Pai: British rape victim speaks up about ordeal

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree MTB, more to this than meets the eye as usual. Sorry to say but she has only herself to blame if she actually did get raped at all.

Lots of false accusations of rape by drunk foreign female tourists in Thailand.

(at least two in the last year disproved by video evidence later).

What evidence has been offered here? None!

How do we know this isn't another false accusation?

PS

I fully agree, rape is wrong, and rapists should be severely punished.

But accusations as in this case, why is the guy always guilty without trial or evidence?

PPS

Even western police wouldn't prosecute with the evidence stated her.

The guy would be pulled in, questioned, then released without charge.

I obviously don't know what exactly happened but I must say that she has been a bit careless to say the least to end up alone without friends, probably intoxinated, at 2am in Pai. And then ask some drunk man to give her a ride back to her guesthouse which was way out of town. It's just high risk behaviour.

You and the four people who liked your post are still stuck in the neanderthal era and were born with a total lack any common decency or sense.

You might as well have said, "she was asking for it". You and the four members who liked your post are what's wrong with the males of our species.

I wonder if the policeman would have expressed the same opinion if the victim was his daughter?

The Thais I know don't let their daughters out alone ...... ever.

I'm sure that's right.

But a policeman who makes this type of remark isn't fit for purpose.

Pai is an established tourist destination and the police stationed there should be aware of the offence this type of remark causes. It's such a shame that those in power continually shoot themselves in the foot.

But a policeman who makes this type of remark isn't fit for purpose.

You're right, the policeman should have made the statement "there is no evidence submitted so far to indicate a crime has been committed".

But then a certain well educated general who runs the country has said worse, so what sensitivity should one expect from a rural 3rd world policeman.

And Thailand isn't the nanny state, we are all used to living in, they do still seem to expect a modicum of personal responsibility from people.

Ah, the drink!

?

Amazing, isn't roo860? You appear to have no idea to what maderaroja is referring and you so elaborately present your bewilderment. Let's try to figure out this great dilemma. Hmmm, drink? Some sort of potable liquid, I should think. How about you? Now, what would a potable liquid have to do with this forum? Was there any reference to a potable liquid in the story line? Hmmm, I guess not. It's simply beyond me. You are indeed quite the satirist to be capable of offering such a clever and intriguing response.

Ah, the drink!

?

Amazing, isn't roo860? You appear to have no idea to what maderaroja is referring and you so elaborately present your bewilderment. Let's try to figure out this great dilemma. Hmmm, drink? Some sort of potable liquid, I should think. How about you? Now, what would a potable liquid have to do with this forum? Was there any reference to a potable liquid in the story line? Hmmm, I guess not. It's simply beyond me. You are indeed quite the satirist to be capable of offering such a clever and intriguing response.

Cheers!!!!

And it especially doesn't excuse the general contempt towards her demonstrated by everyone from the doctor to the police.

Them all thinking she's making false accusations explains the general contempt easily.

More likely hoping that if they made it difficult she would just fly home and it would be forgotten.

You're right, the policeman should have made the statement "there is no evidence submitted so far to indicate a crime has been committed".

Either you didn't read as far as the second sentence of the article:

"The perpetrator, who has now confessed to rape following a DNA match, had initially claimed that the sex was consensual,"

Or you wilfully disregard the reported information because it doesn't fit your opinion.

Which is it?

And it especially doesn't excuse the general contempt towards her demonstrated by everyone from the doctor to the police.

Them all thinking she's making false accusations explains the general contempt easily.
More likely hoping that if they made it difficult she would just fly home and it would be forgotten.

That would explain the police, but I've always found Thai doctors and nurses to be kind, sympathetic and understanding people.

"The perpetrator, who has now confessed to rape following a DNA match, had initially claimed that the sex was consensual,"

Thai police have a history of extracted confessions that are withdrawn in court later (Burmese two) when they aren't standing over the accused with their truncheons.

Why would he confess? even if he was guilty? no evidence at all, no chance of conviction.

"The perpetrator, who has now confessed to rape following a DNA match"

MaeJoMtb, did you miss that part, or do you not accept that the confession wasn't tortured out of him?

I don't really understand why people are faulting the victim here. She went out, had some drinks, and got driven home by a rapist. Has no one here ever acted more 'negligently'.. People are posting like she left the windows down in her car with her wallet and keys to the ignition still in the car.

That would explain the police, but I've always found Thai doctors and nurses to be kind, sympathetic and understanding people.

Thai police have a history of extracted confessions that are withdrawn in court later (Burmese two) when they aren't standing over the accused with their truncheons.

Why would he confess? even if he was guilty? no evidence at all, no chance of conviction.

Wow, PJ, looks like you are willing to entertain every hypothesis except the only one supported by evidence, that a man raped a woman.

I agree MTB, more to this than meets the eye as usual. Sorry to say but she has only herself to blame if she actually did get raped at all.

Bugger me,what a crock.He admitted he raped her,got it.

Responding to your request.....??? would that be rape or considered consensual sex ??????

Lots of false accusations of rape by drunk foreign female tourists in Thailand.

(at least two in the last year disproved by video evidence later).

What evidence has been offered here? None!

How do we know this isn't another false accusation?

PS

I fully agree, rape is wrong, and rapists should be severely punished.

But accusations as in this case, why is the guy always guilty without trial or evidence?

PPS

Even western police wouldn't prosecute with the evidence stated her.

The guy would be pulled in, questioned, then released without charge.

Did you just read the headlines or is your memory that bad.It says it all in the 1st sentence,DNA evidence and he admitted he raped her after lying in the 1st place.

Did you just read the headlines or is your memory that bad.It says it all in the 1st sentence,DNA evidence and he admitted he raped her after lying in the 1st place.

I have no doubt they had sex.

That's what tourists do in Thailand.

Consensual or not is the question?

Are you suggesting they should convict the Burmese 2? They also confessed to killing Hannah.

Bugger me,what a crock.He admitted he raped her,got it.
I don't think there will be people queuing to "bugger you", in case you might want to marry them after!!!!:o

Pure and simple, this is a heart breaking story and I have so much compassion for this courageous young woman. She did not secure a ride home most likely thinking that Pai was a friendly city where something like this could not happen...end of story...no should haves or should have nots. She did what she did and many, including myself, have been tipsy before and put ourselves into harms way unconsciously and likely we did not have nasty endings, but then some of us did. Send her your love as you would towards your mother or sister. If you see someone who is in need please have the courage to ask if you may assist them...this is what we do for our brothers and sisters on Our Planet Earth. This is how Our Humanity Evolves. Allow people to have their sexual orientation and bringing her orientation up has no value in this tragic event. Love others as you love your self and love your self as you love others!

I obviously don't know what exactly happened but I must say that she has been a bit careless to say the least to end up alone without friends, probably intoxinated, at 2am in Pai. And then ask some drunk man to give her a ride back to her guesthouse which was way out of town. It's just high risk behaviour.

You and the four people who liked your post are still stuck in the neanderthal era and were born with a total lack any common decency or sense.

You might as well have said, "she was asking for it". You and the four members who liked your post are what's wrong with the males of our species.

No one asks to get raped. No one deserves to get raped. No none deserves to be the victim of any crime.

No one...

But some people put themselves in a position to be victimized.

If there was a police officer on every corner, one standing every 100 meters on every road, there would be no need for civilians to give crime a second thought.

That is not the case in the real world.

Question: would you let your daughter travel alone, drunk, at 2am, on a rural back road in your own country? I'd like to think that you wouldn't. It's setting the scene for a potential problem. Now imagine if your daughter couldn't speak the language of the country in which she is alone, drunk, at 2am on a rural back road.... Worse yet. Would you allow it?

No... she didn't ask to get raped, and certainly didn't deserve to get raped.

What she did was put herself in a position in which a crime could occur. In this particular situation, the crime was rape. Crime happens everywhere. We teach our children how to avoid potential crime. We teach them not to talk with strangers. We teach them not to walk alone on dark streets.

Perhaps the girl's parents are as guilty as the rapist? They obviously did NOT teach her to avoid becoming a victim... because victim she most certainly was.

No one asks to get raped. No one deserves to get raped. No none deserves to be the victim of any crime.

No one...

If there was a police officer on every corner, one standing every 100 meters on every road, there would be no need for civilians to give crime a second thought.

Question: would you let your daughter travel alone, drunk, at 2am, on a rural back road in your own country? I'd like to think that you wouldn't. It's setting the scene for a potential problem. Now imagine if your daughter couldn't speak the language of the country in which she is alone, drunk, at 2am on a rural back road.... Worse yet. Would you allow it?

What she did was put herself in a position in which a crime could occur. In this particular situation, the crime was rape. Crime happens everywhere. We teach our children how to avoid potential crime. We teach them not to talk with strangers. We teach them not to walk alone on dark streets.

Perhaps the girl's parents are as guilty as the rapist? They obviously did NOT teach her to avoid becoming a victim... because victim she most certainly was.

We try and teach kids to listen to good advice, but when they walk through the door, that's up to them if they put it into practice.

whenever there is he said she said involving a rape, I listen to what she said.

I look at the circumstances and ask myself whether (1) there is any likely motive for her to lie, and (2) whether the man's version seems plausible.

In this case: no and no.

Those saying the victim acted carelessly here are of the same mentality as the story which describes a Thai and a foreigner in an accident, and the Thai says 'It's your fault because this is my country, and if you weren't here, this wouldn't have happened'. Well, if she wasn't in Pai that night, she wouldn't have gotten raped by Sankamphaeng Somchai.

No one...

I see your point. By reading your post, I put myself in a position in which a crime could occur-- in this case an assault on reason by demented drivel. You should really ask yourself why, when presented with a violent crime against a complete stranger, you have the mental and emotional predisposition to not merely raise-- for the idea showed up in the first few replies-- but hammer home with almost senile redundancy, the empty truism that if she had not been present, no crime would have occurred. Blaming the parents is a new twist, and might explain your apparent lack of empathy for the victim.

Sometimes I wonder what sickness afflicts some posters on here who continually blame foreign victims at the hand of Thai criminals. It is not OK to rape. It s not OK to commit fraud. It s not OK to be scammed deceived or the host of other crimes that are committed on foreigners as well as Thais. It is not OK to say that it happened because she was drunk, or he was defrauded because ..... Insert any excuse depending on the facts of the crime. It is not OK for the police to excuse these scum Thai criminals by feeble and morning excuses and it is not OK for the courts to be overtly racist as they are. The purpose of the law is to provide a society that offers some level of safety to every person not to excuse Thais just because they are Thai and the victim foreign.

That foreigners continually post in here supporting or excusing the Thais is just disgusting. I can't imagine the same excuses being trotted out if it was a foreigner who committed the crime and that is what is disgusting. It is reverse racism and plain stupid.

Question:

Have you forgotten where you are?

No one...

I see your point. By reading your post, I put myself in a position in which a crime could occur-- in this case an assault on reason by demented drivel. You should really ask yourself why, when presented with a violent crime against a complete stranger, you have the mental and emotional predisposition to not merely raise-- for the idea showed up in the first few replies-- but hammer home with almost senile redundancy, the empty truism that if she had not been present, no crime would have occurred. Blaming the parents is a new twist, and might explain your apparent lack of empathy for the victim.

If people want the kind of law that is prevalent in their own country then they should stay in their own country.

Thailand is primitive. Cat eat cat and dog eat dog.

Do people really come here to install their own culture and law.

Sounds similar to what the muslims will do to Germany.

Archived