA match, had initially claimed that the sex was consensual. He had previously said that the victim had told him to stop and then told him she loved him and then kissed him. This then lead to sex. After reading this statement, as well as that of Police General Wut Lippatapanlop, Deputy Commissioner General, that “the rape happened as a result of bars closing after hours, making tourists senseless”, the British tourist said that she had to tell her side of the incident.

Obviously shaken, the victim who wishes to remain anonymous, sat down and told us that she had been in Pai with ten friends visiting a festival on October 25th. They had all had a few drinks and everyone went their own way. She lost track of her friends around 2am and was standing at Don’t Cry Bar looking for a way to get home. Since Pai has no public transportation late at night, it is not uncommon (though obviously not advisable) for tourists to get lifts from locals or other tourists who are heading in their directions. She had asked many people how to get to her guesthouse, which was quite a way out of town and this one Thai guy, a construction worker originally from Sankampaeng, offered to take her there as it was on his way home.

When she noticed that they had driven past her guesthouse she protested, but he began to drive faster and faster. By this point she knew that she was in trouble, but was too afraid to do more than ask him to stop. Eventually he stopped on a dirt road in what she thought was a jungle area, “I heard a waterfall nearby and that is how I knew where we were. He pushed me against a tree and raped me. He spoke in Thai the whole time, but I understood a little, having been here so often, not much. He had no weapon, but he had force. The police asked why I didn’t scratch him, but look, I have no nails,” showing me her tiny nails, all bitten to the quick.

“Afterwards, and I had read and seen many documentaries and accounts of rape and the dangers associated with it, I was afraid for my life. He lay on top of me then and began crying and telling me how much he loved me, how he wanted to marry me and that he was sorry. He took a ring I had on my finger and put it on his hand.”

“I was not going to have an argument with him in the middle of the jungle and I knew that I had to talk him down, to appease him. I couldn’t believe when I read the news much later and found out that he had said that I had told him I loved him and that I had kissed him. I am a lesbian, I am not interested in men. I was fighting him the whole time, it was only afterwards, when we were alone in the jungle and he was remorseful that I tried to appease him and I think it worked because the next thing I knew I was back on his bike and he said he was taking me home and that we were going to get married. He was obviously intoxicated.”

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/pai-rape-victim-speaks-up-about-ordeal/

-- City News Chiang Mai 2015-11-05

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously don't know what exactly happened but I must say that she has been a bit careless to say the least to end up alone without friends, probably intoxinated, at 2am in Pai. And then ask some drunk man to give her a ride back to her guesthouse which was way out of town. It's just high risk behaviour.

“I was not going to have an argument with him in the middle of the jungle and I knew that I had to talk him down, to appease him"

Not belittling the horrific experience of being rapped in remote jungle spot by a crazed man, she did the only sensible thing

she could have done using her last bits of clarity of a drunken person, by playing along and perhaps saving

her life in the process, only god knows how many girls in her situation were killed or severally beaten,

so yes, did she put herself in a bad situation to start with? most likely yes, did she do the right thing to win

the out come and stay alive? big yes..... will this case ever serves as a warnings to others? probably not.....

Sometimes I wonder what sickness afflicts some posters on here who continually blame foreign victims at the hand of Thai criminals. It is not OK to rape. It s not OK to commit fraud. It s not OK to be scammed deceived or the host of other crimes that are committed on foreigners as well as Thais. It is not OK to say that it happened because she was drunk, or he was defrauded because ..... Insert any excuse depending on the facts of the crime. It is not OK for the police to excuse these scum Thai criminals by feeble and morning excuses and it is not OK for the courts to be overtly racist as they are. The purpose of the law is to provide a society that offers some level of safety to every person not to excuse Thais just because they are Thai and the victim foreign.

That foreigners continually post in here supporting or excusing the Thais is just disgusting. I can't imagine the same excuses being trotted out if it was a foreigner who committed the crime and that is what is disgusting. It is reverse racism and plain stupid.

.....another sociopath....wonder what his punishment will be...

...and as for 'telling the truth'......in my 12 years here..... here.....

....truth = lie that serves someone's sick, selfish purpose...of course to make them look good, innocent...even the victim themselves....sociopaths...

Dang...raped a lesbian...that is adding insult on top of insult...

I still can not get over the number of women who will go out alone at night...and wonder why they get molested...

It is a disgrace to the finer folks in Thailand...but then again...this is Thailand...

Did you not read what she said. She went out with 10 friends. She probably wasn't a lesbian before the incident but I imagine these kinds of things would push a girl in that direction. Smart girl for talking him down like that or she might have just been another missing girl. I hope they throw the book at this animal

Sometimes I wonder what sickness afflicts some posters on here who continually blame foreign victims at the hand of Thai criminals. It is not OK to rape. It s not OK to commit fraud. It s not OK to be scammed deceived or the host of other crimes that are committed on foreigners as well as Thais. It is not OK to say that it happened because she was drunk, or he was defrauded because ..... Insert any excuse depending on the facts of the crime. It is not OK for the police to excuse these scum Thai criminals by feeble and morning excuses and it is not OK for the courts to be overtly racist as they are. The purpose of the law is to provide a society that offers some level of safety to every person not to excuse Thais just because they are Thai and the victim foreign.

That foreigners continually post in here supporting or excusing the Thais is just disgusting. I can't imagine the same excuses being trotted out if it was a foreigner who committed the crime and that is what is disgusting. It is reverse racism and plain stupid.

not defending or excusing criminals whether Thai or foreign. But you have to apply some degree of prudence whether you are here or elsewhere. The only places I can think of you can do this is maybe Singapore or Hong Kong. But even there you should be more cautious.

Getting raped was not her fault. That was the fault of the man who raped her. No question about that. There is no one else to blame for his behavior. No one. She is NOT to blame for his raping her.

Putting herself into a situation where she could get victimized? That IS her fault.

Who in their right mind goes out in a foreign country, where they don't speak the language, drinks to excess, and then separates from their friends at two o'clock in the morning?

Why not just pin a note on your back saying' Hey criminals! Pick me, I'm an easy target!' There is no one else to blame for 'her' behavior, just as there is no one else to blame for the rapist's behavior. This is the real world, and criminals exist. It is our responsibility as 'adults' not to put ourselves into situations where we can be victimize. If we are not old enough to know better, then it is our parent's responsibility to keep us out of such situations.

The man who did this should be imprisoned for a long, long time.

The young woman should not be allowed out of her house without parental supervision. She's not grown up enough to know how to function in the real world. I feel sorry for the pain she must be going through, but the fact is, crime exists.

I wonder why none of the ten friends did not get her back to her guest house?

I can never figure out why, single women travel around Thailand alone, but

I guess that is their risk. I have heard of a few of these kind of rapes, and

assaults over the years, I just think that people should always be cautious in foreign countries.

I feel sorry for this person even though she is a lesbian she has had a catastrophic time all round gross ineptitude by all parties involved, although the police paid for the rape test which in this case should have been free more could have been done to help her and this is certainly not good for tourism .

Is it some kind of checklist where in every article they allege that some police chief has said something incredibly racist and totally inappropriate? This one's said “the rape happened as a result of bars closing after hours, making tourists senseless” ?

They do actually come down hard on some quite minor sexual offences. I'm told someone I know know's was sent down for four years for groping someone not long ago. This was as the victim was a foreigner. The irony is that they won't think twice about locking up a construction worker, however, they seem not to think about how best to deal with it, so they put an excuse in as well, so whatever happens, they look bad: rape, no rape, caught, not caught, sent to prison, or not.

I can't imagine this can all just be blundering. I think the police have a lack of control over the media here like they do elsewhere. I think something subversive is happening. I think that the undermining of the police here---whilst they are a bag of sh*t---is just the same as the UK. There's a concerted effort to undermine them, but not for them just being poorly trained and actually politicised and not allowed to do their jobs. Here, of course, the police isn't a bad job, where as in the UK, for instance, they're the total dregs of socially retarded odd balls and perverts who they're actively selecting. In the US in some states they've admitted not allowing people with average or above IQ scores into the police now.

Of all the things one might post in response to this harrowing experience, you choose not to condemn the attacker, commend the brave victim, appreciate the additional information, point out good police work, or wish for her speedy recovery, but to blame the victim. Yes, we know your reply will start with, "I was only pointing out that..." but my point, and my question, is why you chose to do so. Public service?

I obviously don't know what exactly happened but I must say that she has been a bit careless to say the least to end up alone without friends, probably intoxinated, at 2am in Pai. And then ask some drunk man to give her a ride back to her guesthouse which was way out of town. It's just high risk behaviour.

A mini skirt, make up, drunk, bikini, alone and late, this country is advertised as a major world tourist destination.

In doing so a mature ' Be Aware' campaign is the least it can do, rather the re-enact the selfies procedure and blaming it all on the victims.

And for those who think rape is non excisting with "payments and mutual consent" I would like to navigate you to an incredible story of 13 year old 'prostitutes' abused by a peadophile ring in Chiang Mai, OH...HI SO THAI RING!

Isn't it still a 'he said' 'she said' thing ? He must of talked very good english when drunk.

Some strange language inconsistencies here,

She doesn't speak Thai, he is a Thai construction worker who presumably can't speak English.

She was humiliated in the hospital by what they were saying, but she doesn't speak Thai.

So how did everyone communicate?

Not to mention, young, female, drunk and alone in a 3rd world country at night seems a little foolish.

Sorry,

No excuse for rape, but little excuse for stupid either.

Archived