METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Guys, do you really believe that all these nationalities are present in such high numbers as residents in Indonesia that they have to make a list for them to apply solely in Jakarta?

That would make no sense

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

Yes, but when they make rules, they have to make rules for ALL Nationalities .

Guys, do you really believe that all these nationalities are present in such high numbers as residents in Indonesia that they have to make a list for them to apply solely in Jakarta?

That would make no sense

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

As said nothing new!

Here is the full list updated last year!

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20150909-173935-504463.pdf

That would make no sense

If you want a METV from Indonesia you need to have permanent residency regardless of which office you apply at. You can apply at the Embassy or Consulates unless you are from one of the listed countries in which case you can only apply in Jakarta.

• Like 1

You need to have permanent residency in Indonesia to get the METV in Indonesia. Nationalities of the listed countries with permanent residency in Indonesia can only apply the METV in Jakarta.

Part of the requirement for the METV is to show proof of permanent residency in the country you are applying at and it is the same everywhere in the region. Laos, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam.

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

Why do you call this a loophole...you have something to hide?

I believe the visa exempt entry is a valid method of entering and leaving Thailand multiple times...in fact forever.

As is the Thai Elite visa for the oil millionaires.

I don't believe a genuine visitor needs a "loophole".

That would make no sense

If you want a METV from Indonesia you need to have permanent residency regardless of which office you apply at. You can apply at the Embassy or Consulates unless you are from one of the listed countries in which case you can only apply in Jakarta.

yes and if you needed a double TR visa in Vientiane you had to show 20k but they never asked.

And if you needed a TRvisa in Bali you needed a return flight for each entry but they accepted single.

And if you need a TR visa in Indonesia you need to show hotel booking, but they accept rental contract.

Do you want me to go on to the loooooong list of requirements that differ from the actual reality in each Thai embassy?

If you need residency, why dont they specify like in Laos the type of documents required to prove residency?

ie house registration, or resident permit, or even proof of employment IN INDONESIA like they did in Laos?

Here nothing, nada, zilch!

- 3 application forms and 3 photographs: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

- 4 application forms and 4 photographs: China, Iran and North Korea

(2) Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

(3) Copy of Temporary Residency Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Residency Permit (KITAP)

(4) Letter of employment

(5) Bank statement showing at least 7,000 USD (80,000,000 IDR) for the past 6 months

(6) Evidence of accommodation in Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(7) Return tickets in and out of Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(8) Application fee of 2,800,000 IDR (non-refundable)

They do......

(3) Copy of Temporary Residency Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Residency Permit (KITAP).

Wouldn't employment in Indonesia would be assumed if resident. Maybe they will accept foreign employment (doubt it), but unless the person is resident then they wont get the visa.

So, visa exempt entries or single entry tourist visas will be the only practical visitor visas. Digital nomads and oil workers not catered for.

It is their country, but I feel this is a mistake.

I don't now about digital nomads, but for oil workers there will still be the visa exempt entry, depending on nationality, and I see no reason why they should not be able to get the METV. They have a work permit in the country where they reside and thus qualify for the METV.

A huge mistake and will impact lots and lots of people.

First visa runners, then ED, the Out/In and now this.

Get your stuff in order or get out is certainly the stance of immigration now.

Some may say it is about time but will leave a lot of people in a mess imo

Then it is not a "huge mistake", it is the way things should be.

OK - Now think for a moment you are a fly on the wall at this this first meeting - Someone must have said at some point something like:

"Our objective is to solve the problem we have, which is....(Blank)...."

- "And if we make the long term tourists go home every 6 months this will be the solution."

Question: Can someone fill in the (blank) with the possible problem

My attempt is way too thin, but here are a few.

1). Preventing foreigner employment without getting the right visa

- But with just 0.56% Thailand's official unemployment rate (as of the end of 2014) can this be really seen as a problem.

2). Force schools to provide the correct employment based upon the right visa and no longer expect foreigner English teachers to work illegally through no option.

- Possibly, but I have no experience to comment on this - Could this create more illegal over-stayers

3). Not maximized revenues from the back2back multiple tourist visa users that could be achieved from border runs more often on a single visa

- OK this one is a wild and desperate attempt (especially since we also do not know if any back2back single tourist visa will be allowed.)

4). Erosion of Thainess by cultural long term foreigners staying here

- Possibly, but then this is not a problem being solved, but rather a fear being prevented and would be more similar to the recent stopping alcohol sales rule 300 meters of a school, which is more a moral judgement and not really problem solving.

I am personally stuck with trying to find any conclusive answer to the (Blank).

And hence if there is no real tangible problem being solved here and its just a moral standpoint - Who then will be next...The over 50's?

Edited by spambot
  • Like 1

It's not surprising at all they just follow suit.

You can stay in Thailand for a total of 5 months without getting

stopped at the Immigration if you arrive here by air to get a visa-

exempt stamp of 30-day stay, extend it for 30 days, go to one of

the Thai Embassies or Consulates for a single-entry 60-day TV

and extend it for 30 days, which will all cost you 4,800B.

• Like 2

Interesting they include proof of marriage as one of the options, as usually such people would apply for a non-o. A 12 month ME non-o will cost about the same? Much better option compared to this 6 month METV.

The real gotcha here is the requirement to show proof of funds, and employment, not limited to the country of your pp, but you need to be living and working (legally) in the country where you apply.

Perhaps a flood of motorbikes, cars, huge tvs and many other 'toys' for sale soon? High-end desktops and sound systems are on my radar... laugh.png

So if for instance I am an Australian over 60 but retired early, I need to be able to prove I am employed in Australia to obtain I double-entry tourist visa in my country? Even though I have no job but have enough money to support myself?

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

OK - Now think for a moment you are a fly on the wall at this this first meeting - Someone must have said at some point something like:

"Our objective is to solve the problem we have, which is....(Blank)...."

- "And if we make the long term tourists go home every 6 months this will be the solution."

Question: Can someone fill in the (blank) with the possible problem

My attempt is way too thin, but here are a few.

a). Preventing foreigner employment without getting the right visa

- But with just 0.56% Thailand's official unemployment rate (as of the end of 2014) can this be really seen as a problem.

cool.png. Force schools to provide the correct employment based upon the right visa and no longer expect foreigner English teachers to work illegally through no option.

- Possibly, but I have no experience to comment on this and might create more illegal over-stayers

c). Not maximized revenues from the back2back multiple tourist visa users that could be achieved from border runs more often

- OK this one is a wild and desperate attempt (especially since we also do not know if any back2back single tourist visa will be allowed.)

d). Erosion of Thainess by cultural long term foreigners staying here

- Possibly, but then this is not a problem being solved, but rather a fear being prevented and would be more similar to the recent stopping alcohol sales rule 300 meters of a school, which is more a moral judgement and not really problem solving.

I am personally stuck with trying to find any conclusive answer to the (Blank).

And hence if there is no real tangible problem being solved here and its just a moral standpoint - Who then will be next...The over 50's?

They said it, they want to target ASEAN tourists. 5.2 millions of Chinese are coming this Nov-Dec alone.

Translation: We have enough Chinese to get rid of the long stayers farangs

China is starting to look good. They are a grown up country that welcomes westerners and does not have a problem with visa running. Ten year tv for americans is possible. All you wannabe immigration agents who say that a genuine tourist does not stay for a long time please explain why two grown up countries China and India both offer ten year tourist visa for US citizens?

• Like 2

China is starting to look good. They are a grown up country that welcomes westerners and does not have a problem with visa running. Ten year tv for americans is possible. All you wannabe immigration agents who say that a genuine tourist does not stay for a long time please explain why two grown up countries China and India both offer ten year tourist visa for US citizens?

Interesting they include proof of marriage as one of the options, as usually such people would apply for a non-o. A 12 month ME non-o will cost about the same? Much better option compared to this 6 month METV.

The real gotcha here is the requirement to show proof of funds, and employment, not limited to the country of your pp, but you need to be living and working (legally) in the country where you apply.

Perhaps a flood of motorbikes, cars, huge tvs and many other 'toys' for sale soon? High-end desktops and sound systems are on my radar... laugh.png

So if for instance I am an Australian over 60 but retired early, I need to be able to prove I am employed in Australia to obtain I double-entry tourist visa in my country? Even though I have no job but have enough money to support myself?

There will be no double-entry tourist visas to apply for after Nov. 13th !

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

Because unfortunately China's air is unbreathable and India's water is poisoned, not Thailand yet.

• Like 1

It's not surprising at all they just follow suit.

You can stay in Thailand for a total of 5 months without getting

stopped at the Immigration if you arrive here by air to get a visa-

exempt stamp of 30-day stay, extend it for 30 days, go to one of

the Thai Embassies or Consulates for a single-entry 60-day TV

and extend it for 30 days, which will all cost you 4,800B.

Too

Good post - Very practical - Especially needed in the wake of the bad news today.

Not saying anyone will like it, but its a solution - with calculated cost and allows decisions to be made.

• Like 1