METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Would anyone have have expected the METV to look like this when they first announced they were considering a 6 month multi entry tourist visa? I fear the rest of us are next on the Thai hit list.

Yeah to think everyone was rejoicing to the coming of METV... where are they now?

• Like 2

And Indonesia follows...

News : Thailand launches the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) scheme

From 13 November 2015 onwards, applicants with permanent residence in Indonesia can apply for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Denpasar, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Medan, and the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Surabaya.

The METV application fee is 2,800,000 IDR, with a visa validity of six months and the duration of stay of up sixty days per visit.

Required documents:

(1) Visa Application form(s) and photographs: Completed and signed Visa Application form(s) and recent photographs (size 3.5x4.5 cm).

Most applicants are required to present 1 Visa Application form and 2 photograph, except nationals of the following countries who must apply at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta only:

- 3 application forms and 3 photographs: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

- 4 application forms and 4 photographs: China, Iran and North Korea

(2) Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

(3) Copy of Temporary Residency Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Residency Permit (KITAP)

(4) Letter of employment

(5) Bank statement showing at least 7,000 USD (80,000,000 IDR) for the past 6 months

(6) Evidence of accommodation in Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(7) Return tickets in and out of Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(8) Application fee of 2,800,000 IDR (non-refundable)

Please note that Consular officers reserve the right to require additional documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice.
The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the right to reject any visa application with insufficient documents or if the reasons given are not fully supported. The visa fee is non-refundable

• Like 1

Would anyone have have expected the METV to look like this when they first announced they were considering a 6 month multi entry tourist visa? I fear the rest of us are next on the Thai hit list.

Yeah to think everyone was rejoicing to the coming of METV... where are they now?

You were one of the first to predict where this was going.

• Like 1

So, visa exempt entries or single entry tourist visas will be the only practical visitor visas. Digital nomads and oil workers not catered for.

It is their country, but I feel this is a mistake.

Agreed, they are making Cambodia, Malaysia and even China better alternatives for some.

I have no idea about Cambodia or China but visa abuse/overstay is severely dealt with by the Malaysian Authorities.

http://www.jimlondon.net/reminder.html

• Like 1

And thank you for reminding it !

Although I would have preferred to be wrong...

• Like 1

You can scratch off Indonesia also.

"From 13 November 2015 onwards, applicants with permanent residence in Indonesia can apply for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Denpasar, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Medan, and the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Surabaya."

http://www.thaiembassy.org/jakarta/en/news/805/61987-Thailand-launches-the-Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa.html

• Like 1

And Indonesia follows...

News : Thailand launches the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) scheme

From 13 November 2015 onwards, applicants with permanent residence in Indonesia can apply for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Denpasar, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Medan, and the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Surabaya.

The METV application fee is 2,800,000 IDR, with a visa validity of six months and the duration of stay of up sixty days per visit.

Required documents:

(1) Visa Application form(s) and photographs: Completed and signed Visa Application form(s) and recent photographs (size 3.5x4.5 cm).

Most applicants are required to present 1 Visa Application form and 2 photograph, except nationals of the following countries who must apply at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta only:

- 3 application forms and 3 photographs: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen

- 4 application forms and 4 photographs: China, Iran and North Korea

(2) Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

(3) Copy of Temporary Residency Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Residency Permit (KITAP)

(4) Letter of employment

(5) Bank statement showing at least 7,000 USD (80,000,000 IDR) for the past 6 months

(6) Evidence of accommodation in Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(7) Return tickets in and out of Thailand (at least for the first trip)

(8) Application fee of 2,800,000 IDR (non-refundable)

Please note that Consular officers reserve the right to require additional documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice.

The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the right to reject any visa application with insufficient documents or if the reasons given are not fully supported. The visa fee is non-refundable

Mind you it does not say anywhere that they are getting rid of the 2&3 TR visa...

Am I wishful thinking?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

To think they just revamped the requirements for TR Visa...

Mr Vongbali are you reading this?

You can scratch off Indonesia also.

"From 13 November 2015 onwards, applicants with permanent residence in Indonesia can apply for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) at the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Denpasar, the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Medan, and the Royal Thai Honorary Consulate in Surabaya."

http://www.thaiembassy.org/jakarta/en/news/805/61987-Thailand-launches-the-Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa.html

As I suspected.

This is clearly something mandated by the MFA.

The wording used by those Embassy's/Consulates who have announced the availability of the METV is strikingly similar.

• Like 1

So, visa exempt entries or single entry tourist visas will be the only practical visitor visas. Digital nomads and oil workers not catered for.

It is their country, but I feel this is a mistake.

Agreed, they are making Cambodia, Malaysia and even China better alternatives for some.

I have no idea about Cambodia or China but visa abuse/overstay is severely dealt with by the Malaysian Authorities.

http://www.jimlondon.net/reminder.html

Who brought up overstays or visa abuse? Unless your point is that this will now be encouraged as legal options become more difficult to satisfy.

And thank you for reminding it !

Although I would have preferred to be wrong...

I wish you were wrong as well and even though I'm on a Non O, I'm definitely not rejoicing at this news.

• Like 2

I want a job as a METV officer in Vientiane !

Loads of time on Facebook ! biggrin.png

The consular staff in Vientiane will not be happy with this.

You kidding?

It's the official end of their nightmare,they used to be constantly swamped!

So if people have to go there twice as often (every three months rather than every six months) you think they will be less swamped?

Well, if u havent got 200k then why on earth you taking 6 months holidays... No other country will allow you in, without proving you can take care of yourself...

England Takes everyone.

And it not about the money.;

Why you need to show plane tickets, ain't a multi entry the whole I dead that you can come and go when you want. not to be help to a fix date.

Well, if u havent got 200k then why on earth you taking 6 months holidays... No other country will allow you in, without proving you can take care of yourself...

England Takes everyone.

Why you need to show plane tickets, ain't a multi entry the whole I dear that you can come and go when you want. not to be held to a fix date.

Edited by leighd7

THB 1,000 for 3 months, or THB 5,000 for 6 months.....bit of a no brainer really

Do you think they will not crack down on back to back SETV? ..... lol...Like my Thai business friend said yesterday, this is a change of culture for Thailand. I think the days of friendly Visas and Embassy's are well over. You need to go home, follow the rules and take it from there. The Laos embassy in Vientiane will be rejoicing as I have been there when there have been 700 people at the gates, 95% wanting a double-entry tourist visa! So many where obviously working, something had to break! I cannot see the Laos Embassy allowing never-ending back to backs as this METV has been the game changer.

It looks like you need now to have the right Visa to suit what the officialdom want. I can see a mass migration home over the next 6 months. In my own thoughts, the SETV will not be a vehicle as well for long term stays and the line has been firmly planted in the ground now.

Till your 50, easy days are now over.

England Takes everyone.

Why you need to show plane tickets, ain't a multi entry the whole I dead that you can come and go when you want. not to be help to a fix date.

Yep and France which is currently hosting 10 times more Thai than there are French in Thailand.. and we helped out for Tsunami...

• Like 1

Rkidlad is most likley right and a spike in marriage extentions coming. In other words that will get messed up as well. If they start changing the rules.

That or retirement visa... the one that seems the way out for everyone... I can feel a crackdown coming next...

Just copied from Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur:

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TOURIST VISA (TR)
Purpose: for Holiday or Vacation
Qualification:
Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.
Required documents:
1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).
2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).
3. Original Letter from employer to certify the employment.
4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.
5. Confirmed air ticket and hotel booking.
6. Supporting documents, i.e.,
6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or
6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.
Visa Fee
Single entry: RM 150 (effective 1 Sept. 2015)
Multiple entries (6-month): RM 750 (effective 13 Nov. 2015)
Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)
  • Like 1

So, the only loophole available for 3-week-on/3-week-off oil workers is now entry visa exempt through airports. This is tough for Thailand to prevent as the requirements for air tickets and money is satisfied. Having a limit of 90 days per year (as at land borders) is not really practicable. All they could do, perhaps, is have a red stamp on exit like "no visa exempt entry allowed until ...." that airlines had to look for. Otherwise, the xenophobes are winning.

As an oilworker this is a good visa for me smile.png

Glad to hear it. You are lucky that your job is based in your home country and you are willing to spend time there a couple of times a year to get the METV.

• Like 2

THB 1,000 for 3 months, or THB 5,000 for 6 months.....bit of a no brainer really

Do you think they will not crack down on back to back SETV? ..... lol...Like my Thai business friend said yesterday, this is a change of culture for Thailand. I think the days of friendly Visas and Embassy's are well over. You need to go home, follow the rules and take it from there. The Laos embassy in Vientiane will be rejoicing as I have been there when there have been 700 people at the gates, 95% wanting a double-entry tourist visa! So many where obviously working, something had to break! I cannot see the Laos Embassy allowing never-ending back to backs as this METV has been the game changer.

It looks like you need now to have the right Visa to suit what the officialdom want. I can see a mass migration home over the next 6 months. In my own thoughts, the SETV will not be a vehicle as well for long term stays and the line has been firmly planted in the ground now.

Till your 50, easy days are now over.

I think they will. Two TV and then they want to see the money in the bank account.

Just copied from Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur:

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TOURIST VISA (TR)

Purpose: for Holiday or Vacation

Qualification:

Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.

Required documents:

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s).

2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months).

3. Original Letter from employer to certify the employment.

4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.

5. Confirmed air ticket and hotel booking.

6. Supporting documents, i.e.,

6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or

6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.

Visa Fee

Single entry: RM 150 (effective 1 Sept. 2015)

Multiple entries (6-month): RM 750 (effective 13 Nov. 2015)

Gratis: Nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Rep. of Korea and Tunisia (fee exempted)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

When I did my original non O I emailed the embassy to check their requirements. Embassy emailed back saying happy to do it. Applied and they added several other requirements to the standard form. All good fun in the end.