Meet demanded after CTH move to drop local TV operators

Meet demanded after CTH move to drop local TV operators

BANGKOK: A MAJOR cable-TV operator in Bangkok is seeking to negotiate with veteran investor Wichai Thongtang, chairman of CTH, as the country's leading pay-TV provider is set to revoke its service via hundreds of local cable operators, starting next week.

"About 170 local cable-TV operators along with my company were informed about this change recently," Wichit Aurareevorakul, president of Charoen Cable TV, said yesterday. "But before that, we heard that CTH had sent letters directly to its subscribers advising that its service would no longer be available to those cable TV operators. So we need to talk with the head of CTH for further clarification."

Wichit said CTH's decision would have an impact on local TV subscribers, mainly upcountry, because some were operating under contracts with CTH.

After obtaining foreign content such as Barclays Premier League soccer matches, Fox channels and other entertainment programmes, CTH started providing its pay-TV service through cable lines owned |and managed by local TV operators.

Under this collaboration, CTH and each local cable operator had benefited under revenue-sharing conditions. Moreover, both CTH and local operators invested in upgrading analog cable to digital fibre lines in order to carry a large number of CTH's channels.

"If CTH's service is no longer, what will happen to those cable-TV operators?" Wichit asked.

After the merger between CTH and GMM Broadcasting, the operator of GMM Z pay-TV service, CTH turned its focus to extending its subscriber base through a satellite-based TV platform. GMM B is a subsidiary of the country's leading music and entertainment company, GMM Grammy.

Wichit believes that because of this move, CTH wanted to stop collaborating with local cable-TV operators and start communicating directly with subscribers about the new service via GMM Z satellite-TV receivers.

"If CTH cannot be reached for further discussion to solve this issue, we might take this dispute to court," he said.

CTH executives could not be reached for comment.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Meet-demanded-after-CTH-move-to-drop-local-TV-oper-30272453.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-07

CTH, another operator who lives in la-la land, an outfit who can't get their act right, as usual and very common

in this country, they ask for fees but when it comes to reliability and consistency, they're all over the place....

CTH, another operator who lives in la-la land, an outfit who can't get their act right, as usual and very common

in this country, they ask for fees but when it comes to reliability and consistency, they're all over the place....

They got their act together here about 12 months ago offering extended and discounted long term contracts that they obviously will no longer fulfil.

BPL wasn't the cash cow they had hoped for. The contract with BPL expires at the end of this season, and CTH isn't in a financial condition to compete in the bidding to re-up. Good riddance to this fly-by-night operation. You can't pin your profitability on a single entertainment broadcast. You need much more content, and CTH never had and never will offer that. A common failure in Thailand due to the lack of a forward-looking business plan.

BPL wasn't the cash cow they had hoped for. The contract with BPL expires at the end of this season, and CTH isn't in a financial condition to compete in the bidding to re-up. Good riddance to this fly-by-night operation. You can't pin your profitability on a single entertainment broadcast. You need much more content, and CTH never had and never will offer that. A common failure in Thailand due to the lack of a forward-looking business plan.

i wonder IF the BPL commentary is available in english,unlike the quarter,semi's and final OF THE RUGBY WORLD CUP shown on gmmz.only thai available.LIVE ON FOX SPORTS.

i wonder IF the BPL commentary is available in english,unlike the quarter,semi's and final OF THE RUGBY WORLD CUP shown on gmmz.only thai available.LIVE ON FOX SPORTS.

It is at the moment

We deliberately got 2 months behind in our monthly payment to CTH after being as regular as clockwork since the day they started.

We did this as we knew canceling and trying to get the 2,000 baht deposit back was going to be mission impossible.

The writing for CTH has been on the cards for a while.Relationships with their previous installers had become totally toxic.

As there are no effective consumer protection laws in this scountry its wise never to buy too far ahead be it TRUE or whoever.

Now getting our fix through a combo of EXPAT TV and 365 Sports.Paying only a month in advance.

Still no guarantees with company in this country.

We have CTH Cable TV. Every week the cable set up is changed and we can install the channels again in the right order on our TV.

Beginning October they ended with Sanook, an English spoken movie channel. Right now we have over 10 Thai spoken movie channels. Not even english spoken on the II channel. The only english spoken channels are ITV Choice (what really sucks), Universal Channel, Syfy and SET. Ofcourse these are all Thai subtitled.

Really thinking about getting another TV provider.

They got their act together here about 12 months ago offering extended and discounted long term contracts that they obviously will no longer fulfil.

they already cut me off about a week ago. Im done with CTH and True now going over to the internet having the cables installed as I write this.

They are all the same here I can not think of any company that is run proficiently.

I am with GMMZ and about 2 years ago they bought out a HD box and overnight they made it that you had to have the HD box to get all the Pay TV stations.I had just payed a years premium subsciption and I lost all my English stations.Calling was a complete waste of time so I turned to their facebook page and was amazed at the anger shown by Thais at this decision.Two weeks later they issued free HD boxes to all customers. The power of facebook in this country. Oh and you can not comment on their facebook page anymore. I wonder why?

Macro. Now there is a completely useless company since being bought out by Thais

Just so as I'm clear,this only applies to CTH channels supplied via third party providers? I'm supplied and billed directly by CTH for my CTH satellite connection so not affected? Switching to Internet for EPL and other programs isn't I think an option being in a village outside of Phimai as I don't think there's sufficient broadband capacity/speed. I do agree with other posts about how poorly run CTH is,with no concept of customer service but that seems endemic to most Thai companies where there appears to be no business acumen or intelligence.

they already cut me off about a week ago. Im done with CTH and True now going over to the internet having the cables installed as I write this.

It is the way of the future, TV directly steamed and stored over the internet. I wonder even if these android boxes will be superseded by Smart TVs, with the software and processing done there.I hope your internet speed works out, at the moment that limits me.

Ilikehdtv seems to be capable of delivering all the UK channels including Sky Sports , BT Sports and Euro Sports + Arena etc . There is the odd blip now and again but generally the service is quite good , They also respond quickly to emails even if on the rare occasion you are telling them you have a reception problem and in my case it was resolved quickly . I consider it good value at 450 baht a month.

For sure this service cannot be kosher at these prices and I wonder how they are able to accumulate the many channels that they transmit , however I have been with them for 4 months and shall continue to do so as I think they cannot be beaten for service or value .

Archived