is Koh Chang slowly dying?

Asiantravel

I spent a week in this sea view room at the Emerald Cove last month, my 15th visit to the island. 1900 baht, including breakfast. Y'all go somewhere else. LOL

22874414791_b50bbe6141_b.jpg

22874413491_eef884f60b_b.jpg

22849763622_9a24a994d2_b.jpg

5844661014_dd83361a2b_b.jpg

22874411801_79358c337b_b.jpg

1900 barth for the week or per night?
If its per week,its a bargain. We paid 300 bart per night for the room including breakfast for the 2 of us in a resort just like that 10 years ago. If its per night,thanks for the imfo its a good warning for us less cashed up folks to stay away from.

I completely agree with some of the other posters.

Dead is alive. The less development the better (though of course not zero development).

Was there back in the late 1990s and the island was a (relatively) untrammeled paradise. We took a Sawngthew to the end of the road and checked in to the old Siam Bay Resort on Kai Bae beach. We had a private, thatch-roof bungalow right on the beach for B250/night (bucket-flush toilet! Those were the days...).

We spent our days lazing on the nearly deserted beach except the 60-something lady who touted you for a massage-- "no hanky panky!" she’d say. Sometimes we'd hike through the forest over to the German lady's bungalows on Lonely Beach (which really was lonely at the time) and have some food and beers. Or we'd head over to the strangely named Swiss-owned backpacker place, The USA-Vega Classical Restaurant, which had an atypically great restaurant for that kind of establishment: awesome, exotic banana flower salad and grilled fish (boneless! how often do you get than in Thailand?). Back to the bungalow for a nap. Then sunset and drinks from the high perch of the Kai Bae Huts on a promontory at the very end of the beach. Ah, those were the days...

I remember seeing like 2 bars (an exaggeration) with exactly zero lady-boys (not an exaggeration). Ah, those were the days...

Haven't been back since, mostly because of news of all the development, and had pretty much given up on the place. But now that it sounds like it "de-developing," I might give it another shot.

I actually like it this way. Better than samui or phuket. You can relax and enjoy the beach without hundreds of chinese tours.

Generally speaking of course, Chinese people don't go to the beach in Phuket except for an occasional photo op. They ALL get on the bus then they ALL get on a boat (which must go to some secret Chinese island with bird nest/shark fin soup) then reverse that a few hours later. Even on the boat they are covered head to toe with hats and scarves long sleeves and pants and huge sunglasses. They also often go to the malls and shocking as it may sound I have seen them buying quite a bit. If you want to avoid them though definitely hit the beach.

Not what I see when I go to Phuket....many marriages and photo shoots many chinese with families swimming....at Kamala beach

No I don't think it's slowly dying; always quiet this time of year etc.

The place looks dead right now for sure, that appearance made worse because I recon supply has now exceeded demand with respect to almost all commodities on the island.

The general attitude of "build; and the farang will come" has not worked as well as it has in places like Phuket.

No airport, iffy ferries and poor roads are also negatives in this equation.

But the island now has a tesco lotus; and a big c currently under construction.

Some existing foreign business owners on the island are having the squeeze put on them (can't say too much - mod trouble); and some will bail out soon if the current high season is no better than the last.

Thai's are poised to fill the gaps they are creating; they seem to think their business models superior to those they hope to replace.

I still go to the island every couple of months; but I make my visits at selected times and days to suit my requirements.

I've just booked my next visit; mid next week, no Buddha days, Friday or weekend.

I'm with the over 60 crowd now; and not need to party party party as much now; busy/slow/quiet/noisy are all relative.

Pick your compromise; 'cas their aint no paradise brother.

Oops posts that are a little too truthfull will be removed . So just scout around but dont put it too truthfully. Ummm okay . Oh its all lovely . Hows that ?

Seems to be a lot of it about cobbler.

I'm guessing this public internet forum is subject to regulations, requirements and restrictions that us mere mortals are unaware of.

Nudge nudge wink wink say no more

l pay

Still 50 baht from ferry to White Sands and plenty of people around 2 weeks ago.It is the low season you know.

but I don't think many people would agree to pay 200 baht from the ferry to Bang Bao which is what I was forced to pay ? And it's not only the white taxi Mafia on the island it's also the blue taxi Mafia from the ferry to Trat. 8 people each forced to pay 100 baht (it used to be 60)

No I don't think it's slowly dying; always quiet this time of year etc.

The place looks dead right now for sure, that appearance made worse because I recon supply has now exceeded demand with respect to almost all commodities on the island.

The general attitude of "build; and the farang will come" has not worked as well as it has in places like Phuket.

No airport, iffy ferries and poor roads are also negatives in this equation.

But the island now has a tesco lotus; and a big c currently under construction.

Some existing foreign business owners on the island are having the squeeze put on them (can't say too much - mod trouble); and some will bail out soon if the current high season is no better than the last.

Thai's are poised to fill the gaps they are creating; they seem to think their business models superior to those they hope to replace.

I still go to the island every couple of months; but I make my visits at selected times and days to suit my requirements.

I've just booked my next visit; mid next week, no Buddha days, Friday or weekend.

I'm with the over 60 crowd now; and not need to party party party as much now; busy/slow/quiet/noisy are all relative.

Pick your compromise; 'cas their aint no paradise brother.

I don't think you can rely on Tesco Lotus and a big C currently under construction as being an indicator of the ongoing success of this island? They were both probably planned ages ago and well beyond the stage where they could pull the plug.

My first time ever on the island was November 2007 which was the month the Dusit Princess (now Mercure Hideaway) officially opened.

I remember well Koh Chang was an absolute hive of activity at that time and there was an excitement in the air. All of that has gone. Have you seen the commercial area in Bang Bao village where you walk between the shops down to the lighthouse? That place used to be packed and every available shop was tenanted. Now it's decisively gloomy.

and if the place still held that much potential you wouldn't find that every man and his dog seems to be wanting to sell their business - and I'm talking about Thai's not foreigners. They know what's happening.

it was a great place to stay low key and laid backed and minimal traffic then they got roro ferry´s that was the end of that, everybody and there dog arrived

they built right on the beach even a pool overlooking the sea on white sands.There is no reason to go there anymore,

They have knocked down small bungalows and replaced them with high end bungalows on the sand hills on White Sands.Everything changes and this great island was never going to stay the same,but it is still pretty good.For a start,no f.....g jet skis,no para sailing,no taxi mafia,never had umbrella forests and the people are still laid back,as are the tourists that go there.The bonus for me is you can go for long swims in clean water,also long walks in the arvo,with a beer or three on the way back.Sure,not the same as 25 years ago when they only had generator power in the evening,but beats the other big islands hands down.Miss the dacca though.

Did you honsetly say: CLEAN WATER ??? Open your eyes, mate. The waters around Koh Chang are one big sewer, with every hotel dumping straight into the ocean. Coral has mostly died out. People get rashes. filthy scum on the water.

I sold my business a few years back and now I can say just in time. I have many great memories of the island 5+ years back but like the previous poster said the waters are a sewer now, corals almost completely dead and the greed of the Thais on the island just went too far.

I sold my business a few years back and now I can say just in time. I have many great memories of the island 5+ years back but like the previous poster said the waters are a sewer now, corals almost completely dead and the greed of the Thais on the island just went too far.

Totally agree! A great place until (for us) about 8 years ago - then building everywhere, rip-offs at every corner and the beaches looking like crap. Some locals that we'd known for a few years said that people from Isaan and the South were buying everything up/building like mad - the real locals weren't happy about it all - but money talks....

We haven't been back since - nice to have the good memories (perhaps apart from the absolutely last visit we made) - we go to other places, now, and I doubt we'll ever set foot on KC again..

Lucky for you that you got out "in time" and hopefully the island will improve again in the coming years.......

Mid next (this) week huh?

We look forward to your arrival with great anticipation (and fangs bared)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Koh Chang has a 6 month season...after that the weather is too wet and unpredictable to maintain a high number of visitors. Many businesses cut their losses and close until Oct/Nov when the weather improves.

KC does however have it's own set of problems - the first being a self-interested, greed obsessed groiup who run the place.

The island is physically very large (second after Phuket, but due to the fact it is shaped a bit like a "witch's hat" with a mountainous national park in the center, the actual land available for development is quite scarce. It has lost almost all it's beaches now as they are either polluted by drains and run off or have become the private backyards of the more expensive resorts.

as the run-off from the island has got worse and worse the local coral and sea-life has diminished and the dive businesses have to move further and further off-shore to find good sites.

The road infrastructure on the island is a joke and some of the developments are highly suspect- encroaching on the national park and digging into the hillls to creatate "leallly" falt space to build on. Recent collapse of the building has shown that whatever regulations there are simply aren't enforced.

So threr island's "natual space" and coastline is now just about full (at least those with useable beaches etc. and the quality is poor. Prices have plummeted due to over development and under patronisation...... basically the island has Shat in its own nest and is reaping the rewards.

i think it would be difficult ever to undo the damage to the island, but hopefully it will stand out as a warning to others.

I spent a week in this sea view room at the Emerald Cove last month, my 15th visit to the island. 1900 baht, including breakfast. Y'all go somewhere else. LOL

22874414791_b50bbe6141_b.jpg

22874413491_eef884f60b_b.jpg

22849763622_9a24a994d2_b.jpg

5844661014_dd83361a2b_b.jpg

22874411801_79358c337b_b.jpg

1900 barth for the week or per night?
If its per week,its a bargain. We paid 300 bart per night for the room including breakfast for the 2 of us in a resort just like that 10 years ago. If its per night,thanks for the imfo its a good warning for us less cashed up folks to stay away from.

f

Firstly one has to notice that the prices seem to be less on average now than they were a few years back...this would suggest that there is a problem attracting visitors.

Secondly it is precisely this kind of development that is cause =for so much concern......where does all the pooh go? Where does all the shower water go? how about the beach itself? most seem to have excavators on at least once a year to put the sand back or move it around.

there is no way you can have so many of these resorts without a major impact on the environment, which in the case of Koh Chang is/was it's main selling point.

Of course a plate of imported seafood and a bottle of second rate whisky is all it takes to please some customers

Prices aren't lower than a few years ago, prices are seasonal, and the Emerald Cove is a 5-star resort owned by the Marriott chain.

I'm fully aware of seasonal variations - I've been visiting the island since 2003 and there is a definite lowering of pricing ...i thought most people would already be aware of seasonal fluctuations,. I really didn't think that needed pointing out, as I already alluded to it in an earlier post.

Unregulated over-development has led to an over supply of rooms and consequently reduced the price that can be asked. The island as said has had a 2 decade long program of shitting in its own nest.

Prices aren't lower than a few years ago, prices are seasonal, and the Emerald Cove is a 5-star resort owned by the Marriott chain.

I'm fully aware of seasonal variations - I've been visiting the island since 2003 and there is a definite lowering of pricing ...i thought most people would already be aware of seasonal fluctuations,. I really didn't think that needed pointing out, as I already alluded to it in an earlier post.

Unregulated over-development has led to an over supply of rooms and consequently reduced the price that can be asked. The island as said has had a 2 decade long program of shitting in its own nest.

You've probably never been to the eastern side of the island.

Name one accommodation that has lowered prices over the years. I suspect you're confused by fluctuating currency rates. Naturally mass tourism puts a heavy strain on the ecosystem, still better than Samui or Phuket. If you want underdeveloped, go to Koh Kood. See my trip report

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/890970-the-koh-kood-experience/

Archived