Left handed golf clubs

vogie

It appears that left handed golf clubs are like rocking horse dudee in Thailand. Does anyone have an idea where I could buy a set or single fairway woods. Named originals would be a bonus. Importing from abroad seems very expensive, what with the transportation and import duties. I live in the Pattaya area. Thanks

Edited by vogie

My former gf in the US was a "Lefty" and it was so difficult to get decent clubs for her that I started making them myself from components purchased via catalog. Word spread and soon I was making a set a week. The internet was new then and I easily locked up "Lefthandgolf.com"

Demand quickly outstripped my ability to produce. "Lefties Only" made an offer and purchased the rights; one of my big regrets as I had no idea of it's real value and sold way too cheap.

Might be worth your while to come to Bangkok and go to Soi Thania next to Patpong (Sala Daeng BTS) Many golf shops catering mostly to Japanese but I have seen brand name LH sets and "woods" there.

My former gf in the US was a "Lefty" and it was so difficult to get decent clubs for her that I started making them myself from components purchased via catalog. Word spread and soon I was making a set a week. The internet was new then and I easily locked up "Lefthandgolf.com"

Demand quickly outstripped my ability to produce. "Lefties Only" made an offer and purchased the rights; one of my big regrets as I had no idea of it's real value and sold way too cheap.

Might be worth your while to come to Bangkok and go to Soi Thania next to Patpong (Sala Daeng BTS) Many golf shops catering mostly to Japanese but I have seen brand name LH sets and "woods" there.

Thanks for the reply Dave, I have been doing some research today and have found that it is cheaper to get the clubs shipped either from the UK or the USA, than to buy in Thai shops. Sorry about your loss on the sale of your business.

There are a number of golf shops on 3rd Road and I sold a set of left hand Pings through Pattaya City Golf last year. Worth a visit to the various shops and see what they have second hand. Prices can be reasonable and some are sold on consignment. The largest shop around is the big golf store in the Outlet Mall by Tesco on Theppasit. They may have some second hand stuff as well.

There are a number of golf shops on 3rd Road and I sold a set of left hand Pings through Pattaya City Golf last year. Worth a visit to the various shops and see what they have second hand. Prices can be reasonable and some are sold on consignment. The largest shop around is the big golf store in the Outlet Mall by Tesco on Theppasit. They may have some second hand stuff as well.

Agreed Challenge Golf (I think that is what it is called) has probably the biggest selection but have never seen any "used" stuff there. I had a good look round only yesterday.

Sports World in Central Festival has quite a big selection as well but usually not very competitively priced.

Agree with the OP prices are generally much higher here. I (and I guess others?) would be interested to know how much shipping and duty he thinks he will have to pay that will actually make it worthwhile importing.

Found on ebay.

2015 Callaway Edge Hybrid Rescue Club RRP£99.99 (new)

Subtotal GBP 69.99

ShippingGBP 19.36

Import charges GBP 18.61

Total in baht 5800 approx

When ringing around in Thailand the average price of similar clubs was around 10,000 baht. I have also bought a TaylorMade Golf SLDR S Rescue Hybrid Club - NEW for about the same price from the US.

I don't think I could have bought better here for the price, your thoughts?

Found on ebay.

Subtotal GBP 69.99

ShippingGBP 19.36

Import charges GBP 18.61

When ringing around in Thailand the average price of similar clubs was around 10,000 baht. I have also bought a TaylorMade Golf SLDR S Rescue Hybrid Club - NEW for about the same price from the US.

My thoughts - if you quoted my post I would have known you replied earlier.........thumbsup.gif

Is the import charge your estimate or the shippers charge - and any chance there would be more added by customs? Also what happens if the club is damaged - EG shaft cracked/snapped?

SDLR hybrids were on offer (along with others) at Challenge Golf about 6 weeks ago and I think they were about 6,000 baht - but my memory could be faulty as I was looking more at Aeroburner and R15. I don't know the club you mention specifically but If you can import "safely" at the prices you mentioned then maybe ok although not sure about what sort of warranty you would have - mind you is that any different to buying in Thailand sad.png

Found on ebay.

Subtotal GBP 69.99

ShippingGBP 19.36

Import charges GBP 18.61

My thoughts - if you quoted my post I would have known you replied earlier.........thumbsup.gif

Is the import charge your estimate or the shippers charge - and any chance there would be more added by customs? Also what happens if the club is damaged - EG shaft cracked/snapped?

SDLR hybrids were on offer (along with others) at Challenge Golf about 6 weeks ago and I think they were about 6,000 baht - but my memory could be faulty as I was looking more at Aeroburner and R15. I don't know the club you mention specifically but If you can import "safely" at the prices you mentioned then maybe ok although not sure about what sort of warranty you would have - mind you is that any different to buying in Thailand sad.png

The trouble with being a lefty is the lack of choice, I have a 3 wood (Taylormade Burner) but to find a 22 and 25 degree wood I would struggle to find here IMO. As for for the condition on arrival, I am in the lap of the gods, but can be returned if a problem, if inconveniently so. I am beginning to struggle with my long irons (aint old age wonderful) but seem to hit fairway woods ok. A 9 wood would be nice, but never seen one for a lefty.

If considering importing, look for a supplier in Canada. There are more left handed golfers in Canada than anywhere else in the world, due to the influence of the way a hockey stick is used. Many righties play golf as a leftie due to that influence. Plus the low $CAN/'$US will work in your favour.

If considering importing, look for a supplier in Canada. There are more left handed golfers in Canada than anywhere else in the world, due to the influence of the way a hockey stick is used. Many righties play golf as a leftie due to that influence. Plus the low $CAN/'$US will work in your favour.

Hi sticklee, I have looked on ebay and noticed golf clubs for sale from Canada, but I didn't see any that shipped to Thailand. But after a few days heavy browsing I have come to the conclusion that it is still cheaper to buy from ebay than to buy in Thailand, especially if you are looking for something left handed or maybe with a higher loft etc. I have bought my clubs off ebay and infact just bought my wife a brand new Cleveland Classic xl driver 13 degrees of loft for 99$ (3550฿)that includes delivery and import charges, the nearest I could come up with in Thailand was 5000฿ for a Adams driver, with no choice of loft.

Permit me to add a personal experience concerning finding golf clubs.

In1981, I was sent to the Red Sea area of Saudi to open up a new contract and get it rolling. I had to buy equipment, tools, office equipment, etc.

Anyway to make a long story short, I drove to Jeddah and was looking for some sports equipment for our employees and went to the International Mall to look in their sports store.

I was amazed to find, as I roamed the store, a 55 gallon drum filled with putters, which was the last thing I expected to find since the nearest golf course, at that time, was in Cairo.

As I stood there wondering how a sporting goods store in Jeddah managed to end up with 100-200 putters when there was no golf course around when it suddenly dawned on me...every stinking one of them was left handed.

Permit me to add a personal experience concerning finding golf clubs.

In1981, I was sent to the Red Sea area of Saudi to open up a new contract and get it rolling. I had to buy equipment, tools, office equipment, etc.

Anyway to make a long story short, I drove to Jeddah and was looking for some sports equipment for our employees and went to the International Mall to look in their sports store.

I was amazed to find, as I roamed the store, a 55 gallon drum filled with putters, which was the last thing I expected to find since the nearest golf course, at that time, was in Cairo.

As I stood there wondering how a sporting goods store in Jeddah managed to end up with 100-200 putters when there was no golf course around when it suddenly dawned on me...every stinking one of them was left handed.

Wish I could find a drum full of left handed gear here, but not putters, my putter is pretty much the same one I've had since I started the game. Its an Oddessy 2 ball, I don't think I could ever be any better with anything else. There is a shop going out of Sattahip towards Bangchan that is absolutely full of old clubs that would probably pre-date Ben Hogan, who buys such junk?

Clubs from the USA are cheapest but not as much selection in lefties clubs. Look for someone with an Ebay store. Be prepared for high importation duties and tax.

Just bought 4 clubs now including a driver for my wife. The price of the clubs on ebay are so reasonable it makes the carriage and import duties quite acceptable. For example I purchased a brand new left handed Taylormade Jetspeed with adjustable head this morning, inc head cover and tool. The cost of the driver was $72 and post and import costs were $68, a tad of just over 5000฿. I honestly don't think I could find a genuine quality club of this ilk in Thailand left or right handed for 5000฿. I ordered a fairway club on the 6th of this month and it arrived this morning 7 days, great service from UPS.

Don't give up.

I bought a set of vintage Callaways for 1500 baht and a set of vintage Mizunos for 2000 baht, both sets lefties with graphite shafts, and both from street vendors in BKK in Chinatown.

I had to regrip the Callaways, but that's how I found out they were genuine, and not Chinese knockoffs.

If you want new and zoomy, you're pretty much going to pay out the wazoo or import them.

Hello all,

I have some left handed irons, Ping i3 blade - black dot with cushin stainless shaft and Karsten grips for sale. I bought them in Malaysia around 14 yrs ago. I used them a few times but it turned out that my game wasn't good enough and needed a more forgiving set. They come with a black /silver Ping bag I later bought in Singapore. I am in BKK (Watacharaphon) if anyone is interested.

Regards,

James.d

Clubs from the USA are cheapest but not as much selection in lefties clubs. Look for someone with an Ebay store. Be prepared for high importation duties and tax.

Just bought 4 clubs now including a driver for my wife. The price of the clubs on ebay are so reasonable it makes the carriage and import duties quite acceptable. For example I purchased a brand new left handed Taylormade Jetspeed with adjustable head this morning, inc head cover and tool. The cost of the driver was $72 and post and import costs were $68, a tad of just over 5000฿. I honestly don't think I could find a genuine quality club of this ilk in Thailand left or right handed for 5000฿. I ordered a fairway club on the 6th of this month and it arrived this morning 7 days, great service from UPS.

That sounds like a great buy! The set jamesd has for sale are great clubs. I have the same set rh.

That sounds like a great buy! The set jamesd has for sale are great clubs. I have the same set rh.

Am I right in thinking that the clubs that jamesd has for sale are blades, not very good for the high handicapper?

Am I right in thinking that the clubs that jamesd has for sale are blades, not very good for the high handicapper?

Hello Vogie,

Hopefully Sticklee will give you more feedback, at the time I was playing a round in 100ish so not really good at all. I tried a friends cavity back and they seemed to suit my swing a little better. Ended up buying some rather cheap dunlops in Hat Yai.

The Pings were bought to replace my first set which were from Bangkok, copies I believe as teeing off with a 6 iron, the carbon shaft snapped and the clubhead ended up in a lake...BTW, the black dot mean they are standard angle clubhead.

Regards,

James.d

Edited by james.d

Hello Vogie,

Hopefully Sticklee will give you more feedback, at the time I was playing a round in 100ish so not really good at all. I tried a friends cavity back and they seemed to suit my swing a little better. Ended up buying some rather cheap dunlops in Hat Yai.

The Pings were bought to replace my first set which were from Bangkok, copies I believe as teeing off with a 6 iron, the carbon shaft snapped and the clubhead ended up in a lake...BTW, the black dot mean they are standard angle clubhead.

Regards,

James.d

Vogie normally that would be the case although some interesting comments here - http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/ping/i3-blade/prd_61024_2940crx.aspx suggest may not be as true for these until you read the last one on the first page.

Personally I would not go to blades but depends on the individual and you can never tell until you have played with them more than a few times.