METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Relax guys. I just got good news. Don't ask me for the source. I won't name it. Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

I feel already sorry for the old grumpy farts who think they understand Thais and their mentality better then themselves. tongue.png

I haven't seen one rumour from an un-named source posted on this forum come true yet!

But it's entirely possible that a "farang" qualifies for the METV from Laos if they have a Lao stay permit or work permit or house registration and ID and a have Lao employer. I'm sure many qualify.

sure there might be a few ( but very few can show $8,000 in the bank for 6 months, all hotels booked, a job)

AND

why in the world would they want a 6 month multi entry visa if there working when they can enter visa exempt for a few weeks at a time to do their shopping??

• Like 1

I think you misinterpret the idea. What they are looking for is people stupid enough to leave about 275,000 baht sitting around in a bank account for six months earning minimal income, instead of properly investing it. Such people can be expected to be much more easily scammed than those who are more savvy with their money. Those who can afford to come, but more cost conscious, are not the target market the Thais are after.

Those who are genuinely wealthy will usually not have large amounts lying around for six months as cash, but can easily find ways to come if they have sufficient motivation.

Those who are genuinely wealthy consider 5,000 pounds pocket change, not a 'large amount' at all...

Most people who get scammed are wealthy, old aged and alone.

My observation is that most short term visitors to Thailand allow themselves to be scammed to some degree. Obviously, those suckered into jewelry and gambling scams are a small minority, but I do not see those age restricted, and those caught often cannot afford their loss.

Relax guys. I just got good news. Don't ask me for the source. I won't name it. Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

I feel already sorry for the old grumpy farts who think they understand Thais and their mentality better then themselves. tongue.png

I haven't seen one rumour from an un-named source posted on this forum come true yet!

But it's entirely possible that a "farang" qualifies for the METV from Laos if they have a Lao stay permit or work permit or house registration and ID and a have Lao employer. I'm sure many qualify.

sure there might be a few ( but very few can show $8,000 in the bank for 6 months, all hotels booked, a job)

AND

why in the world would they want a 6 month multi entry visa if there working when they can enter visa exempt for a few weeks at a time to do their shopping??

You're right! The majority of the few that qualify wouldn't want or need to apply. I only pointed that out as some Farang will qualify by right so his source/claim may be true. True but irrelevant if the Farang getting the METV are Lao residents.

Edited by elviajero

why in the world would they want a 6 month multi entry visa if there working

when they can enter visa exempt for a few weeks at a time to do their shopping??

What about the guy who want to come play golf in Thailand every week-end?

Visa Exempt entries quickly become a problem when you use them repeatedly...

• Like 1

I called the Thai Embassy in Berlin an hour ago and they said METV are available for anyone that meets the requirement and can be issued as often as needed. If applicants are not working in Germany but can proof they have sufficient funds, they can apply as well but they insist on return flights back to Germany. I told them I own a condo in Bangkok and don't stay in hotels and they advised me bring a copy of my Tabian Baan (Yellow) and the registration document of the unit.

As in regards of how many time a foreigner is able to enter Thailand on a single entry tourist visa, they had no additional details and it's up to the Interior Ministry to make further announcements but SE will always be available via the consultates and embassies around the world including within Southeast Asia.

I dont think there are many guys who wanna get here on Sat/Sun to play golf, unless youre talking about some wealthy sob who's gonna have no problem whatsoever. The poor are the target, they're gonna suffer, myself included.

why in the world would they want a 6 month multi entry visa if there working

when they can enter visa exempt for a few weeks at a time to do their shopping??

Visa Exempt entries quickly become a problem when you use them repeatedly...

Yes, you have identified the kind of felang who would want an METV :

He must be living in Laos.

Have permanent residency in Laos .

Must have a job in Laos .

Must get permission from his boss and

Must want to play golf in Thailand every weekend

How many people will fit into this category ?

• Like 1

AND

Exactly.

The new METV looks so ridiculous I couldn't even see any point in it

other than just doing away with a double-(triple) entry TV but this is

what we must live with as long as we live or stay here. I mean we

must love them for it. They'll be losing a lot in the end anyway.

I called the Thai Embassy in Berlin an hour ago and they said METV are available for anyone that meets the requirement and can be issued as often as needed. If applicants are not working in Germany but can proof they have sufficient funds, they can apply as well but they insist on return flights back to Germany. I told them I own a condo in Bangkok and don't stay in hotels and they advised me bring a copy of my Tabian Baan (Yellow) and the registration document of the unit.

Seems it's fine to live here as long as needed on tourist visas then, and that was never the issue. A totally legitimate way to stay in Thailand long term. Just need a nominal amount of cash to support oneself.

• Like 1

Seems it's fine to live here as long as needed on tourist visas then, and that was never the issue. A totally legitimate way to stay in Thailand long term. Just need a nominal amount of cash to support oneself.

The requirements to meet just for a tourist visa look way too ridiculous, I must say.

Edited by Too
  • Like 1