METV Visa - Ottawa, Canada

I'm still waiting for embassy and consulates in Laos to publish their rules

You are not alone with this. Misc threads running.

Many hope for all to become good.

I promised not to speculate any further until after Nov 13.

It's hard not to think about what will happen.

I thought maybe the embassy/consulate in Laos wouldn't apply the same rules, but now I'm thinking they'll have at least one of these rules (proof of money, resident of said country, etc) in place.

I feel there is little to speculate as most people are aware that the likelihood of obtaining this METV locally is going to be slim especially given the requirements being touted at consulates and embassy's in people's native countries.

Still stranger things have happened.

It's hard not to think about what will happen.

I thought maybe the embassy/consulate in Laos wouldn't apply the same rules, but now I'm thinking they'll have at least one of these rules (proof of money, resident of said country, etc) in place.

I'd think they might put off introducing a METV and still issue a double-entry tourist visa.

They're supposed to have announced by now that they'll issue a METV

and no longer a double-entry tourist visa starting on Nov. 13. It's only one week left to go

now.

I wouldn't think they were so stupid they'd afford to lose 'The GOLD MINE'

by abolishing a double-entry tourist visa now. You never know, though.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

A single statement so far about Laos (Vientiane).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868038-report-visa-run-vientiane/#entry10043698

Was at the embassy this morning for a DE TR. long queue due to the visa groups. I did ask the embassy staff about the METV and was told only for Laotians and those with permanent residence in Laos. She said we could only apply the new METV at our "home" country. Seems like this is the rule set by MFA, Thailand to all Thai Embassies/ Consulates overseas.

I opened the file and it does not say residence only. The way I read it says you only need a legal permit to stay in Canada also..

attachicon.gifcut from METV file.png

Agreed !

I believe they mean permanent residency OR a legal right to remain.

However, it adds to the impression that this visa will be difficult to obtain outside of ones own country

I was at the Thai consulate in Vientiane today and there is still no notice of a METV. Picking up my double-entry tourist visa tomorrow afternoon. Strange they haven't posted any info on the new METV yet.

Edited by Maestro
corrected erminology

I opened the file and it does not say residence only. The way I read it says you only need a legal permit to stay in Canada also..

Agreed !

However, it adds to the impression that this visa will be difficult to obtain outside of ones own country

i think this visa is only get in your country of residence , the General dont want anymore tourist stay here 1 year with tourist visa and it very goood :)

Agreed !

i think this visa is only get in your country of residence , the General dont want anymore tourist stay here 1 year with tourist visa and it very goood smile.png

Your right. No sympathy for over-stayers.

i think this visa is only get in your country of residence , the General dont want anymore tourist stay here 1 year with tourist visa and it very goood smile.png

Good for whom and why, exactly? Overstaying is just asking for problems, and can be avoided without extended absence from The Kingdom. The longest TV available, prior, was a triple which allowed under 9 months, including extensions, with 2 exits during that period.

The new METV allows staying for the same time as the (almost) former triple. The only difference is the needed documents, plus getting the visa further away. The "new regs" are a set of tests to ensure the recipient is financially solvent - not to prevent people spending "more than X time" in Thailand.

• Like 1

Good for whom and why, exactly? Overstaying is just asking for problems, and can be avoided without extended absence from The Kingdom. The longest TV available, prior, was a triple which allowed under 9 months, including extensions, with 2 exits during that period.

The new METV allows staying for the same time as the (almost) former triple. The only difference is the needed documents, plus getting the visa further away. The "new regs" are a set of tests to ensure the recipient is financially solvent - not to prevent people spending "more than X time" in Thailand.

If you don't want people living in Thailand, fair enough. Their country and their rules.

What I don't understand is they may be hurting tourism by deterring real tourists.

There are many people who live in Thailand who are on tourist visas. You'll get people who have money and just spend it here - can't see the problem with that, but then again, it's up to the law makers.

You'll have digital nomads. I can't say what their source of income is, but I know a few who make their money from abroad and spend it here.

Lastly, you have TEFL teachers. These are the people many expats seem to loathe the most. There's a reason why so many undesirable and unqualified can work here - because Thailand allows it. If you really wanted rid of these teachers, why not just go directly to the schools? I bet if I went to my nearest school I'd find people working on tourist visas.

My point is - people with money and digital nomads I don't see a problem with.

Teachers working illegally - go to the schools. Arrest, fine, deport etc. It would be so easy to catch them. Is this just an indirect way of kicking out teachers so you don't directly piss of school owners and parents, etc?

On the UK Thai Embassy website it has the new fees for METV and it is a considerable increase from the £50 DE and £75 TE visas to £125 for METV. I thought the new visa was 5000 baht, someone obviously doesn't know how to calculate the exchange rate.

I have no sympathy for teachers working on tourist visas, I have a friend in BKK who teaches on tourist visa with no degree. I think a single tourist entry visa will be good for me, I intend spending 2 months in Bali and seeing Indonesia, then maybe come back to Thailand on another single entry tourist visa, back to UK after that.

On the UK Thai Embassy website it has the new fees for METV and it is a considerable increase from the £50 DE and £75 TE visas to £125 for METV. I thought the new visa was 5000 baht, someone obviously doesn't know how to calculate the exchange rate.

I have no sympathy for teachers working on tourist visas, I have a friend in BKK who teaches on tourist visa with no degree. I think a single tourist entry visa will be good for me, I intend spending 2 months in Bali and seeing Indonesia, then maybe come back to Thailand on another single entry tourist visa, back to UK after that.

Before complaining about "someone" not knowing how to "calculate the exchange rate" you should check the "exchange rate" used by the British Embassy in Bangkok .....................(Hint! It is not approx 54 Baht/£1)

Before complaining about "someone" not knowing how to "calculate the exchange rate" you should check the "exchange rate" used by the British Embassy in Bangkok .....................(Hint! It is not approx 54 Baht/£1)

Maybe you should check here http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx 5000 baht is £90!

Maybe you should check here http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx 5000 baht is £90!

I am fully aware of what the commercial, retail exchange rate is.

You clearly fail to appreciate that ALL Embassies use a favorable(to them) exchange rate set by their Governments.

In this respect the Thai Embassy in London and the British Embassy in Bangkok are no different

Using your "argument" a 1000 Bht single entry tourist visa "should" be approx £18.50

If the price is not liked there is no need to buy!

I am fully aware of what the commercial, retail exchange rate is.

You clearly fail to appreciate that ALL Embassies use a favorable(to them) exchange rate set by their Governments.

In this respect the Thai Embassy in London and the British Embassy in Bangkok are no different

Using your "argument" a 1000 Bht single entry tourist visa "should" be approx £18.50

If the price is not liked there is no need to buy!

I am not arguing, just merely pointing out that the METV is considerably more than the double and triple entry visas, there is no reason to increase the price apart fleecing the tourist.

I won't be buying anyway, SETV is enough for me and I will be seeing more of the region.

Definitely a change in what was required for a triple entry in the Canadian cities of Vancouver and Edmonton. I have never had to show bank statements, and they usually only require a one way ticket. I am not sure about the residence requirement, but in the past I have seen Russian citizens applying at the Vancouver consulate(they may have had a PR or work visa). My friend just arrived in CM today from Canada with a triple entry from the honorary consulate in Edmonton issued late last week. He arrived here on a one way ticket and wasn't asked for bank statements either so the requirements for the new METV appear to be more strict. It will be interesting to see if the official requirements are actually enforced, especially at the friendly honorary Edmonton consulate.

Agreed !

My take on it is that they mean a legal right to remain in that Country permanently , simply have a tourist visa doesnt give you the right to remain in said Country permanently .

Other than that, they could only mean that people in the Country illegally without a visa cannot apply, and that goes without saying .

Having a visa for a Country doesnt give you the legal right to remain, it can be cancelled at any time

Agreed !

My take on it is that they mean a legal right to remain in that Country permanently , simply have a tourist visa doesnt give you the right to remain in said Country permanently .

Other than that, they could only mean that people in the Country illegally without a visa cannot apply, and that goes without saying .

Having a visa for a Country doesnt give you the legal right to remain, it can be cancelled at any time

The term 'permit to stay' isn't terminology used by Canadian Immigration, but we do have two classes that they may be referring to; those on a study permit or work permit.

Edited by kanook

tribalfusion001
Tell him to read that web site properly !
They helpfully highlight this !
"Please be aware that despite the many teachers working in Thailand using visas other than a B visa, it is against the law to work without a B visa and work permit.!"

Well spotted, I didn't read the whole page and I don't think he has even read any of it.

It is time to get this topic back on topic. It is not about teachers. over-stayers and etc. It starting to go off the rails like all the other METV topics have. Many have been closed for that reason.

It appears once again that many can read English but don't understand it.

Carry on lads and this thread will become another statistic.

• Like 1

Teachers working illegally - go to the schools. Arrest, fine, deport etc. It would be so easy to catch them. Is this just an indirect way of kicking out teachers so you don't directly piss of school owners and parents, etc?

Yes it would be very easy to just arrest all illegal teachers... Do you think the police has not thought about it? Why do you think they don't do it?

A single statement so far about Laos (Vientiane).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868038-report-visa-run-vientiane/#entry10043698

Was at the embassy this morning for a DE TR. long queue due to the visa groups. I did ask the embassy staff about the METV and was told only for Laotians and those with permanent residence in Laos. She said we could only apply the new METV at our "home" country. Seems like this is the rule set by MFA, Thailand to all Thai Embassies/ Consulates overseas.

Maybe all the eager Thai language students, "digital nomads," and assorted other types living in Thailand should start investigating the requirements for Lao residency.

Maybe all the eager Thai language students, "digital nomads," and assorted other types living in Thailand should start investigating the requirements for Lao residency.

Or take a holiday to Laos, post passport home to family to apply for them, then come back into Thailand with 9 months stay instead of 6.

Yes it would be very easy to just arrest all illegal teachers... Do you think the police has not thought about it? Why do you think they don't do it?

Yes, I know exactly why they don't arrest them. I was being rhetorical.

My point was - isn't there a simpler solution other than the METV visa.