internet speeds slow: me, 3bb, or everyone?

4evermaat

I'm getting a decent speedtest speed for my plan with 3BB 10.5 Mbps down (900+KB/s) and 0.7Mbps up. But I've been downloading files from outside Thailand that normally max out my connection or at worst 1/2 or so. But yesterday and today it has been maybe 1/10th max on average (80KB/s).

Not the speedtest that looks bad. Speedtest is fine, But actual speeds. I usually use Internet Download Manager to download most files.

3BB guys came out and reset the modem. But they also increased the Upload speed to a little over 1Mbps and that seemed to have some affect. (now only 1/4th of typical max speeds).

I'm about 20 KM from Chumphon town. i wanted to see if other people are getting slow internet downloads over the past few days. Are certain sites or files throttled?

• Like 1

I am getting 16.5 mb/s to the US and 250ms latency. In Thailand I get 75mb/s and 8 ms latency. These are very normal speeds go me. I have found that there is so much wireless interference in my building that on wireless it can drop to 1/20th of a hardwired connection.

Are you using a wired or wifi connection? As doccalamity said, wireless interference can hinder speeds a lot.

Wifi. Never had problem before. But next time i will switch to wired to see if there is any difference. The speedtest (within thailand servers) were fine. It seemed that internet traffic was a bit throttled.

Seems the speeds are back to normal more or less after yesterday evening.

I think the government are slowing us down by wanting a piece of the action, although they say this is not happening.

I agree to an extent that there is some throttling going on. But they wont admit to it. In malaysia, if you try to download a large file, even if you are in your high-speed quota, you still see this unexplainable slowdown. What's the deal if you are within quota?

Edited by 4evermaat

Here in Phuket I have had the 3BB fiber optic 10MB service for about a year. Was doing very well until the past month or so, then fell off to barely crawling, just as described by the other posters. Restarted by modem, helped for a while but now slow again.

• Like 1

Once my connection slowed to a crawl. I called 3BB out and they ran some tests confirming it was slow, which I knew already.

They opened up the box outside and make some changes, I have no idea what they did but they seemed to think that the issue was caused by rainwater getting inside the junction box on the pole in the street.

41.6 Mbps download & 3.34 Mbps upload - just tested using Speedtest.net. On True package using wi-fi. Server in Vientiane automatically selected by Speedtest to test from here in N-East Thailand. (Using AT&T tester - 19.18 Mbps download / 3.24 Mbps upload. Using Testmy.net - which i think uses Hong Kong as the other end - 6.1 Mbps download / 2.6 Mbps upload. ) Which all goes to show....what ?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Ever since they started talking about the one gateway project being approved my 3BB (fibre 30mbs) speeds have plummeted and I am having to do a lot of refreshes as a web pages time out especially pages from abroad. Maybe it has nothing to do with the one gateway or maybe it does. Who would know?

• Like 2

;;;it seems to be all over the place... I normally get 11.5 to 12 mb/s down... I just checked 3 times... first time 8 mb/s 2nd time 11.5 and the last time, 6.8 ??

Interestingly.. yesterday my gf got a call from them (3BB).. asking if we were happy with the service.. I had noticed that it had been a bit slow at times but didn't check speed.. I thought my computer just needed a little clean out... which I've done now.. As I said above.. now I notice these inconsistencies... we are in Kalasin.. Could big brother be interfering?

I have 3BB and am in Loei Province. I'm on the 10MB contract and up to a few months ago, was not having any problems. It all went haywire when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It got so bad in the end that I could not go on line or if I did, it took ages to load. I did some speed tests and found my DS went down to 1.8MBPS and UPS was 0.18MBPS. I got so frustrated that I went to my local computer shop, and after 4 days I was told that the problem was associated with Windows 10 and he recommended scrubbing everyting from the hard drive and reinstalling Windoews 7.

Did this and haven't had a problem since. I do speed tests everyday and on occasions I find that the DLS gets as low as 5.5 MBPS and the UL remains stable at 0.52MBPS. But quite quick considering. On most occasions the DLS remains between 9.5 to 10.25 MBPS so I am quite happy with the service now. And the guy who got the system up and running again actually charged me zero and when I asked why he said it was because I was a good customer. Gave hm B200 for his trouble and I had to insist he take it. In the end everyone was happy. Oh, by the way, I use the 3BB speed test, just do a search and check as often as you want.

Edited by Si Thea01

Loads of similar threads across all providers since the last really heavy rain which coincided with a single gateway announcement.

Personally my 3bb has been good the whole time, home and work. Last 2 days have been very unreliable, Ok at times but often unusable despite appearing connected. Both home and work affected and another 3bb user nearby. Though all on the same main road so could be localised.

• Like 1

Loads of similar threads across all providers since the last really heavy rain which coincided with a single gateway announcement.

Personally my 3bb has been good the whole time, home and work. Last 2 days have been very unreliable, Ok at times but often unusable despite appearing connected. Both home and work affected and another 3bb user nearby. Though all on the same main road so could be localised.

...sounds similar to my experience here in Kalasin..

Noticed it was much slower the last few days. Occasionally needing to turn wifi off and on again to fix the problem a short time. Even though it was slow I have still been able to watch Netflix without a problem, so speeds not that bad.

I've been with TRUE for years, and it's in my ex's name--so I don't want to queue up at any other place and all the malarky...

Anyway, I had been paying 899b + tax for ages to get 10mbps (downspeed) until a Thai friend told me that I can get 16 down for that price WITH TRUE. It was correct, and it took a 10 second phone call. But of course, TRUE does not tell you about the new offers. You can stay in the dark for years. Is that a Thai thing? Why not offer the best service and remain competitive, without hiding stuff.

However, YES, the TRUE speeds have been suffering as well. Until the Gateway was proposed, I was getting my "new" 16 meg downspeed (on the LAN and the Wifi. The Wifi is often better for me! A bit faster). The upspeed is only 1meg anyway, and is always about 0.7 or 0.9.

For about 2 weeks , I have been getting anything between 5 and 12 downspeed. I test with the Ookla speed test.

True sent an engineer yesterday. The guy changed my modem. Every thing was OK, and I was back to 15-16 again...but tonight I am back down to 6 or 7 meg. I have called them again, and they will come on Monday.

What IS going on?

Eddy

• Like 1

3bb drops off randomly most days for me in Bkk, and early evening, 7-8pm speed slows to a "snail" speed

I have heard that rain can have a big effect on vhf/uhf transmissions, something to do with the raindrops being bigger than the wavelengths causing big interference. I also think that the govt is tinkering about with the gear looking at the feasibility of a single gateway. Social media must frighten the life out of this govt because it's the only thing they haven't managed to put the lid on.

• Like 2

True-H Internet has been very very slow the past few days, I thought it was my new phone.

I noticed that it just went up to 3.5G about an hour ago after a week of 2G and "E".

My True cable at the house is fast, they did some upgrading the other night.

My wifi through my phone is just over 30mb so that's all good.

Hopefully the 3G 4G issue is fixed, I'm sick and tired of thinking it's my new phone. blink.png

I am up here in Chiang Mai. Have a cable connected router on the 10MB 3bb scheme. For the last couple of years it`s been fantastic, getting download speeds of over 11MB. 2 months ago that changed, now lucky to receive 7MB download speeds. It`s more noticeable during the late hours and at weekends.

I think the government are slowing us down by wanting a piece of the action, although they say this is not happening.

This is the same as my experience.

I have been a 3BB customer for four years and the service has been great. I can only think of one occasion in all that time the service has been down and we needed to contact their customer support.

However, since about 2 months, the internet is so slow, sometimes it is barely enough to even watch a youtube video.

I use the fibre optic 30MB.

Funnily enough, all the issues I have experienced began when this talk of the single gateway started.

I have a wired modem connected to 3BB 10MB scheme. I've been quite happy with mine for years, but I've felt more frequent delays loading pages in the last few months. I don't use a download manager because Chrome takes care of that for me. I haven't been aware of any general slowdown of file downloading. Bear in mind some of the people offering files are on shoestring operations and don't have all that much bandwidth. Sorry I can't be more definite.

I'm with 3BB in Pattaya and my internet has been an absolute PITA for the past 2 weeks, I'm paying 2500 Baht a month for a 24Mbit line (highest non-fiber available) and my pings take 1500ms from here to BKK, down speed is at an all time low at 1.2mbps and my upload is at 0.02mbps ! It is completely unusable and I am also forced to buy expensive 3G packages for my mobile so I can go online. I've rang up 3BB multiple times - We'll call you back. NO ONE EVER CALLS BACK. What am I supposed to do? I doubt changing ISPs would make any difference, are they ever going to fix this sh** ?

Oh also worth mentioning, 3BB DNS is an absolute mess, on occasions you have to reload pages 10 times so they load properly.

Edited by natza
  • Like 1

I'm with 3BB in Pattaya and my internet has been an absolute PITA for the past 2 weeks, I'm paying 2500 Baht a month for a 24Mbit line (highest non-fiber available) and my pings take 1500ms from here to BKK, down speed is at an all time low at 1.2mbps and my upload is at 0.02mbps ! It is completely unusable and I am also forced to buy expensive 3G packages for my mobile so I can go online. I've rang up 3BB multiple times - We'll call you back. NO ONE EVER CALLS BACK. What am I supposed to do? I doubt changing ISPs would make any difference, are they ever going to fix this sh** ?

Oh also worth mentioning, 3BB DNS is an absolute mess, on occasions you have to reload pages 10 times so they load properly.

Yes totally agree with everything you have said. I am on a 30/3 Mbps and every day I experience speeds of less than what I pay for. I have asked their complaints team to contact me but so far nothing. The Office of the NBTC {regulatory body} is hard to make a telephone complaint to but I will send a email letter this time.

Oh, I have spoken to true and they have guaranteed a minimum speed of 30/3 Mbps. so I will break my contract ask for a full refund and go to True.

Edited by beerzy

2500 baht for 24Mbit ADSL2+ ?

You're getting ripped off. 30/3 3BB is 1200 baht/month. Yes, they don't offer this package on ADSL2 because they can't.

Get AIS for a fraction of this price or True online if they are available.

2500 baht for 24Mbit ADSL2+ ?

You're getting ripped off. 30/3 3BB is 1200 baht/month. Yes, they don't offer this package on ADSL2 because they can't.

Get AIS for a fraction of this price or True online if they are available.

Well I am well aware that I am getting ripped off, there's not much I can do about it though unless I'm moving out of my condo. Fiber's just not available here, they even had trouble getting that 24Mbit ADSL2+ line to work properly and honestly, it still doesn't work properly, lots of packet loss.

I think one of the biggest problems is that most people don't even notice that the line isn't working the way it should, as long as their Facebook APP on their iPhone works, it's all good. So if there's just one single person complaining about "stability issues" nothing's gonna be done about it.

Edited by natza

• 4 months later...

I am getting 16.5 mb/s to the US and 250ms latency. In Thailand I get 75mb/s and 8 ms latency. These are very normal speeds go me. I have found that there is so much wireless interference in my building that on wireless it can drop to 1/20th of a hardwired connection.

I use true , i pay for 30mb but lucky now to get 5 or 10 most of time, past 2 months have gone from good to total shit, i think it is govt dipshits , sometimes it says i am getting 40mb but cannot watch live streaming sports i used to watch easily, totally <deleted>--up, will be looking for a better provider if there is one, if is big brother judging people by there own standards we are all <deleted>--ed