is Koh Chang slowly dying?

Asiantravel

I was just in Koh Chang two weeks ago and I was shocked at how quiet it was. This is supported by the fact of just how many businesses have closed leaving vacant premises or existing businesses such as restaurants and even resorts are all scrambling to sell up. When I travelled from Bai Lan to the ferry on the way through the different districts it was like travelling through ghost towns.

Eventually I can only think there needs to be a huge change in attitude and thinking regarding public transport from the ferry to places like Bai Lan and Bang Bao because as the white taxi songthaews become less and less used inevitably their price keeps going up. But surely there is a limit to what they can charge or people simply won’t keep going to the island.

When you see so many empty pickup trucks travelling up and down the island as well as empty songthaews, I am wondering if they will need to come a time when some of these vehicles need to double up so instead of having one vehicle carrying two or three people to the diving boats at Bang Bao, that same vehicle would also be able to act as a public songthaew?

Maybe Koh Chang is the tip of the iceburg for tourism to small islands. Of course unless the can accommodate bus loads of Chinses tourists. But if the big tourist bus cannot get to a place they will have a hard time in the future getting tourists.To many other places for tourists with the interests that made Koh Chang and others like it popular. Places that donot kill their tourists.

Maybe Koh Chang is the tip of the iceburg for tourism to small islands. Of course unless the can accommodate bus loads of Chinses tourists. But if the big tourist bus cannot get to a place they will have a hard time in the future getting tourists.To many other places for tourists with the interests that made Koh Chang and others like it popular. Places that donot kill their tourists.

Oh Goodee! Now the Bangkok HiSo's will flood over there even more on weekends. The good news has to be not many Chinese tour parties.

I was there at the same time and noticed it too. Can't complain really, we had large stretches of beach all to ourselves...and I love it when it's peaceful and quiet.

Plus, even though the high season had already started few days prior, we got the low season prices.

But yeah, you're right....lots of places were closed and restaurants empty.

I actually like it this way. Better than samui or phuket. You can relax and enjoy the beach without hundreds of chinese tours.

Generally speaking of course, Chinese people don't go to the beach in Phuket except for an occasional photo op. They ALL get on the bus then they ALL get on a boat (which must go to some secret Chinese island with bird nest/shark fin soup) then reverse that a few hours later. Even on the boat they are covered head to toe with hats and scarves long sleeves and pants and huge sunglasses. They also often go to the malls and shocking as it may sound I have seen them buying quite a bit. If you want to avoid them though definitely hit the beach.

I was there last month and it wasn't busy but then that's the time of year I guess. I do thank Buddha that there are still a handful of beaches to visit that aren't overrun with bars, beach sellers and hoards of tourists, like these 14 here I also went to Railay Beach in Krabi not too long ago and it was amazing – hardly anyone there. Still one of the best beaches in Thailand that, but don't go in high season.

I used to go to Nature Beach Resort on Lonley Beach, but for me, it has gone to the dogs. Never again. The food is still quite nice, if you're lucky enough to get the useless staff to do their job for once.

This time I tried some new places and I was very pleased. I would recommend them:

Kwaimaipar Resort and SPA, 1500/night, small huts, clean, beautiful garden, excellent service, good atmosphere, no beach access, but 5 minutes walk you can go to Lisca beach. There you'll find a small bar/restaurant right on the beach, run by an Italian from Rome. Great pizzas there, trust me...nice cocktails too. Great service, but not the cheapest place. Beach was almost deserted.

Second Resort was Siam Bay. Big bungalows right on the beach, normally 3.500/night....2.200 during these 'desperate times'. Large beach with nice soft sand, clear water. Secluded resort, nice if you like it quiet. If you want to travel around, rent a bike.

I used to go to Nature Beach Resort on Lonley Beach, but for me, it has gone to the dogs. Never again. The food is still quite nice, if you're lucky enough to get the useless staff to do their job for once.

This time I tried some new places and I was very pleased. I would recommend them:

Kwaimaipar Resort and SPA, 1500/night, small huts, clean, beautiful garden, excellent service, good atmosphere, no beach access, but 5 minutes walk you can go to Lisca beach. There you'll find a small bar/restaurant right on the beach, run by an Italian from Rome. Great pizzas there, trust me...nice cocktails too. Great service, but not the cheapest place. Beach was almost deserted.

Second Resort was Siam Bay. Big bungalows right on the beach, normally 3.500/night....2.200 during these 'desperate times'. Large beach with nice soft sand, clear water. Secluded resort, nice if you like it quiet. If you want to travel around, rent a bike.

If a small hut , not even on the beach , is 1500 a night its any wonder theres few tourists there.

1500 baht is now $60 AUD , and that sounds like a lot for a grass hut 5 minutes walk to a beach.... a tidal one at that.

When we stayes there 10 years ago and then again the second time. We paid 300 bart per night with aircon room and tv. Off season. It was awsome including breakfast. The second time was nowhear near as good as the 1st,could see it was becoming a bar scene. Also big hotels being built. So we stopped . Will go again.

it was a great place to stay low key and laid backed and minimal traffic then they got roro ferry´s that was the end of that, everybody and there dog arrived

they built right on the beach even a pool overlooking the sea on white sands.There is no reason to go there anymore,

My experience with Koh Chang includes a 4 hour wait in the car park to get onto a ferry , and another 4 hour wait on the island to get back onto the ferry. Dead loss, Sure, went at the wrong weekend, but anyway found the place to be just another previously lovely Thai place now spoilt by untrammelled development. Wouldn't bother going back.

This pearl of an island has changed badly the last ten years. They have been building it seems without planning, and a lot of this resorts have been buildt on state land. I mean things change everywhere, but the change done to Chang most of it done while the country were under political chaos and no control, building permits and so on. It is a bloody shame, part of Lonely Beach is now a garbage dump. The army need to start down there and tear down many of the beach restaurants with their run down huts and garbage overflowing, look at the back of the restaurants. The place could be made nice again and people/turists would come back. The road from white sand to Bang Bao used to be a nice scenic ride from village to village, now it's just one big ugly village. Result, tourism must have gone down by at least 50 prosent. Was down there end of september, normally the start of the season, we basically had white sand beach to our self. Even the man with the metal detector on White Sand, walking up and down the beach has given up and i guess moved on to greener pastures.

I went there for a week last year and enjoyed my stay. The cost of accommodation was higher than other places but the biggest downer for me was the mafia taxis. Long waits at the pier to ensure the songthaew was full and then unbelievably high charges for the ride. Enjoyed the Island but getting around was not enjoyable.

it was a great place to stay low key and laid backed and minimal traffic then they got roro ferry´s that was the end of that, everybody and there dog arrived

they built right on the beach even a pool overlooking the sea on white sands.There is no reason to go there anymore,

They have knocked down small bungalows and replaced them with high end bungalows on the sand hills on White Sands.Everything changes and this great island was never going to stay the same,but it is still pretty good.For a start,no f.....g jet skis,no para sailing,no taxi mafia,never had umbrella forests and the people are still laid back,as are the tourists that go there.The bonus for me is you can go for long swims in clean water,also long walks in the arvo,with a beer or three on the way back.Sure,not the same as 25 years ago when they only had generator power in the evening,but beats the other big islands hands down.Miss the dacca though.

If a small hut , not even on the beach , is 1500 a night its any wonder theres few tourists there.

1500 baht is now $60 AUD , and that sounds like a lot for a grass hut 5 minutes walk to a beach.... a tidal one at that.

Maybe I didn't describe it properly. They're not small bamboo huts, but rather small bungalows, with a nice mattress (not the typical stone slab mattresses you usually find), all very cosy and clean. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. All together a nice experience and that's why I'm happy to recommend it.

But you can easily find it online and make up your own mind ;-)

Archived